Do you like being called an African American ?

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

What alternatives would you suggest? I'm all for calling you whatever you wanna be called and I think most people would be too.

Call him a "male". or me, IMO, "dark-skinned human being" would be good.
cuz OP has a point

Originally Posted by BlocStarr2006

Originally Posted by shortydoowopp

i don't really care...its obvious i have african ancestors...

Same here but hey, they (Europeans) conquered so it is what it is. These titles were set a long time ago and I think it's too late to just change things now considering they aren't offensive (well at least not to me). I honestly think if you took the "African" part out some of us would forget where we/ancestors came from because where I live there are many blacks that don't even want to be black. What's wrong with proclaiming to be of African ancestry? I think the problem is with what's perceived of Africa. My friend says I'm Irish/German and have never even seen the place. I'm African American...SMARTLY.

Yea rejection of African ancestry is implicit in "blacks" not wanting to be called African Americans. It's a damnshame.....I'll take any and every measure to make sure my children never forget their rich history and ancestry.

Originally Posted by XxHonchoxX

Old NPR Broadcast:

"No matter where you come from, as long as your a black man, your an african."

Dude doesn't even know "You're" or "Your". Soo, don't listen to him
grin.gif
and what he said is not true

im white, i call all my "african american" friends black. infact, i think they'd laugh at me if i called them african american
laugh.gif

as if something is wrong with being connected to where civilization started. whats with the daily self hatred
tired.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted by nick0lis

im white, i call all my "african american" friends black. infact, i think they'd laugh at me if i called them african american
laugh.gif
Yes, i think African American is reserved for "formal" situations. It does sound ridiculous, some girl asked me if I prefer AfricanAmerican women and I was like
grin.gif
. It sounds odd and awkward when whitepeople use it in everyday situations. Black is informal.

Old thread but oh well..

The term African-American is solely for the descendants of African slaves brought to the U.S.; Pretty much all African-Americans descend from the black people who were in the U.S. prior to the civil war...

Since my parents are from Africa, and I was born in America....African American works for me

I guarantee if Africa wasn't portrayed the way it was by the media, most of you would have no problems being called African-Americans.

Back
Top Bottom