Delete/Lock...Draft talk over in JPZ's thread....

Flynn's game standing tall

CHICAGO -- Aaron Brooks, meet your biggest fan. He is Jonny Flynn, a diminutive point guard from Syracuse who thinks Brooks may have opened the door for thereturn of little guys to the NBA.
"I was watching Brooks shred through defenses in the playoffs and I was cheering 'Do it for the littleguys!'" Flynn says with a huge grin. "He's proving what I've been trying to say for years. The size of your heart is what matters. Whenyou have a big heart, you can play with the best of them."

Flynn is hoping that NBA executives agree come June 25. Flynn said in March that he was absolutely returning to Syracuse for his junior year. He was adamantthat he wanted to win an NCAA championship. But by mid-April, he had changed his mind and not only declared for the draft, but hired an agent, ending hiscollege eligibility.

Flynn said he heard that he would be a first-round pick and decided that "If I'm going to do this, I have to do it all the way. I don't know howto do something half-baked."

Flynn has a lot of buzz among GMs right now for his stellar play for Syracuse down the stretch. He has the speed, quickness, toughness and leadership abilitiesGMs covet in a point guard.

But he's going to raise a lot of eyebrows when it comes to measurements. Syracuse has listed him, generously, at 6 feet for the past two seasons. Standingnext to him, it's easy to see that Flynn will be lucky if he can crack 5-foot-11 in shoes. A measurement of 5-foot-10 is a better bet.

Flynn blames his lack of size on an eighth-grade basketball accident. It was his last game playing junior varsity. He was driving to the basket. A defenderpushed him in the back. He broke his ankle.

In the hospital Flynn got some of the most disappointing news of his life from a doctor. "He told me that the bone I broke was on a growth plate. He saidthere's a good chance I was done growing."

Flynn was frustrated because everyone else in his family is 6-foot-3 or 6-foot-4. Flynn lifts up his size-14 feet to prove that he should have been taller."How many little guys have feet this big?"

If Flynn sounds overly concerned about his height, it's hard to blame him. The NBA has historically shunned the little guy. There's an unwritten 6-footceiling in the league that very few players crack. He doesn't want his lack of size to overshadow all of the other great parts of his game when the draftevaluators stack him up to the rest of the point guards in the class.

Ricky Rubio and Eric Maynor are 6-foot-3. Jrue Holiday is 6-foot-4. Tyreke Evans and Nick Calathes are 6-foot-5. Flynn will have some company on the shorterend of the spectrum with Ty Lawson and Patrick Mills. But he knows that size matters in the league.

That is, it has mattered in the past. Lately, little guys have been all the rage. Brooks' lack of size didn't seem to hurt him in the playoffs. NateRobinson is 5-foot-8 and is coming off a terrific season in New York. And don't forget that the best point guard in the league, Chris Paul, needs high topson his feet to (barely) crack the 6-foot barrier.

Once you get over looking down at Flynn, there isn't a lot to pick apart. He may be short, but his body isn't frail. He has thick legs and a thickchest. He's an explosive athlete who, on Thursday, stood underneath the basket and jumped up and dunked the ball flat-footed. He has terrific lateralquickness and can change speeds on a dime. He has a good handle and floor vision. Most importantly, he's a leader.

Flynn has a natural charisma that you can't teach. Whether it was leading Syracuse into the tournament or rallying players inside Tim Grover's ATTACKAthletics gym, Flynn has the personality to play a leading role on a team.

"Guys respect him," Grover's lead trainer, Mike Procopio, said. "He's got a lot of energy and has a positive outlook on life. Guysgravitate to that."

When Flynn gets into 3-on-3 and 4-on-4 drills, he's the most vocal player on the floor, calling out plays and screens. No matter what's going on in thegym, your eyes eventually end up gravitating back to Flynn.

Flynn's also spending a lot of time working on the other area of weakness in his game -- his jump shot. While Flynn isn't a bad shooter by any means,he lacked consistency at Syracuse and when he cooled off, things could get a little ugly.

