Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Today to go watch The Trip to Bountiful, ran into Kerri Washington as well...
http://dressingbetterforless.blogspot.com/2013/09/wdiwt9613.html

Took a shot with these slim straight khakis and boots from the other AE (American Eagle) during their 40% off sale. Boots are very comfortable and lightweight. Not bad for $60.

SN Souljah and limonyfresh - The fit is comparable to my tailor Alpha's. Ya'll should try them out.

My tan Saunders also came in yesterday. Thanks again Carlin!

Those Saunders look great....shoulda bought a pair.

Hey fellas, wanna help give me a boost on this?...just click on my pic and hit the "very" button, might need to make an account, all you need is an email tho...simple as 1-2-3

http://www.gq.com/style/blogs/the-g...e-guys-win-our-september-style-challenge.html

Done!

I agree with what you're saying. I feel that with some of J Crew's items, you're paying more for the name than the actual item itself i.e they're selling vans authentics with the rugged shoe lace for $60 . One can easily pick up a pair of vans authentic for $30-$40 and put some timberland laces or pick up a pair of boot laces for $2-3 and you got the same thing for a fraction of the price. . Some of their other stuff is good for the price though.

Last edited:
Y'all been going to any of these NYFW parties? I'm living vicariously through these bloggers and models I follow on instagram

I agree with what you're saying. I feel that with some of J Crew's items, you're paying more for the name than the actual item itself i.e they're selling vans authentics with the rugged shoe lace for $60 . One can easily pick up a pair of vans authentic for $30-$40 and put some timberland laces or pick up a pair of boot laces for $2-3 and you got the same thing for a fraction of the price. . Some of their other stuff is good for the price though.
You can score deals for sure, especially when they have their end of the season sale and the stackable discounts.

Been a while since I wrote something:

Goes for everything, yes Jcrew is overpriced and you are not really paying for quality...but to each it's own...can't really complaint about low quality overpriced clothing brands and at the same time drop 200$+ on a pair of foambs, specially nowadays, which have followed the same formula over the years, have gotten uglier, less quality and have gotten even more expensive...and that's not even talking resell....because if we go that route...I rather get raped by Jcrew prices than the prices some reseller comes up with on some ugly overhyped kicks.

Have 3 suits from Jcrew, all which I've bought with some sort of discount and have held up decent through many wears....have many shirts which to me get the job done, their jeans with the exception of the black ones have held up incredibly well, IMO worth the 100$ price tag for as many times as I've worn them....tees are tees, don't know what type of quality ya expecting, same goes for polos, catch a student discount with an extra discount code and you are paying H&m prices for their clothes....of course you start getting into their collaborative brands you jump into another price realm...but JCREW exclusive brand is really not as ridiculously priced as ya making it seem.

Honestly bro most of my wardrobe is jcrew and I don't feel bad at all bout it. It's the easiest transition for me and their clothes fit me well. I literally couldn't go a week at this poi t without wearing something jcrew related.

RE:
 "Al Audi View Post
Is it ok if I do my whole damn wardrobe J Crew an call it a day? I stopped in tonight. Well at least for now. I'm mot looking to be a fashionista. I just like clean clothing that fits me. Idc about logos or none of that these days."

Building a sound wardrobe doesnt come from a few trips to the mall. It takes years to develop a solid wardrobe. What you think is hot now, will probably not be hot once you figure out what your aesthetic is..

dont think going to jcrew, droppin 3-4k is going to make u "set"

for example you want chinos..
try on several..at least 5-10 brands, go to ur tailor, get measured, and see what looks best on u. Same for shirts, suits, trousers..etc

once you find a brand or brands that works for you, then you can start to build a foundation.

Some cats think they can just go to the mall and ball out and they are good...

I know a kid who got a new job out of college..high paying..got rid of all his urban gear, and spent 3,000 dollars at express in one afternoon..:x:x:x
bought like every color of those horrid extra slim shirts ..i wanted to smack dude.

