Dallas Mavericks Off-Season Thread: Welcome Dominique Jones.

Originally Posted by blaxoid

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Overreacting after one game, when a very impactful player is out.

I'm waiting to pass judgment on a losing team once we're all healthy. If Josh can't get healthy in a couple weeks and we're doing very poorly, I'll worry.

Remember, 2-7 last year turned into a still 50 win season.
What I meant more was that i'd rather have a 9 win season than a 50 Win, 2nd Round Exit season. I just don't think we've got what it takes to match up with the Spurs, Lakers, Celts, Cavs or Magic, so rather than be slightly better than mediocre i'd rather suck and be elite again in a few years.

Anyway, roster's set so I guess we'll have to make the most of it
We struggle with nimble, quick guards. Most elite teams don't have that, our weakness has been for a while our ability to guard backcourtplayers.

I think it's too quick to judge after one game, Foye/Arenas is a bad match-up for us.

Arenas
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Marion as a second option?
roll.gif
Right?
laugh.gif

I'm waiting to pass judgment on a losing team once we're all healthy. If Josh can't get healthy in a couple weeks and we're doing very poorly, I'll worry.
What does Josh solve that continues to ail this team? He runs hot-and-cold just like Jason Terry does, so he's still not a consistent secondoption... He doesn't shoot the 3 well, but he loves to shoot jumpers... He doesn't defend the perimeter nearly as well as he used to, so that'sstill an issue... He still fades late in the game so he doesn't help take pressure off Dirk late in games...

This team is more talented than it's been in the past, but they're still build all wrong...

I don't doubt they'll be somewhere in the 3-5 range in the West by the end of the season, but they're still gonna be a second round exit becausethey can't score or defend in the paint and they don't have a second guy that they can rely on every single night to take pressure off Dirk...

yea JA they'd REALLY like you over their at dallasbasketball.com. Just don't tell them you're Asian :smh:No really, I'm not joking about that

Come on Nowitness, on defense you weren't cringing every time you saw Barea JET and Kidd out there? JET and Barea played WAY too much for my taste. Give mea lot more Ross, and throw in Josh. Give us some more athleticism, some more defense. If Howard was out there, or if Marion and Ross were out there together,R. Foye is not getting off as much as he did in the second half.

If we were hitting on the perimeter tonight it would have freed up a lot more flexibility for Marion to get some more easy buckets, possibly Gooden too, whostunk to high heavens.

I also don't understand why the hell we have Kidd out there with Barea or JET and either of those two are dominating the ball. What the hell is up withthat. Give Kidd the ball and let him go to work. Let him post up, create plays for others, something is better than having Barea run in circles and try to makepasses he can't. It was hideous to watch.

I'm just saying, why panic after one game where we looked bad? Marion played his 3rd game with the Mavs, our team isn't at full strength.

I don't pull out the panic button until at least 1/4 of the season is over, not after one game. We had some bad tendencies, I'm sure Rick saw them.Yeah I want to win every game just like the rest of you, yeah we played bad tonight, but rather now at the beginning of the season than later on in the season.

I'd say we defended the paint very efficiently tonight. It was our perimeter defense that killed us the entire second half. Gilbert got to the hole alittle more than we would have liked, but other than him, and a few easy buckets from some of their bigs, our post-defense was fine.

I said it before and I'll say it again, two quick scoring guards give us fits when we are running small too because they shoot right over us, and Kiddcan't keep up. That's why i wanted Ross out there more. The kid was very impressive. Having Josh out there just gives us more lenght to guard guys likeFoye and Arenas. Other than Blatche, Wizards front court was pretty much neutralized.

Caron was inefficient, Haywood was stopped, Oberto got off a few easy buckets, but it happens. It was Foye and Arenas who killed us, who's fault is that?That lies on Kidd, JET, and Barea. They simply aren't athletic nor big enough to guard players like that. That's why I liked having Ross out there, atleast playing alongside Kidd, we didn't have a ****** trying to contain Arenas/Foye. The Wizards isolated Caron on Ross three straight plays, if I remembercorrectly, each time Caron got stopped, forced into the paint where he got blocked, forced to take a low % shot, or just give the ball up. Blatche was veryefficient yes, but I'm more worried about our backcourt getting destroyed. Ross and Howard help with that, but Ross only got 18 minutes, while Barea/JETgot a combined 60 minutes.

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

look at the bright side, at least deshawn stevenson didnt score or hit rim on us.
Had me rollin'
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
He hit that buzzer beater at the half though... too bad it was called off.

Im not going to panic, but I am dissapointed with how the team played. I thought defense would be better, there is still a hole at 2 guard with Josh out, andJet isnt bad on the offensive end but is a defensive liability. Wahsington will be a good team this season, but the Mavs still should have taken this game athome.

Barea, Kidd, and JET played a lot together last year too... That's nothing new...

IF we're hitting on the perimeter... We shot 35% from three last year and added Shawn Marion to the fold... That ain't gonna change... This teamdoesn't shoot well from the perimeter overall...

And I'm not panicking... I said all this over the offseason... More talented team on paper, but the same issues that have plagued them in the past stillplague them now... It's the same bad tendencies and short-comings that cost us games all year last year... Can't keep guys outta the paint and it turnsinto a short-jumper/lay-up fest as a result... Howard doesn't defend well as it is and you get him out there on a smaller, quicker guard he's bound toturn an ankle and miss another 3 weeks...

This team is what it is and what it's always been... A team that'll win 50+ games in the regular season, lose to teams it shouldn't lose to becauseof their inconsistency offensely due to their inability to score the basketball, and they'll struggle in the playoffs because they give up points in thepaint and can't rely on any one player every night to take some of the weight off Dirk's shoulders...