I watched him in the gym for two days and thought everything about his jump shot looked smoother, less forced. He's been working with a shot doctor andseems to have found his range. He was hitting everything from midrange jumpers off screens to dribble-drive pull-ups to college and even NBA 3-pointers. Likevirtually every prospect I've seen, Flynn still isn't an ace from the NBA 3. But he looked OK shooting it from there.

There's no question that his game is going to look impressive on the court, even if his measurements don't.

Over the past few weeks, a number of GMs seem to have been warming to Flynn and he looks like a potential lottery pick at the moment. A number of teams in thelottery including the Kings (No. 4), the Wizards (No. 5), the Timberwolves (No. 6), the Warriors (No. 7), the Knicks (No.
glasses.gif
, the Bucks (No. 10), the Pacers(No. 13) and the Suns (No. 14) all need point guards. And after speaking with at least one source from every team, I learned Flynn is in the mix for all ofthem.

While Flynn will be happy to play anywhere, he isn't shy about showing his love for his childhood team, the Knicks, and their run-and-gun head coach, MikeD'Antoni.

"That's my dream," Flynn said. "To help my hometown team. I know how Steve Nash has flourished [under D'Antoni]. So have little guyslike Nate Robinson and Leandro Barbosa. I think I could help them, too. You have to have heart to succeed in New York. I've got a big one."

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Analysis: This would be very high for Holiday, but this year, there just isn't a big difference between the fourth pick and the 10th pickin terms of quality. The Kings need a point guard, and if they can't get their hands on Rubio, Holiday's combination of size and defensive abilityshould get him the nod in Sacramento.

his D wasn't all that good at UCLA
grin.gif

I just don't get the hype
ohwell.gif

Here's what Chad Ford had to say about Blair's measurements:

Chris (Madison, WI): What do you think about Blair?

Chad Ford: He's a beast. He's gotten in better shape. Has measured 6-7 1/4 in shoes with a 7-foot-2 wing span at a couple of NBA workouts. Has a decent33 inch one step vertical. And we know what an amazing rebounder he is. I think he'll be better than people think and could go as high as Toronto at 9,Milwaukee at 10, the Nets at 11, Pacers at 13. No way he passes the Bulls at 16.

Originally Posted by PhilBalla09

Analysis: This would be very high for Holiday, but this year, there just isn't a big difference between the fourth pick and the 10th pick in terms of quality. The Kings need a point guard, and if they can't get their hands on Rubio, Holiday's combination of size and defensive ability should get him the nod in Sacramento.

grin.gif

ohwell.gif
me neither
grin.gif
... dont think hell be that good of a pro

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Chad Ford: He's a beast. He's gotten in better shape. Has measured 6-7 1/4 in shoes with a 7-foot-2 wing span at a couple of NBA workouts. Has a decent 33 inch one step vertical. And we know what an amazing rebounder he is. I think he'll be better than people think and could go as high as Toronto at 9, Milwaukee at 10, the Nets at 11, Pacers at 13. No way he passes the Bulls at 16.
laugh.gif
How does this make any sense? I mean honestly.

Analysis: This would be very high for Holiday, but this year, there just isn't a big difference between the fourth pick and the 10th pick in terms of quality. The Kings need a point guard, and if they can't get their hands on Rubio, Holiday's combination of size and defensive ability should get him the nod in Sacramento.

grin.gif

ohwell.gif

its easy to see the hype, he has all the talent just played in a horrible system to show it

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

grin.gif

ohwell.gif

its easy to see the hype, he has all the talent just played in a horrible system to show it
I dunno Mike, even though Russell never put up numbers I could tell he had a high ceiling. His defense especially.

With Holiday I just see a slow, not that explosive pg/sg tweener who doesn't scare me at all with his offensive skill set.

What do you think will be his calling card on the next level? Defense? Calm leadership? Shooter? Penetration/slasher?

Chad Ford needs to be fired from ESPN. Anything he writes especially in terms of drafting and trading just doesn't make sense. What sources does he keeptalking about in Memphis leading to them drafting Thabeet? All the sources I've seen out of Memphis show that they're high on drafting Rubio or tradingup.

