Delete/Lock...Draft talk over in JPZ's thread....

Originally Posted by MonopolyMan630

^ Thats good news to hear. Although I don't think the Kings would want to include JT in any trades.
I don't think so either. It'd have to be #4 pick and either the #24 or #31 and possibly donte.

Some stuff I found out about Rubio:
http://ballersnetwork.com/p/en/ballers/ricky-rubio/

6'9" wingspan
39" vertical jump

That's pretty good for an unathletic PG.

About the article, the only way I see the Grizzlies trading the pick is if they're able to move up and take Griffin. If we trade down in what I believe tobe a two player draft, then I would be upset unless we can get some solid players out the deal. Memphis needs to get something out of the deal that would makethem want to do it because the drop off in potential talent from 1 and 2 compared to 3 and below is tremedous IMO. I'm really interesting in Thompson fromthe Kings, and I think that's the only player Memphis would go after if they were attempting to make a deal with them. If we not going to satisfy our needat the 4 spot by trading Rubio, there's no need of doing it.

39 inch vertical?
laugh.gif

If thats true he certainly doesn't take advantage of it, from watching him play I can't say I really buy this. He probably won't take part in thecombine so it wont matter anyways.

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the hate on the city of Memphis?
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Compared to Cleveland (where Lebron didn't have any problem going as the #1 pick) it's a pretty damn good city.

Players that want control of who they get drafted to: @*%# em.

[table][tr][td]NBA Draft Roundup, May 24[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]by: Jonathan Givony - President[/td] [/tr][tr][td]May 24, 2009[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Often youngest on court, Ricky Rubio boasts polish, experience

Scott Cacciola of the Memphis Commercial Appeal pens an excellent introductory piece about potential Grizzlies target Ricky Rubio, with quotes from the likes of Tony Barone Sr, Pau Gasol, Fran Fraschilla, Chris Collins, Lang Whitaker and yours truly.

"General manager Chris Wallace and coach Lionel Hollins spent Saturday in Spain to scout Rubio again, a trip clouded by an Internet report that indicated Rubio may not want to sign with Memphis. Jonathan Givony, president and director of scouting for DraftExpress.com, cited an anonymous source last week who said Dan Fegan, Rubio's agent, wants Rubio in Los Angeles, where the Clippers hold the first overall pick.

Whether this is mere posturing on Fegan's part is unclear. But if there are obvious obstacles -- including a reported $6 million buyout from Rubio's contract with DKV Joventut - many scouts and coaches familiar with Rubio think the Grizzlies would be wise to surmount them.

"He is by far the smartest player in the draft," Givony said. "His knowledge of the game, his overall feel -it's amazing. Wherever he goes, those fans are going to fall in love with him. He's such a fun player to watch, so unpredictable, so creative. To me, it's a no-brainer for a franchise like Memphis."

This weekend we were able to learn quite a bit more about the Rubio situation, after speaking with one of the best possible sources on this matter. Unfortunately this source would rather not be named, for obvious reasons. Regardless, this is information that almost anyone interested in the NBA draft would like to read, though, so we decided to run it.

From what we can gather, Rubio is most certainly going to want to have a large say in the team that drafts him, and if he's not satisfied with where he lands, he may just decide not to ever come over, which would obviously be a huge embarrassment for the team that picks him. He is in a great situation with his hometown team outside of Barcelona, and it wouldn't make sense to leave there for anything less than the perfect spot from his standpoint.

"The bottom line here is that Ricky has a large buyout-5.75 million Euros, both for this year and the year after. Depending on the team that selects him, he's going to make a decision on whether he comes over or not. If he's not satisfied, there is a very real possibility that he doesn't come. His buyout is going to cost him a lot of money, and if it doesn't make sense for him, he won't do it. He is going to have to pay for the privilege of playing in the NBA"

According to the source, Rubio's decision is going to come down to two things: winning and the role he'll play for the team that picks him. The size of the market of the team that drafts him is apparently irrelevant, since his appeal will be on a global scale, reaching far past his team's city limits.

With that in mind, it appears that the Memphis Grizzlies will have to make a very strong sales pitch to Rubio for him to move off his initial stance of not wanting to play for them. Rubio's concerns stem from a number of factors, ranging from the potential poor fit of playing alongside a very ball-dominant guard in O.J. Mayo, to the negative experiences conveyed to him by the likes of Juan Carlos Navarro and Pau Gasol.

