Earth has a twin.

Originally Posted by RoOk

Originally Posted by hella handsome

Originally Posted by BAMFA

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I'd say let's visit, but then we would find something of theirs that we want and ultimately ruin another civilization.
That intergalactic AIDS ain't no joke. 
And how would this planet work exactly? There is no night? So the planet never rotates eh? So wouldn't it need more than 1 sun? Or does this planets Sunlight reflect off another things surrounding it? 

I don't understand because of our obvious source of light and how we obtain it here. The earth rotates, so we receive light at different times.. But how does this work?

It's definitely interesting, but am I understanding the article correctly? 

No one answered this question in four pages? (mentioned in 1st)

The article mentioned the orbit of the planet being like our moon. Since the amount of time it takes for the moon to rotate is the exact amount of time it takes to circle the earth, you end up seeing just one side of the moon.

Well its easier this way. take a ball and put it on the ground next to a reference object (say, a quarter or a baseball). Point the logo side of the basketball towards the reference object and move the ball in a circle around the object (don't roll it
roll.gif
) if you dont rotate the ball the side opposite the logo will eventually face the reference object. Now take the ball and move it around the reference object while always keeping the logo side of the ball pointed towards the reference object. You're rotating it. That's what that planet is doing around its sun and what the moon does around us.

That would mean perpetual night on one side of the planet. Depending on what angle axis the planet is tilted on it may still have seasons despite it's tidal locked orbit.

Someone let me know if I'm wrong please, I barely remembered the class where I learned this stuff

*Scratches chin* Hmm... I think I have a better understanding of it now.
My _ went ham on that logic
pimp.gif
Word 
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Adrian1221

NT summit?
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

---------------

This is crazy... for all we kno there can be a %##%$%%@ of planets... there could be dogs who own humans for all we know... these people might be able to jump 30 ft high... they can probably fly.

Originally Posted by Adrian1221

NT summit?
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

---------------

This is crazy... for all we kno there can be a %##%$%%@ of planets... there could be dogs who own humans for all we know... these people might be able to jump 30 ft high... they can probably fly.

Originally Posted by Dynamics82

Originally Posted by J de PHX

It's over 100 trillion miles away though. Won't it be thousands of years before we even get near there?
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

Things like this make me want to live for a long time
word how can they know so much about a planet so far away
By gathering light emitted from the planet, scientists can study its spectrum in order to see what wavelengths are present and thus discern which elements are there.  From the study of a light's spectrum you can know a lot about pretty much anything in space.  Everything we know of in space comes from our study of light spectra because things are so vastly distant from one another that securing physical samples for experimentation is, unfortunately, out of the question.  Of course the only object in space that is close enough to produce physical samples for experimentation would be from the moon.

Originally Posted by Dynamics82

Originally Posted by J de PHX

It's over 100 trillion miles away though. Won't it be thousands of years before we even get near there?
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

Things like this make me want to live for a long time
word how can they know so much about a planet so far away
By gathering light emitted from the planet, scientists can study its spectrum in order to see what wavelengths are present and thus discern which elements are there.  From the study of a light's spectrum you can know a lot about pretty much anything in space.  Everything we know of in space comes from our study of light spectra because things are so vastly distant from one another that securing physical samples for experimentation is, unfortunately, out of the question.  Of course the only object in space that is close enough to produce physical samples for experimentation would be from the moon.

I hope it would be un-inhabital for us to be able to live there if at all visit.

The universe doesn't need anymore chaos and/or corruption.

Can u imagine what the plant & animal life would be like on there?

The drugs that would put u outta ur mind or cure a plethora of diseases we have.

It would be dope to go to another planet that was just a utopia.

So many questions to be answered.

I hope it would be un-inhabital for us to be able to live there if at all visit.

The universe doesn't need anymore chaos and/or corruption.

Can u imagine what the plant & animal life would be like on there?

The drugs that would put u outta ur mind or cure a plethora of diseases we have.

It would be dope to go to another planet that was just a utopia.

So many questions to be answered.

Originally Posted by SiMPLYDiMPLY

its kind of crazy to think about. life is seriously, all about location. everything about the way we are is a result of our location. so it's kind of funny to me for people to assume that development and evolution is uniform across the universe...(nothings gonna change my worlllldddd lol).. just as evolution across the world isn't necessarily uniform, and we are on the same planet. so how can one say that it (life in other galaxies) requires the same things as we require? (light, water, co2, o2)

the conditions that we exist in (our earth) will probably never be recreated precisely 100%. even though this planet G bears a lot of similarities, the conditions are not 100% the same. perhaps the varying percentage made all the difference, and developed in a completely different way, with different chemicals and necessities for life?

the key is evolution...

