Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I don't think I can classify any suit that has Lycra and/or polyester in it as great but at $170, it's a good deal if it fits well.

I got the same sale, that's how I got the black and seersucker, for that price I'm not expecting top notch quality, the difference in fabrics is obvious , specially the black one, but for that price....I'll take them, the fit makes up for it and I bet you'll still look better than someone else in an ill fitting 1k suit...lol

I've been lurking this thread for a while trying to figure out how to actual start wearing clothes that fit. Had a question about hemming jeans. I'm buying a new pair from Nordstrom and am going to to get them hemmed but the tailor keeps telling me it's too short so he's got me second guessing myself. I want them to just barely miss the floor when I'm barefoot but the tailor thinks it will be too short when I wear shoes, any advice is appreciated.

^go to another tailor who will do what you want. Many tailors are used to classic looks, so they're biased.

what's a good rule of thumb for length? These will be my first pair of jeans I've had hemmed, so I don't want them to look off.

It's really a judgement call. Some people like stacks while other like it with little to no break and other rolls for a high-water look.

what's a good rule of thumb for length? These will be my first pair of jeans I've had hemmed, so I don't want them to look off.

That's all personal preference. Your best bet is to wear the type of shoe you plan to wear most often with them and have your tailor hem at wherever you want them to hit the shoe. I personally have some jeans hemmed to where they hit the top of my shoes with a little stacking and some that hit at the ankle when wearing loafers so it's really up to you.

Everybody has a personal preference I like all my jeans,chinos,dress pants etc to come about 2" to 3" from touching the top of my shoes without any stacking or rolling....I'm 6'1 and I find a 30" usually achieves the desired look

For the price, and not on the level of something like Sunspel, these BR luxe touch polos are incredible, especially if you can catch them on a good sale :smokin

For the people praising the Express suits, they are too expensive for the quality. If dude is spending $280 then why not stretch a little and go for ~$400 and cop a Hugo Boss slim fit suit from Nordstrom Rack? Much better quality suit, it's a real suit, sure it's fused but we are talking about Dropping almost 3 bills for an express suit!!?? :S

Lol just my 2 cents. I've owned several Hugo boss suits , and at this stage of my life they are great for interviews, weddings, social events and everything in between. They retail for 8-900 but you can get em 60% off if you look a little bit!

At $500 go either suit supply for half canvassed or I recommend thick as thieves for full at the same price point. MTM with the latter as well. Going to pick my jacket up tomorrow. Only needed the midsection adjusted $50 but everything else was spot on. I am excite.

But if we're using that logic, why not spend x amount more for a suit from y brand instead of hugo and then why not spend a bit more for mtm or bespoke

^ because I am being respectful to his price range! Dude was only planning on spending $280, so I thought if I had ~100 more it's not too much if a stretch. By all means, if he wants to spend more and go Savile Row then he should! Just trying to be helpful, hope my logic didnt upset the Express sales reps in here lol

At $500 go either suit supply for half canvassed or I recommend thick as thieves for full at the same price point. MTM with the latter as well. Going to pick my jacket up tomorrow. Only needed the midsection adjusted $50 but everything else was spot on. I am excite.
Also depends on the shape of the person, ie TaT is only good for skinny guys and some folks may not be too comfy with going MTM from the jump. If a guy is already confused about buying a suit from a store he may be intimidated about getting measured for one that's going to be made based on the specs :lol:

With that said I call at least 3 more TaT suits for you by Dec 31st 2014 :lol:

Sounds about right. That grey plaid one is gonna be next and I'd want one exact the same but navy. Lastly perhaps a pinstripe. Inch wide most likely in navy as well. Extra pretentious :smokin

Also depends on the shape of the person, ie TaT is only good for skinny guys and some folks may not be too comfy with going MTM from the jump. If a guy is already confused about buying a suit from a store he may be intimidated about getting measured for one that's going to be made based on the specs
laugh.gif

With that said I call at least 3 more TaT suits for you by Dec 31st 2014
laugh.gif
I mine as well scoop one too

But if we're using that logic, why not spend x amount more for a suit from y brand instead of hugo and then why not spend a bit more for mtm or bespoke

In addition there is a difference between spending for example $1000 versus $500, that is a huge difference. I think the example of savings up from $280 to $500 is somewhat different. Yea it's "near" twice as much just like in the MTM/Bespoke example, but savings $220 versus $500 more is a lot. In addition I personally would rather buy two suits from places from like Suit Supply, Indochino or Thick as Thieves with $1000, then just 1 for a grand.

Also depends on the shape of the person, ie TaT is only good for skinny guys and some folks may not be too comfy with going MTM from the jump. If a guy is already confused about buying a suit from a store he may be intimidated about getting measured for one that's going to be made based on the specs :lol:

With that said I call at least 3 more TaT suits for you by Dec 31st 2014 :lol:

I say he is going bespoke by the end of 2014.

The spending continues. Found some DS W+H sneakers from FW11... they're a nice, chunky alternative to your usual Converse/Jack Purcells and they're made in the same factory as Common Projects (Italy) so the quality is :smokin. I'm trying to slowly phase out sneakers (Nikes/Jordans) but these will make for a great alternative.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom