FANS NOT BUYING JAY Z BRAND

I'm done with this thread...I gotta figure out a way to block a whole thread because I'll get sucked back in...like I do...every two weeks when this thread comes up.

Jay has to give back...

No one has to give back...

Jay does in fact give back...like this is something we need to argue about, there are actual, public, facts and figures.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...a-closer-look-at-the-shawn-carter-foundation/

http://www.dosomething.org/blog/celebsgonegood/jay-z-awarded-un

http://www.witf.org/news/2013/08/made-in-america-festival-to-benefit-united-way-in-lancaster.php

We can argue about other things... but can we please please please get off that "jay z doesn't give back" whether he has to or not...he does...he puts time and effort into giving back to the community and the world...

These are what we in the business call FACTS....I don't understand how you guys can continually ignore these...completely ignore...you guys sound real republican with this little bubble ya'll live in.
you realize this thread was not about whether or not Jay Z is giving enough?

it's about marketability

Originally Posted by Rico x Hood  

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraPpStar  

I think you can only exploit your demographic so much without giving back in a meaningful way before they turn on you. Hov's acquired wealth off of our culture, without really doing anything to better it. This dude should be building schools in Brooklyn or something.

When you've reached the heights he has reached off of the support of your people you have a duty to return and make things better than you had it. I don't think he's lived up to that duty, and the constant bragging about brands no one has even heard of, is just making the people spiteful.

People like you are what's wrong with America. Rich and successful people are not obligated to give a single red cent to anybody, any charity, or to anything. It is THEIR money. They worked for it, earned it by THEIR efforts. Who are you to say that he should be building schools and be philanthropic? You wealth redistribution types are leeches.

it's about marketability
Damn....I ain't eem know....

He's still a great guy and he's really rich.

My friend said he throws really fun dinner parties and he said Jay is a really big art history buff.
I don't eem know what to make of that

Probably only owns a few Basquiat pieces, perhaps?
What I was getting at is this, why all of a sudden he's an art fan? This version of Jay is new to me. To me it's just another form of hypebeasting if you ask me. I knew about Basquiat way before Jay mentioned it. I laugh at him mentioning all these artists as if he was always into it. I'm not mad at his success, but in the manner he does it, his imgage was  the dude that was 'hood, sold drugs, didn't know about high class life, got some money, got new friends, they put him on to art, now he talks about it as if he was down with it from the beginning and now he feels he's doing something good by saying an artist's name in a rap and he's educatiing the youth about art? FOH, Those same kids can maybe do what I did, pick up a damn book, read and study artists and not wait for a rapper to give you a rap line out of context and pass it as education. It's lazy. 

This is partially true, and I can agree with this reponse...my point will continue with the argument that HE DOES NOT START TRENDS, nor does he influence them...

For example; Jay started wearing Givenchy and Pyrex in about 2012...but Givenchy for Men's been out since 2005....and what was Jay wearing in 2005?

Does he really set the most trends? Nah, fambs. You can't convince me that anymore.

Kanye has influenced Jay's style and music more than anything since 2005.

He's no trend setter, he follow's more style trends and music taste than anything..

*I'll get flamed for this post and I wish I can elaborate and add more, but I don't have the time*

Last edited:
where's Antidope to make sense of all this??
nerd.gif
I'm shocked he wasn't on the first page caping for Jay.

:lol:

I can see what beh's point of view is though, and while I can agree I don't know who this current version of Hov is, I can at least respect that he's the middle man needed that can open these young kids minds. Sometimes you need that and unfortunately, rappers can be more influential than teachers. And who knows, this could really be something he really does like and I can't hate on anyone growing as a person. Hell, I remember thinking that was Jesus on his shirt during his Unplugged concert and then the Che bandwagon blew up. Who knows if it would've happened that way had he not worn that shirt?

You guys have some elite attitudes.

This is partially true, and I can agree with this reponse...my point will continue with the argument that HE DOES NOT START TRENDS, nor does he influence them...

For example; Jay started wearing Givenchy and Pyrex in about 2012...but Givenchy for Men's been out since 2005....and what was Jay wearing in 2005?Does he really set the most trends? Nah, fambs. You can't convince me that anymore.

He's no trend setter, he follow's more style trends and music taste than anything..

*I'll get flamed for this post and I wish I can elaborate and add more, but I don't have the time*

Does he really set the most trends? Nah, fambs. You can't convince me that anymore.

*I'll get flamed for this post and I wish I can elaborate and add more, but I don't have the time
I agree with what you stated. He's just riding the wave of what's hot right now to remain relevant. 

Only thing he can really say he contributed to is maybe switching up the jersey to a button up. 

laugh.gif

I can see what beh's point of view is though, and while I can agree I don't know who this current version of Hov is, I can at least respect that he's the middle man needed that can open these young kids minds. Sometimes you need that and unfortunately, rappers can be more influential than teachers. And who knows, this could really be something he really does like and I can't hate on anyone growing as a person. Hell, I remember thinking that was Jesus on his shirt during his Unplugged concert and then the Che bandwagon blew up. Who knows if it would've happened that way had he not worn that shirt?
So encouraging youth to be motivated to learn on their own and not do it because a rap artist it rapping about it? Ok. I'm not saying it can't be used as a tool to help get education across easier, I'm saying from what I have been seeing, and this stems from when I was in HS, kids shouldn't have entertainers as their teacher. It really speaks to where we are as a society.

:lol:

Not sure how you got that from my reply, but ok :D

[ the dude that was 'hood, sold drugs, didn't know about high class life, got some money, got new friends, they put him on to art, now he talks about it as if he was down with it from the beginning and now he feels he's doing something good by saying an artist's name in a rap and he's educatiing the youth about art?

You just described a REALLY cool guy here.

I wanna get stupid wealthy and learn new things about the world, and then use whatever medium that got me wealthy to put others onto the things i've been learning about.

What do they say? "Each one should teach one according to his Knowledge"?

Are ya'll really doing the knowledge on this Sean Carter fellow?

Or are you comparing him to how you think you would be if you were in his shoes?

Last edited:

[ the dude that was 'hood, sold drugs, didn't know about high class life, got some money, got new friends, they put him on to art, now he talks about it as if he was down with it from the beginning and now he feels he's doing something good by saying an artist's name in a rap and he's educatiing the youth about art?
Pardon me, I forgot where I was

Bruh you do realize you described Patrick Joseph Kennedy, right?

Last edited:

I do now

Originally Posted by Rico x Hood  

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraPpStar  

I think you can only exploit your demographic so much without giving back in a meaningful way before they turn on you. Hov's acquired wealth off of our culture, without really doing anything to better it. This dude should be building schools in Brooklyn or something.

When you've reached the heights he has reached off of the support of your people you have a duty to return and make things better than you had it. I don't think he's lived up to that duty, and the constant bragging about brands no one has even heard of, is just making the people spiteful.

People like you are what's wrong with America. Rich and successful people are not obligated to give a single red cent to anybody, any charity, or to anything. It is THEIR money. They worked for it, earned it by THEIR efforts. Who are you to say that he should be building schools and be philanthropic? You wealth redistribution types are leeches.

it's about marketability
Damn....I ain't eem know....
that's unfortunately the direction it has taken

did you read the article though, judging by your earlier comment, before the one you cited.  It would seem as though you didn't

No no, only white people are allowed to make heroes of those like them who struggled to come out of poverty by using the trade of their day...whether or not it was legal...to build one of the most respected families in American history....Jay's a negro....he's not allowed to build his dynasty that way.

Back
Top Bottom