Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I went by a local stores and leather is definite out in full force. Even Banana Republic has a leather shirt out for women.

The cuffed sweat pants are also very in. I saw a mannequin at Hugo Boss with a suit jacket, sweater, dress shirt and tie on the upper half and those cuffed sweat pants and sneakers :lol: Pretty atypical for Boss.

I stepped into Club Monaco and dang...prices are really high for a mall brand. A lot of cardigans were $150+. The reason I stopped by was because they had this dope piece, it's a long cardigan with a rope. Price is way too high though at $250. I personally wouldn't pay anything retail at the store, maybe at least 40% off then I'll consider.

Good info on the shoes, the taps will suffice... I won't be wearing them enough for all the extras..

Leather is all over the damn place, getting sick of it real fast, the sweat pants with leather are the absolute worst, looks so tacky.

Whats the back story on the "Nas Polo"? saw it mentioned a few times, just a shirt he wore?

These days there are places that can put on whole new soles so no need for the taps or rubber, unless you are doing it for grip.
My thought exactly.

This is the guy the folks on SF go to for their superlative dress footwear. He also posts on the board.

http://www.bnelsonshoes.com/high_grade_shoes.asp

Once I need work done, I'll be going to him for my Aldens and Carminas. The England stuff will be sent back to the UK.

i bought these today. now maybe i wont be shy to post outfit pics :lol:

Last edited:
Good info on the shoes, the taps will suffice... I won't be wearing them enough for all the extras..

Leather is all over the damn place, getting sick of it real fast, the sweat pants with leather are the absolute worst, looks so tacky.

Whats the back story on the "Nas Polo"? saw it mentioned a few times, just a shirt he wore?

:lol: I'm actually looking forward to wearing my black double rider with my tapered sweat pants as soon as the weather dips again.

I'm still on the look out for leather shorts and pants. Pretty surprised/sad that the A. Wang joint never made it to a sale in my size. Didn't want to spend $500+ for it.

Doesn't walking with the taps on feel weird for you? I tried on a pair at a thrift store and it felt really awkward. Also, be careful when walking on stairs...those things can catch.

The "Nas" polo:

A member (who is now banned I think since he is still active on SF) posted in this thread and asked if anyone knows what that brand of polo is and where to buy. He posted a picture of Nas wearing it.

No one here knew.

He kept asking and posted a separate thread on General as well.

He kept asking and bumped the thread a month later.

He goes on to make a thread on SF asking the same question.

He finally got the answer, and came back on here to say that "the real dressing better place answered him".

It is unknown if he actually copped or not.

Oh yeah. Pic of the roped cardigan. Joint is fire, b. But not $250 Club Monaco fire though.

hahahaha I definitely wasn't expecting all of that

As for the taps, I'm used to it, when i was younger and my pops bought me shoes he would always get taps put on them.... the few times I wore my LV shoes, I wanna say 10-15 the heel began wearing unevenly so I prefer them on there. The shoe repair replaced the heels on those, wish I had just done it from the beginning. The taps and rubber sole just seem like inexpensive preventive measures.

Last edited:
Regarding adding a topy/wibram/rubber on leather soles, if you can afford it, go right ahead. I actually just had my Guidi derby and boots applied yesterday.
2iutenl.jpg

It's a $30-$40 process and there really aren't any drawbacks to it.

• It helps with comfort, you do not feel every tiny little pebbles on the ground.
  • It helps with safety, you won't be slipping on smooth or wet surfaces.
  • It helps preserve the leather sole and it cost a lot less to replace a rubber topy than having it resoled.

Last edited:
Regarding adding a topy/wibram/rubber on leather soles, if you can afford it, go right ahead. I actually just had my Guidi derby and boots applied yesterday.
2iutenl.jpg

It's a $30-$40 process and there really aren't any drawbacks to it.

• It helps with comfort, you do not feel every tiny little pebbles on the ground.
  • It helps with safety, you won't be slipping on smooth or wet surfaces.
  • It helps preserve the leather sole and it cost a lot less to replace a rubber topy than having it resoled.

