Delete/Lock...Draft talk over in JPZ's thread....

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

How about we go look at video of both and stop looking at numbers posted at the combine?
So even if Blair walks in a puts up the bench 20 times and pops a 38 inch vertical you will still stick to this?
laugh.gif

I think the athletic difference between Millsap and Blair is minimal.

After watching Blair take full and sole custody of his son, Hasheem Thabeet Blair Jr, I'm convinced Blair will do fine in the L, he just needs to improvethat jump shot if he wants to be a starter.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

^ Sig check.
pimp.gif

In that video, it didn't look like Millsap just elevated like a beast.
Well, think about that and realize that Blair is a notch below in the athleticism ladder.

[h1]Chinese Buzzing About Yao/LeBron Pairing[/h1]

May 26, 2009 11:29 AM EST

Yao_Ming_hou.jpg
After reports a Hong Kong-based companyis set to take a minority share in the the Cleveland Cavaliers, people in China predict that Yao Ming will join LeBron James.

"It's very clear that the Cavaliers' next step is to buy Yao Ming," one netizen said on Sina.com. "And then to win the leaguechampionship, and then to build a Cavaliers' dynasty!"

"It's a big market, they love the game of basketball," James told Cleveland's Plain Dealer newspaper.

"I've been over there the last four or five summers, and I know how much they are inspired about the game of basketball. So it could be good. Itshould be fun."

nerd.gif
That would be a killer, that big two would be better than a bigthree"

Originally Posted by J Steezzz

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

Knicks need to trade their first, second, and $3mill to Memphis to get Rubio. Best bet.
indifferent.gif

Refer to sig
pimp.gif
Curry is such an one-dimensional player, why would you want him? Rubio is the PG we NEED. I don't even see Curry being able to put on moreweight.. he's going to be a less athletic Jamal Crawford in my eyes. But from rumors, it seems the Knicks guaranteed that Curry is gonna be orange &blue if he's on the board and we have the 8th pick
ohwell.gif
grin.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by viiheaven

Originally Posted by J Steezzz

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

Knicks need to trade their first, second, and $3mill to Memphis to get Rubio. Best bet.
indifferent.gif

Refer to sig
pimp.gif
Curry is such an one-dimensional player, why would you want him? Rubio is the PG we NEED. I don't even see Curry being able to put on more weight.. he's going to be a less athletic Jamal Crawford in my eyes. But from rumors, it seems the Knicks guaranteed that Curry is gonna be orange & blue if he's on the board and we have the 8th pick
ohwell.gif
grin.gif
tired.gif

And Memphis isn't going to take the 8th pick, 2nd rounder and cash for the no.2 pick. We would have to work out some deal involving some quality players.

If the Grizzlies and Knicks want a deal involving #2 and #8, they could make their picks, wait till July and do a sign and trade involving David Lee. That waythe Grizzlies could get their power forward and another asset (Earl Clark?) and the Knicks could get their point guard.

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

Originally Posted by ericberry14

Originally Posted by Frankie Valentino

Sure Memphis is young and talented, but i don't think playing alongside Mayo is going to be good for either for their development.
they wont be together for very long...

Juice is going to leave Memphis & bolt to LA soon as that rookie deal is up...
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
...except that Memphis will have a chance to match any offer once he becomes a RFA.

Yep. So, Mayo probably won't be available til' sometime around 2016 or 2017 when Memphis will probably end up having a championship or two.
laugh.gif

why would Juice stay in Memphis for 6 years... that's just foolish... he went to LA for college to become a star, now the next step is to play in LA tobecome a superstar...

Juice + Bynum=championship

Originally Posted by Frankie Valentino

Sure Memphis is young and talented, but i don't think playing alongside Mayo is going to be good for either for their development.
they wont be together for very long...

Juice is going to leave Memphis & bolt to LA soon as that rookie deal is up...
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
...except that Memphis will have a chance to match any offer once he becomes a RFA.

Yep. So, Mayo probably won't be available til' sometime around 2016 or 2017 when Memphis will probably end up having a championship or two.
laugh.gif

why would Juice stay in Memphis for 6 years... that's just foolish... he went to LA for college to become a star, now the next step is to play in LA to become a superstar...

Juice + Bynum=championship
Because it's not his decision. He becomes a restricted free agent after his rookie deal is up, which means that Mayo can sign an offer sheetwith another team, but Memphis will have the option to match the contract. If they match, he stays with the Grizzlies. It's not Mayo's decision.

Juice can always do a short-term extension ala LeBron, Wade and Bosh.

