FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

I did the "bacon weave" yesterday morning for breakfast. Was feeling like a fat kid when I woke up so made that, fried an egg and put both between two Eggo waffles. Was damn good! Only thing was I like really crispy bacon. Should have had the oven at 425 or just kept it in a little longer.
I cook all "bacon" (turkey) on the George Foreman. Throw some black pepper on it so it helps it to burn faster. I basically like my bacon to be burnt.

Some bacon-wrapped hotdogs. I forget sometimes that the bacon grease can fly up. Lucky I wear glasses or i'd have hot oil in my eyes.

im down for any suggestions really. late night boba places, restaurants for big groups, etc

basically any places we dont have in nor cal @shoyru
mexican (carne asada fries & burritos are bomb here btw) - little caboose shop on ball rd in anaheim. right by knott's berry farms. varsity burger on lincoln avenue right by highway 5 is pretty good too. anaheim/buena park area too btw.

vietnamese - pho 79 in garden grove is THE hands down best pho i ever had. i forgot the street it was on but it's right by brookhurst ave.

thai - if you're down to go up the 57/60 to the san gabriel area, banana bay in rowland heights is awesome. it's my favorite thai joint in socal. and they're friendly for big groups!

boba:

- volcano tea house in garden grove - try their fruity in the booty. it's a whack name, but the drink is really good. it's warm boba, a sour strawberry-pineapple smoothie, with real fruit on the top.

- lollicup in irvine. 

- half and half in rowland heights.

- ten ren's in anaheim tastes better than the other ten ren's i had in the area

- tastea in rowland heights. holy hell yes. my favorite boba place aside from boba tea house in riverside.

if you wanna go to places that we don't have in norcal:

- round 1: a family-friendly japanese arcade. there's one in lakewood and another in a janky *** mall in asuza/industry. they have bowling, crane games for plushies, pool, and typical arcade games. they're open until 2am! but i think only the 18/21+ crowd can be there that late with an ID.

- beaches: there's so many along the coast in OC. i like huntington and PCH beach the best. corona del mar beach is pretty sweet too. 

im down for any suggestions really. late night boba places, restaurants for big groups, etc

basically any places we dont have in nor cal [@=/u/119916/shoyru]@shoyru[/@]
mexican (carne asada fries & burritos are bomb here btw) - little caboose shop on ball rd in anaheim. right by knott's berry farms. varsity burger on lincoln avenue right by highway 5 is pretty good too. anaheim/buena park area too btw.

vietnamese - pho 79 in garden grove is THE hands down best pho i ever had. i forgot the street it was on but it's right by brookhurst ave.

thai - if you're down to go up the 57/60 to the san gabriel area, banana bay in rowland heights is awesome. it's my favorite thai joint in socal. and they're friendly for big groups!

boba:
- volcano tea house in garden grove - try their fruity in the booty. it's a whack name, but the drink is really good. it's warm boba, a sour strawberry-pineapple smoothie, with real fruit on the top.
- lollicup in irvine. 
- half and half in rowland heights.
- ten ren's in anaheim tastes better than the other ten ren's i had in the area
- tastea in rowland heights. holy hell yes. my favorite boba place aside from boba tea house in riverside.

if you wanna go to places that we don't have in norcal:
- round 1: a family-friendly japanese arcade. there's one in lakewood and another in a janky *** mall in asuza/industry. they have bowling, crane games for plushies, pool, and typical arcade games. they're open until 2am! but i think only the 18/21+ crowd can be there that late with an ID.
- beaches: there's so many along the coast in OC. i like huntington and PCH beach the best. corona del mar beach is pretty sweet too. 

This right here....If you seen my posts in the past you'll know I'm picky about my pho but this place is best pho I've eaten in a restaurant.

I usually don't sip the broth when eating pho in restaurants cuz of the msg but I do sip it here. Broth is excellent

Oh damn shogun shogun , those bacon wrapped hotdogs look great. Do you just wrap the dogs with the bacon & then fry them in the pan until bacon is done?

Excuse the Tupperware but tonight

Deer sausage hash with a fried egg. Love tossing Parmesan in there and it mixes with the yolk to give a faux carbonara over everything

Oh damn shogun shogun , those bacon wrapped hotdogs look great. Do you just wrap the dogs with the bacon & then fry them in the pan until bacon is done?

Yeah, I made sure the bacon was wrapped tight. Put the stove on medium heat and just kept rotating the hotdogs every 3-5 minutes to make sure the bacon was cooked evenly.

Is it me or do socal boba spots seem "fancier" than the ones in the bay area. The ones I've been to feel like I've stepped into a lounge especially with how dim the lights were.

Is it me or do socal boba spots seem "fancier" than the ones in the bay area. The ones I've been to feel like I've stepped into a lounge especially with how dim the lights were.

i havent been do any spots in socal where it's like a lounge, except for boba bear but that's a hookah lounge.

Last edited:
Guppy Tea House and Cha2O are just some of the ones I've been to and are nothing like the ones I've been to in the bay. Then again, I really don't drink boba a whole lot.

Last edited:
Oh, I guess those are like borderline restaurants/cafes.

Most places I've been to are like go and get a drink, maybe a snack - Half&Half, MJ, 7 Leaves, etc ...

Verde was something similar to that. Could actually go sit and have a meal.

Last edited:
A little tip with costco chicken, cut it up, put it back in the oven skin side up, cook until crispy, taste 100x better.

350 i'd say up to 45 minutes.

The fat of the skin that drizzles down the skin keeps the skin juicy and tender.

You sure, cuz my chicken usually seems over cooked.
Still will try tho lol

Last edited:
Last edited:
Excuse the Tupperware but tonight

Deer sausage hash with a fried egg. Love tossing Parmesan in there and it mixes with the yolk to give a faux carbonara over everything

Are u a hunter?  Is deer meat rough ?  Never had deer before.

My roommates is and this late in the semester I'm just trying to keep stuff cheap haha.

Venison is solid for sausage it's no different from other meat cuz there's extra fat added to make it bind together well.

For steaks it's a little tricky. Letting it marinade is very important if just for the fact that some of the blood has to be allowed to get our otherwise it'll be super gamey. It also cooks really fast so I normally make stew out of it rather than mess with it too much. Ends up tasting a lot like braised beef

Lasagna recipes?

Key is having a great sauce and getting the cheese to pasta ratio right.

If you have time it might be worth going through the process of making a bolognese sauce. Beyond that it's just personal preference with the layering of ricotta, sauce, and pasta with mozzarella on top. Just don't be too shy with the sauce otherwise it'll come out rather dry

Back
Top Bottom