Dressing Better Vol 2.0

So part of GQ's upgrade involves photoshopping/airbrushing.  Awesome.

That's like the deluxe package photographers offer.  Hope he got the digital images plus some 8x10s & wallet sized.

Last edited:

I asked this guy: http://dumitrucosmin.tumblr.com/image/77096998164 what's up with the extremely skinny jeans/pants and the animal prints. You can't even make the difference if those are women's legs or men's legs anymore considering the fits and patterns.

He replied to me that I should do more research on animal prints for men (?), and that he feels comfortable enough to wear skinny jeans.

I followed through and asked if skinny jeans weren't such a trend would he still wear them and he told me that I don't understand the difference between style and trends, and you need to evolve and that I must see the animal print featured in menswear. 

WAT?

I'm all about personal style and expressing it, even being flamboyant, hell I've got an orange top coat 
wink.gif
 but jumping on every trend and calling it evolving your style seems fishy to me..

What's your opinion guys?
So nobody has any opinion? Sorry for bumping my post, but I'm really curios what y'all think?

To be fair, it does sounds like you were setting him up for a trap. :lol:

I see no problem with being comfortable with skinny jeans, be it a trend/fad or not. It's his individual style. As for animal prints, it is the trend right now and it used to be a trend back then, they are simply making a comeback or in a style rotation with a twist, same with the skinny jeans.

I mean we've all been there, changing with the styles. Look at Wis and Adrians before pics but now they are more into classic fits but chances are, with age, it'll still likely evolve. Whether that evolves with integration of the next trend or not, it's up to them. That blogger might still be finding his style or he might just be one of those guys who simply "evolves" with the trends and he will continue to change as the trends change, there are plenty of people who does it, we all sure do in here, that blogger just does it to the extreme as buy change his whole wardrobe.

I mean when camo was big, almost everyone here got into it and tried to incorporate it, no one went nuts and went full camo (outside of Wis) but we are also a victim unconsciously. The boat shoes, the Clark DBs, the skinny lapels, etc... We've all been through it and to an extent, it can be a classic look and you can trace back some iconic fashion figure wearing them decades ago but it is still considered a trend in the end.

As a blogger, it's almost like they have to do it to get people to check out their website. No one is going to keep going back to it if he wore the same thing over and over again, they have to bring in something new to the table to get viewers back and they have to do it often.

That's my two cents on that.

I read that and wasn't sure what to think.  I don't get into latching onto every trend and/or overdoing it but I'm not sure why it bothers you.  You don't even have to look hard and you can stumble across plenty of people that study magazines, blogs, etc and think they're an expert (no shots).

If he doesn't know what he's talking about, is unoriginal and trying too hard, so be it.

Re: evolving of style that RFX stated. That is true. Sometime it can be so minute that you may not see it right away. Ex: I thought the pants on my first suit were too high for me initially since they have no break. Now I think they're a good length. I haven't done anything to them in the 3 years of owning.

My pants are getting nothing but slimmer as time progresses. I don't see this changing anytime soon, or ever really.
That's what you say now...

I'm old enough to remember nearly two decades of skinny jeans not being what's hot.

I also remember the gradual change of pant fit over the last 7+ years. It was weird at first and considered extremely feminine but over time, as more and more people adopted the style, it became normal and the prior fit became abnormal.

If enough celebrities and people adopt a baggier jean style, and enough time passes, you and everyone else will eventually adopt the style.

The only thing in fashion that's guaranteed is that trends change like seasons. Nothing is ever poppin for more than 10 yrs, tops. 

Last edited:
the problem with baggier stuff is that it doesn't drape well a lot of times so it looks bad

There are plenty of people who wear more loose fitting clothes that drape well and it looks fine. 

If oyu do look at the recent runway shows though, more and more are going back to the baggy look. It could take a few season and even years but it could go back to that.

It's not the baggy Phat Farm or Southpole size 40 jeans on a size 28 waist though, it's more like Yohji baggy, the pants drapes well and create a better silhouette.

What up everyone? I've been on NT since 03 mostly lurking and lost all my original profile info on the yuku switch. Over the years I have drawn a lot of fashion inspiration from everyone on NT so thank you all. I feel like I have some good input to give here so I wanted to introduce myself before I jump in. I have worked retail for 9+ years with Gap, Foot Locker and now J. Crew Men's as a Personal Stylist. I've learned a lot about fashion through these jobs and have chosen to make it a career. By no means do I feel like an expert, just an enthusiast. I just want to bounce some ideas, get and give feedback, hear your opinions on J. Crew and maybe network a little with anyone who is interested and shops the brand.

I'll start off with a recent interview outfit. This was absolutely the required attire for this type of interview, it did't require a suit or tie. I was informed by the interviewer.

Is that the lambswool sweater? I have two colors of that one I believe, love it. I like J Crew because good styling, fits my body well wihout alterations, and decent prices with sales. What do you do as a stylist, basically shop for customers that come in? Do you work with women styling too?

Nah its actually Indigo Dyed cotton from the W&B collection. I like the lambswool too though. Pretty light weight for the warmth. As a stylist I do help customers that come in, but I also have clientele that I set up appointments with for new wardrobes, vacation clothing, new jobs etc. I order items online for some clients, and I coordinate events. It's pretty straight. I don't do any women's styling as I work in a shop that carries only Men's Casual clothing. But there are stylist for the women's store that are men.

I don't see slim clothes ever going away. They were the standard for most of the world for eternity anyway other than the US. During the 90s my European and Asian cousins would always harass me about my baggy clothes while I would always hate on their "girls' jeans". Hell even here all the rich white kids at the schools I went to were wearing slim clothes for as long as I can remember.