Those are some $$$ kicks.

Have you guys seen this kind of sneakers in your area?

http://fuuka.warosu.org/data/fa/img/0063/01/1370732568225.jpg

http://www.limitemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/rick-owens-geobasket-sneaker-1.jpg

In the last month or so, I've seen at least 10 folks wearing them, which is pretty high. Not counting the previous month, I've seen like once or twice ever. Not sure if it is coincidence on my part or something triggered that :lol:

Those are rick owens geobasketts.
I think thats the name.

Last edited:
name is in the link bruh

Pretty sure he's asking because they're not exactly cheap and like he said, count is high.
I actually don't see a lot of people wearing "baller" sneakers even though I live in NYC, but then again, I stay in midtown most of the time and don't venture down to soho
I've seen a guy wear lanvins, though and some dude once with high top MMMs

Last edited:
Just went to a house event last night. Music was amazing, check out PillowTalk (SanFran based)   ; Wore a jean jacket, distressed tee, dark chinos and superstars. To keep it  a bit on topic, what do you guys wear when going to events like this, or concerts, clubs etc?

interesting article on ties:
[h1]The Tie is Dead. (Long Live the Tie)[/h1][h2]No longer a requirement for the power elite, the necktie is starting to disappear in the corporate realm. But the new generation of menswear aficionados is keeping it from extinction[/h2]
By  
JOHN ORTVED

Updated Oct. 19, 2013 12:38 a.m. ET

SOMETHING WAS MISSING.  When Barack Obama met with Vladimir Putin  this June at the G-8 summit in Northern Ireland, congeniality wasn't the only thing that was noticeably absent; both leaders' neckties were AWOL. The gesture apparently came at the behest of host and British Prime Minister David Cameron, who lobbied for a more relaxed dress code at the two-day international conference. The new look immediately raised eyebrows in the British press.

However, this was hardly Mr. Obama's first public appearance sans neckwear. "Obama Wears His Suit Without a Tie. Can You?"was a question posed by Esquire magazine in the early months of his first term. In 2011, the president confronted Bill O'Reilly wearing an open collar when they sat down for a pre-Super Bowl interview. He even convinced Chinese President Xi Jinping to go tieless when they met this summer. While Mr. Obama is photographed wearing a necktie more often than not, for a certain brand of conservative (sartorial, not political), he can be seen as a destroyer of decorum. When the leader of the free world eschews tradition and establishes a new neckwear standard, one has to ask: Is the tie dead?

"The tie is definitely not dead. It's just not a growing business at the moment," said Eric Jennings, vice president and men's fashion director at Saks Fifth Avenue. By 2008, annual ties sales in the U.S. had dropped to $677.7 million dollars from a record high of $1.3 billion in 1995, according to market research firm NPD Group. And since 2009, the number of men who acquire more than one tie a year has slowly but steadily dropped, reported research group Packaged Facts. Even brands closely associated with classic ties—Ermenegildo Zegna and Canali—have been featuring fewer neckties in runway shows, said Mr. Jennings, "because they need to show all the options."

Anecdotal evidence from the corporate world varies. John Fraser, 51, managing partner of a real-estate investment firm in New York, often wears a tie with his suit, but not always. He has also noticed fewer tie-wearers among his colleagues and associates. "It seems like more of a personal choice, as opposed to several years ago when it was mandatory," said Mr. Fraser. "Now there's broader bandwidth of what represents acceptable business clothing."

“'It's stupid. It makes no sense. What does it do? It's just a decoration, an affectation.'”

Patrick Sweeney, 36, however, wears a tie—Hermès, Etro or Salvatore Ferragamo—every day to his real estate job in midtown Manhattan. "I would get fired if I didn't," said Mr. Sweeney. "The head of the company wears a tie, so everyone else does as well." When not obliged to knot up, however, Mr. Sweeney doesn't wear one. "Generally, I find them uncomfortable and overly formal," he said.

