For those who have visited DC... help a NTer out

Originally Posted by Method Man

We have the second best zoo in the country tho? 
And Microsoft makes the nation's second most popular portable MP3 player.  How many Zunes can I put you down for? 

Terrible analogy.  People go to the zoo based off location not national ranking.

Originally Posted by Method Man

We have the second best zoo in the country tho? 
And Microsoft makes the nation's second most popular portable MP3 player.  How many Zunes can I put you down for? 

Terrible analogy.  People go to the zoo based off location not national ranking.

laugh.gif
@ the CVS comment.
Enjoy your visit OP.

Originally Posted by IamMD

Originally Posted by Dmvbatman

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

What's up fam... please help a fellow NTer out in helping to plan a great trip - (please copy and paste)
glasses.gif

MUST DO -

MUST VISIT (MUSEUM WISE) -

MUST EAT -

MUST SHOP AT -

COOL CONCERTS/EVENTS -

DO NOT -

AVOID DOING THIS -

a great trip to D.C?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I'm trying to plan a great one AWAY from here...but umm

must do- I mean depends on what you like, you can hit up some bowling spots (maryland), visit HU campus (the women there are
tongue.gif
), magic johnson theater for some movies, visit the *******'s stadium if you want.
laugh.gif

Must visit (museums?)- Air and Space museum, The Spy museum down town, hit up the Monument, and you can walk all the way up all of them damn floors
sick.gif
sick.gif
, Try to hit up the black wax museum if it's still there somewhere in Maryland, it's about slavery, also hit up the holocaust museum

must eat- well the mall's down here will give you an okay selection at their food courts...Wheaton mall, Silver Spring, P.G. Plaza.....they got some carribean spots down here (try the jerk chicken and curry chicken
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
), or you can hit up chipotle, but don't be surprised if you have to stand outside in the line...chipotle is food heaven down here to people, chik-fil-A, and you can visit the "cheesecake factory" (never been, or have i tried chik-fil-a)

must shop at- H&M, take your female friend's to forever 21 if that's their thing, Hot topic, Macy's (for the ralph lauren/lacoste section), it's up to you, or you could hit those mall's I listed..oh and how must i forget GEORGETOWN and PENTAGON CITY (it's in Virginia but the train will take you right there, just get off the train and walk straight into the mall).
pimp.gif

cool concerts/events?- Verizon Center to watch the Wizards, clubs? love, Ibiza, Lux Lounge, Fur Nightclub,  Zanzibar on the water front, Platinum, Ultra bar and lounge (very mixed crowd) most have different sections, like a spanish section, a techno section, etc...only been to Fur and Lux, it's so many clubs to list my goodness...be prepared to drop 20-25 bills, and the drinks go for $8 as I've witnessed  (don't drink lol). They also have spots that have rock and roll musicians come down and perform live, I think one's on H street N.E. but I don't know the name. For the clubs though, you have to dress casual (a button up, some casual shoes, etc), they'll turn you down wearing Jordan's and penny's.

DO NOT- come down here speeding if you drive, cameras are all up over the city and you will get caught if you think you're duke's of hazard. If you part downtown somewhere (if you can FIND a parking space) please, please put money in the meter, cus if you don't you will come back and find a ticket on your car.

AVOID- Stay out the hood's
laugh.gif
, but just by passing them on the bus/ driving you'll know which areas are bad and which are good...

Majority of the stuff he said to do...you should avoid.  I mean, I hope you're joking..pg plaza? wheaton mall? why would anybody ever want to do that???  Might as well tell them to hit Laurel mall for some good eats. you loafin.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

What's up fam... please help a fellow NTer out in helping to plan a great trip - (please copy and paste)
glasses.gif

MUST DO -

MUST VISIT (MUSEUM WISE) -

MUST EAT -

MUST SHOP AT -

COOL CONCERTS/EVENTS -

DO NOT -

AVOID DOING THIS -

a great trip to D.C?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I'm trying to plan a great one AWAY from here...but umm

must do- I mean depends on what you like, you can hit up some bowling spots (maryland), visit HU campus (the women there are
tongue.gif
), magic johnson theater for some movies, visit the *******'s stadium if you want.
laugh.gif

