DUNE (new film incoming, love the book, also loved the multiple Lynch versions)

Someone needs to make a vid of the original movie and this new one playing side by side.

Haven't been to IMAX in a minute and forgot how good the experience was. Watching previews and was like this is ok, then the screen widened to like the whole wall and the sound started vibrating the seats, I was like damn.

My feelings on this really depends heavily on the 2nd film, if there is one

while I enjoyed the film and loved the visuals.. that ending wasn’t strong enough to be a breaking point for what’s going be a year or 2 until the 2nd film, if we get that

like I get this was the whole hero’s journey thing and the character isn’t supposed to be the main lead.. but the ending would have been solid for like episode 2 IF this was an hbo series and not a film

best thing i could compare the ending to is the kids getting their direwolves in game of thrones.. the other epic movies this will get compared too had bookend moments to end their films

take Star Wars, beyond obi-wans death/sacrifice you had them blowing up the damn Death Star

really feel like this would have been better served as a HBO series and then you’re fleshing out the world even more and the deaths hit a lot harder and it’s those that carry it because you don’t need huge action.. think Ned’s death

but since this is a movie, you need this battles to feel more epic AND then that last fight to feel alot bigger than it was

Movie was amazing!! Visuals and score was great amazing as well but what drew me in more was the characters and the world. Now I understand what they meant by “he who controls the spice, controls the universe.”

My favorite scenes gotta be…

When Duke Leto bites into the fake tooth and breathes out the poison which almost killed the Barron :wow:
Then, when Paul was in the tent-ish with his Mom and telling her of the vision he is seeing while Hans Zimmer score was in the background! Bruhhh that ish was hittin!!

I really hope we get a Part 2 because I really wanna see them finish it! Fingers crossed.

Nice set up. Went in, completely blind. But I’m digging the story arc, and after doing some more reading….rocking with the premise and visuals.

Ending dragged tho. Excited for part 2

Oh man Villeneuve definitely tried to make it better and put his style on it but I am almost immediately reminded why I didn't care for the OG Dune, especially the books.

A lot of what you guys said was pretty much it. Dope visuals, solid acting but mostly a bunch of focus on visuals. Slow scenes but the pacing kept moving. Story took the time to establish Paul's relationships with his mother, father, Aquaman, Cable, and explore his powers.

Interesting approach the way the movie just drops you in to the story. The explanation of spice and it's use for this empire really isn't enough for this brewing conflict between these two families under this shook emperor to be fully grasped I think. I'm not sure this is kind to anyone who didn't watch the OG. I see how this would've worked better as a series.

The overall look of this reminded me of the recent Alien movies. Also got the feel of the Dothraki from GoT when anybody spoke a native tongue. Maybe it was all that sand.

The ****ing bagpipes were super annoying.

The white savior elements still stick out like a sore thumb. Timmy boy as Paul (just like Kyle to be fair) just doesn't look like he can be a badass warrior in the future the way Aquaman and Cable showed off.

Its funny to me who and how many ppl ended up dying by the end of this.

The white savior elements still stick out like a sore thumb. Timmy boy as Paul (just like Kyle to be fair) just doesn't look like he can be a badass warrior in the future the way Aquaman and Cable showed off.

Its funny to me who and how many ppl ended up dying by the end of this.
The elements are there because the point of the Dune story is to subvert the "white savoir" cliche

The elements are there because the point of the Dune story is to subvert the "white savoir" cliche

maybe put it in a spoiler, but how does it subvert it?

i get other entities have stole a ton from it, but I didn’t read the books or anything or even watch the OG movie or the miniseries or whatever the other thing was with professor X 2.0

maybe put it in a spoiler, but how does it subvert it?

i get other entities have stole a ton from it, but I didn’t read the books or anything or even watch the OG movie or the miniseries or whatever the other thing was with professor X 2.0

Anything I say will spoil it, but the entire theme of the Dune saga is you shouldn't trust charasmatic Messiah's.

“I wrote the Dune series because I had this idea that charismatic leaders ought to come with a warning label on their forehead: May be dangerous to your health."

Frank Herbert

They say it early in the movie, the only reason the fremen think Paul is a messiah is due to manipulation by the the Bene Gesserit.

Anything I say will spoil it, but the entire theme of the Dune saga is you shouldn't trust charasmatic Messiah's.

don’t care about spoilers, but saying for those who do you could respond in a spoiler to better explain

don’t care about spoilers, but saying for those who do you could respond in a spoiler to better explain

The only reason the fremen believe paul is the messiah is because the bene gesserit manipulated them over centuries to believe he's the messiah.

at the end of his hero's journey he defeats the harkkonen, becomes emperor ect, but he essentially loses his humanity in the process,

and a religious jihad is unleashed in his name resulting in the deaths of billions of innocent people.

Back
Top Bottom