I refuse to get excited about this team until I'm given a reason to... And tonight was just another example why...

Who am I a homer with, exactly?

I defend Dirk like KLJ defends Cutler, but other than that?

That's a problem though (playing those three together).

I have no idea why Rick does it other than to have three shooters out there. It kills us on defense every single time.

I think we need to give Marion and Kidd more time. Given a bit of time, Kidd could make Marion into a much more efficient offensive threat.

We had some issues finishing around the basket tonight with Gooden and such, but I think those are things that can be resolved over the rest of the season. Iknow I'm always the optimist, and I definitely agree this is nothing to be excited over, but my biggest gripe is the way that Rick handled his rotation.

I mean hell throw out Beaubois if we're getting torched ALL NIGHT by their backcourt. He may commit some fouls but they were so hot I'd rather sendFoye to the line than have him constantly burn us with jumpers.

I still have faith that Howard could guard someone smaller than him, and allowing us to free up a bit on defense so we don't have midgets chasing guardsaround all game-long.

After how impressive Humphries was, you can't put him out there with Kidd and get the guy some easy baskets? That's pretty much all he did allpre-season was give us easy, around the bucket baskets.

Yes the tendencies were bad, but I'm not sure that it can't change over the season. We KNOW Marion, Dirk, and Gooden CAN finish around the basket,it's just getting into the mentality we need to get used to.

I'm not saying we played good tonight, I'm not blind, but I'm not gonna sit here and say everything we did tonight was wrong. We couldn't'capitalize on offense when given the opportunity, but our post defense was vastly better than anything I've seen since the 2006. Marion played very well,did everything we'd want him to do, but our back-court just wasn't there tonight, but they were playing so bad, Carlisle kept them out there. BenchJET's #%@ and get Ross out there, put Humphries in, get some easy buckets, put some players out there who will hustle every minute they're out there,don't have us get burned every possession on the perimeter.

It's why I wanted to bring in a guy like Marquis Daniels, but whatever. Ross isn't bad, but if you're only going to play him limited minutes in thesecond half when we need to have someone stop the opposite team on the perimeter, what's the point of having him.

I'd post more, but this LA/LA game just got interesting.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Who am I a homer with, exactly?

I defend Dirk like KLJ defends Cutler, but other than that?

anything that comes out of big 12 country your a homer about, that is any player or team in that area
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I hate AJ Abrams...

And most of my dudes are done with school or on their way out, anyways...

laugh.gif
I hate AJ Abrams...

And most of my dudes are done with school or on their way out, anyways...
Hater.
laugh.gif

And DatZ, for the most part that DallasBasketball commuinty is full of either straight up haters (similar to someone I know
laugh.gif
), or blind homers.

I'm somewhere in the middle there and I don't quite fit, just because I'm optimistic doesn't mean I don't notice our problems.

Originally Posted by Ryanbbn1

Originally Posted by NomadicSole21

Imagine Antawn Jamison back with this squad...im not saying their a title contender, but i think they'll be this season's Chicago Bulls in the playoffs.
dont compare us to those bums
laugh.gif

HAHA to all you gilbert haters
laugh.gif
im just saying. I really didn't think Arenas wouldmake that quick of an impact.

Arenas
pimp.gif
....anybody know why Nick Young was out? couldn't catch thegame...hopefully Blatche and McGee play hard all season
happy.gif

Originally Posted by xcg11pinoYx

Arenas
pimp.gif
....anybody know why Nick Young was out? couldn't catch the game...hopefully Blatche and McGee play hard all season
happy.gif

Young got the DNP-CD last night w. Mike James. Flip is going w. a 7-8 man rotation, and Nick didn't do anything in the preseason to help his cause.

Foye, Miller, and more specifically....OBERTO impressed the hell out of me last night. Oberto does most of the dirty work, and his b-ball IQ is off thecharts...

and what can you say about Gil? Dude looked GREAT. Just stay healthy....

McGee got 1 minute, and Blatche played 35 off the bench. I love how Flip is running the show (even if it's only one game)...it's like night/day withhow he runs the team compared to Sinbad.

Either way McGee needs more minute than that. Dude can play, and he is young as hell. Y'all ain't helping his development keeping him strapped to thebench.

dallas were double teaming arenas all game long, i guess you can say he's baaaaack
pimp.gif

good game mavericks! onto the next one

Man, the Wiz looked GOOD.

Watched the entire replay on League Pass this morning.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Marion as a second option?
roll.gif
Right?
laugh.gif

What does Josh solve that continues to ail this team? He runs hot-and-cold just like Jason Terry does, so he's still not a consistent second option... He doesn't shoot the 3 well, but he loves to shoot jumpers... He doesn't defend the perimeter nearly as well as he used to, so that's still an issue... He still fades late in the game so he doesn't help take pressure off Dirk late in games...

This team is more talented than it's been in the past, but they're still build all wrong...

I don't doubt they'll be somewhere in the 3-5 range in the West by the end of the season, but they're still gonna be a second round exit because they can't score or defend in the paint and they don't have a second guy that they can rely on every single night to take pressure off Dirk...

This.

I drank the Kool Aid after watching preseason games but spit it out last night.

Joe Johnson for Josh and French Cuff

Drew Gooden and Shawn Williams for Camby

I think we will see Josh traded before the deadline. I have nothing to back that up, but I feel like alot of the people with the Mavs are getting tired andimpatient with Josh Howard.

Back
Top Bottom