Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Not to be racially offensive at all, but I feel like there's so many outfits/styles I see in these threads that white dudes come fresh with, but I can't pull off at all.......

I dont think its race its more of body types. As a black dude, I really love Rfx's fits. His fits seem to be in their class of their own not really touched in this thread. Guess its because the price points on many can be 1k+. Dudes on Nt rather break that on galaxy foams or yezzy's.
Some of the stuff I have tried, some I have failed. I think he has a smaller foot than me Im a 12-13. I love rick owens but they look like space boots on me. I tend to generally stick with RFX though cause more of his stuff looks good on me. Kicks is where it gets bad.

Ksteey has some nice fits as well. I see his fits as a first year out of college fits. Making a lil money and can slurge a lil. Im pretty sure hes smaller than me as well. I may have laughed at the kardashin reference but i honestly think it was a nice fit. Im bout the same size as Chloe and I would not dare try to pull that look off.

WJ4 seem to be the next step after Ksteezy, Done with the jordans and nikes. Its been years since I graduated and truly a professional attire. Fits are nice as well. No offense to WJ4 but he has no body compared to me. Im 6'3", big feet/ mass, and a lil bit of a stomach when im lazy/ swamped with work. I just look at his fits pics say nice and keep moving. Wont dare to try any of his stuff.

Do what I do, pick and choose what you like and go from there. Just because a fit is liked in the thread, doesnt mean its nice for you.

IMO

Goes back to study APEX

I dont think its race its more of body types. As a black dude, I really love Rfx's fits. His fits seem to be in their class of their own not really touched in this thread. Guess its because the price points on many can be 1k+. Dudes on Nt rather break that on galaxy foams or yezzy's.
Some of the stuff I have tried, some I have failed. I think he has a smaller foot than me Im a 12-13. I love rick owens but they look like space boots on me. I tend to generally stick with RFX though cause more of his stuff looks good on me. Kicks is where it gets bad.
Ksteey has some nice fits as well. I see his fits as a first year out of college fits. Making a lil money and can slurge a lil. Im pretty sure hes smaller than me as well. I may have laughed at the kardashin reference but i honestly think it was a nice fit. Im bout the same size as Chloe and I would not dare try to pull that look off.
WJ4 seem to be the next step after Ksteezy, Done with the jordans and nikes. Its been years since I graduated and truly a professional attire. Fits are nice as well. No offense to WJ4 but he has no body compared to me. Im 6'3", big feet/ mass, and a lil bit of a stomach when im lazy/ swamped with work. I just look at his fits pics say nice and keep moving. Wont dare to try any of his stuff.
Do what I do, pick and choose what you like and go from there. Just because a fit is liked in the thread, doesnt mean its nice for you.
IMO
Goes back to study APEX

I definitely think that. Im 5'4 with a 34 inch waist. So most of the stuff peple post or what models wear on ex. Urban outfitters, look totally different on me.

IMO
Goes back to study APEX

I definitely think that. Im 5'4 with a 34 inch waist. So most of the stuff peple post or what models wear on ex. Urban outfitters, look totally different on me.

Agreed 100%. Body type has a lot to do with it. 5'7 with a 33inch waist. The dream was to get back down to a 32, but I highly down that's going to happen without serious sacrifices :smh:

Also my legs are quite longer than my torso. So certain fits that RFX, Steezy and WJ4 wear would look foolish on me...

GQs Project Upgrade, I always liked this stuff from GQ because it shows a good and before and after transformation and mostly just from getting the right fit on the clothes.
upgrade1-before.jpg
upgrade1-after.jpg

upgrade2-before.jpg
upgrade2-after.jpg

upgrade3-before.jpg
upgrade3-after.jpg

upgrade4-before.jpg
upgrade4-after.jpg

upgrade5-before.jpg
upgrade5-after.jpg

upgrade6-before.jpg
upgrade6-after.jpg

Not to be racially offensive at all, but I feel like there's so many outfits/styles I see in these threads that white dudes come fresh with, but I can't pull off at all.......
I can say that I feel ur pain...But I will also have to agree that the outfit styles have to do more with body type rather than race....I'm 6'1 220 and I know I can't pull off 80% of the looks that Ksteezy and WJ4 pull off..However, I try to look at the way people put some of their pieces together (patterns, textures, colors) and I try to incorporate various aspects of what I see  into my own style......On a side note, one thing that I have noticed is that there are very few African American Celebrities that seek to embody a "timeless look" or have an elegant sense of style..Also, unless you live close to New York City or any other major city you will probably not see very many examples of African Americans (in general) dressing that way on a daily basis.......So I would def agree that aren't very many examples of African Americans pulling off a more distinguished look..

Last edited:
GQs Project Upgrade, I always liked this stuff from GQ because it shows a good and before and after transformation and mostly just from getting the right fit on the clothes.
upgrade1-before.jpg
upgrade1-after.jpg

upgrade2-before.jpg
upgrade2-after.jpg

upgrade3-before.jpg
upgrade3-after.jpg

upgrade4-before.jpg
upgrade4-after.jpg

upgrade5-before.jpg
upgrade5-after.jpg

upgrade6-before.jpg
upgrade6-after.jpg

Huge upgrades for all of those.

