Delete.

Randolph bigger, vows to be better
By Marcus Thompson II
Contra Costa Times
Posted: 06/15/2009 06:37:02 PM PDT

OAKLAND - After the Warriors' season ended, rookie forward Anthony Randolph went home to Dallas to take some time off. He was determined to relax for awhile. That is, until he made a mistake.

He attended a playoff game, a first-round matchup between the Dallas Mavericks and San Antonio Spurs.

"It (ticked) me off," Randolph said. "The atmosphere, I want to play in that bad. I want to get there."

His break lasted a week and a half, and he hated it. Driven by a desire to experience the postseason as a player, Randolph began working out furiously andhasn't stopped since.

Remember some seven months ago, when Randolph was drawing the ire of coach Don Nelson for his poor attitude and work ethic? That dude is long gone. Randolph -who embodies much of the franchise's hopes - has bought in to the adage that great players are made in the offseason.

"The good ones, that's how they become really, really good," Warriors assistant coach Keith Smart said. "They put aside everything else thatis going on in their lives and focus on basketball and how they can develop. ... This is the time when you start to prepare to do even better than what you didlast year, and he's doing that."

Randolph started doing cardio work and practicing his shooting while in Dallas with a goal of improving his midrange jumper. He's been in Oakland for aboutthree weeks now, practically living at the Warriors facility. He works out three
Advertisement
times a day - morning, afternoon and evening - part of which he does solo.

In addition to his jumper, Randolph is working to get stronger, develop his footwork and improve his efficiency.

He often works out with his shirt off now, showing off his defined torso. The Warriors have focused on developing his core strength and not bulking him up.Still, Randolph, who has grown an inch and is just shy of 7 feet, has added some 20 pounds of muscle since the Warriors drafted him and is now up to about 215.He can curl 100-pound dumbbells several times, no problem.

Randolph said he already sees improvement in his jumper. Smart said Randolph also is making progress with his fundamentals and the cerebral elements of thegame. He's been working the last couple of weeks on getting to the basket in one dribble.

"I'm learning when and where to do things," Randolph said, "and how to put the ball on the floor as little as possible to get where I needto go."

Fellow rookie Anthony Morrow came to Oakland about a week after Randolph, and the two have been regulars at the Warriors practice facility since. Randolph saidthe presence of Morrow has been a boost, allowing him to practice some of the things he's worked on in heated one-on-one battles.

Even Morrow, known for being a maniacal worker, is impressed with Randolph's grind.

Thursday, as soon as the Warriors predraft workouts ended, Randolph took to the floor to do some basketball work. He concluded a nearly two-hour workout with afinishing drill over a dummy under the watchful eye of Smart.

After chatting a bit, he dipped into the locker room area to put on some street clothes. When he came back out, he informed Morrow about an open gym at SaintMary's College in a couple of hours. Both decided they were going to go play.

"If you're coming with me," Randolph said, "you gotta come now because I have to go work out real quick."

Morrow shook his head in amazement as Randolph hurried out the door. Randolph was in such a hurry to get to his next workout that Morrow had to ride to Moragawith Warriors forward Jermareo Davidson.

"He understands how to work now," Morrow said. "I think it was just the way he was approaching it (early last season). He was young, and a lotof young guys don't understand how to work hard. He picked it up quick. Once he learned how to work, he started getting more comfortable because he startedseeing his hard work paying off."

To be sure, this machine-like Randolph didn't just appear this offseason. Those close to Randolph said it's been in the making for some time. It seemsNelson's benching of Randolph earlier in the season did the trick.

"He changed his mind-set," Warriors strength coach John Murray said. "For the first time in his life, he wasn't playing. And he was sittingbecause he wasn't good enough. That's humbling. ...

"His biggest progress is mentally, his commitment to getting better, his work ethic. He doesn't get down on himself early. He sees the biggerpicture."

I also saw this quote from some interview he had "We want to be the dream team of summer league we want to destroy teams" AR isgonna beast this year.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

morrow+AR are nice pickups. love their work ethnics/effort.
someone who said alston, not a bad idea since hedo might opt out and they'll need a new wing.
alston is solid, but not a championship leading point guard. whatever, one step at a time huh?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by EL Flaco McFly

Colma...jobs a joke but its $$$
Are they hiring? I don't live too far from there.

