Do teens give respect to older guys who collect????

I'm 21, not too long out of my teen years, but close enough.

I give respect when respect is due. I don't know anyone on here personally, everybody is a mere screen name. So no, I do not respect any of the oldercollecters on this site, or on the internet period. If I were to meet any of you in person, and sat down with a cup of tea while we discussed our collections,and politics on Jordan and the Jordan line, then yes, I would have MAD respect for you. But until that happens, you gets no love, from me anyway. Not trynaclown any of the OG's, just simply stating how I feel. If it weren't for you, we probably wouldn't be seeing the ****load of holy grails were arecurrently witnessing in 2008, and for that, and that only, you get my respect, for your passion to keep the line alive with old school memories.

My two cents, keep the change...

I'm 35, been into sneakers since AJKOs. I'll poke my head in here every now and then but don't feel like posting much. The way I see it, theyoung sneakerheads are all jumping on a train that us older cats started rolling 20+ years ago. I don't care if the kids respect me or not; I got togrow-up during a time when sneakers were their best, they didn't.

Honestly, resellers are cool in my opinion because if everyone purchased air jordan sneakers and kept them alot of us would be left out.
Even though at times you may want a pair of shoes and you see that a reseller has them at a higher price than you would expect to normally pay you still havethat choice of obtaining the shoe that you want however you will just have to pay the extra cost.

I am 23 years of age and i feel old because i started keeping all of my sneakers along with the boxes officially back in February of 1999 so next year it willbe 10 years of collecting for me. I saw Jordan play all of the time in games, we all loved him in elementary school along with grant hill and penny hardaway asi have always been a big basketball fan and still is til this very day. I miss watching MJ play!

I have alot of respect shoewise for OG collectors especially if i feel that vibe and know that the passion is still there with you from time to time.
When i have discussions about certain types of sneakers i still get excited (pause) that is through passion.
I also respect the youngns that are now officially in this shoe collecting hobby as long as they have passion for it and i can tell.

Also, what does age have to do with anything? Just because someone is 30 years of age or older is that supposed to mean that they cannot collect anymorebecause of age difference?? That doesnt make sense to me at all and that goes to everyone that is commenting on other peoples ages. This is a hobby that alotof us obviously like to take part in as far as obtaining sneakers that you hopefully like and that is reallly all that matters as aint isnt anything except fora number!

I will also add that the older i get the wiser i become! Real Talk, that is how its supposed to be. No disrespect to users younger than me as we all get olderevery second that passes us by lol.

Originally Posted by HOVKid

Why should young people care about us when the company itself has forgotten about us and left us in the dust?

I don't blame kids for the state of sneakers today. I blame the company for releasing limited quantities. In that Gentry interview he said with the XX3 he wanted to bring back "the chase" because back in the day if you didn't get the shoes when they came out it was too bad for you as they would all be gone. That's the biggest bunch of crap I ever heard. I would beg my parents for months before they got me the sneakers and they were always still available. Limited was not in JB's vocabulary back in the day.
I see you HOV.

Bottom line, this stuff has gone beyond corny now. Everybody needs to worry about themselves. If you approve of what JB is doing, great. If you don't,save your money. I will never argue with someone younger or older than me about shoes just because they have a different perspective. If I say somethingnegative about JB, I don't need some younger dude telling me to "get over it" just like a younger cat doesn't need to hear how much of ahypebeast he/she is because they like fusions, jumpmans and just trendy **** overall. It's obvious who JB is catering to. It is what it is.

And honestly, you can say what you want about younger cats respecting the culture or the history...whatever. It's JB's responsibility to connect thenewer generation to the past. They're just shoes. When we were younger, we were into the "hot" things at the moment. It's no different. But we had the man playing at the time so of course we can appreciate it. But Run DMC influenced me into adidas. My peers had me in Chuck Taylors. I hadsome Ellisses, some 'Roos, LA Gears, $20 Footlocker coupon Reeboks... When Jordans hit the scene, **** got shut down. But what had Jordan accomplishedwhen the I and II dropped? There was no legacy. **** was just hot.

I don't think it should matter that much, but since it does, it just needs to be a respect, both ways, for sharing a common interest.

Anyone on that elitist tip needs their collection to be burned in a grease fire. Reevaluate your life.

Originally Posted by chitown4eva

Originally Posted by HOVKid

Why should young people care about us when the company itself has forgotten about us and left us in the dust?

