Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Never spent more than $130 on a suit prior to tailoring. Seems like y'all get down with the ones I own :\

Only this next one will be around $500 and that's just because SS basically funded $400 for me. Oh and prob will go with TaT :D

Never spent more than $130 on a suit prior to tailoring. Seems like y'all get down with the ones I own :\

Only this next one will be around $500 and that's just because SS basically funded $400 for me. Oh and prob will go with TaT :D

Adrian, Indochino has the traveling tailor coming to NYC from July 12-28, just an FYI.

Just ordered 2 pairs of AE's from the tent sale for $450 shipped roughly. Great deal IMO because I was about to cave in and drop close to that on 1 pair of Ferragamo cap toes.

^sharp Strands.

Good luck w TaT. I see a lot of people love them. I met up Jason a couple years ago and had him measure me. Suit turned out to fit awful. Met back up w him the next time I was in LA to meet him at his Tailor's. Tailor did what he could. Looks better, but I've never worn it because its still way off. I'm sure Jason would have refunded the money had I asked but I damn near felt bad. Took the L.

:lol:

I said the $1000+ suits aren't really appropriate for this thread. You guys agree with me on this.
I said JC Penney suits are bad quality. You guys agree with me on this.
I said JC Penney suits generally have a bad fit to them. You guys agree with me on this.

Again, where is the disagreement here?

I wouldn't reccommend JC Penney suits because of bad quality and their ill-fitting suits. This makes me a snob? For not recommending bad quality and ill-fitting suits? :lol: Y'all serious?

Tell me, Serg. Did you end up altering that ill-fitting glen plaid suit from JC Penney? Or did you return it completely? I'm betting on the latter. Would alterations have made that suit fit perfectly, or close to it? At what cost?

*edit* adding more on JC Penney suits

They will be much more ill-fitting than say the the fast fashion brands like H&M, Zara, etc. JC Penney suits will have a much more boxier fit, but this can be fixed. Sleeves will be much more fuller. Same with the pants. Armholes would probably huge and low (which you can't fix). The biggest problem would be the fit and construction of the shoulders. There will most likely be more than substantial shoulder pads and will just be bigger in general.

If we're talking about quality, the cheap suits will probably be a polyester blend, which will develop a sheen after contact with say a chair. You'll have a shiny butt :lol:.. Fabric probably wouldn't drape well either.

I wouldn't want to spend $200 on alterations on a $100 JC Penney suit. Would you?

Last edited:
On the topic shoulders... shoulder divots piss me off.

Am I nitpicking when I say the suits of these suits don't fit correctly in the shoulders? A bunch of you guys said carlin's suits fits great or even perfect when it doesn't look like it all (especially when all we menswear enthusiasts harp about shoulder fitting). Look at how the shoulder pads protrude or stick out so much. I expect more from a MTM suit.

Here's one of Adrian's pictures where I think the shoulders fit right.

or the Burberry Brit leather jacket here

Last edited:
Black Lapel said the same about my shoulders, said I should use the alteration credit and get it fixed, not sure I will though, I will make adjustment for the next one. Hopefully you will post some of your outfits in the future so we can get inspiration from the expert

yeah you are nitpicking but you're not wrong either.
Sometimes you can't avoid it. I tried on two jackets. One in 36 and the other in 38. The former was too tight around the arms and the latter had shoulders that look like the pics you posted. There not football player pads or anything but still a bit too large for my frame.

Black Lapel said the same about my shoulders, said I should use the alteration credit and get it fixed, not sure I will though, I will make adjustment for the next one. Hopefully you will post some of your outfits in the future so we can get inspiration from the expert

I'm pretty much in a strict cotton shorts and t-shirts right now (90s where I am). I'm still losing weight (lost 60 in the past 15 months). wj4 can feel me on this. i think he was in a phase of just levis and a t-shirt while losing weight.

But I'll post a pic so that y'all can give me **** for it :lol:

Sometimes you can't avoid it. I tried on two jackets. One in 36 and the other in 38. The former was too tight around the arms and the latter had shoulders that look like the pics you posted. There not football player pads or anything but still a bit too large for my frame.