Oklahoma is a more attractive situation, but there are concerns there about how he fits with Russell Westbrook and whether the two can play together. For now they are not being ruled out.

The question now is how Memphis will respond. Can Chris Wallace and company convince Rubio that his concerns are unfounded? The Grizzlies have not made it a secret that they consider O.J. Mayo to be their point guard of the future, and it may be in their best interest to "maximize the asset" in the words of our source, by trading the pick. This is not going to be a hostile situation, though, so don't expect any fireworks in the media. Behind the scenes, efforts will be made to steer him the direction of the teams that appear to be most attractive, mainly Sacramento, Dallas, Indiana, Portland and New York, although not all those teams may have the assets or the interest level needed to get a deal done with Memphis. At this stage, Rubio appears unlikely to pull out of the draft.

What's interesting is that Memphis' scouting mission to Spain this weekend may not have gone quite as well as planned, as Rubio's team was beaten handily by Real Madrid in game three of the playoffs, behind a very average showing by the Spanish prodigy. Rubio posted 6 points, 3 assists, 5 turnovers and 3 steals on 2/6 shooting in 26 minutes of action. Both Memphis GM Chris Wallace and head coach Lionel Hollins were in attendance.

[/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by JPZx

laugh.gif
smh.gif

Compared to Cleveland (where Lebron didn't have any problem going as the #1 pick) it's a pretty damn good city.

I don't understand either. Memphis is a great basketball city, but I think its moreso the owner of the team than anything. Memphis only wants a winner andthey will support which is why they were so high on the Tigers every season. The Tigers tried to produce a winner and Memphis fans are impatient when it comesto rebuilding. I'm okay with it as long as I see an improvement in the roster over the years.

Rubio dunks the ball when he wants to, I've seen him dunking two handed with ease. Of course the kid isn't going to be throwing downwindmills
laugh.gif
. I really want to see him in the workouts though, I hope hecan participate especially since his ACB team is out the playoffs now.

^ At his height, dunking with two hands, does not equal a 39 inch vert, no matter how you look at it.

By European standards athletically he is average, so when he comes to the league, he is below that for sure. I dont think he is a good workout player, so Iwould be also interested how he performs.

Rubio has been a pro since he was 14 or 15, and often dominating grown man without being physically developed, so I think he will do just fine in the league.He will adjust, and probably gain some strenght too as he matures.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

laugh.gif
smh.gif

I don't understand either. Memphis is a great basketball city, but I think its moreso the owner of the team than anything. Memphis only wants a winner and they will support which is why they were so high on the Tigers every season. The Tigers tried to produce a winner and Memphis fans are impatient when it comes to rebuilding. I'm okay with it as long as I see an improvement in the roster over the years.

Rubio dunks the ball when he wants to, I've seen him dunking two handed with ease. Of course the kid isn't going to be throwing down windmills
laugh.gif
. I really want to see him in the workouts though, I hope he can participate especially since his ACB team is out the playoffs now.
I just feel like it could get to the point where draft prospects will be publicly announcing a list of who they want to get drafted by (and if ateam that's not on the list takes the step and drafts him, they won't cooperate). Organizations like Memphis, Minnesota, Oklahoma City, Milwaukee, etc.need to take a stand and draft the player despite what they're saying they want.

If it's in the best interest of the team, take him and deal with it later.

Then, future prospects will know that announcing that they don't want to play in a certain city/state will get them nowhere.

/rant

FWIW....Jordan Farmar tested as one of the best athletes at the hoops combine before the draft a few years back (around a 40 inch vert). I'm just saying,don't underestimate some of these #'s on Rubio....

i dont know why all of these memphis fans are getting hyped about possibly having Rubio & Mayo...

everybody knows that Juice is going to leave Memphis for LA as soon as his rookie deal is up...

so he can be tutored by Kobe & groomed to become a superstar...

Juice+Bynum=championship

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

laugh.gif
smh.gif

I don't understand either. Memphis is a great basketball city, but I think its moreso the owner of the team than anything. Memphis only wants a winner and they will support which is why they were so high on the Tigers every season. The Tigers tried to produce a winner and Memphis fans are impatient when it comes to rebuilding. I'm okay with it as long as I see an improvement in the roster over the years.