I don't blame kids for the state of sneakers today. I blame the company for releasing limited quantities. In that Gentry interview he said with the XX3 he wanted to bring back "the chase" because back in the day if you didn't get the shoes when they came out it was too bad for you as they would all be gone. That's the biggest bunch of crap I ever heard. I would beg my parents for months before they got me the sneakers and they were always still available. Limited was not in JB's vocabulary back in the day.
I see you HOV.

Bottom line, this stuff has gone beyond corny now. Everybody needs to worry about themselves. If you approve of what JB is doing, great. If you don't, save your money. I will never argue with someone younger or older than me about shoes just because they have a different perspective. If I say something negative about JB, I don't need some younger dude telling me to "get over it" just like a younger cat doesn't need to hear how much of a hypebeast he/she is because they like fusions, jumpmans and just trendy **** overall. It's obvious who JB is catering to. It is what it is.

And honestly, you can say what you want about younger cats respecting the culture or the history...whatever. It's JB's responsibility to connect the newer generation to the past. They're just shoes. When we were younger, we were into the "hot" things at the moment. It's no different. But we had the man playing at the time so of course we can appreciate it. But Run DMC influenced me into adidas. My peers had me in Chuck Taylors. I had some Ellisses, some 'Roos, LA Gears, $20 Footlocker coupon Reeboks... When Jordans hit the scene, **** got shut down. But what had Jordan accomplished when the I and II dropped? There was no legacy. **** was just hot.

I don't think it should matter that much, but since it does, it just needs to be a respect, both ways, for sharing a common interest.

Anyone on that elitist tip needs their collection to be burned in a grease fire. Reevaluate your life.

Has to be the realest post I've read on this subject...period. Very well said. *Applause*

Originally Posted by illadelALLDAY

I can't believe the elitism going on around here. Get it right, you are not better in any way, shape, or form just because you were born earlier than another person and therefore were able to admire Jordan and his sneakers earlier than others. That is all it boils down too, and you can't argue your way around it. I also don't agree with the whole "respect your elders" thing. Respect must earned.

Another thing is a lot of you had Jordans when you were younger kids, and your parents bought them for you. What about those who were unfortunate enough to be able to afford any of them? Does that make us lesser collectors? My first pair of Jordans were the XXIs, but I've wanted them ever since I was little and knew what they were.

Someone said they laugh at people who say they have 10 pairs of Jordans because it's not a lot? Are you serious? 10 pairs of sneakers is an enormous amount. It may not be a lot compared to your collection, but that still doesn't make it a small amount of sneakers. Another example of elitism.
I'm sorry but I had to laugh at that.
laugh.gif
So you mean to tellme that you aged 18 from 2006 to 2008?
laugh.gif
What are you a dog?

Who the @!*# cares if MJ wore the shoes? Who is he suppose to be God? What happen to buying shoes because they loook good. You guys buying Sheed Af1s becauseyou respect his game? You buying Hunter Forbes SBs because you like Reese Forbe? You buying Hawaiis because you like the Island? No.

its sad when people get on here and start talking about age...wat makes u better than any of us young guys just because u grew up watching mike? and its notjust JB who is in to the weird colorways of shoes and flashy clothing, if you havent noticed thats the way fashion is nowadays so maybe they are justconforming to that to make some money? i dont support the ugly retros im just sayin im sure theyd rather please a mob of hypebeasts than a small amount of 35year old collectors...just my opinion

Respect is something that is earned. Not just because you bought a pair of shoes you get respect. It was how you were raised to respect your elders. There aresome older people that I don't respect because of their character and who they are. Not because they have money to go and buy something or were around tobuy something that is a hobby.

This post should have been "Do teens appreciate older guys who collect" Here is an example.

About 3 years ago I was out shopping in a whole foods market. I was wearing my OG XIII's and an old AIR JORDAN hoodie I was just standing there when Iheard a voice over my shoulder say "those are the original 1998 Air Jordan XIII's" I turned around and there was this younger guy standing there.I said "what" he said "those are the original 1998 Air Jordan XIII's" and I said "yes they are". He then asked me about myhoodie he said "where did you get that hoodie I have never seen one like that?" I told him that it was really old that I got it in the mid 90s. Wethen started to talk about the AJ new release and so on. He really seemed to appreciate an older guy wearing some AJ's.

I definitely give my respect to those who have been an MJ head since he hit the league. I didn't have the chance to see him on tv until about 1993 (5 yo atthe time) and shortly thereafter Spacejam hit and I was a total Jordan fiend.