Last edited:
Building a sound wardrobe doesnt come from a few trips to the mall. It takes years to develop a solid wardrobe. What you think is hot now, will probably not be hot once you figure out what your aesthetic is..

dont think going to jcrew, droppin 3-4k is going to make u "set"

for example you want chinos..
try on several..at least 5-10 brands, go to ur tailor, get measured, and see what looks best on u. Same for shirts, suits, trousers..etc

once you find a brand or brands that works for you, then you can start to build a foundation.

Some cats think they can just go to the mall and ball out and they are good...

I know a kid who got a new job out of college..high paying..got rid of all his urban gear, and spent 3,000 dollars at express in one afternoon..:x:x:x
bought like every color of those horrid extra slim shirts ..i wanted to smack dude.
I agree. It's best to take your time.

J. Crew was the go to brand since page 1 of the first thread. I did more or less what you described. I was lured into opening a J. Crew card and I went nuts. I got rid most of that stuff throughout the years. I rushed thru it and thought I would be "set" after the splurge. I was wrong :lol:

In express defense, those 1mx shirts are a good cheap fix for someone looking for a short term good fit wear.

Hey, what's wrong with the express slim shirts? I got a slim build so I don't mind the way they fit but I'm open to suggestions for some better shirts.

:nerd:

Took a shot with these slim straight khakis and boots from the other AE (American Eagle) during their 40% off sale. Boots are very comfortable and lightweight. Not bad for $60.

SN Souljah and limonyfresh - The fit is comparable to my tailor Alpha's. Ya'll should try them out.

My tan Saunders also came in yesterday. Thanks again Carlin!
can you post the side angle of these on feet? the ae boots?

I wana try out some boots and don't wanna spend too much, i think these will be good to check how i like them.

looking for a button down with small polka dots. would anyone happen to know where i can find something like that? looked in all my usual spots but to no avail. preferably white with black/navy spots, or vice versa.

Pair of Daltons came in that I ordered from the Shoebank. Im happy with them but damn they are really noisy when walking or even moving my feet. Anyone else experience this? Im guessing its just the unworn leather that is stiff and it should quiet down once they're worn a bit?

looking for a button down with small polka dots. would anyone happen to know where i can find something like that? looked in all my usual spots but to no avail. preferably white with black/navy spots, or vice versa.

Jcrew has exactly what you are looking for

Y'all been going to any of these NYFW parties? I'm living vicariously through these bloggers and models I follow on instagram

Going to this Jeremy Scott/A$AP Rocky event tonight, don't think it's a party party. Hopefully I get to check out some shows through work. I'm far down the "standby" list :lol: If there's a show our fashion directors can't go to, the tix are up for grabs.

Honestly bro most of my wardrobe is jcrew and I don't feel bad at all bout it. It's the easiest transition for me and their clothes fit me well. I literally couldn't go a week at this poi t without wearing something jcrew related.

lol cool.

thanks

That's why I keep saying J. Crew is creating its own niche space. It's blowing other brands like BR out of the water and appeal to younger dudes that may not dig Brooks Bros.

If you see their catalogs, they use young gents that are entrepreneurs, film makers, accountants, etc to model their suits, basically young professionals.

Nothing is wrong at all. If you stay laced in J. Crew 24/7 then majority of the girls will still think you're super dapper. There's a J. Crew men store around me and I've seen dudes dropped several racks at once, basically redoing their wardrobe. They sell everything from suits to tux to workwear and basic essentials. More than enough to satisfy the average Joe.

Just make sure you at least get a student discount even if you're not a student anymore. Just show your id.

J. Crew would fit your style and build nicely, lurkin.

I use to like BR but I dunno the clothes look bland compared to J Crew def. All I have from BR right now is a few V neck Ts. Between throwing out and donating, I am starting from scratch almost.

Had no clue about the student thing, just show them an old ID an Im good?