Must visit (museums?)- Air and Space museum, The Spy museum down town, hit up the Monument, and you can walk all the way up all of them damn floors
sick.gif
sick.gif
, Try to hit up the black wax museum if it's still there somewhere in Maryland, it's about slavery, also hit up the holocaust museum

must eat- well the mall's down here will give you an okay selection at their food courts...Wheaton mall, Silver Spring, P.G. Plaza.....they got some carribean spots down here (try the jerk chicken and curry chicken
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
), or you can hit up chipotle, but don't be surprised if you have to stand outside in the line...chipotle is food heaven down here to people, chik-fil-A, and you can visit the "cheesecake factory" (never been, or have i tried chik-fil-a)

must shop at- H&M, take your female friend's to forever 21 if that's their thing, Hot topic, Macy's (for the ralph lauren/lacoste section), it's up to you, or you could hit those mall's I listed..oh and how must i forget GEORGETOWN and PENTAGON CITY (it's in Virginia but the train will take you right there, just get off the train and walk straight into the mall).
pimp.gif

cool concerts/events?- Verizon Center to watch the Wizards, clubs? love, Ibiza, Lux Lounge, Fur Nightclub,  Zanzibar on the water front, Platinum, Ultra bar and lounge (very mixed crowd) most have different sections, like a spanish section, a techno section, etc...only been to Fur and Lux, it's so many clubs to list my goodness...be prepared to drop 20-25 bills, and the drinks go for $8 as I've witnessed  (don't drink lol). They also have spots that have rock and roll musicians come down and perform live, I think one's on H street N.E. but I don't know the name. For the clubs though, you have to dress casual (a button up, some casual shoes, etc), they'll turn you down wearing Jordan's and penny's.

DO NOT- come down here speeding if you drive, cameras are all up over the city and you will get caught if you think you're duke's of hazard. If you part downtown somewhere (if you can FIND a parking space) please, please put money in the meter, cus if you don't you will come back and find a ticket on your car.

AVOID- Stay out the hood's
laugh.gif
, but just by passing them on the bus/ driving you'll know which areas are bad and which are good...

Majority of the stuff he said to do...you should avoid.  I mean, I hope you're joking..pg plaza? wheaton mall? why would anybody ever want to do that???  Might as well tell them to hit Laurel mall for some good eats. you loafin.
laugh.gif

do's...go to bens chilli bowl, hit up a peruvian spot in va, go to the museums and monuments, (your do's are kinda limited because dc is much more attractive in the spring/summer) you could do paddle boating, go to silver spring for their free concerts and movie showings (outdoor) etc. check out the waterfront at old town alex or the waterfront in southwest. etc.

dont...as stated...get reckless with the kids here (they are ruthless) dont go alone at night...anywhere (its very easy to get lost in dc)

Other thant that you will be good. DC isnt all that bad. Common sense will keep you safe. You're a tourist...know your place (NW) stay out of SE or NE if your not at a ball game or sight seeing the good parts.

do's...go to bens chilli bowl, hit up a peruvian spot in va, go to the museums and monuments, (your do's are kinda limited because dc is much more attractive in the spring/summer) you could do paddle boating, go to silver spring for their free concerts and movie showings (outdoor) etc. check out the waterfront at old town alex or the waterfront in southwest. etc.

dont...as stated...get reckless with the kids here (they are ruthless) dont go alone at night...anywhere (its very easy to get lost in dc)

Other thant that you will be good. DC isnt all that bad. Common sense will keep you safe. You're a tourist...know your place (NW) stay out of SE or NE if your not at a ball game or sight seeing the good parts.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

on another note..everybody has a barry farms story..lol  
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Man I was reading dude's recommendations like
grin.gif
. Yea what is up with naming all of these stupid malls as sources of food.

Man avoid driving if you can. Catch the subway EVERYWHERE. No need to drive man. The DC Metro is beautiful. Just don't stare at anybody or run your mouth to the youngins because you will get tested.
man you acting like I didn't name "specific places"

and he did the exact same thing i did by naming a "mall" so *$+?
Chill, he was alluding to the fact that they're all bum malls not worth being mentioned. To an out-of-towner, Pentagon City, Tysons and G-Town would probably be the first places to shop, but like someone else said, none of that stuff is exclusive so its like a normal day shopping. If your young, adams morgan or a club, lounge would suffice for nightlife. I agree with Meth, DC this time of year is beautiful and a walk around to take in the sights wouldn't be a bad idea. The metro isn't that bad, just mind your business and be a little more alert when your on the green line. Food is whatever, i'm a carryout junky, but since i doubt you'll be going out of your way to eat, i'd say just get whatever is close.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

on another note..everybody has a barry farms story..lol  
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Man I was reading dude's recommendations like
grin.gif
. Yea what is up with naming all of these stupid malls as sources of food.