^just because you don't know the sources doesn't mean they're not there. that's not to say he may not be wrong, but as a columnist/writer forespn, you sorta hope that at least they're sources are on point.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Chad Ford: He's a beast. He's gotten in better shape. Has measured 6-7 1/4 in shoes with a 7-foot-2 wing span at a couple of NBA workouts. Has a decent 33 inch one step vertical. And we know what an amazing rebounder he is. I think he'll be better than people think and could go as high as Toronto at 9, Milwaukee at 10, the Nets at 11, Pacers at 13. No way he passes the Bulls at 16.
laugh.gif
Here's how: he'd be the toughest Raptor in a heartbeat and toughness can rub off onto the others. Dude is just a beast. The Raps need abetter SG and more toughness overall. The Raps need immediate help and Delfino (who they still have the rights to) could be brought in for that SG upgrade(probably more immediate help than any rookie like Evans / Derozan).
Anyways, I'd like to see them take Evans, Derozan, or Blair (and yes, it'd totally make sense to me). Work them all out and see who'll bring it.

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

laugh.gif
Here's how: he'd be the toughest Raptor in a heartbeat and toughness can rub off onto the others. Dude is just a beast. The Raps need a better SG and more toughness overall. The Raps need immediate help and Delfino (who they still have the rights to) could be brought in for that SG upgrade (probably more immediate help than any rookie like Evans / Derozan).
Anyways, I'd like to see them take Evans, Derozan, or Blair (and yes, it'd totally make sense to me). Work them all out and see who'll bring it.
You don't spend lottery picks on bench players, this is Rafeal Arujo all over again. Are need at SG/SF is far more pressing than PF which wehave Chris Bosh, Kris Humpries and Pops Mensa Bonsu already.

[table][tr][th=""]PICK[/th] [th=""]TEAM[/th] [th=""]PLAYER[/th] [th=""]VITALS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
6.gif
[/td] [td]
min.gif

Minnesota
[/td] [td]
19221.jpg

James Harden
[/td] [td]Position: SG
Height: 6-4
Weight: 215
School: Arizona State[/td] [/tr][/table]
Analysis: The Wolves really need help at center and point guard, but at this point in the draft, Harden would be the best player on theboard. If Randy Foye can play the point, he and Harden would make a pretty formidablebackcourt.

[table][tr][th=""]PICK[/th] [th=""]TEAM[/th] [th=""]PLAYER[/th] [th=""]VITALS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
7.gif
[/td] [td]
gsw.gif

Golden State
[/td] [td]
19261.jpg

Brandon Jennings
[/td] [td]Position: PG
Height: 6-2
Weight: 165

Analysis: The Warriors need a more traditional point guard, and with Jennings they get to swing for the fences a bit. He wasn't greatin Italy this year, but he has all the tools to be a terrific backcourt mate for MontaEllis for years to come. Holiday and Jonny Flynn are also possibilities here.

8.gif
[/td] [td]
nyk.gif

New York
[/td] [td]
19087.jpg

Stephen Curry
Height: 6-3
Weight: 185
School: Davidson[/td] [/tr][/table]

Analysis: Love Curry or hate him, he would be a good fit in Mike D'Antoni's run-and-gun offense. Curry has the two elementsessential for a D'Antoni guard: a terrific jump shot and a high basketball IQ.

DeMar DeRozan, Tyreke Evans and Jonny Flynnwill also get long looks from New York.

9.gif
[/td] [td]
tor.gif

Toronto
[/td] [td]
19259.jpg

Tyreke Evans
Height: 6-6
Weight: 220
School: Memphis[/td] [/tr][/table]
Analysis: Evans' ability to penetrate and finish at the basket should make him an excellent complement to the Raptors'perimeter-oriented bigs. With Anthony Parker heading to free agency this summer,it's time for an upgrade in the backcourt. DeJuanBlair and Jrue Holiday would be other good optionshere.

10.gif
[/td] [td]
mil.gif

Milwaukee
[/td] [td]
19160.jpg

Jonny Flynn
Height: 6-0
Weight: 175
School: Syracuse[/td] [/tr][/table]

Analysis: The Bucks face losing free agents Charlie Villanuevaand Ramon Sessions because of financial constraints, potentially giving them needs atpoint guard and power forward. Flynn has the leadership skills the Bucks desperately need. Or they could take Blair, who could provide some real toughness onthe front line.