I know it takes time to build a wardrobe but again, I admit..............Im not on the same level as you guys here prob dont even need as much either, itll def take some time but for now Ill start here. Ive gone through a lot of things in the past 2 years an clothing/shoes have been the bottom of priority lol Im kinda in a jam now. I need everything from shoes/sneakers to outerwear asap now. Its bad when even a simple trip Im like..............."wtf, I have NOTHING to wear?!?" yea its that bad. Yesterday I got lucky I found a crispy black V neck, some old dark grey AG chinos I bought literally like 2 years ago, basic as you can get but it was better than dri fit nike pants, I got that all day.

anyways thanks for the help guys, ill see what I can do an ask for pointers when I post something up. my feelings dont get hurt either I like honesty

Last edited:
That's why I keep saying J. Crew is creating its own niche space. It's blowing other brands like BR out of the water and appeal to younger dudes that may not dig Brooks Bros.

If you see their catalogs, they use young gents that are entrepreneurs, film makers, accountants, etc to model their suits, basically young professionals.

Nothing is wrong at all. If you stay laced in J. Crew 24/7 then majority of the girls will still think you're super dapper. There's a J. Crew men store around me and I've seen dudes dropped several racks at once, basically redoing their wardrobe. They sell everything from suits to tux to workwear and basic essentials. More than enough to satisfy the average Joe.

Just make sure you at least get a student discount even if you're not a student anymore. Just show your id.

J. Crew would fit your style and build nicely, lurkin.

I use to like BR but I dunno the clothes look bland compared to J Crew def. All I have from BR right now is a few V neck Ts. Between throwing out and donating, I am starting from scratch almost.

Had no clue about the student thing, just show them an old ID an Im good?

I know it takes time to build a wardrobe but again, I admit..............Im not on the same level as you guys here prob dont even need as much either, itll def take some time but for now Ill start here. Ive gone through a lot of things in the past 2 years an clothing/shoes have been the bottom of priority lol Im kinda in a jam now. I need everything from shoes/sneakers to outerwear asap now. Its bad when even a simple trip Im like..............."wtf, I have NOTHING to wear?!?" yea its that bad. Yesterday I got lucky I found a crispy black V neck, some old dark grey AG chinos I bought literally like 2 years ago, basic as you can get but it was better than dri fit nike pants, I got that all day.

anyways thanks for the help guys, ill see what I can do an ask for pointers when I post something up. my feelings dont get hurt either I like honesty

If money's an issue, I'd wait til what you like goes on sale and then they offer 30% off sale items, which is frequent enough. Also, if you've got certain items in mind you can look around for alternatives. It might sound corny but even make a list of the essentials you "need" right away.

Was it you a couple pages ago that was talking about a lot of items not fitting well because of your build? If so, it'd probably be best to buy ones that have a color or pattern that you like and are a size that works in terms of what area doesn't usually fit and take it to a tailor to see what they can do. If it's a dress shirt, you've gotta make sure the neck fits obviously. Take the time to try things on in-store but you can usually find better deals online. If you go that route, make sure they offer free or easy returns. There might be a lot of trial & error.

Keep posting, let us know how things are going with your progress and good luck.

Last edited:

I put this up earlier but I still cannot find a shirt in this shade of green any help would be appreciated
Perhaps H&M?
I know jcrew had one last f/w. Perhaps they'll come up with another one soon
If you have a J crew outlet/factory store by you check there.  I used to see one there all the time but that was in the spring (so it was prob a shirt from last year.)

Also check Banana Republic and Brooks Brothers.  In their stores this Spring they both had solid color shirts in shades of dark green.Maybe not the exact same as that one (J Crew's was) but worth looking.

Last edited:
I know its not dressing better related and I know a lot of you cats out there will destroy mine in comparison. But yesterday I had the idea to take some shots of whatever sneakers I've got lying around still. Wanted to let y'all know that no matter how I dress now, I'll never forget my roots. There are just some things, I could never say goodbye to..

Pair that started it all for me:

Favorite SBs:

Still would like a couple more Jays so maybe once my bread is more correct, I'll buy some. However, this is my favorite pair that I own:

Love me some barkley's. The Air Max 2 CB 94 opened my eyes to kicks then it progressed from there:

Grails:

Fin:

Back
Top Bottom