Da baggy era, a fashion retropective.

Akademiks :smokin
What ever happened to that brand?
I just was cleaning out my apartment, moms moved out. And she left her old things there. I found mad clothes that she never gave us. Brand new and mad big!

Gotta find a way to donate them
Funny enough mom dukes used to be like why you guys like your clothes so big?
Now she saying why y'all clothes so small?

What happened to Urban brand as a whole?

That era of black and minority owing their clothing line is now simmer down to t-shirts.

Seems everyone is into couture fashion and forward fashion.

i ain't going back...who dresses bigger besides Kanye's outta shape self & Travis Scott's time warp fits?

Uh, a lot of people? High fashion? :lol:

Fear of God, Balenciaga, Vetements, Acne, Gucci, Off White. The trend has been oversized for a while.

828F1087-096C-4056-B045-8B0FBAA3CF04.jpeg

11CD21E9-7CFE-4F09-B6B0-BDDE9714562E.jpeg

CB32E0E8-0F44-4FD6-A5C5-F775AA1162AF.jpeg

76A22467-E374-4C16-95D9-62C120A645C9.jpeg

9593D462-0060-43DF-AD76-00FA937F9A40.jpeg

ninja dont go under 125th man. Everyones in oversized silhouettes in Soho. The whole smartwear streetwear look is oversized. Not the same as baggy, but def bigger silhouettes.

I seem to remember a 100+ page thread on Rich Yung back in the day. I always thought they pieces was nice but couldn't afford them back in the day.

One of my best memories from college was I busted out a Houston Oilers throw back fitted with the Cavi military themed shirt baby blue with red accents. Couldn't tell me nothing that night.

Jim, Ye, Pharrell, Wale.

Modern rap fashion is based around these guys from 04-11. They all played their respective parts in various years/lanes. But it comes back to them, as far as the “transition” from baggy clothes and the general hip hop/urban fashion culture is today.
You absolutely have to through Wayne in there. He got even influenced people to blackout on drugs and get almost always terrible face tattoos.

urban brands peak was phat farm, rocawear, enyce, ecko unlimited, etc.

they're a particular price point, when authentic jerseys started to proliferate hood fashion, a guy can sport a authentic clippers Lamar odom jersey, matching fitted, coordinated kicks and good denim for example, and crush a regular Urban brand shirt... price wise and fly wise....

basically da jersey era ramped up because it was a fashion arms race...you didn't wanna repeat wearing similar jerseys so you copped more, and you searched high and low for da matching fitted, at first just matching color was satisfactory, then da bar was raised so you HAD to have da matching team fitted...

early jersey era, see puff rocking a raiders jersey wit a Falcons fitted :lol:

marketplace shrunk because da jersey era was EXPENSIVE... M&N jerseys, warm up jackets, warm up suits, Nike, Champion, Reebok, authentics, 4 major sports leagues, all da Sneakers to match em...

pssh...urban wear ain't have a chance...

its no surprised when jay-Z said he's too grown for jerseys da backlash was swift because there was alot of folks that were
bitter by that era and felt left behind because you had to spend
AT LEAST almost 400 bucks on ur outfit to even walk out ur house..EVERY DAY.

that grown and sexi era had folks thinking they was killing it wit over sized fitteds they held over from da jersey era, and 3XL matching button ups they bought Marshalls for like 15 bucks :lol:

that era got killed by Jim Jones and da rest of da diplomats....

between Capo slimmin up, corniness of da look and this...

camronwetwipes1.jpg
it was a wrap for da "grown sexy era"

urban wear came back re-furbished as "streetwear" but da players were different..more sophisticated approach, and more slimmed down.

da only Urban brand to make da jump to street wear was LRG, and that's cuz they were didn't really hit their stride until after da other brands fell by da wayside....

streetwear fell off because it was saturated as hell....when everything is street wear, nothing is.

da current era we're in is everything goes, with althlesiure wear setting da tone.

Last edited:

Fear of God, Balenciaga, Vetements, Acne, Gucci, Off White. The trend has been oversized for a while.

ninja dont go under 125th man. Everyones in oversized silhouettes in Soho. The whole smartwear streetwear look is oversized. Not the same as baggy, but def bigger silhouettes.

only da tops is oversized, that's an extension of Kayne yeezus era where folks was dressing wit stuff from luke Skywalker's closet.

Kyle Kuzma lookin ill sus

i ain't going back...who dresses bigger besides Kanye's outta shape self & Travis Scott's time warp fits?

A lot of the A$AP squad (who quite honestly them & Tyler were the first i seen pushing that) which means everyone 25 & under will still be running with that aesthetic

I still can't forgive rocky for making dirty AF1 Mids a "thing" and the crazy part is homie said he ain't even like it he just wanted to see how far his influence went :lol:

They def “left” lol. I don’t mean the company went defunct. But *****s are rocking them as urban fashion again, like in the early 00s.

Meek credited with the resurgence.

Okay perhaps regional they haven’t - my block still was rocking them.

When Vans bought dickies I thought they’d be easy to find with no branding collab but they’re still a pretty rare find

Back
Top Bottom