11.gif
[/td] [td]
njn.gif

New Jersey
[/td] [td]
19230.jpg

DeJuan Blair
[/td] [td]Position: PF
Height: 6-7
Weight: 250
School: Pittsburgh[/td] [/tr][/table]
Analysis: Rod Thorn has said he needs a moose, and he should be able to find one here. The Nets have needs at both forward positions andcould face a tough decision between Blair and JamesJohnson. From what I can gather, Johnson's versatility has him slightly ahead on the Nets' big board, though in a head-to-head workout, Blair couldcome out on top.

12.gif
[/td] [td]
cha.gif

Charlotte
[/td] [td]
19262.jpg

DeMar DeRozan
Weight: 200
School: USC[/td] [/tr][/table]

Analysis: Since shipping Jason Richardson to Phoenix last year,the Bobcats have had some needs at shooting guard. Raja Bell can't hold down thefort forever.

DeRozan is raw, but he has the potential to be one of the best players in the draft. Larry Brown might prefer the more NBA-ready Gerald Henderson, but the Bobcats can't pass on so muchtalent this late in a weak draft.

13.gif
[/td] [td]
ind.gif

Indiana
[/td] [td]
19334.jpg

Jeff Teague
Weight: 180
School: Wake Forest[/td] [/tr][/table]
Analysis: The Pacers' biggest need is an athletic big man with shot-blocking ability, but they aren't likely to find whatthey're looking for. So with Jarrett Jack heading into free agency, they couldend up focusing on the point guard position.
If Flynn is still on the board, I think they'll take him. If he's not, I think they'll have a tough choice between Jeff Teague, Eric Maynor and Ty Lawson. Lawson and Maynor are ready to play now, but Teaguehas the most upside and can play off the ball, too.

14.gif
[/td] [td]
pho.gif

Phoenix
[/td] [td]
19050.jpg

Earl Clark
[/td] [td]Position: SF
Height: 6-9
Weight: 200
School: Louisville[/td] [/tr][/table]

Analysis: Clark could be the second coming of Shawn Marion ifhe's willing to play hard every night. The versatile forward can play both the 3 and the 4, and he's amazing in transition, an excellent rebounder, anemerging shooter and capable of playing outstanding defense, even if he's not always inclined to do so.

15.gif
[/td] [td]
det.gif

Detroit
[/td] [td]
19309.jpg

James Johnson
Weight: 245
School: Wake Forest[/td] [/tr][/table]
Analysis: The Pistons will begin their summer makeover in the draft. They'd love to add a dominant low-post scorer, particularly acenter, but they aren't likely to find anyone who fits the bill. So it looks like they'll have a tough decision between three upside guys.
Williams looks like the best player left on the board, but after four years of up-and-down play at Louisville, he's left people wondering whether he canput it together on a consistent basis.

Austin Daye has the most upside of anyone projectedto be available, and adding him would be a move for the future, as he has the potential to be great someday. He's got a pure game, but needs to getstronger and more assertive.

Johnson fits the biggest need, as someone who could play both the 3 and the 4. And he's tough, which the Pistons would like. Right now I give him theedge.

16.gif
[/td] [td]
chi.gif

Chicago
[/td] [td]
19028.jpg

Gerald Henderson
Height: 6-4
School: Duke[/td] [/tr][/table]
Analysis: Call it a Ben Gordon insurance policy. If Gordon leaves in free agency, Henderson can step in and help, especially on thedefensive end. Henderson had an inconsistent career at Duke, but when he's good, he can be really good.

17.gif
[/td] [td]
phi.gif

Philadelphia
[/td] [td]
19124.jpg

Eric Maynor
Height: 6-3
School: VCU[/td] [/tr][/table]

Analysis: With Andre Miller hitting free agency this summer, lookfor the Sixers to address the point guard position. Lou Williams is nice but notreally a lead guard. Maynor would give Philly the total package as one of the most NBA-ready players in the draft.

