For those who have visited DC... help a NTer out

the zoo in d.c is pretty wack. feels bad seeing those animals there

@DMVBatman, I got on you because you named those hood malls. LOL. How are you going to tell an out-of-town dude to visit PG when he is here for a week. Come on now. What will he see there? Honestly, shopping would never be on my to-do list when visiting another city. Just makes my bag heavier than it was when I arrived there. But that is just me.

I would say visit U Street on a Thursday-Saturday Night. Adams Morgan as well, but I prefer U-Street.

Old Town Alexandria, same thing, walk around. Shoppes, River Walk. (King Street - Yellow Line)

Wizards
Capitals

What are some things to do that interesting you.

@DMVBatman, I got on you because you named those hood malls. LOL. How are you going to tell an out-of-town dude to visit PG when he is here for a week. Come on now. What will he see there? Honestly, shopping would never be on my to-do list when visiting another city. Just makes my bag heavier than it was when I arrived there. But that is just me.

I would say visit U Street on a Thursday-Saturday Night. Adams Morgan as well, but I prefer U-Street.

Old Town Alexandria, same thing, walk around. Shoppes, River Walk. (King Street - Yellow Line)

Wizards
Capitals

What are some things to do that interesting you.

U Street > AM

Oh yeah...dont buy any maps of the Nat'l mall from dudes selling them outside. U get those joints for free in the museums. Straight hustle.

*U can go to Ben's Chili Bowl for the experience and just to say you've been there, but IMO it's one of the most overrated restaurants in the city. 

*I didn't see what dates you'd be in the city, but if you can get a chance to see the Cherry Blossoms...do it.  But get there EARLY. 

*Forget the PETA speech from Meth...DC's Zoo is great. 

Originally Posted by Method Man

Do you really have to come off so condescending and pompous all the time?
You pretty much singlehandedly took this thread somewhere totally different with your "let me tell how to enjoy DC and don't listen to these guys" speech.

I respect your insight regarding many other topics but you could be a little cooler in the way you come off.

Originally Posted by Method Man

You pretty much singlehandedly took this thread somewhere totally different with your "let me tell how to enjoy DC and don't listen to these guys" speech.

I respect your insight regarding many other topics but you could be a little cooler in the way you come off.

U Street > AM

Oh yeah...dont buy any maps of the Nat'l mall from dudes selling them outside. U get those joints for free in the museums. Straight hustle.

*U can go to Ben's Chili Bowl for the experience and just to say you've been there, but IMO it's one of the most overrated restaurants in the city. 

*I didn't see what dates you'd be in the city, but if you can get a chance to see the Cherry Blossoms...do it.  But get there EARLY. 

*Forget the PETA speech from Meth...DC's Zoo is great. 

Batman named spots like F21 H&M and Chipotle like they aren't national chains...

OP if you can try and get some ethiopian food...DC/Alexandria has the largest Ethiopian pop in the country and they have restaurants everywhere...i dont know of any specific ones but the food is good...

i always found the national mall to be cool (no one else agrees with me
laugh.gif
)

MUST DO - Visit the Monuments, seems kinda corny when they do it on movies but its pretty breathtaking when youre there.

MUST VISIT (MUSEUM WISE) - DO NOT go to the Spy Museum/Natural History Museum if you dont like little kids, theyre everywhere...and they dont give a %+%#...

MUST EAT - Jumbo Slice from Adams Morgan, Good Stuff Eatery/We The Pizza on Pennsylvania (I think near M) and Ben's Chili Bowl; more specifically Ben's Next Door. My girl works there so if you tip her itll help me get a better gift for my bday in April.

MUST SHOP AT - Do all my shopping online

COOL CONCERTS/EVENTS - Live music on U Street, almost always something random going on on The Mall. Try Adams Morgan as well

DO NOT - Speed, Let taxi drivers play you, get brave on the metro (unless you want to be on WSHH the next day)

AVOID DOING THIS - Southeast and Georgetown. SE because Im pretty sure you won't have the .cal on you and Georgetown because it's crowded w/ rude people and overrated. Oh, and dont believe the hype about cupcakes in DC...Duncan Hines out of the box >*

MUST DO - Visit the Monuments, seems kinda corny when they do it on movies but its pretty breathtaking when youre there.

MUST VISIT (MUSEUM WISE) - DO NOT go to the Spy Museum/Natural History Museum if you dont like little kids, theyre everywhere...and they dont give a %+%#...

MUST EAT - Jumbo Slice from Adams Morgan, Good Stuff Eatery/We The Pizza on Pennsylvania (I think near M) and Ben's Chili Bowl; more specifically Ben's Next Door. My girl works there so if you tip her itll help me get a better gift for my bday in April.

MUST SHOP AT - Do all my shopping online

COOL CONCERTS/EVENTS - Live music on U Street, almost always something random going on on The Mall. Try Adams Morgan as well

DO NOT - Speed, Let taxi drivers play you, get brave on the metro (unless you want to be on WSHH the next day)

AVOID DOING THIS - Southeast and Georgetown. SE because Im pretty sure you won't have the .cal on you and Georgetown because it's crowded w/ rude people and overrated. Oh, and dont believe the hype about cupcakes in DC...Duncan Hines out of the box >*

Batman named spots like F21 H&M and Chipotle like they aren't national chains...

OP if you can try and get some ethiopian food...DC/Alexandria has the largest Ethiopian pop in the country and they have restaurants everywhere...i dont know of any specific ones but the food is good...

i always found the national mall to be cool (no one else agrees with me
laugh.gif
)

Originally Posted by Im Not You

MUST SHOP AT - I don't know about "must" but Georgetown is our cliche snobby shopping district with luxury retailers. Major is here too if you want kicks.

