Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Tried pulling these off casually today.

What's more versatile for a first pair of oxfords? dark brown or tan/walnut? I have nothing to rock with it yet but was thinking about buying those AE Players on sale at Nordstrom.

^^Looks good Wes, what kind of jeans are those and what'd you wear up top? I've seen monks worn sockless too

What's more versatile for a first pair of oxfords? dark brown or tan/walnut? I have nothing to rock with it yet but was thinking about buying those AE Players on sale at Nordstrom.
You can't go wrong with either. As long as your pants aren't the exact same shade as the shoes you should be good.

^^Looks good Wes, what kind of jeans are those and what'd you wear up top? I've seen monks worn sockless too

APC PS. and a CT shirt. Wasn't that great of a look because the shirt made me look bigger than I am which in turn made the top and bottom look disproportionate.

Tried pulling these off casually today.

ain't happening :lol:

and i'll go with dark brown on the oxfords.

had took 5 pair of suit pants to my tailor last week to get hemmed and tapered in the legs (all of my jackets were already tailored to my liking about a month or 2 ago) all of the pants are now slimmed down perfectly. 7 1/4 inch leg opening. i should be able to take more pics now that i have more suits to show lol. my summer rotation will include about 9 suits.

Last edited:
Mens warehouse fired their Founder George Zimmer smh, guess they are really trying to switch it up so they can compete with Suit Supply and the trendy spots selling suits cheap

Uncommon Threads

Would You Wear a Suit Made by Lasers?
http://propersuit.com/

“Nice suit.”

That’s high praise when you’re hanging out at Four Times Square, the headquarters of our parent company, Condé Nast, and the home of fashion magazines like Vogue, GQ, and Glamour. When someone at the Condé Nast building compliments your clothes, you’ve gotten over a pretty high bar.

The garment in question was made to measure for me by a Chicago company called Proper Suit, which is bringing a dash of technology to the tailoring world. It’s not the same as a truly bespoke suit, where a master tailor cuts a pattern to your measurements, and then tweaks it over multiple fittings. Still, the result of Proper Suit’s process fits me better than anything else I’ve ever worn, and costs little more than an off-the-rack number.

The process starts with an appointment with one of the company’s tailors (Proper currently services New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Washington DC, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Seattle, and Portland, Oregon). Over the course of an hour-long appointment, you try on various samples, and then the tailor starts to tweak the measurements of these standard patterns. You can work together to tweak what you’re looking for, whether it’s an aggressive, fashion-forward silhouette, or something a little more conservative and classic.

I tried to go for an updated classic look, nothing too crazy, but fitted. Then we got to pick fabrics for the suit itself, the lining, the edging on pockets, the thread and stitching, the buttons. In the hands of an amateur, it’s likely a recipe for tackiness, but Max, my tailor, helped guide me.

All of the measurements and specs then go to the company’s facility in China (the company’s founders, McGregor J. Madden and Richard Hall, met working in China, where they developed relationships with apparel factories). The fabric is cut using AutoCAD and a laser cutting system — once they have the pattern right, it’s easy to cut perfect suits for you each time. In about a month, you’ll have the suit.

There are lots of small details that really make the suit stand out for me. The waistband of the pants has a rubberized strip in it, to help keep your shirt tucked in. There’s a strip of fabric sewn around the inside bottom of each pant leg, which shields the main fabric from wear. There’s a special cell phone pocket sewn along a seam in the jacket, which keeps the phone from distorting the line of the coat.

The construction was excellent, both to my eye, and the eye of an independent tailor I asked to look at the suit. The fit was nearly perfect, although the cuffs were a hair long, and the jacket a touch large. After getting the suit, I talked to the Proper Suit team, and they tweaked my pattern, so the next suit should be right on.

All of this runs under $1,000 for standard fabrics, with more expensive fabric choices goosing the price up toward $2,000.

Madden and Hall aren’t stopping with suits; they’ve also launched a dress shirt service (called Hall & Madden) that delivers shirts made in the same factories as established fashion brands, at a rate of $150 for three shirts.

But really, while the quality to price ratio here is awesome, it’s compliments like those I got at work that will send me back to Proper Suit again soon.

WIRED Very high quality construction, including a fully canvassed jacket, at a very fair price. Smart detailing. All the fun of customization. CAD! And Lasers!