i dont know much about chemical properties in other galaxies and i'm sure there's an answer to my queries but i'm just thinking. hm.
I've never really thought about this point.  I've always bought into the theory that life can only exist with water and a sun being the proper distance providing just the right amount of light and with similar conditions to what we currently have on our planet.  Through evolution over billions of light years, one would think that it is possible for life to form on a planet even though its conditions are different from ours; such as gaseous planets being able to sustain some sort of life form.  What if water and light isn't really needed for life, it's just something we've come to accept because we know nothing else and haven't found anything to disprove that theory.  However, I guess we see it as more probable that a planet such as this one that was found to actually have life since it's so similar.  
It totally blows my mind to think that we could discovery another planet that has sustained intelligent life and for us to learn what they've learned, see how they evolved over time, see how they educated themselves, developed their own form of communication, their own ideals of what the rest of the universe holds, developed technology as they evolved, their own forms of religion, etc.  I mean, life can't really repeat itself in the same exact fashion every time I don't think, so one would have to believe that intelligent life on another planet would evolve differently.  Then throw in the fact that one side gets the sun the whole time and one side gets darkness the whole time.  Would life be segregated?  If they were, how would they perceive us since we live in both day and night?  Would it be on some vampire steez on that planet; day walkers or something like that?  Most of this is beyond my comprehension sometimes, but if there ever comes a day when our world comes face to face with other intelligent life, I don't even know how either side would react.         

Originally Posted by SiMPLYDiMPLY

its kind of crazy to think about. life is seriously, all about location. everything about the way we are is a result of our location. so it's kind of funny to me for people to assume that development and evolution is uniform across the universe...(nothings gonna change my worlllldddd lol).. just as evolution across the world isn't necessarily uniform, and we are on the same planet. so how can one say that it (life in other galaxies) requires the same things as we require? (light, water, co2, o2)

the conditions that we exist in (our earth) will probably never be recreated precisely 100%. even though this planet G bears a lot of similarities, the conditions are not 100% the same. perhaps the varying percentage made all the difference, and developed in a completely different way, with different chemicals and necessities for life?

the key is evolution...

i dont know much about chemical properties in other galaxies and i'm sure there's an answer to my queries but i'm just thinking. hm.
I've never really thought about this point.  I've always bought into the theory that life can only exist with water and a sun being the proper distance providing just the right amount of light and with similar conditions to what we currently have on our planet.  Through evolution over billions of light years, one would think that it is possible for life to form on a planet even though its conditions are different from ours; such as gaseous planets being able to sustain some sort of life form.  What if water and light isn't really needed for life, it's just something we've come to accept because we know nothing else and haven't found anything to disprove that theory.  However, I guess we see it as more probable that a planet such as this one that was found to actually have life since it's so similar.  
It totally blows my mind to think that we could discovery another planet that has sustained intelligent life and for us to learn what they've learned, see how they evolved over time, see how they educated themselves, developed their own form of communication, their own ideals of what the rest of the universe holds, developed technology as they evolved, their own forms of religion, etc.  I mean, life can't really repeat itself in the same exact fashion every time I don't think, so one would have to believe that intelligent life on another planet would evolve differently.  Then throw in the fact that one side gets the sun the whole time and one side gets darkness the whole time.  Would life be segregated?  If they were, how would they perceive us since we live in both day and night?  Would it be on some vampire steez on that planet; day walkers or something like that?  Most of this is beyond my comprehension sometimes, but if there ever comes a day when our world comes face to face with other intelligent life, I don't even know how either side would react.         

I'd say let's visit, but then we would find something of theirs that we want and ultimately ruin another civilization.
And how would this planet work exactly? There is no night? So the planet never rotates eh? So wouldn't it need more than 1 sun? Or does this planets Sunlight reflect off another things surrounding it? 

I don't understand because of our obvious source of light and how we obtain it here. The earth rotates, so we receive light at different times.. But how does this work?

The article mentioned the orbit of the planet being like our moon. Since the amount of time it takes for the moon to rotate is the exact amount of time it takes to circle the earth, you end up seeing just one side of the moon.

Well its easier this way. take a ball and put it on the ground next to a reference object (say, a quarter or a baseball). Point the logo side of the basketball towards the reference object and move the ball in a circle around the object (don't roll it
roll.gif
) if you dont rotate the ball the side opposite the logo will eventually face the reference object. Now take the ball and move it around the reference object while always keeping the logo side of the ball pointed towards the reference object. You're rotating it. That's what that planet is doing around its sun and what the moon does around us.

That would mean perpetual night on one side of the planet. Depending on what angle axis the planet is tilted on it may still have seasons despite it's tidal locked orbit.

Someone let me know if I'm wrong please, I barely remembered the class where I learned this stuff

pimp.gif
Word 
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

The word is Revolve not rotate

roll.gif

pimp.gif
Word 
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

The word is Revolve not rotate

Originally Posted by bakedFresh707

Ever think that we may be the more advanced in the universe??
possible but unlikely imo. There are galaxies out there that are much older than ours. 

Originally Posted by bakedFresh707

Ever think that we may be the more advanced in the universe??
possible but unlikely imo. There are galaxies out there that are much older than ours. 

Back
Top Bottom