Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I wanna start dressing better but I also still have a passion for sneakers. I feel like a lot of my outfits for "dressing better" go better with Clark DB than a pair of Kobe's. I'm torn DB fam, anybody ever feel like this?

I feel like this is a trap so I am going to walk away now while I still can.

It's not a trap.

Look at his waist. See how the taper from his waist to hip, matches that from his knee to ankle?

Look closely.

First of all, it doesn't taper from his waist to hip, if anything it tapers from his hips to his waist and that is mainly because of the belt but really you can't see that at all, that part is covered by the blazer and in the biker look it is angled that you really can barely tell. Second, if you actually look at his suit, it is properly tailored to his body, it has been taken in at the sides for sure while the jeans looks like a mess and just straight out MJ status. The blazer actually has a bit of an hourglass silhouette while the jeans are just straight down w/o any shape at all, that isn't exactly proportions. The top has a taper while the bottom is too wide, it's like an hourglass placed on a square pedestal.

Proportion-wise, the suit has to be slightly boxier/less taken in to work with a straight cut jeans.

The taper you speak of is mainly from how the body moves like the bend in the knees, that is deceiving but even then, it is barely noticeable. The jeans are cut the same straight from waist to ankle. If anything the movement gives the ankle a bit of a flair making the jeans look wider than it is. Being jeans and rigid also gives it a cardboard look, it just looks so flat and wide.

But hey looks are subjective and you think it looks good, then good for you. The jeans looks terrible to me even though his other fits w/o jeans looks perfectly fine to me.

Need Slim Fit Dress shirts for work.. what yall rockin' wit? Looking to spend around ~$60 per shirt.. Any recommendations?

Need Slim Fit Dress shirts for work.. what yall rockin' wit? Looking to spend around ~$60 per shirt.. Any recommendations?
I'd go made to measure. I've been pretty happy with MyTailor.com and their service. They have different tiers and for about $80 a shirt, you can get nice ones.

I'd go made to measure. I've been pretty happy with MyTailor.com and their service. They have different tiers and for about $80 a shirt, you can get nice ones.

Looked through the website, saw some nice pieces.. prices also seem reasonable.. but a 5-8 week wait is too long.. Looking for an immediate fix at the moment. But definitely a website for the future..

I wanna start dressing better but I also still have a passion for sneakers. I feel like a lot of my outfits for "dressing better" go better with Clark DB than a pair of Kobe's. I'm torn DB fam, anybody ever feel like this?

Just because you've decided to dress better doesn't mean you have to give up the kicks. Check the pics, there's J's, Flyknits, Roshes, Air Maxes, Wovens all over the place. I know I still love my sneakers. You can be fresh and still keep the kicks on your feet. It's just that some shoes look too busy for the outfit IMO.

There are plenty of off the rack slim dress shirts to check out.

H&M is a good place to start but quality matches the price. It is a good places to get plenty of basics though, their solid color dress shirt are $10-$15.

ZARA is a bit more expensive than H&M but quality is also a bit better.

Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit shirt is good choice and they go on sale often too.

A few here have been happy with Express and their pricing, they have a store in almost every mall so worth to check it out and try on a shirt or two.

The reason I suggested MTM is because you can make the shirt to your liking. For example: for me I use double barrel cuff, spread collar and add an inch to the body so the taper hits lower for a cleaner look. You can also request for 3 inch mother of pearl buttons. Standard is 2 or 2.5 iirc.

He prefers proportion over style, which is the big mistake that many of you make. If your legs are a bit thinner, you should not be wearing slim or skinny jeans with a muscular upper body. Some of the pics I see of cats doing the skinny thing, ruin many of the outfits due to lacking proper proportion.

Balance is key, if you truly want to Dress Better.
What?

No one here is wear skin tight jeans that hug the shape of your calves. Its not even about proportion, slim pants/jeans and a looser top is a style that a lot of guys pull off. It depends what you are wearing and what you like to wear. Skinny does not mean hugging the calves.