Rubio dunks the ball when he wants to, I've seen him dunking two handed with ease. Of course the kid isn't going to be throwing down windmills
laugh.gif
. I really want to see him in the workouts though, I hope he can participate especially since his ACB team is out the playoffs now.
I just feel like it could get to the point where draft prospects will be publicly announcing a list of who they want to get drafted by (and if a team that's not on the list takes the step and drafts him, they won't cooperate). Organizations like Memphis, Minnesota, Oklahoma City, Milwaukee, etc. need to take a stand and draft the player despite what they're saying they want.

If it's in the best interest of the team, take him and deal with it later.

Then, future prospects will know that announcing that they don't want to play in a certain city/state will get them nowhere.

/rant
That's why I'm glad Milwaukee took Yi in the 2007 draft, even though they traded him later. They didn't back down from his antics.

FWIW....Jordan Farmar tested as one of the best athletes at the hoops combine before the draft a few years back (around a 40 inch vert). I'm just saying, don't underestimate some of these #'s on Rubio....
Exactly. Farmar doesn't really show off his vertical all the time, but he definitely can use it. Same with Mike Conley, he also has a 40 inchvertical.

i dont know why all of these memphis fans are getting hyped about possibly having Rubio & Mayo
grin.gif

Juice+Bynum=championship
roll.gif

Juice doesn't need to be tutored by anybody. He has great work ethic already and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind making his own legacy rather thanfalling behind Kobe.
pimp.gif

I'm guessing thats Rubio's maximum vertical (running start).

I might be the only one, but I think Rubio will be similar to modern-day J-Kidd. Not a great shooter, doesn't elevate on his shot, good passer, crafty andsmart player, not a great athlete.

Unlike YI, Rubio has options, he could very well just stay in Europe making good money, and playing in a good league (not NBA quality but still goodnonetheless). Personally, I think players determining where they should and should not go defeats the purpose of the draft. If Memphis selects Rubio and hedecides to pull a Fran Vasquez, then it looks really bad for Memphis.

For some reason I think Brandon Jennings is going to be the best player in this draft. Kid is a real good athlete and if he can gain any strength and not be arail out there, he is going to be tough to handle. Not buying the hype on Rubio either. Think he will be a decent PG but nothing like the world beater peoplewant us to believe.

If my Bulls can grab DaJuan Blair and a solid 2 guard, I would be so pumped. I would love to get Ellington because his jumper would fit so nicely next to Pooh.

Originally Posted by antoekneeo

Unlike YI, Rubio has options, he could very well just stay in Europe making good money, and playing in a good league (not NBA quality but still good nonetheless). Personally, I think players determining where they should and should not go defeats the purpose of the draft. If Memphis selects Rubio and he decides to pull a Fran Vasquez, then it looks really bad for Memphis.
QFT.
as the article stated, (like all the other 100 billion ones posted) the team/or him has to pay for his buyout contract if he wants to play here.
what in the world makes you think he'll pay to play for a team he doesn't want to play for.

Sure Memphis is young and talented, but i don't think playing alongside Mayo is going to be good for either for their development.

Originally Posted by BangDak

Originally Posted by antoekneeo

Unlike YI, Rubio has options, he could very well just stay in Europe making good money, and playing in a good league (not NBA quality but still good nonetheless). Personally, I think players determining where they should and should not go defeats the purpose of the draft. If Memphis selects Rubio and he decides to pull a Fran Vasquez, then it looks really bad for Memphis.
QFT.
as the article stated, (like all the other 100 billion ones posted) the team/or him has to pay for his buyout contract if he wants to play here.
what in the world makes you think he'll pay to play for a team he doesn't want to play for.

I'm just waiting to hear from Rubio. There have been articles saying that his agent doesn't want him in Memphis, but then Chris Wallace and Heisleyhave talked to his agent and said that he doesn't have a problem with Rubio in Memphis as long as they aren't committed to Mike Conley. So, I'mjust waiting to hear the words from Rubio or at least confirmed words from his agent that he doesn't want to be in Memphis. Most of the articles that havebeen posted have been speculation moreso than anything since the people who wrote them couldn't name the "confirmed" source they got it from. IfRubio doesn't want to play in Memphis, I would expect Memphis to just trade up with LAC and get Griffin.

"The Clippers are entertaining offers for the first overall pick, according to a number of NBA sources.Los Angeles made initial comments that they would use the top pick on Blake Griffin, but one source claims that it was all a show."From what I understand, they didn't want to sound uncertain on draft night, since that's a typical Clippers reaction," one source told DraftExpress.com."This is a very important time for them in terms of season ticket renewals, which is why they had that kneejerk reaction."
laugh.gif
Please let this be true.

Back
Top Bottom