Outside of the SportsZone, I don't think I have ever bought clothes from Georgetown.
laugh.gif
. So yea me and Method feel the same way with shopping while on vacation. I don't get it either.

OP, don't forget Method is a vegetarian so check the menus of the food spots he is sending you to.
laugh.gif

And Method, what is your issue with CVS?

Originally Posted by Im Not You

MUST SHOP AT - I don't know about "must" but Georgetown is our cliche snobby shopping district with luxury retailers. Major is here too if you want kicks.

Outside of the SportsZone, I don't think I have ever bought clothes from Georgetown.
laugh.gif
. So yea me and Method feel the same way with shopping while on vacation. I don't get it either.

OP, don't forget Method is a vegetarian so check the menus of the food spots he is sending you to.
laugh.gif

And Method, what is your issue with CVS?

I offered an opinion just like anyone else here, and you'll notice that people weren't exactly unanimous in their recommendations before I showed up.  Everyone's entitled to their own take.  I shared mine.  What's so horrible about that?
Honestly, I think some people can't get over the "admin" tag.  Other staff members, like Dirtylicious, put up with the same garbage and they are in no way pompous or condescending.  People just choose to take it that way and often it's because they have some little hang up with the fact that, yes, they have the "authority" to enforce the forum rules.  
OP, don't forget Method is a vegetarian so check the menus of the food spots he is sending you to. And Method, what is your issue with CVS? 

You're acting like veg*an food is toxic or something.  Every single person I've taken to those restaurants has enjoyed it - and almost all of them have been omnivorous.  They're just good places to eat.  
CVS sucks for a lot of reasons.  Running independent retailers out of business is bad enough, and in that regard they're like an urban Walmart, but I think their condom policy has been particularly unconscionable.  DC is known throughout the country for its HIV rates.  It's over 3% by some estimates - higher, even, than exists in some West African nations, like Kenya or Uganda.  Given that, you'd think that, just for the sake of decency, it would be considered important to make condoms accessible to DC residents - and that's pretty much the case in the affluent parts of town.  In poorer areas, CVS has kept condoms under lock and key.  To me, that's simply despicable.  

Zed's, 28th & M. 
i always found the national mall to be cool (no one else agrees with me  )

No argument here.  To me, living within walking distance of the National Mall is a huge perk.

I offered an opinion just like anyone else here, and you'll notice that people weren't exactly unanimous in their recommendations before I showed up.  Everyone's entitled to their own take.  I shared mine.  What's so horrible about that?
Honestly, I think some people can't get over the "admin" tag.  Other staff members, like Dirtylicious, put up with the same garbage and they are in no way pompous or condescending.  People just choose to take it that way and often it's because they have some little hang up with the fact that, yes, they have the "authority" to enforce the forum rules.  
OP, don't forget Method is a vegetarian so check the menus of the food spots he is sending you to. And Method, what is your issue with CVS? 

You're acting like veg*an food is toxic or something.  Every single person I've taken to those restaurants has enjoyed it - and almost all of them have been omnivorous.  They're just good places to eat.  
CVS sucks for a lot of reasons.  Running independent retailers out of business is bad enough, and in that regard they're like an urban Walmart, but I think their condom policy has been particularly unconscionable.  DC is known throughout the country for its HIV rates.  It's over 3% by some estimates - higher, even, than exists in some West African nations, like Kenya or Uganda.  Given that, you'd think that, just for the sake of decency, it would be considered important to make condoms accessible to DC residents - and that's pretty much the case in the affluent parts of town.  In poorer areas, CVS has kept condoms under lock and key.  To me, that's simply despicable.  

Zed's, 28th & M. 
i always found the national mall to be cool (no one else agrees with me  )

No argument here.  To me, living within walking distance of the National Mall is a huge perk.

Yea, all the tourist stuff is cool. I've been hear my whole life (and work in the Cap. building) so I'm a bit jaded...but it really is impressive to see.

+10 on the art galleries.

Yea, all the tourist stuff is cool. I've been hear my whole life (and work in the Cap. building) so I'm a bit jaded...but it really is impressive to see.

+10 on the art galleries.

This bama DMVbatman obviously didn't understand the sarcasm...Son said h&m tho!?!?!? Lol, you dont leave Capitol heights much do you?

This bama DMVbatman obviously didn't understand the sarcasm...Son said h&m tho!?!?!? Lol, you dont leave Capitol heights much do you?

MUST DO - white house, washington momument.....(bmore aquarium and inner harbor time and transportation permitting)

MUST VISIT (MUSEUM WISE) - holocaust, newsuem, american indian

MUST EAT - wings at clydes, jumbo slices u st, sliders at matchbox

MUST SHOP AT - adams morgan got some cool lil head-like shops

COOL CONCERTS/EVENTS - bar of iii on u st, weekly gogo events in dc and md but i don't know if that's your cup of tea

DO NOT - just chill you'll be straight but avoid rumors at 19 & k

AVOID DOING THIS -

MUST DO - white house, washington momument.....(bmore aquarium and inner harbor time and transportation permitting)

MUST VISIT (MUSEUM WISE) - holocaust, newsuem, american indian

MUST EAT - wings at clydes, jumbo slices u st, sliders at matchbox

MUST SHOP AT - adams morgan got some cool lil head-like shops

COOL CONCERTS/EVENTS - bar of iii on u st, weekly gogo events in dc and md but i don't know if that's your cup of tea

DO NOT - just chill you'll be straight but avoid rumors at 19 & k

AVOID DOING THIS -

Back
Top Bottom