Why italicizing certain key words?
laugh.gif

First of all, it doesn't taper from his waist to hip, if anything it tapers from his hips to his waist and that is mainly because of the belt but really you can't see that at all, that part is covered by the blazer and in the biker look it is angled that you really can barely tell. Second, if you actually look at his suit, it is properly tailored to his body, it has been taken in at the sides for sure while the jeans looks like a mess and just straight out MJ status. The blazer actually has a bit of an hourglass silhouette while the jeans are just straight down w/o any shape at all, that isn't exactly proportions. The top has a taper while the bottom is too wide, it's like an hourglass placed on a square pedestal.
Proportion-wise, the suit has to be slightly boxier/less taken in to work with a straight cut jeans.
The taper you speak of is mainly from how the body moves like the bend in the knees, that is deceiving but even then, it is barely noticeable. The jeans are cut the same straight from waist to ankle. If anything the movement gives the ankle a bit of a flair making the jeans look wider than it is. Being jeans and rigid also gives it a cardboard look, it just looks so flat and wide.
But hey looks are subjective and you think it looks good, then good for you. The jeans looks terrible to me even though his other fits w/o jeans looks perfectly fine to me.
If you look at the waist of the sport jacket, then looking at the hip, it flares in the same fashion as the knee to ankle in the jeans.

The whole look makes the man appear taller.

If all were fully tapered, it'd make the man appear shorter.

But hey, you are correct, it is subjective. I think that he has gotten it right, due to his physique, MJ or no MJ.

Last edited:
What?

No one here is wear skin tight jeans that hug the shape of your calves. Its not even about proportion, slim pants/jeans and a looser top is a style that a lot of guys pull off. It depends what you are wearing and what you like to wear. Skinny does not mean hugging the calves.

Why italicizing certain key words?
laugh.gif
I italicize because I can, and I like it...and it is about proportion.

It you want to walk around looking like you have a big upper body, fat gut, then little skinny legs, then it's fine by me.

Stuff from Kent Wang came in today. Surprised that the cufflinks shipped as well. The site says they were on backorder

The polo is really nice, but I feel like I need to lose my little beer belly before I'm able to wear it. It fits perfect except for around the midsection where it's a bit too snug

Was going to post this but he beat me to it. Their slim and tailored (extra slim) shirts are top notch.

Have you guys ordered from their before? How is the quality of the shirts? Durable or flimsy?

I order shirts from them regularly and they always have 4 shirts for $199 and their sale shirts go as low as $35 (sometimes with an extra 10% off but that may have just been for the holidays). The shirts are durable for sure. I remember when I lived with a roommate and I put him on with CT that he would wash his shirts at home and put them in the dryer while I took mine to the dry cleaner and neither of us had a problem. It sounds as if you need to shirts sooner rather than later so the only thing to consider is that they are based in the UK but shipping isn't TOO bad (although I'm an instant gratification person so I prefer the quickest shipping possible).

I do agree with Wis that MTM is the way to go because as he stated you can customize the details to your liking. However, due to your time constraints, I think that CT is a suitable alternative.

If you look at the waist of the sport jacket, then looking at the hip, it flares in the same fashion as the knee to ankle in the jeans.

The whole look makes the man appear taller.

If all were fully tapered, it'd make the man appear shorter.

But hey, you are correct, it is subjective. I think that he has gotten it right, due to his physique, MJ or no MJ.

I think you are a bit confused, wider cut pants/jeans makes a man look shorter, not taller. Tapering or slimmer pants usually makes you look taller/have longer legs. This is one of the best tips for short men, tapering pants will not make you look shorter.

And flaring jacket and flaring leg opening as in bootcut or bell bottoms doesn't mean proportion, it just means matching. Proportions is being consistent from head to toe, not that you have a hourglass look up top and then straight and flat on your legs and then tiny hourglass look by the ankles. The flare on the jacket is much bigger than it is on the jeans, which is slight and only from the movement of the knees and not the cut of the jeans itself. And again, this is only the case with his jeans look, a rigid and more stiff just looks very cardboard-ish on him when it's cut wider.