Yeah I know. and like RFX said shoulders usually aren't worth getting altered either, I don't even think my tailor will do it.

Has anyone heard of or tried Trumaker?

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/17/trumaker/

MTM shirts. An "outfitter" goes to you to measure you and you pick all the details of the shirt: slim/regular fit, collar type, pocket etc. Looks like the outfitters are only in SF and LA/OC at the moment. Interesting start-up and business model.

(sorry if posted already, haven't been in here for a while)

I had heard of Trumaker only because it's a VC investment - but I just joined w/ them, we'll see how it goes.

I'm pretty much in a strict cotton shorts and t-shirts right now (90s where I am). I'm still losing weight (lost 60 in the past 15 months). wj4 can feel me on this. i think he was in a phase of just levis and a t-shirt while losing weight.

But I'll post a pic so that y'all can give me **** for it :lol:
Yeah, man. Luckily it was in the colder months so I just wore white t shirts, hoodies and jeans. When the weight was lost my old clothes didn't fit anymore so I picked up a GQ magazine and rebuilt :lol: within the same week the dressing better thread was made and I took part in it ever since.

The shoulders are doable, trying to fix it is almost never worth it.

This makes or breaks my purchase. Most tailors can't do it. With that said no matter what you do to the rest of suit if the shoulders are off the whole suit looks like off.

My mom can do it with precision. She had three boys and my little bros got my hand me downs. I wore expensive suits a child and my mom would re-worked to fit them.

J.Press public summer sale starts today up to 40% off on select items with an additional 50$ off when you spend 250$,100$ off when you spend 500$,and 250$ off when you spend 1,000$

:lol:

I said the $1000+ suits aren't really appropriate for this thread. You guys agree with me on this.
I said JC Penney suits are bad quality. You guys agree with me on this.
I said JC Penney suits generally have a bad fit to them. You guys agree with me on this.

Again, where is the disagreement here?

I wouldn't reccommend JC Penney suits because of bad quality and their ill-fitting suits. This makes me a snob? For not recommending bad quality and ill-fitting suits? :lol: Y'all serious?

Tell me, Serg. Did you end up altering that ill-fitting glen plaid suit from JC Penney? Or did you return it completely? I'm betting on the latter. Would alterations have made that suit fit perfectly, or close to it? At what cost?

*edit* adding more on JC Penney suits

They will be much more ill-fitting than say the the fast fashion brands like H&M, Zara, etc. JC Penney suits will have a much more boxier fit, but this can be fixed. Sleeves will be much more fuller. Same with the pants. Armholes would probably huge and low (which you can't fix). The biggest problem would be the fit and construction of the shoulders. There will most likely be more than substantial shoulder pads and will just be bigger in general.

If we're talking about quality, the cheap suits will probably be a polyester blend, which will develop a sheen after contact with say a chair. You'll have a shiny butt :lol:.. Fabric probably wouldn't drape well either.

I wouldn't want to spend $200 on alterations on a $100 JC Penney suit. Would you?

I returned it completely for 2 reasons. One the gray was darker and so was the blue than what I expected and two since they didn't have a 44, I couldn't even see if that would fit better and possibly then get over the color. IF it had fit decently in the shoulders which it didn't, honestly the shoulders pertruded out about a good 2 inches I would have had altered in the waist. I looked like a football player. If the shoulders fit I think alterations would have made it close to perfect. Would I have spent money on getting shoulders altered? Nope, that's a waste of money.

Sorry steezy, this was the only pic that I liked from this morning. These damn selfies are gonna make me late one of these days!

Oh and my swapped La Matera belt came in today. Most likely will rock it for casual friday tomorrow :pimp:

Placed my first and most likely only order with TOJ today. Black leather MA-1. I figure if I ever want a rider or A2, there's always Schott and a ton of other brands, but in terms of leather MA-1's, I would be hard pressed to find another. Should end up looking like this:

Expensive day. Expensive month. I'm in the process of getting rid of a lot of my "stuff" and replacing them with high quality pieces that I can foresee lasting me a long, long time.

Back
Top Bottom