Dressing Better Vol 2.0

This isn't helping you case, as I said in previous post his pants are slim, look how much his thighs hugs him, that is GQ status right there. It isn't straight cut at all. And he actually looks the same height in these two pics, the skinny suit kind of elongates his body and flows smoothly to his slim pants, kind of like Jack Skellington in silhouette.
Again, I am not talking about thigh fit, we are talking knee down. That adds height AND volume.

These cats were GQ before GQ even came into play via Esquire magazine.

Designers and GQ imitate THEM.

Last edited:
Look at the bottom of the mans jacket, and then compare it to the flare of the pants leg, look at how the two blend,

_

I think that the proportions are perfect, making him seem taller than he actually may be.

I am not talking about the man's thighs, I am talking from knee down in both the pic that you posted, and the pic of JB, That's the flare I am speaking of. 

The waist to hip ratio of his jacket, matches his jeans from the knee down.

If they were tapered from the knee down, it'd make the jacket look too big.

That's why I said his proportions are perfect.

I am getting confused and you are criss-crossing topics. One moment it is about the flaring in the leg opening and the next it is about proportions and then being taller?

It isn't the flare that makes them look tall, it is the whole cut from the skinny upper of the pants/jeans to the bottom flared out. It creates a shape, an illusion that a person is taller. Actually, it is more the skinny upper of the pants, taper those pants and he would still look taller.

Also, there is a big difference between these two. One is cut boxy and square while one is skinny up top and flares in the bottom. I am pretty sure that if the guy from SF make his pants slim like that, he would look extra tall too.
LL
sammy-davis-jr.jpg

Proportion-wise, it still isn't consistent to me, the straight leg jeans just looks blah and square. Get a bit of taper and get rid of the slight flare and it'll look better. And as you said, the waist to hip ration of the jacket "matches" from the knee-down, again that is matching, not proportion. It doesn't really balance it out in my eye especially since the jacket flare is much more pronounce than the flare on the leg opening which was barely noticeable and chances are non-existent if he stood up straight and aren't moving.

Look at the bottom of the mans jacket, and then compare it to the flare of the pants leg, look at how the two blend,

_

I think that the proportions are perfect, making him seem taller than he actually may be.

Come one man, the flare on the jeans are ever so slight and again that is mainly due to the bent knees.

Jeans are straight cut all the way.

Last edited:
I am getting confused and you are criss-crossing topics. One moment it is about the flaring in the leg opening and the next it is about proportions and then being taller?
It isn't the flare that makes them look tall, it is the whole cut from the skinny upper of the pants/jeans to the bottom flared out. It creates a shape, an illusion that a person is taller. Actually, it is more the skinny upper of the pants, taper those pants and he would still look taller.
Also, there is a big difference between these two. One is cut boxy and square while one is skinny up top and flares in the bottom. I am pretty sure that if the guy from SF make his pants slim like that, he would look extra tall too.
sammy-davis-jr.jpg

Proportion-wise, it still isn't consistent to me, the straight leg jeans just looks blah and square. Get a bit of taper and get rid of the slight flare and it'll look better. And as you said, the waist to hip ration of the jacket "matches" from the knee-down, again that is matching, not proportion. It doesn't really balance it out in my eye especially since the jacket flare is much more pronounce than the flare on the leg opening which was barely noticeable and chances are non-existent if he stood up straight and aren't moving.
Nope, I've been talking about the same thing all along.

Proportions, are how the items match in fit, and how they enhance the look of the wearer. Matching in Jacket width at the waist and hip and then pant leg opening, creates a longer more taller, and fuller look, it's an illusion. This pic with Sammy, 

[img]http://feathersofinspiration.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/lm-sammy-davis-jr.jpg[/img]

simply makes him appear slimmer, not taller. But still, look at the waist of the jacket, which is Bolero in cut, then the slimness of the pants. 

They match in proportion, creating balance throughout the outfit. Top to bottom there is proportion. 

Come one man, the flare on the jeans are ever so slight and again that is mainly due to the bent knees.

Jeans are straight cut all the way.
Bent knees? Come on.

And the final pic he is wearing what appears to be Boots, Motorcycle.

That sort of boot, worn with that cut denim, allows the shoe to extend the length of the leg. It creates a drape like effect. 

You stopped your tracing at the pant leg, continue through the shoe.

The shoes are an extension of the pants leg, in both shots.

Last edited:
What? That last few posts made absolutely no sense to me. :lol:

Whatever though, you say it looks good the way it is, I say it is better with a taper on the pants.

End of the discussion.

Moving on...