TIRED Until you get the pattern tweaked, the first suit might be a touch off. Limited cities list means many potential customers are out of luck.

A strip of fabric sewn around the inside bottom of each pant leg serves as a shield against wear.

They're both about the same, and as Wis said you can't go wrong with either.

I prefer walnut personally. :smile:

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a nice brown wingtip/oxford shoe for under $150? Don't know if I want to drop $200+ on some AE's yet since I won't be wearing them that much. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Uncommon Threads

“Nice suit.”

That’s high praise when you’re hanging out at Four Times Square, the headquarters of our parent company, Condé Nast, and the home of fashion magazines like Vogue, GQ, and Glamour. When someone at the Condé Nast building compliments your clothes, you’ve gotten over a pretty high bar.

The garment in question was made to measure for me by a Chicago company called Proper Suit, which is bringing a dash of technology to the tailoring world. It’s not the same as a truly bespoke suit, where a master tailor cuts a pattern to your measurements, and then tweaks it over multiple fittings. Still, the result of Proper Suit’s process fits me better than anything else I’ve ever worn, and costs little more than an off-the-rack number.

The process starts with an appointment with one of the company’s tailors (Proper currently services New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Washington DC, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Seattle, and Portland, Oregon). Over the course of an hour-long appointment, you try on various samples, and then the tailor starts to tweak the measurements of these standard patterns. You can work together to tweak what you’re looking for, whether it’s an aggressive, fashion-forward silhouette, or something a little more conservative and classic.

I tried to go for an updated classic look, nothing too crazy, but fitted. Then we got to pick fabrics for the suit itself, the lining, the edging on pockets, the thread and stitching, the buttons. In the hands of an amateur, it’s likely a recipe for tackiness, but Max, my tailor, helped guide me.

All of the measurements and specs then go to the company’s facility in China (the company’s founders, McGregor J. Madden and Richard Hall, met working in China, where they developed relationships with apparel factories). The fabric is cut using AutoCAD and a laser cutting system — once they have the pattern right, it’s easy to cut perfect suits for you each time. In about a month, you’ll have the suit.

There are lots of small details that really make the suit stand out for me. The waistband of the pants has a rubberized strip in it, to help keep your shirt tucked in. There’s a strip of fabric sewn around the inside bottom of each pant leg, which shields the main fabric from wear. There’s a special cell phone pocket sewn along a seam in the jacket, which keeps the phone from distorting the line of the coat.

The construction was excellent, both to my eye, and the eye of an independent tailor I asked to look at the suit. The fit was nearly perfect, although the cuffs were a hair long, and the jacket a touch large. After getting the suit, I talked to the Proper Suit team, and they tweaked my pattern, so the next suit should be right on.

All of this runs under $1,000 for standard fabrics, with more expensive fabric choices goosing the price up toward $2,000.

Madden and Hall aren’t stopping with suits; they’ve also launched a dress shirt service (called Hall & Madden) that delivers shirts made in the same factories as established fashion brands, at a rate of $150 for three shirts.

But really, while the quality to price ratio here is awesome, it’s compliments like those I got at work that will send me back to Proper Suit again soon.

WIRED Very high quality construction, including a fully canvassed jacket, at a very fair price. Smart detailing. All the fun of customization. CAD! And Lasers!

TIRED Until you get the pattern tweaked, the first suit might be a touch off. Limited cities list means many potential customers are out of luck.
[/CENTER]
Aren't most MTM services like this? I don't see what sets Proper apart aside from the fact that they're in multiple cities

What are your opinions on ventless jackets? I've heard that they're usually used with tuxedo jackets but what about just a sport coat?

Uncommon Threads

“Nice suit.”

[/CENTER]
Aren't most MTM services like this? I don't see what sets Proper apart aside from the fact that they're in multiple cities

The fabric is cut using AutoCAD and a laser cutting system

A strip of fabric sewn around the inside bottom of each pant leg serves as a shield against wear.

The price for MTM is in my opinion too high for MTM, especially with places like Indochino and Black Lapel offering MTM for a lot less and with SuitSupply offering some amazing options OTR. At this price I rather go to my Bespoke tailor.

Back
Top Bottom