And then we all remember his shortlived stint here in DC. Though it was great to have him here for a bit. Kind of odd to see him in a Wizkids uniform.

all of this to me doesnt make sense. "Another example of elitism." seriuously? everyone who is on here loves jb and thats a fact. im in hs and lovej's. thats it. it doesnt matter who gets respect or anything like that, its about the shoes. thats all.

I see it like this WHY THE HELL should a teenager respect older guys who COLLECT Jordans or sneakers period. Thats the problem with some of you users onNiketalk. Who cares whether or not a person as seen Michael Jordan play or not some of you guys take these martialistic things such as sneakers to seriously. Ifor one loved when Michael Jordan played back in the day. I liked Michael Jordan first because he was a good basketball player not for what sneakers he playedin. The love for the sneakers came later down the line. Me personally I like most Jordans by the way they look not because Michael Jordan wore them or becausehe endorses the shoe. I see it like this if anybody buys a pair of shoes just because MJ played in them and you don't like the way they look then your anidiot and it obvious you have been brainwashed by Michael Jordan and Jordan Brand. So what if teenagers buy Jordans and don't know the story behind the manwho played in them, we buy shoes to wear/look good not to idolize the person who made the shoes famous. Oh yeah, all this talk about people just beingHYPEBEASTs is way overblown, you don't know the person in the store that bought the 10 pairs of Js and what they know about MJ's legacy, so what ifthey don't know anything but know Jordans will make them some money on Ebay, thats thier BUSSINESS NOT YOURS. If you buy Gucci shoes, are going to be likerespect the other people that have been buying those shoes since the early 80s? The answer to that question is NO! Last but not least, sneaker collecting willbe DEAD once people come to the realization that shoes are just what they are to be worn and to look good to the person buying them, nothing more nothing less.

Your talking about stupid people not really an age group...I am 24yrs and don't quite meet the 30yr old age requirement..I went to a bunch of Bulls gamesin late 80s thru 90s, I also love kicks and respect the true collectors... It would be cool if you didn't place a label on a whole age bracket..

Originally Posted by Gman1209

Im a teen and i give mad respect to older collectors. And i remember watching MJ play especially vs the Jazz so you dont have to be 30+ yrs. to remember watching him play.

Thank you! I watched MJ every single chance I got, and will always remember playin the Jazz in the playoffs. I'm only 19 but I've been into wearingJ's since I was 5. Of course I didn't know what I was wearing that young but when I was 7 and saw the XI's for the first time, I was hooked and gotdamn near every pair after that (with the help of my dad). You don't have to be 30+ to be a "OG" to have knowledge or passion for J's. Irespect people who collect period and do it for the love. I could care less about age.

Right off the bat I'll state that I'm 31. I don't consider myself a collector. I don't consider this a "game". I just buy shoesthat I like. And unlike many, I didn't buy his "kicks" back when I was younger because I idolized MJ or because I wanted to be like him. I wasnever a Bulls fan, I was Showtime fan since I can recall. I just bought them because I liked the shoes. Just like the many other pairs of shoes I bought thenand that I buy now. I mean, if you bought/buy the shoes because you idolized him, does that mean you would buy crime fighters because you might have idolizedsuperman growing up?

Some take this "game" a bit too serious. Like some have already stated, they're just shoes.

I don't need the respect from others. I'm not in high school anymore to feel the need for acceptance and respect.
Mikkol109 wrote:
imo... i'm not going to respect someone just because of their shoe. Theres more to character than jordan brand shoes.
Exactly!!!

On a side note, you don't have to be in college writting a paper to use proper grammar and punctuation. It should be second nature and it should just flowwhen you write.

older guys are just mad. no one cares that your 30 years old. seriously. theyre are plenty of people under the age of thirty that have seen michael playincluding myself and i just turned 21. if you love that everyone is hip to the game then why did you start this post calling younger shoe heads hypebeasts.and if were ''youngbucks'' , what does that make all the older people? old farts? how can you say that you lived in a time of the bestsneakers???? maybe the most classic designs but not the best sneakers. the technology used today is much more advanced than in 85'. just let people buywhat they want. if your a real shoe head with a real collection that what do you care when some kid is calling you a hypebeast. neither one of you know eachother, your past, or whats in your collection. if your that bothered by it try going home to your collection and putting on the OGs that the kid is standingthere waiting for. always makes me feel better. this should be locked because its drama garbage.

I know I have a bunch of respect for the older guys to collect, it gives us younger guys some hope because usually people say this is something you grow out ofand i really hope that i don't. The OG heads give me hope..

Back
Top Bottom