I order shirts from them regularly and they always have 4 shirts for $199 and their sale shirts go as low as $35 (sometimes with an extra 10% off but that may have just been for the holidays). The shirts are durable for sure. I remember when I lived with a roommate and I put him on with CT that he would wash his shirts at home and put them in the dryer while I took mine to the dry cleaner and neither of us had a problem. It sounds as if you need to shirts sooner rather than later so the only thing to consider is that they are based in the UK but shipping isn't TOO bad (although I'm an instant gratification person so I prefer the quickest shipping possible).
I do agree with Wis that MTM is the way to go because as he stated you can customize the details to your liking. However, due to your time constraints, I think that CT is a suitable alternative.

Thanks for your help.. Looks like they are also US based with a brick and mortar in NYC..

Did you not realize http://www.ctshirts.com/ existed or is the UK online shop better?

I'll probably order some shirts this weekend, but in the near future I will go the MTM route as many of you guys recommended.

Last edited:
I think this is ace. The widest point on the lapel has to be around 4.5".

Last edited:
Picked up that Rag&Bone cardigan at Target today. I absolutely love it, definitely recommend it.

Quality is great, price was great, and considering that R&B cardigans go for 200+ I feel like I got a steal

Last edited:
There are plenty of off the rack slim dress shirts to check out.

A few here have been happy with Express and their pricing, they have a store in almost every mall so worth to check it out and try on a shirt or two.

I personally love express. doesnt get much love in this thread. been shopping their religiously since 07. Always doing great deals. Just now starting to grow out of it and pick up more J crew pieces.

I dont really mess with j.crew... their shirts fit me crappy...

banana republic and express shirts fit the best on me... and brooks brothers slim fit

I order shirts from them regularly and they always have 4 shirts for $199 and their sale shirts go as low as $35 (sometimes with an extra 10% off but that may have just been for the holidays). The shirts are durable for sure. I remember when I lived with a roommate and I put him on with CT that he would wash his shirts at home and put them in the dryer while I took mine to the dry cleaner and neither of us had a problem. It sounds as if you need to shirts sooner rather than later so the only thing to consider is that they are based in the UK but shipping isn't TOO bad (although I'm an instant gratification person so I prefer the quickest shipping possible).
I do agree with Wis that MTM is the way to go because as he stated you can customize the details to your liking. However, due to your time constraints, I think that CT is a suitable alternative.

Thanks for your help.. Looks like they are also US based with a brick and mortar in NYC..

Did you not realize http://www.ctshirts.com/ existed or is the UK online shop better?

I'll probably order some shirts this weekend, but in the near future I will go the MTM route as many of you guys recommended.

If I'm not mistaken, the US and UK website should have the same selection, simply different pricing units (dollars and pounds). There is a store in NYC (it's really nice, but I'm not sure where you are located) but all items still ship from the UK. Sorry if I made that unclear.

I think this is ace. The widest point on the lapel has to be around 4.5".

As you mentioned, Spoo's stuff is :wow: :wow: :pimp:. He gets A LOT of love on SF. But if those are 4.5", how wide are the lapels on Tom Ford suits and jackets? I've never taken the time to measure or look for measurements. I would have to say between 3.5-4", right? Would you ever wear a wider peak lapel Wis or do you not think it fits your figure?

What? That last few posts made absolutely no sense to me.
laugh.gif

Whatever though, you say it looks good the way it is, I say it is better with a taper on the pants.
End of the discussion.
Moving on...
That's because you don't understand how the shoes are an extension of the pants leg. The break of the jeans, fits the shoe, creating a longer line.

If you taper the pants, they no longer fit the shoes, which stops the line to the toe. The look is complete due the lines that are extended through the hip, making him look longer, taller.

So yeah, you can move on.

I love it when people think they know everything there is to know about something, when they obviously are just beginning to scratch the surface.

Anyone see the Band Collar Double Rider from TOJ? If I wasn't poor I'd grab this in a heartbeat

Last edited:
RFX I think you are being trolled :lol: No matter what dude says those jeans are :x
Right, and everyone should dress the way that YOU feel is hip, right?

[img]http://stars.topnews.in/sites/default/files/russell-simmons1_0.jpg[/img]

Russell Simmons disagrees with you too.
Too good for Foambs? :lol:
Yup. I am not a fan of big, bulky, awkward looking, tacky shoes like that. They are horrible shoes to ball in as well.

Hold up....wait a minute....are you trying to say that Russell's jeans with those shoes looks good? Are you even saying those jeans look good in general? I'm just trying to clarify.

Back
Top Bottom