I applied to Walgreens and Smart and Final; for SF I gotta go to SJ for an orientation.
tired.gif

pimp.gif
just got back from reno, lost some dough betting for the magic.
smh.gif
, but came back from the vacaville outlets with a lot of new clothes. hot topic has somedope hip hop tees, never knew that until this weekend.

Randolph
pimp.gif

where's Wright in all this? his younger teammate is out there working out and improving his game but what have we heard from him?
smh.gif

and thanks for the help guys. i didn't wanna just talk to a sales rep because they might just say anything to get me to buy the warranty.

Originally Posted by dont be a menace

Randolph
pimp.gif

where's Wright in all this? his younger teammate is out there working out and improving his game but what have we heard from him?
smh.gif

and thanks for the help guys. i didn't wanna just talk to a sales rep because they might just say anything to get me to buy the warranty.
I think Wright dislocated his shoulder again before the season ended.

Originally Posted by daprescription

Still, Randolph, who has grown an inch and is just shy of 7 feet, has added some 20 pounds of muscle since the Warriors drafted him and is now up to about 215.
He's still growing
eek.gif

HOLY CRAP
eek.gif
Men dont stop growing until their early 20's.Imagine AR at 7ft 220lbs
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
BEAST!!!!!

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

Still, Randolph, who has grown an inch and is just shy of 7 feet, has added some 20 pounds of muscle since the Warriors drafted him and is now up to about 215.
He's still growing
eek.gif
HOLY CRAP
eek.gif
Men dont stop growing until their early 20's. Imagine AR at 7ft 220lbs
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
BEAST!!!!!

I'm pretty sure Wright didn't grow after he was drafted.

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

He's still growing
eek.gif
HOLY CRAP
eek.gif
Men dont stop growing until their early 20's. Imagine AR at 7ft 220lbs
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
BEAST!!!!!
I'm pretty sure Wright didn't grow after he was drafted.

Randolph > Wright
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I dont see any good in this article....

Trouble Brewing in Golden State?

There is plenty of chatter in NBA circles about issues going on in Golden State that could clearly affect the way they approach their draft pick on June 25th.

The talk is that Monta Ellis is unhappy with the direction the organization is heading in, and still holds a bit of grief over the way they held his contract status in limbo for months following his moped injury. For weeks we've heard that Ellis is no longer interested in playing for Golden State, and apparently it had reached a point where it was "close to popping off" in the words of one NBA executive-meaning going to the media and publicly demanding a trade.

General Manager Larry Riley and head coach Don Nelson reportedly flew to Atlanta to meet with Ellis this week, and basically have made every attempt possible to defuse the situation, at the very least in order to not lose leverage in any trade talk they will inevitably be involved in. One NBA executive we spoke with believes that Ellis was promised that the Warriors will not be picking a point guard with the #7 pick, and that he will be the one running the show for them next year.

A number of agents seem to have heard similar things or just don't want to get anywhere near this situation, and both Jrue Holiday and Stephen Curry are currently refusing to work out for Golden State. The same goes for Ricky Rubio and Tyreke Evans.

Golden State is in a different situation that most teams picking in the top-10, as they are under an unusual amount of pressure to win immediately at all costs-or else. It's widely accepted at this point that incoming General Manager Larry Riley has one year at best to work enough magic in his team's front office and roster to convince ownership to keep him around. Head coach Don Nelson needs 24 wins to surpass Lenny Wilkens and become the winningest coach of all time.

The reality of these situations would seemingly rule out point guards Brandon Jennings and Jonny Flynn, both deemed too raw to be of immediate help to the Warriors next season. Stephen Curry could still be in the mix here, despite the fact that he won't work out here. It's not quite clear what that would do for the Monta Ellis situation. The two other players that seem to be the main candidates are Jordan Hill, and surprisingly enough, James Johnson. Golden State's front office appears to be leaning towards Hill for now, and may have even told him as much after he worked out for them last week, according to a report by Marcus Thompson II of the Bay Area News Group.

Hill had dinner with Coach Don Nelson on Thursday and said he walked away feeling that No. 7 might be the lowest he would go.

"He said if I'm not picked in the top six," Hill said, "they're probably going to take me."

Regardless, look for the Warriors to heavily pursue bringing back Baron Davis this summer, and don't be surprised to see them do something unexpected on draft night.

A number of agents seem to have heard similar things or just don't want to get anywhere near this situation, and both Jrue Holiday and Stephen Curry are currently refusing to work out for Golden State. The same goes for Ricky Rubio and Tyreke Evans.