Last edited:
I think you are a bit confused, wider cut pants/jeans makes a man look shorter, not taller. Tapering or slimmer pants usually makes you look taller/have longer legs. This is one of the best tips for short men, tapering pants will not make you look shorter.

And flaring jacket and flaring leg opening as in bootcut or bell bottoms doesn't mean proportion, it just means matching. Proportions is being consistent from head to toe, not that you have a hourglass look up top and then straight and flat on your legs and then tiny hourglass look by the ankles. The flare on the jacket is much bigger than it is on the jeans, which is slight and only from the movement of the knees and not the cut of the jeans itself. And again, this is only the case with his jeans look, a rigid and more stiff just looks very cardboard-ish on him when it's cut wider.
Those are simply sloppy fitting suits. If you want to see how a flare can add height to a short individual, here's The Godfather in his shrunken suit,

[img]http://www.articlesweb.org/blog/wp-content/gallery/james-brown/james-brown-15.jpg[/img]

Here's one with him wearing more of a flare in his pants leg....

[img]http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/39300421/James+Brown+JAMES5.jpg[/img]

While to two pics are not the same, you get the drift, at least, I hope.

James was 5"6

Last edited:
^

That was pretty cool. His "rich banker" outfit was my fav. Though I do think he could get away with slightly slimmer jeans. Some of his pants arent as wide as his jeans.
He prefers proportion over style, which is the big mistake that many of you make. If your legs are a bit thinner, you should not be wearing slim or skinny jeans with a muscular upper body. Some of the pics I see of cats doing the skinny thing, ruin many of the outfits due to lacking proper proportion.

Balance is key, if you truly want to Dress Better.

COSIGN.

Bro, those are different angles. If I shoot myself from the knee up I could look 6'6". :lol:
Shoot me 20 feet above ground, in certain angles I could easily look like a ****** even if I wore spandex.

And the second pic, the jeans look pretty slim, see how close those jeans are to his thighs? There are even pulling there, it isn't straight cut at all. That is like reverse taper, it becomes slimmer from bottom to the top while the jeans in discussion is just square and straight. Plus the flaring is from front to back instead of side to side so again it makes it look slimmer. it's also basic that shape of angles makes you look taller/slimmer. A triangle shape/silhouette makes you look taller than a square one.

I hope Nii doesn't me using him as an example. Nii is pretty proportionate in his suit, full bodie suit with very little taken in in the body and straight cut pants (might be slight taper). Then in jeans, it's tapered much heavier and it makes him look taller, his legs looks longer and he does look slimmer.

Last edited:

This isn't helping you case, as I said in previous post his pants are slim, look how much his thighs hugs him, that is GQ status right there. It isn't straight cut at all. And he actually looks the same height in these two pics, the skinny suit kind of elongates his body and flows smoothly to his slim pants, kind of like Jack Skellington in silhouette.

Last edited:
Bro, those are different angles. If I shoot myself from the knee up I could look 6'6".
laugh.gif

Shoot me 20 feet above ground, in certain angles I could easily look like a ****** even if I wore spandex.
And the second pic, the jeans look pretty slim, see how close those jeans are to his thighs? There are even pulling there, it isn't straight cut at all. That is like reverse taper, it becomes slimmer from bottom to the top while the jeans in discussion is just square and straight. Plus the flaring is from front to back instead of side to side so again it makes it look slimmer. it's also basic that shape of angles makes you look taller/slimmer. A triangle shape/silhouette makes you look taller than a square one.
I hope Nii doesn't me using him as an example. Nii is pretty proportionate in his suit, full bodie suit with very little taken in in the body and straight cut pants (might be slight taper). Then in jeans, it's tapered much heavier and it makes him look taller, his legs looks longer and he does look slimmer.
I am not talking about the man's thighs, I am talking from knee down in both the pic that you posted, and the pic of JB, That's the flare I am speaking of. 

The waist to hip ratio of his jacket, matches his jeans from the knee down.

If they were tapered from the knee down, it'd make the jacket look too big.

That's why I said his proportions are perfect.

Back
Top Bottom