18.gif
[/td] [td]
min.gif

Minnesota
(via Miami)

[/td] [td]
19269.jpg

B.J. Mullens
[/td] [td]Position: C
Height: 7-1
Weight: 260
School: Ohio State[/td] [/tr][/table]

Analysis: The Wolves don't have a true center, and Mullens is likely to be the best one remaining on the board. At the beginning of theseason, he was ranked in our top five, but he slipped because although his talent remains, he's years away from being ready. However, a lottery team withlots of first-round picks such as Minnesota can roll the dice and pray the gamble pays off.

19.gif
[/td] [td]
atl.gif

Atlanta
[/td] [td]
19034.jpg

Ty Lawson
Height: 5-11
Weight: 195
School: North Carolina[/td] [/tr][/table]

Analysis: The Hawks have blown it repeatedly when they've needed a point guard in the draft. They passed on Chris Paul to draft Marvin Williams and passed on Rajon Rondo to draft Shelden Williams. Then two years ago, when they finally got around to picking a point guard,they took Acie Law ahead of Rodney Stuckey.

Although Teague isn't a pure point guard, he has one of the quickest first steps in the game and is a terrific scorer and an emerging shooter. At thispoint in the draft, he would be a bargain.

20.gif
[/td] [td]
uth.gif

Utah
[/td] [td]
18875.jpg

Tyler Hansbrough
Weight: 250
School: North Carolina[/td] [/tr][/table]

Analysis: It feels like destiny for Hansbrough to end up in Utah. His tough, blue-collar game should work really well for Jazz coach JerrySloan. And with the Jazz likely to lose either Carlos Boozer or Paul Millsap, or both, they'll probably have a need at the 4.

21.gif
[/td] [td]
nor.gif

New Orleans
[/td] [td]
19026.jpg

Chase Budinger
Height: 6-7
Weight: 205
School: Arizona[/td] [/tr][/table]
Analysis: Budinger would give the Hornets another player who can spread the floor. With Peja Stojakovic on the decline, Budinger's combination of athleticism and shooting shouldbe welcome.

22.gif
[/td] [td]
dal.gif

Dallas
[/td] [td]
19220.jpg

Terrence Williams
School: Louisville[/td] [/tr][/table]

Analysis: The Mavs have proved to be willing to take a chance on big-time athletes with a questionable background. It worked for them withJosh Howard and it might work again with Williams. He has lottery talent, and if hecan focus and improve that jump shot, he could be a long-term replacement for JerryStackhouse.

23.gif
[/td] [td]
sac.gif

Sacramento
(via Houston)

[/td] [td]
19214.jpg

Austin Daye
Height: 6-10
Weight: 190
School: Gonzaga[/td] [/tr][/table]
Analysis: It's really difficult to predict where Daye could go. He has lottery talent, but his body and toughness are years away. Ifhe slips this far, it will be tough for the Kings to pass on him -- he has so much talent and they can afford to develop him.

24.gif
[/td] [td]
por.gif

Portland
[/td] [td]
19153.jpg

Nick Calathes
Height: 6-5
School: Florida[/td] [/tr][/table]
Analysis: Blazers GM Kevin Pritchard's perpetual search for a point guard continues. Last year, the team acquired lottery pickJerryd Bayless, but it's pretty clear that Bayless is more of a Ben Gordon type than a Steve Nash type. The Blazers can afford to wait a year or two on Calathes. They are loadedwith prospects right now and will look to add a veteran point guard to the roster this year.

25.gif
[/td] [td]
okc.gif

Oklahoma City
(via San Antonio)

[/td] [td]
19171.jpg

Gani Lawal
School: Georgia Tech[/td] [/tr][/table]

Analysis: The Thunder would love to get a true center, but no one worth gambling on is expected to be available at this point in the draft.Lawal is raw, but he's an athlete and a proven rebounder who could provide energy off the bench.

26.gif
[/td] [td]
chi.gif

Chicago
(via Denver)

[/td] [td]
19172.jpg

DaJuan Summers
Height: 6-8
Weight: 225
School: Georgetown[/td] [/tr][/table]

Analysis: Summers is a NBA athlete and a good scorer whose game really slipped toward the end of the year. More and more NBA scouts areprojecting him as a 4 in the league. He's not a great rebounder, but he could give the Bulls some much-needed offense down low. On talent he could havegone much higher and is a value pick for the Bulls here.