Dudes know they don't want fat *(#$)( Nellie as the coach in their rookie yrs.
laugh.gif

we do not need jordan hill at all. with randolph developing the way he is and the ridiculous amount of SG/SF's we have, randolph is establishing himself asthe 4 of the future. he may even be the 4 of the present depending on how much his game has improved this off season. why in the world would we waste a pick onanother high-potential pf? we don't need another brandan wright, POB, ike diogu etc. we need a point guard. running jennings, monta, jack, randolph,biedrins with maggette, crawford, and turiaf off the bench and kelenna doing his thing as usual and morrow developing into a sharp shooter we have a decentline up, albeit with a preposterous amount of scoring guards, but i think someone needs to take crawford or magette off our hands

1. You are acting like Wright is a bust when he was injured the majority of last year. Anybody with a decent basketball IQ would have seen that he is a goodplayer when he played. His length that caused a lot of problems for the players he would guard along with his ability to score pretty easily in the paint waspromising last season.
2. They are developing Randolph (and I think he is doing it himself too) as the SF for this team, so picking a PF isn't a bad idea, since they really wantto move Jackson to the SG position.
3. Jennings and Ellis as the starting backcourt for this team
laugh.gif

All these moves are conflicting.

AR would be better served as a PF in the long run.

Then they don't want Monta to be PG, but yet, they want Jackson to be a SG?

Man, its going to be hard as hell to remain a fan.

Im done trying to figure out this team. IMO the best use of our 7th pick would be to pair it with Maggette and ship that package somewhere. No one who would bearound at 7 which would be a team changer.

[table][tr][td] [/td] [td] [table][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]Word on the Street, June 16th[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]by: Jonathan Givony - President[/td] [/tr][tr][td]June 16, 2009[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Trouble brewing in Golden State?...Jamison to Cleveland?...Minnesota trying to move up?...McGrady being shopped?...USA Basketball tryouts in Colorado Springs.

Trouble Brewing in Golden State?

There is plenty of chatter in NBA circles about issues going on in Golden State that could clearly affect the way they approach their draft pick on June 25th.

The talk is that Monta Ellis is unhappy with the direction the organization is heading in, and still holds a bit of grief over the way they held his contract status in limbo for months following his moped injury. For weeks we've heard that Ellis is no longer interested in playing for Golden State, and apparently it had reached a point where it was "close to popping off" in the words of one NBA executive-meaning going to the media and publicly demanding a trade.

General Manager Larry Riley and head coach Don Nelson reportedly flew to Atlanta to meet with Ellis this week, and basically have made every attempt possible to defuse the situation, at the very least in order to not lose leverage in any trade talk they will inevitably be involved in. One NBA executive we spoke with believes that Ellis was promised that the Warriors will not be picking a point guard with the #7 pick, and that he will be the one running the show for them next year.

Golden State is in a different situation that most teams picking in the top-10, as they are under an unusual amount of pressure to win immediately at all costs-or else. It's widely accepted at this point that incoming General Manager Larry Riley has one year at best to work enough magic in his team's front office and roster to convince ownership to keep him around. Head coach Don Nelson needs 24 wins to surpass Lenny Wilkens and become the winningest coach of all time.

The reality of these situations would seemingly rule out point guards Brandon Jennings and Jonny Flynn, both deemed too raw to be of immediate help to the Warriors next season. Stephen Curry could still be in the mix here, despite the fact that he won't work out here. It's not quite clear what that would do for the Monta Ellis situation. The two other players that seem to be the main candidates are Jordan Hill, and surprisingly enough, James Johnson. Golden State's front office appears to be leaning towards Hill for now, and may have even told him as much after he worked out for them last week, according to a report by Marcus Thompson II of the Bay Area News Group.

Hill had dinner with Coach Don Nelson on Thursday and said he walked away feeling that No. 7 might be the lowest he would go.

"He said if I'm not picked in the top six," Hill said, "they're probably going to take me."

Regardless, look for the Warriors to heavily pursue bringing back Baron Davis this summer, and don't be surprised to see them do something unexpected on draft night.
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]
http://www.draftexpress.c...e-Street-June-16th-3263/
from draftexpress
eyes.gif

so you already know how to read it.
but a lil interesting nonetheless

Back
Top Bottom