Personally as much as I would like him on the Lakers, I'd rather see him stay in Memphis.

Or he can do what Ben Gordon did and just sign a one year deal and become an UFA the next summer.
How often does that happen?

Ben Gordon only did it because they wouldn't pay him, if the Grizz cough up the cash for the extension most players take it.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

If the Grizzlies and Knicks want a deal involving #2 and #8, they could make their picks, wait till July and do a sign and trade involving David Lee. That way the Grizzlies could get their power forward and another asset (Earl Clark?) and the Knicks could get their point guard.
Yep, that's what I was shooting for.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Or he can do what Ben Gordon did and just sign a one year deal and become an UFA the next summer.

Ben Gordon only did it because they wouldn't pay him, if the Grizz cough up the cash for the extension most players take it.
That's what I was thinking. OJ is already considered this team franchise level player after his rookie season. I'm pretty sure Memphiswill give him the money he wants to make sure we keep him around at least til' he's about 26 or 27. Even then, Memphis would probably be in theposition to be one of the elite teams in the league and he would just stay in Memphis. OJ is closer to home being in Memphis anyways rather than being in LA.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

I'm just saying it's an option if he doesn't want to stay in Memphis long term. I'm not saying Memphis wouldn't cough up thecash for him.

What happened to Joe Alexander this past season? A lot of buzz was surrounding him around draft day and he got picked 8th...

I literally have not heard anything about him since then..

[h2]Rubio weekend wrap-up[/h2]Posted by Ronald Tillery

It's no secret by now that Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace and head coach Lionel Hollins spent the past weekend in Spain where they visited potential No. 2 overall draft pick Ricky Rubio.

The Grizzlies' brass watched Rubio turn in a disappointing performance in the third and deciding game of an ACB playoff series. The 18-year-old point guard finished with six points, three assists, five turnovers and three steals in 26 minutes as his team was handed a lopsided loss. Rubio took a couple of hits and was injured in the second half of that game. His team played against a superior, bigger-budgeted squad last Saturday.

On Monday night, Wallace, Hollins and Griz center Marc Gasol met Rubio and his father in Barcelona. The group was together for about 90 minutes, and it says a lot that fellow Spaniard, Marc Gasol, took time out to help represent the Grizzlies.

Wallace said the meeting "went well." He also described Rubio as "very bright, personable and grounded despite all the publicity he has received."

In a word, Rubio was described as "impressive" given his maturity.

Wallace and Hollins left Spain Tuesday for Chicago where they will spend part of the week evaluating players at the NBA's annual pre-draft camp.
http://thememphisedge.com/2009/05/27/rubio-weekend-wrap-up/

Honest question....what seperates DeJuan Blair from Michael Sweetney and Robert Traylor? I just see a lot of red flags w. this pick....maybe at best, he can be like Big Baby....i dunno...
Well to play devils advocate he rebounds at a far far higher rate than Traylor, Sweteny, Big Baby ever did and his back to the basketgame is also more dvanced than any of those guys.
roll.gif

You did NOT watch Michael Sweetney in college. He was a far better player Blair is, just on a crappy team. Their offensive games are not even comparable.

The thing that does separate Blair from Traylor, Sweetney is a motor. He never stops.

But I see him as a role player off the bench.

Who's ever seen him play above the rim? At all?
nerd.gif
THAT is what guyslike Maxiell and Milsap can do that blair can't

Originally Posted by JPZx

What happened to Joe Alexander this past season? A lot of buzz was surrounding him around draft day and he got picked 8th...

I literally have not heard anything about him since then..
he SUCKED then and he sucks now.

Some good stuff from DX....also, click the link at the bottom of the page for vids of these guys going thru some of their workouts.....Paul Harris...that'san interesting prospect. With this years draft being SO weak, is there a chance he sneaks into the end of round 1? That being said, what separates a guy likeHarris aprat from a dude like PJ Tucker?

Tim Grover and Mike Procopio are working hard in Chicago helping a dozen prospects or so prepare for their NBA draft private workouts, including Jordan Hill, Jonny Flynn and Chase Budinger. We were able to spend the weekend with them and get a firsthand look at what they are working on with the players in their gym. Here is what we learned.

Jordan Hill analysis

Hill appears to be working very hard, and the staff is pleased with the progress he's making.

Comparing him with other prospects we've evaluated in these types of settings over the years, it's pretty obvious that Hill started playing basketball later than most, as he's not a very polished player at this point in time. That's part of what makes him so intriguing, though-he's a late-bloomer who still has a ton of room to improve, but was still able to be productive at Arizona this season, to the tune of 18 points and 11 rebounds per game.