Man avoid driving if you can. Catch the subway EVERYWHERE. No need to drive man. The DC Metro is beautiful. Just don't stare at anybody or run your mouth to the youngins because you will get tested.
man you acting like I didn't name "specific places"

and he did the exact same thing i did by naming a "mall" so *$+?
Chill, he was alluding to the fact that they're all bum malls not worth being mentioned. To an out-of-towner, Pentagon City, Tysons and G-Town would probably be the first places to shop, but like someone else said, none of that stuff is exclusive so its like a normal day shopping. If your young, adams morgan or a club, lounge would suffice for nightlife. I agree with Meth, DC this time of year is beautiful and a walk around to take in the sights wouldn't be a bad idea. The metro isn't that bad, just mind your business and be a little more alert when your on the green line. Food is whatever, i'm a carryout junky, but since i doubt you'll be going out of your way to eat, i'd say just get whatever is close.

In that case, what difference does the ranking make?  They could just say, "We've got a squirrel trapped in a cage and the next closest zoo is in Cleveland.  Your move, tourists."  

Don't come at me for making light of the importance of the zoo's national ranking if you have no respect for it, either.  

I had to visit the National Zoo too many times on field trips etc. as a kid and it's horrible.  It's freezing cold half the year, so they have to stuff creatures accustomed to warm weather climates in suffocating indoor enclosures.  They practically lock chimpanzees inside phone booths.  Giant Macaws are kept in glorified poultry crates with their wings clipped.  If you're desperate to see a hippo crammed into a spa tub, just go to FedEx field after a game and find Albert Haynesworth.  

In that case, what difference does the ranking make?  They could just say, "We've got a squirrel trapped in a cage and the next closest zoo is in Cleveland.  Your move, tourists."  

Don't come at me for making light of the importance of the zoo's national ranking if you have no respect for it, either.  

I had to visit the National Zoo too many times on field trips etc. as a kid and it's horrible.  It's freezing cold half the year, so they have to stuff creatures accustomed to warm weather climates in suffocating indoor enclosures.  They practically lock chimpanzees inside phone booths.  Giant Macaws are kept in glorified poultry crates with their wings clipped.  If you're desperate to see a hippo crammed into a spa tub, just go to FedEx field after a game and find Albert Haynesworth.  

^ So you're threadjacking this thread into a zoo competition AND allowing a regional thread in General?

above-the-law.jpg

pimp.gif

^ So you're threadjacking this thread into a zoo competition AND allowing a regional thread in General?

above-the-law.jpg

pimp.gif

We've allowed some threads re: tourist info about Las Vegas etc. in the past because they're common tourist destinations and are suitable for General discussion.  "Help!  Where can I find a good dry cleaner in Gary, Indiana!?" is not.   "SF RESIDENTS:  DID YOU FEEL THAT JUST NOW!"!?!!?"  is not.   See the difference? 

The threadjacking accusation is laughably specious.  I made a comment about a DC tourist attraction.  Somebody decided to get a little extra about it.  I responded within the context of the discussion, elaborating on why I don't think it's a good destination in the process.  

Keep reaching for the stars, though.

We've allowed some threads re: tourist info about Las Vegas etc. in the past because they're common tourist destinations and are suitable for General discussion.  "Help!  Where can I find a good dry cleaner in Gary, Indiana!?" is not.   "SF RESIDENTS:  DID YOU FEEL THAT JUST NOW!"!?!!?"  is not.   See the difference? 

The threadjacking accusation is laughably specious.  I made a comment about a DC tourist attraction.  Somebody decided to get a little extra about it.  I responded within the context of the discussion, elaborating on why I don't think it's a good destination in the process.  

Keep reaching for the stars, though.

the zoo in d.c is pretty wack. feels bad seeing those animals there

Back
Top Bottom