The funny thing to me is that GQ seems intent on styling people with tight suit pants (1st & 5th dudes in the pics). I'd have no problems with it if they did so on the more casual outfits but on more traditional suits? It looks bad to me. You even see pulling on the jackets because they're too small but it's not AS bad, at least a jacket can be unbuttoned to give you free movement.

The grooming, photography/re-touching aspect is a different story but it shows how with suits/business wear especially, the 1st, 3rd & 5th guys would do much better with clothing that fits. They all had issues with being able to get their pants hemmed, 2"+ too long on all of them...some would argue they're too short after though.

I can say that I feel ur pain...But I will also have to agree that the outfit styles have to do more with body type rather than race....I'm 6'1 220 and I know I can't pull off 80% of the looks that Ksteezy and WJ4 pull off..However, I try to look at the way people put some of their pieces together (patterns, textures, colors) and I try to incorporate various aspects of what I see  into my own style......On a side note, one thing that I have noticed is that there are very few African American Celebrities that seek to embody a "timeless look" or have an elegant sense of style..Also, unless you live close to New York City or any other major city you will probably not see very many examples of African Americans (in general) dressing that way on a daily basis.......So I would def agree that aren't very many examples of African Americans pulling off a more distinguished look..

I think it has to be a confidence thing too, because there are some things that I've done that were comfortable that just worked. I've then slowly introduced some things that were outside of my comfort zone, that I didn't think would work, that I was shocked that I received compliments in. That in turn boosted the confidence to keep pushing the envelope a little bit more. You look at in the magazines now, and there's really not anyone representing us(African-Americans) in the modelling world, so we just have to look towards ourselves to take that step and try something new, because a lot of this stuff DOES look good on us.

Hey_

Gotta agree that its largely a body type and confidence thing.

Every time I venture on to SF, and read that most dudes are wearing an xs, I'm confused as all hell.

Sittin' there like "how in the hell is grown man wearing an extra small? This is possible?"

...And there is a severe lack of people of color represented in "fashion mags" for men.

I can't really take advantage of grooming tips because they don't benefit my skin or hair type.

Julius F. Wrek

The funny thing to me is that GQ seems intent on styling people with tight suit pants (1st & 5th dudes in the pics). I'd have no problems with it if they did so on the more casual outfits but on more traditional suits? It looks bad to me. You even see pulling on the jackets because they're too small but it's not AS bad, at least a jacket can be unbuttoned to give you free movement.

The grooming, photography/re-touching aspect is a different story but it shows how with suits/business wear especially, the 1st, 3rd & 5th guys would do much better with clothing that fits. They all had issues with being able to get their pants hemmed, 2"+ too long on all of them...some would argue they're too short after though.

A slight pulling on the suit doesn't bother me, especially when the pics are taken with the person in motion, it just mean it is fitted just about perfectly if it only pulls when moving. But that is me and my more modern preference to suits (narrower lapel, shorter length, etc...).

I like it when GQ does it because it can be taken as a guide. In the older thread, people were always asking what needed to be altered or what is necessary to change to make a better fitting suit/clothes and the before/after pics really helps in that regard. You can see how alteration make the clothes look better w/o changing the body type because some example does tend to show a model while those guys are just normal guys you see walking around.

...And there is a severe lack of people of color represented in "fashion mags" for men.

I think GQ is pretty diverse in this regard. In the past 4-6 months, I've seen plenty of athletes from the NBA to the bigger bodied NFL players to rappers like Big Sean, Drake, Trey Songz, etc... to even actors like Denzel. Heck they even have Jeremy Lin in their latest issue.

Hey_

I think GQ is pretty diverse in this regard. In the past 4-6 months, I've seen plenty of athletes from the NBA to the bigger bodied NFL players to rappers like Big Sean, Drake, Trey Songz, etc... to even actors like Denzel. Heck they even have Jeremy Lin in their latest issue.

True.

My main critique with GQ is their grooming tips aren't as comprehensive for minorities.

I remember Joshua and Trav from Street Etiquette were messing with the idea of having a print magazine.

Julius F. Wrek

They're definitely coming around, but just like you said, they're celebs or athletes. It can't be that hard to find a slim, African-American/Asian/Hispanic/Latino/Pacific Islander/Native-American model for regular shoots. I think that's the problem that some of us have.

Hey_
True.
My main critique with GQ is their grooming tips aren't as comprehensive for minorities.
I remember Joshua and Trav from Street Etiquette were messing with the idea of having a print magazine.
Julius F. Wrek

Yeah grooming tips isn't really something I take too seriously from GQ, I just browse their recommended items so I know what to try out. I like looking through Details.coms health and fitness section better.

As for a print magazine by SE, I am not sure they can make much $$ from it. Magazines are a dying breed and their market would be much smaller than that or GQ, Esquire, Details, etc... Plus the magazines I want, I get for free like Maxim, Car&Driver, etc.. or pay like $3 a year for the GQ and Esquire. I think they are better off with a digital mag and get more ad sponsors, like their typical SE website, maybe just expand it.