In the entertainment industry, producer Gavin Polone said he rarely sees ties on the executives, agents or lawyers with whom he does business. Mr. Polone didn't mince words about his own feelings on the divisive strip of silk: "It's stupid. It makes no sense. What does it do? It's just a decoration, an affectation. If I see a colleague wearing a tie, I usually ask if they're going to a funeral or a job interview, or if they've been indicted."

Much credit for neutralizing the tie's once-monolithic power goes to the tech industry—both the recent wave of entrepreneurs and the one that preceded it. The corporate lawyers and Goldman Sachs bankers who write their contracts and secure their financing might still wear ties, but many giants of the 3.0 business world are partial to hoodies. In Spike Jonze's new sci-fi film, "Her," set in the digital culture of the not-too-distant future, the only man wearing a tie is a lawyer.

It's no surprise that the 1990s tech bubble coincided with the introduction of Casual Friday and a rejection of the Gordon Gekko power-tie of the '80s. Tom Ford, the pre-eminent designer of the '90s, was rarely seen without an open-collar shirt under his Gucci or Yves Saint Laurent jacket. "We all went through a period of dressing down as a reaction to tech firms and their success," said Mr. Fraser. But some men in the generation that came after reacted to the schlubby informality by willfully dressing to the nines.

"The classic, shiny tie [category] is not growing, but there's a whole other movement," said Saks Fifth Avenue's Mr. Jennings. He pointed to young men who wear ties as a statement of personal style.

Call them the Justin Timberlake/Jay Z contingent. Mr. Timberlake's recent hit single, "Suit & Tie," on which the rapper-cum-mogul made a cameo, exalts the seductive power of a proper look, and exemplifies pop culture's obsession with men's style. It's now cool to dress up, and to know about the minutiae of roped shoulders and Windsor knots. Type the words "menswear blog" into Google and marvel at the trove of pages that comes up.

So while the president and the corporate suite might be dropping four-in-hand formality, a shiny new demographic is enthusiastically picking it up. "Guys are learning to do it differently, not because they have to wear a tie, but because they want to," said Brooks Brothers merchandise manager Jeff Blee. "It's about a guy trying to express himself."

No one knows this more than Alexander Olch, 36, who, in 2002, began selling his ties—quirky pieces in nontraditional fabrics—online, and is now about to open his first retail shop on New York's Lower East Side. The wider array of options, said Mr. Olch, offers a wider range of formality levels. If silk feels stuffy, he added, a guy can wear crinkled cotton.

"It's an interesting time for the tie," said 31-year-old David Hart, who launched a neckwear line in 2009, and has since expanded into suits, shirts and coats. "I see guys wanting to dress up and they're getting excited about neckwear because there's a lot more in the market for young people." (Though both Mr. Hart and Mr. Olch say that their clientele isn't exclusively young and hip.)

Even if ties aren't a booming growth sector, fresh interest from the pro-tie set has made the merchandise more compelling. "The good news is there's been a lot of innovation," said Bloomingdale's vice-president and men's fashion director Kevin Harter. "The wool tie business is on fire right now."

As for how tie-hawking retailers feel about the president's neckwear habits, Neiman Marcus's men's fashion director, Matthew Singer, remarked, "He's the president. If he doesn't want to wear a tie, he doesn't have to."
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...579135772899428460?mod=WSJ_hps_LEFTTopStories

Last edited:
Just went to a house event last night. Music was amazing, check out PillowTalk (SanFran based)  ; Wore a jean jacket, distressed tee, dark chinos and superstars. To keep it  a bit on topic, what do you guys wear when going to events like this, or concerts, clubs etc?

I wear pretty much what you wear though I don't club much anymore. Will check out the link in a bit. Need more workout mixes!

name is in the link bruh

Pretty sure he's asking because they're not exactly cheap and like he said, count is high.
I actually don't see a lot of people wearing "baller" sneakers even though I live in NYC, but then again, I stay in midtown most of the time and don't venture down to soho
I've seen a guy wear lanvins, though and some dude once with high top MMMs
Yes. The name is irrelevant to the question I asked. And agreed, I only saw baller kicks being worn a handful of times in the wild by anyone.

Back
Top Bottom