Skinny jeans, as in the painted on leggings fit, will hopefully leave soon and never come back though.

Last edited:
I don't see slim clothes ever going away. They were the standard for most of the world for eternity anyway other than the US. During the 90s my European and Asian cousins would always harass me about my baggy clothes while I would always hate on their "girls' jeans". Hell even here all the rich white kids at the schools I went to were wearing slim clothes for as long as I can remember.

Skinny jeans, as in the painted on leggings fit, will hopefully leave soon and never come back though.
 Bro, I went to high school in Seoul from 96-00. Baggy clothes is all we wore..

Slim won't go away but trend could change. I mean it already somewhat started with the drop crotch shorts/pants, those tends to be more roomy overall. It's not as big as the baggy jeans or skinny jeans trend but it is, was a trend.

If oyu do look at the recent runway shows though, more and more are going back to the baggy look. It could take a few season and even years but it could go back to that.

It's not the baggy Phat Farm or Southpole size 40 jeans on a size 28 waist though, it's more like Yohji baggy, the pants drapes well and create a better silhouette.
I'm finna wear basketball shorts under my dress trousers :pimp:

Bro, I went to high school in Seoul from 96-00. Baggy clothes is all we wore..
You had blonde braids too tho? word to early day Taeyang :lol:

Slim is always a timeless look. You can look at the mod scene in the UK decades ago. However, timeless is not always the current trend that's popping.

Slim won't go away but trend could change. I mean it already somewhat started with the drop crotch shorts/pants, those tends to be more roomy overall. It's not as big as the baggy jeans or skinny jeans trend but it is, was a trend.
I couldn't do it. I thought I would dig dress trousers with a high rise for a drop crotch look. I tried it on and it looked horrible on me. Diaper butt to da max, b.

Yea I wasn't referring to my Asian cousins that were into that confusing Nsync look :lol:

and a lot more people these days are body conscious than they were in the baggy 90s era. Probably cause so many other people are obese :lol: but yea, I can't see slim clothes going away just off the strength of people not wanting to hide their physiques under acres of clothes.

Drop crotch will and always will be horrendous

Last edited:
Yea I wasn't referring to my Asian cousins that were into that confusing Nsync look :lol:

and a lot more people these days are body conscious than they were in the baggy 90s era. Probably cause so many other people are obese :lol: but yea, I can't see slim clothes going away just off the strength of people not wanting to hide their physiques under acres of clothes.

Drop crotch will and always will be horrendous
GQ will decide that, bro. When folks think of snappy dresser, first thought is GQ. And you're right. Right now they're still having cats in tight dress shirts looking like compression shirts.

If you look at the GQs from the 90s, fitted gear wasn't endorsed tho.

GQ is trash. They have 6'8 250 dudes like LeBron in skin tight pants. They haven't gotten a hold of the simple idea that the fit of the clothes should match the physique of the person. fitted clothes look good on the slim and athletic soccer player physique , not brolic guys

the 80s and 90s were just horrible eras for fashion in general :lol:

Last edited:
GQ is trash. They have 6'8 250 dudes like LeBron in skin tight pants. They haven't gotten a hold of the simple idea that the fit of the clothes should match the physique of the person.
Exactly.

But to the general public, it's the benchmark of men's fashion. This is why SF dislikes GQ so much :lol:

The 80s and 90s gave us classic kicks though. I feel like there were no rules back then. I was born in 85 so take it for what it's worth. I mean cats wore shirts with Looney Tune characters dressed as Kriss Kross, some stone washed jeans and fresh kicks :pimp:

Last edited:
Shoes wise I agree. The LeBron XI is the first non retro/retro styled shoe I bought in my life to wear casually. It was so good and ugly at the same time that I just had to have it.

You had blonde braids too tho? word to early day Taeyang
laugh.gif

Slim is always a timeless look. You can look at the mod scene in the UK decades ago. However, timeless is not always the current trend that's popping.
lmao. I literally spit beer all over my tweed coat.

No one in Korea actually dresses like those K pop stars. That's all stage costuming, kinda like how Yeezy wears those ridiculous masks and outfits on stage.

Ultimately, slim is how I like to dress. I couldn't fathom myself going back to the OD baggy look, however, I said the same thing about the fitted look a decade ago.
Yea I wasn't referring to my Asian cousins that were into that confusing Nsync look
laugh.gif
We wore exactly what everyone in the states were wearing. PNB, Enyce, Triple5Soul, Mecca, Polo, etc. Point is, I know for a fact that young Asians in Tokyo and Seoul were dressing baggy in the 90's.

Last edited:
Shoes wise I agree. The LeBron XI is the first non retro/retro styled shoe I bought in my life to wear casually. It was so good and ugly at the same time that I just had to have it.
I agree. The Lebron XI is something nice. I still haven't cop a pair though.

lmao. I literally spit beer all over my tweed coat.

No one in Korea actually dresses like those K pop stars. That's all stage costuming, kinda like how Yeezy wears those ridiculous masks and outfits on stage.

Ultimately, slim is how I like to dress. I couldn't fathom myself going back to the OD baggy look, however, I said the same thing about the fitted look a decade ago.

We wore exactly what everyone in the states were wearing. PNB, Enyce, Triple5Soul, Mecca, Polo, etc. Point is, I know for a fact that young Asians in Tokyo and Seoul were dressing baggy in the 90's.
I hear that, man. The baggier the better. I think when I bought clothes back then, I just went to the 2xl and 3xl :lol:

Back
Top Bottom