A slight pulling on the suit doesn't bother me, especially when the pics are taken with the person in motion, it just mean it is fitted just about perfectly if it only pulls when moving. But that is me and my more modern preference to suits (narrower lapel, shorter length, etc...).

I like it when GQ does it because it can be taken as a guide. In the older thread, people were always asking what needed to be altered or what is necessary to change to make a better fitting suit/clothes and the before/after pics really helps in that regard. You can see how alteration make the clothes look better w/o changing the body type because some example does tend to show a model while those guys are just normal guys you see walking around.

Agreed overall. Like I said, the jackets aren't as bad but I'm not okay with the pants. I like as slim/fitted as possible but whether they're in motion or not, those two in particular are just too tight and GQ does it pretty frequently.

Hey_

Yeah grooming tips isn't really something I take too seriously from GQ, I just browse their recommended items so I know what to try out. I like looking through Details.coms health and fitness section better.
As for a print magazine by SE, I am not sure they can make much $$ from it. Magazines are a dying breed and their market would be much smaller than that or GQ, Esquire, Details, etc... Plus the magazines I want, I get for free like Maxim, Car&Driver, etc.. or pay like $3 a year for the GQ and Esquire. I think they are better off with a digital mag and get more ad sponsors, like their typical SE website, maybe just expand it.

I haven't read Esquire or Details in the longest.

Do they have models of color that aren't celebrities or athletes in their pages?

I agree though, print is dying. If SE do expand upon their brand, I'd hope they'd just expand on the internet.

Julius F. Wrek

They're definitely coming around, but just like you said, they're celebs or athletes. It can't be that hard to find a slim, African-American/Asian/Hispanic/Latino/Pacific Islander/Native-American model for regular shoots. I think that's the problem that some of us have.

Oh you meant regular people to shoot? Or just regular models?

I don't really see GQ doing much with regular patrons but in those before&after articles, they always try to include at least one or two minorities.

As for models, they usually have one or two as well. I remember seeing that dude that looks half asian/half black(?) in most of their pictorials. I think the same dude pretty much models everywhere too, like Macys, Bloomingdales, Saks, etc...

It could be better but I think it is headed there.

I mean, it's just a small sample and not that I disagree that it's focused towards white males but 2 out of the 5 regular dudes in the piece RFX quoted are African-American.

Hey_
I haven't read Esquire or Details in the longest.
Do they have models of color that aren't celebrities or athletes in their pages?
I agree though, print is dying. If SE do expand upon their brand, I'd hope they'd just expand on the internet.
Julius F. Wrek

I haven't read those mags either and I get Esquire monthly. I just browse their websites, I've gotten some good workout tips from Details so I check out the website once a month. Esquire, I pretty much just check out to read up on restaurants/bars and pics of women.

Oh you meant regular people to shoot? Or just regular models?

I don't really see GQ doing much with regular patrons but in those before&after articles, they always try to include at least one or two minorities.

As for models, they usually have one or two as well. I remember seeing that dude that looks half asian/half black(?) in most of their pictorials. I think the same dude pretty much models everywhere too, like Macys, Bloomingdales, Saks, etc...

It could be better but I think it is headed there.

I mean, it's just a small sample and not that I disagree that it's focused towards white males but 2 out of the 5 regular dudes in the piece RFX quoted are African-American.

You guys are right. It's definitely getting better. There's nothing wrong with some diversity in the mags.

I know exactly who you're talking about too RFX. That guy is everywhere. :lol:

Last edited:
I guess i might as well jump on the camo train too...
Yesterday's grocery run...
8112858942_c771cbe78b_b.jpg

The main pic has them sagging a bit lower than usual, thus the extra break.

Don't like camo but this fit.. :pimp:

dang

Haha I kinda felt the same way but yeah nice fit Eiddy, almost makes me wanna go cop a pair of camo pants now :lol:

Also.....does that River Island stuff fit like H&M size wise? I dunno how shipping to the US works but they had some pretty cool stuff on there for 25-40 USD when you convert it :nerd:

Last edited:
GQ aint the only magazine. Yall too casual with with style. MAke your own style, go to style shows.

There is always some africans in GQ mags and style mags. Why does it matter, if they had purple models, I'll still just being paying attention to the clothing.

There is always some africans in GQ mags and style mags. Why does it matter, if they had purple models, I'll still just being paying attention to the clothing.

Agreed overall. Like I said, the jackets aren't as bad but I'm not okay with the pants. I like as slim/fitted as possible but whether they're in motion or not, those two in particular are just too tight and GQ does it pretty frequently.

Those upgrades were pretty on point but I agree about the pants, part of it is I personally don't wear the high water style and I have ice hockey thighs so I can't get them alllll the way tapered like that :lol: but imo the pants are a little snug in some of em, but the overall style upgrade and getting jackets that are proper in the shoulders are great examples and really show how important fit is for all clothes, not even just suits :smokin

Back
Top Bottom