Earth has a twin.

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Didn't Stephen Hawking say that encountering life on other planets is a turrable idea? I think we should listen to him.
Let's send him. He can't fight it.

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Didn't Stephen Hawking say that encountering life on other planets is a turrable idea? I think we should listen to him.
Let's send him. He can't fight it.

ohwell.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
hella handsome wrote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I'd say let's visit, but then we would find something of theirs that we want and ultimately ruin another civilization.
That intergalactic AIDS ain't no joke. 
And how would this planet work exactly? There is no night? So the planet never rotates eh? So wouldn't it need more than 1 sun? Or does this planets Sunlight reflect off another things surrounding it? 

I don't understand because of our obvious source of light and how we obtain it here. The earth rotates, so we receive light at different times.. But how does this work?

It's definitely interesting, but am I understanding the article correctly? 

No one answered this question in four pages? (mentioned in 1st)

The article mentioned the orbit of the planet being like our moon. Since the amount of time it takes for the moon to rotate is the exact amount of time it takes to circle the earth, you end up seeing just one side of the moon.

Well its easier this way. take a ball and put it on the ground next to a reference object (say, a quarter or a baseball). Point the logo side of the basketball towards the reference object and move the ball in a circle around the object (don't roll it
roll.gif
) if you dont rotate the ball the side opposite the logo will eventually face the reference object. Now take the ball and move it around the reference object while always keeping the logo side of the ball pointed towards the reference object. You're rotating it. That's what that planet is doing around its sun and what the moon does around us.

That would mean perpetual night on one side of the planet. Depending on what angle axis the planet is tilted on it may still have seasons despite it's tidal locked orbit.

Someone let me know if I'm wrong please, I barely remembered the class where I learned this stuff

ohwell.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
hella handsome wrote:

I'd say let's visit, but then we would find something of theirs that we want and ultimately ruin another civilization.
And how would this planet work exactly? There is no night? So the planet never rotates eh? So wouldn't it need more than 1 sun? Or does this planets Sunlight reflect off another things surrounding it? 

I don't understand because of our obvious source of light and how we obtain it here. The earth rotates, so we receive light at different times.. But how does this work?

The article mentioned the orbit of the planet being like our moon. Since the amount of time it takes for the moon to rotate is the exact amount of time it takes to circle the earth, you end up seeing just one side of the moon.

Well its easier this way. take a ball and put it on the ground next to a reference object (say, a quarter or a baseball). Point the logo side of the basketball towards the reference object and move the ball in a circle around the object (don't roll it
roll.gif
) if you dont rotate the ball the side opposite the logo will eventually face the reference object. Now take the ball and move it around the reference object while always keeping the logo side of the ball pointed towards the reference object. You're rotating it. That's what that planet is doing around its sun and what the moon does around us.

That would mean perpetual night on one side of the planet. Depending on what angle axis the planet is tilted on it may still have seasons despite it's tidal locked orbit.

Someone let me know if I'm wrong please, I barely remembered the class where I learned this stuff

Has anybody ever wondered what Stephen hawking does on a normal day? I always think about that in class....Like "What is Stephen Hawking doing right now..."

Has anybody ever wondered what Stephen hawking does on a normal day? I always think about that in class....Like "What is Stephen Hawking doing right now..."

Originally Posted by Je Ne Sais Quoi

Imagine if there is intelligent life over there looking right back at us, but closer.
Probably writing how our planet is just a bunch of hairless monkeys running around thinking that they doing it.

Whats crazy is that unless these guys are able to go the speed of light (or defy physics as we know it and exceed the speed of light), but the time intelligent being reach us....we may be FAR more advanced then what they saw on their home planet telescopes.

Building off that point, we may have also killed each other off with our technology before they reach us as well.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Je Ne Sais Quoi

Imagine if there is intelligent life over there looking right back at us, but closer.
Probably writing how our planet is just a bunch of hairless monkeys running around thinking that they doing it.

Whats crazy is that unless these guys are able to go the speed of light (or defy physics as we know it and exceed the speed of light), but the time intelligent being reach us....we may be FAR more advanced then what they saw on their home planet telescopes.

Building off that point, we may have also killed each other off with our technology before they reach us as well.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by J de PHX

It's over 100 trillion miles away though. Won't it be thousands of years before we even get near there?
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

Things like this make me want to live for a long time
word how can they know so much about a planet so far away

Originally Posted by J de PHX

It's over 100 trillion miles away though. Won't it be thousands of years before we even get near there?
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

Things like this make me want to live for a long time
word how can they know so much about a planet so far away

I think they measure how much light is bent around distant objects then calculate how much gravity would distort light at that distance then find the mass that way

I think they measure how much light is bent around distant objects then calculate how much gravity would distort light at that distance then find the mass that way

Originally Posted by BAMFA

Originally Posted by hella handsome

roll.gif

*Scratches chin* Hmm... I think I have a better understanding of it now.

roll.gif

Even if we could reach the planet, we couldn't just hop in there. Humans have developed immunity to bacteria/diseases over thousands of years, but thats only on earth...

Even if we could reach the planet, we couldn't just hop in there. Humans have developed immunity to bacteria/diseases over thousands of years, but thats only on earth...

roll.gif

My _ went ham on that logic
pimp.gif

roll.gif

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by RoOk

roll.gif

pimp.gif
Word 
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom