DUNE (new film incoming, love the book, also loved the multiple Lynch versions)

Man this movie was fire to me. Gonna spark one, break out the anejo on the big ice and watch again tonight.

was absolute flames to me. And I’m gonna get some (legal) edibles and watch on HBO max for my 2nd viewing.

I share the sentiment of a few in here, in that you really really need to see this in theaters. Specifically imax. The sounds and visuals make it so much more of a spectacle. Really can only get an experience like this once ever 4 or 5 years, so why not pony up and make it happen?

Momoa had excellent acting skills in this. Must have picked up some lessons or gotten more comfortable after being the lead in aqua man. Much more than a buff action star in this, son had CHARISMA.

Wanted more zendaya, but her time to shine might be in the (possible) sequels. All the acting performances were top notch to be honest.

Only have 1 minor complaint about the film: It needs to be rated R. It’s war, people get murdered, throats get slashed, I’m gonna need to see some actual blood for the stakes to really set in.

The sandworms
A4C8F6FC-4720-40B1-B5AE-F941C088B3FA.gif

The problem with that is he amount of time its taking to get there.

This part feels like nothing but your typical white savior story.

which ain’t exactly their fault, since people have stolen a shh ton from the source martial apparently

but we’re here now and all that is out there and extremely popular

maybe they should have realize what it was an have a non white lead

which ain’t exactly their fault, since people have stolen a shh ton from the source martial apparently

but we’re here now and all that is out there and extremely popular

maybe they should have realize what it was an have a non white lead
I mean Dune didn't come up with the white savior story so it doesn't matter. They didn't come up with savior stories in general so it still would've seemed like that.

I don't think it matters what others have stolen from the source material. It simply is what it is. Putting in a frail Asian kid or frail black kid as a lead wouldn't have made me feel differently about this heir with premonition powers.

The problem with that is the amount of time its taking to get there.

This part feels like nothing but your typical white savior story.

Yah it's tough
but ultimately trying to squeeze it into one movie would have been a worse option imo.
David Lynch's dune suffered because of it.

That's why I'm praying we get a sequel,
it would suck if people are left with the impression it's just a simple white savoir story when it's literally the opposite.

I mean Dune didn't come up with the white savior story so it doesn't matter. They didn't come up with savior stories in general so it still would've seemed like that.

I don't think it matters what others have stolen from the source material. It simply is what it is. Putting in a frail Asian kid or frail black kid as a lead wouldn't have made me feel differently about this heir with premonition powers.

really think the only thing the could have really done is go with a series.. which that probably should have done and then you go deeper into the various parties

The only reason the fremen believe paul is the messiah is because the bene gesserit manipulated them over centuries to believe he's the messiah.

at the end of his hero's journey he defeats the harkkonen, becomes emperor ect, but he essentially loses his humanity in the process,

and a religious jihad is unleashed in his name resulting in the deaths of billions of innocent people.
Damn that’s a great twist, I gotta pick up the book now

Watched this with zero knowledge of the book.
Enjoyed it alot.
Solid film. Absolutely would see a sequel.

Also idk if it was just my theatre but some of the scenes were dark as hell

Thought it was dope, especially how it was shot.
Score was.....interesting, some of it I liked, other parts sounded horrible.
Actual bagpipes being there threw me off, especially because I was pretty blown.
Mixed on Chalamet, sometimes he came off corny to me when he didn't have to be.
I liked him earlier in the film than I did later on.
Bautista was acting like the Drax we deserved.
Thought Momoa would be overkill but I really liked his Duncan.
Movie definitely had that ensemble feel, feel like everyone got a "moment"

This was like the most expensive IMAX teaser/prelude ever for the next film.
Really have no idea why they'd drop all this money on a setup
without greenlighting the other/more interesting parts.
Barely scratched the surface.
They even lock down all the actors for if/when they greenlight it?

Last edited:
Thought it was dope, especially how it was shot.
Score was.....interesting, some of it I liked, other parts sounded horrible.
Actual bagpipes being there threw me off, especially because I was pretty blown.
Bautista was acting like the Drax we deserved.
Thought Momoa would be overkill but I really liked his Duncan.
Movie definitely had that ensemble feel, feel like everyone got a "moment"

This was like the most expensive IMAX teaser/prelude ever for the next film.
Really have no idea why they'd drop all this money on a setup
without greenlighting the other/more interesting parts.
Barely scratched the surface.
They even lock down all the actors for if/when they greenlight it?
I think a good deal of this was shot before the pandemic so I think the money was already committed.

I think the way this was pitched they thought this would be well recieved and do huge numbers to the point it'd pay for the sequel soon coming itself.

They say some announcement of two sequels is coming though.

pretty much spot on for me. hope he’s not awkward in his scenes with zenadaya. i’m still scarred from hayden/anakin potrayal. he wasn’t horrible for sure, i think he was outshined by the others. let’s see in part 2 (i guarantee there will be the sequel).

Read Villenueve wanted to shoot part 1 and part 2 back to back but the studio wanted to see how part 1 did. I think there's 6 books but doubt we'll get to the end of the story in this franchise, would be over 10 movies.

Read Villenueve wanted to shoot part 1 and part 2 back to back but the studio wanted to see how part 1 did. I think there's 6 books but doubt we'll get to the end of the story in this franchise, would be over 10 movies.
I loved the ambition of that LOTR trilogy, but they barely greenlit this one unfortunately

Saw it in imax. Movie was great and all but it was impossible to understand the dialogue in a few scenes.

i had to rewatch it at home with subtitles because i cant understand some dialogue especially when the mom (ferguson) talks and when they say things in different languages

Sounds like a Harry Potter type franchise. Thing is its not gonna make that Potter money.

I think the first Dune novel (which this movie is based of) is fine. The sequels really get trippy.

Back
Top Bottom