The biggest revelation to come out of these workouts was the way Hill was shooting the ball. His stroke looked fairly consistent from 17-18 feet out, and he was even able to knock down a couple of college and NBA range 3's. He needs to improve the quickness of his release and continue to work on his consistency, but having a solid mid-range jumper in his arsenal will surely help him make the transition to playing quality minutes in the NBA.

Another area of intrigue lies in the basic skills Hill shows facing the basket from the mid-post. Mike Procopio has been working extensively with Hill on his footwork and ability to attack his man off the dribble from 12 to 15 feet-as you can see in the workout video. Considering the quickness advantage he will likely enjoy over most of his matchups, this could develop into a very useful weapon for Hill down the road. He was finishing in a variety of ways, often with a powerful dunk, but also with a series of runners and floaters, trying to improve his touch, particularly with his left hand, which needs work.

While Hill's frame looks solid, it's pretty clear that he'll have to hit the weight room if he's to be able to effectively compete with some of the more physically developed big men he'll face in the NBA. He lacks strength in his lower body in particular, and this, coupled with his below average post-moves makes him fairly limited at this point with his back to the basket. This is probably not going to be a major part of his game in the NBA, but considering the direction the league is heading-where quickness, toughness and aggressiveness are far more important than brute force-players like Hill are becoming very much en vogue. It would likely benefit Hill tremendously to play in an up-tempo offense where he can utilize his athleticism in transition, alongside a point guard who is capable of creating scoring opportunities for him.

Jonny Flynn

Point guards like Jonny Flynn earn their paychecks on the court winning games in five on five settings, not in private workouts. Fortunately for Flynn, that was exactly what he was able to do in the month of March, leading his team to the Sweet 16. Regardless of the limitations of this evaluation, there were a couple of specific things we could learn or be reminded about here in Chicago.

As we saw at Syracuse, Flynn is one of the most explosive point guards in this draft, right in the same class as Brandon Jennings and Ty Lawson. His shiftiness in the open floor and pure speed getting up and down the court was very impressive, as were his ball-handling skills. While there wasn't anything to take away from this setting in terms of evaluating his playmaking skills or court vision, it was great to see what a natural leader Flynn is around his cohorts. He looked incredibly focused and professional at all times, and really appears to have the ideal personality you look for at his position, as he's extremely engaging and charismatic.

From a skills standpoint, Flynn shot the ball just OK in the two days we saw him. His mechanics are fine and there doesn't appear to be anything 'broke' about his shot, but he didn't seem to be all that consistent with the jumpers we saw him put up. As you'll see in the interview, he seems to recognize the importance of improving this part of his game, and as long as he puts the work in, he will probably be fine.

The one thing that immediately stands out about Flynn when you first meet him is his size. It will be interesting to see how tall he measures out at the combine and whether that has any influence on his draft stock. He did seem to get getting after it quite a bit in the three on three portion of the workout, which will definitely help his cause on the defensive end.

Flynn has his fans in the lottery right now, and would appear to be in excellent shape one month before the draft.

Paul Harris

Out of all the players here, Paul Harris may have left the best impression on us relative to our expectations going in. Harris is incredibly impressive from a physical standpoint first and foremost, boasting a chiseled frame, strong athleticism and extremely long arms, but he also looked pretty good from a skills standpoint as well.

Harris has been working quite a bit on his shooting mechanics over the past few weeks with shooting coach Tim Sullivan, and the results were fairly impressive from what we were able to see. He made shots at a pretty good rate (much better than we thought he would at least), both spotting up and off the dribble. While his ball-handling skills looked improvable, it's pretty safe to say that no one is going to sign him for what he does on the offensive end of the floor.

Defensively is where Harris really shined, showing absolute lock-down ability on anyone he was asked to guard, and really making his presence felt with his combination of toughness and tenacity. The theme of this year's NBA playoffs for us probably is just how incredibly physical the games are, and if there was any player that embodied that spirit in this gym, it was Harris. Mike Procopio compares him to the likes of Tony Allen and DeShawn Stevenson, and after seeing him in action in this setting, it wasn't hard to see why.

It will be interesting to see what the reaction is to Harris once he starts making the rounds for private workouts. It's not tough to see some NBA coach falling in love with what he could bring to practice day in and day out, and the success of players like Dahntay Jones this season could help Harris out.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#ATTACK-Athletics-Workout-3228

Back
Top Bottom