First fatal crash in self driving car (UBER)

City roads weren't designed with self driving cars in mind. This is too dangerous for pedestrians imo

while talking about road design

living in socal/la for a couple years, who the **** thought this on/off ramp was a good idea?

6yTVtjO.jpg

You don't think the owner will try and place the blame entirely on the autonomous car? In today's world, who gets the blame for a death caused by car accident? The driver does. I can almost guarantee you they will make you sign some type of liability agreement with these autonomous cars. No way these manufacturers aren't going to try and protect themselves.

So we should stay stuck in current times because you don't know who to hold accountable for accidents?

City roads weren't designed with self driving cars in mind. This is too dangerous for pedestrians imo
Exactly.

There's going to have to be a total redesign of the roads in order for this tech to flourish. I always wondered how these driverless cars function on roads without lane markers as well.

Nah, any driver with half a brain woudve seen her even in the middle lf the street seconds before even with that poorly lit road.

And keywords are middle of the street, its not like the car was in the left lane and she just came off the curb. She was already halfway across. She coudve looked right to see if any cars were coming but also the driver who has to be wary of pedestrians shoudve spotted her as well.

Man idk, from the camera's view could barely see her til she was at the headlight.

Even then depending on his speed he might have not been able to stop in time either.

And what do you guys mean by roads not being designed for self driving cars

Man idk, from the camera's view could barely see her til she was at the headlight.

Even then depending on his speed he might have not been able to stop in time either.

That's what I was thinking. Seemed unavoidable, driverless car or not. People get hit by cars driven by people every day.

Dude was legit asleep like he was on a plane or something. You know for a fact he lost his job plus he's got to deal with this legally and emotionally.

Bruh was not asleep lol.

I don't think this could of been avoided.

Pedestrian was at fault.

City roads weren't designed with self driving cars in mind.

This is stupid.

You don't rewire your house for new electronics.

Electronics are wired to work in your home.

The cars are being designed to work on city roads.

Mannnnn I'm not getting in a car unless a physical sober being is behind that damn wheel :lol: .

And what do you guys mean by roads not being designed for self driving cars

When do cameras have better vision than people? Aside from infrared and all that jazz, the cars headlights def woudve lit thenroad enough for a driver to see someone in the middle of the road. Again, its not like she just stepped off a curb and into the street.

Nah, any driver with half a brain woudve seen her even in the middle lf the street seconds before even with that poorly lit road.

And keywords are middle of the street, its not like the car was in the left lane and she just came off the curb. She was already halfway across. She coudve looked right to see if any cars were coming but also the driver who has to be wary of pedestrians shoudve spotted her as well.
what? Dude she appeared like a ghost out of nowhere

When do cameras have better vision than people? Aside from infrared and all that jazz, the cars headlights def woudve lit thenroad enough for a driver to see someone in the middle of the road. Again, its not like she just stepped off a curb and into the street.

I agree with what you're saying but at speed I don't think the outcome would have been much different, if at all.

Good LEDs would likely have shown the person early enough to prevent a collision. But very often especially in low lit areas without higher power bulbs you likely won't see an obstacle or person until it's too late. That's how people hit deer and big potholes.

**** deer while we're on this subject.

Looked like a dark road and the lady wasn't visible until the last seconds... Also, new roads will not be needed, just more pedestrian walk ways and possibly overhead foot pathways/bridges if that much concern over people getting run over

She wasn't even looking in the direction of traffic. I feel awful that she lost her life but that was a horrible decision on her part. Self-driving car or not.

I don't want to blame the victim, but I believe some fault could fall on her. (RIP)

But you cant cross the street and not visually recognize that lights are coming.

the vid shows how abruptly/quickly she became visible. Had the same issue driving to school on a dark road and MPs (military police) would cross the road (in their camo uniform) with no regard to the lighting...you could not see them and youd have to slam on the brakes to not hit them. the road was only 25mph.
Pedestrians have to also be aware.

IDK about anyone else but I'm expecting the cars to have some sort of body heat infrared sensor, night time vision, and wide angle camera lenses. It should be able to see both lanes of traffic and scan the sidewalks for pedestrians. I guess that'll be part of version 3.0 of Uber's driverless car

:rofl:@ transportation being equal to hard work.

Technology like this does lead to advances actually. More time for actual work/study/research.... When you say tech like this what do you mean?

Nobody is coming for your cars, you can keep them. One of this nations best attributes is its highway system, that isn't going anywhere either.

Lastly, I am genuinely curious as to why you think complaining about driving is pretty pathetic, all trends point to individuals living in cities (ie not driving).....Not to mention ride share, biking, and public transportation....How far do you drive to work?

So you disagree with me that railroads, truck driving, delivery services (Fed Ex, UPS, USPS), and airplanes arent the most accessible jobs that provide a good wage to people who are okay with working long hours and holidays?

More time for work? What? What kind of work are you going to be doing once people are taken away from the workplace. I guess you and the other million or so people will be trying to construct the next hit app to strike it rich.

People are indeed moving back closer to cities, I do agree. People for some reason love spending a substantial amount of their often lower income (compared to generations before) to park, and have a fancy 400 sg ft loft. So public transportation is making a comeback in many places that it was ripped out from decades ago, you're right.

Driverless cars dont provide a new service. You're hammered, call a cab. You're tired, plan on getting a nap or just take a flight if it's that far. The "good" of this tech is hugely overshadowed by the devestation to even more of the workers in this country. You think all these jobs will be replaced with something in the same pay rate? You know the answer.

I'm not a fan of self driving cars on some level, but just think of how many times I can stay home and just send the car on an errand. If I gotta go, then I'm driving..

I could understand autonomous cars in certain places but at night going 55 in a dimly lit area is not safe at all...

most drivers would have seen the person crossing and would've made a move.. this modern day artificial intelligence wave isn't going to replace humans because humans may not be able to calculate numbers but we sure can calculate our enviornment and our conscious plays a part in that decision making. Something a robot will never have

Back
Top Bottom