27.gif
[/td] [td]
mem.gif

Memphis
(via Orlando)

[/td] [td]
19234.jpg

Sam Young
School: Pittsburgh[/td] [/tr][/table]

Analysis: Young has been terrific the past two years in Pittsburgh and should be able to immediately come in and contribute to theGrizzlies as both an athletic scorer and defender to back up O.J. Mayo and Rudy Gay.

28.gif
[/td] [td]
min.gif

Minnesota
(via Boston)

[/td] [td]
19079.jpg

Darren Collison
Height: 6-1
Weight: 165
School: UCLA[/td] [/tr][/table]

Analysis: If the Wolves pass on a point guard twice in the draft, don't expect them to do it again. Collison is a steal this late inthe draft. He's a veteran who can play both up-tempo or in the grind-it-out half-court game. His defense and shooting could eventually put him in theposition to dethrone Sebastian Telfair.

29.gif
[/td] [td]
lal.gif

L.A. Lakers
[/td] [td]
nba_i_douglas_65.jpg

Toney Douglas
Weight: 205
School: Florida State[/td] [/tr][/table]

Analysis: The Lakers have issues at point guard, and eventually they'll have to find a replacement for Derek Fisher. Douglas can play a similar role as a clutch shooter and a terrific on-the-balldefender.

30.gif
[/td] [td]
cle.gif

Cleveland
[/td] [td]
19321.jpg

Patrick Mills
Height: 5-11
School: St. Mary's (CA)[/td] [/tr][/table]

Analysis: The Cavs love Mo Williams at the point, but they canuse more help back there. Remember when the Spurs drafted Tony Parker with the lastpick of the first round?

Would Danny Ferry, a product of the Spurs' front-office mill, make the samegamble? Mills' quickness and floor vision make him worth the gamble here.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

Originally Posted by Long Beach Vincey

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

grin.gif

ohwell.gif

I dunno Mike, even though Russell never put up numbers I could tell he had a high ceiling. His defense especially.

With Holiday I just see a slow, not that explosive pg/sg tweener who doesn't scare me at all with his offensive skill set.

What do you think will be his calling card on the next level? Defense? Calm leadership? Shooter? Penetration/slasher?

For me with Holiday he would show flashs then it seems like Howland or Shipp and DC would just take him mental out the game by benching him or not giving himthe ball

he is a player that needs to play in a faster system. early in the NBA his calling card will proably be D if he stays at PG since he will be bigger then mostPG

UCLA fans give me an unbiased opinion on Jrue. I'm nervous about us potentially selecting him so high based off strictly potential.

Okla City has a hell of a bargaining chip with the #3... i wouldnt be surprised if they traded up/down/out.....
one thing for sure Sam Presti will make a good decision.
Sam Presti fans *raises hand*
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by cleansneaksonly21

Okla City has a hell of a bargaining chip with the #3... i wouldnt be surprised if they traded up/down/out.....
laugh.gif
Would make sense you're a fan of whoever is popular or doing well right now seeing as how you're a Lakers and Yankees fan.

Originally Posted by swizzc

Originally Posted by cleansneaksonly21

laugh.gif
Would make sense you're a fan of whoever is popular or doing well right now seeing as how you're a Lakers and Yankees fan.
This dude has been hyping Sam Presti since right after the move to OKC...and if I remember correctly, even before the move while the team wasstill in Seattle.

Originally Posted by tmay407

24.gif
[/td] [td]
por.gif

Portland
[/td] [td]
19153.jpg

Nick Calathes
Height: 6-5
School: Florida[/td] [/tr][/table]
Analysis: Blazers GM Kevin Pritchard's perpetual search for a point guard continues. Last year, the team acquired lottery pick Jerryd Bayless, but it's pretty clear that Bayless is more of a Ben Gordon type than a Steve Nash type. The Blazers can afford to wait a year or two on Calathes. They are loaded with prospects right now and will look to add a veteran point guard to the roster this year.
Umm........... we aren't drafting a point guard with our first pick. Bayless is nothing like Ben Gordon. Calathas is playing overseas nextyear. Chad Ford sucks

Back
Top Bottom