Former Pentagon UFO official: 'We may not be alone'

Aliens been real and we been known about them. Yea some people create these hoax videos, pictures, and stories for that 15 min of notoriety but there is definitely something out there.
I'm a firm believer in Bigfoot as well, the government knows these things exist but they won't come right out and tell us, it'll take some undeniable occurrence to take place for them to finally come out and say but they know.

all im saying is, it took almost a hundred years to find the first panda. who is black and white, slow and fat :lol:. and they were actually looking for the thing.

I can field the first question:
Because we haven't been able to find a planet with life, let alone put a man on it, so if a manned UFO was to make it here, then the technology would be more advanced off the strength.
Don't take my questions as me saying we are more advanced than them. I would probably make the same assumptions, of them being more advanced.

The point of my questions were to simply put out there that we don't know enough about anything to make the claim and/or have the belief that they have never been here before.

At best, "I don't know" makes more sense than, "I don't believe" they have been here

I get what DC’s saying. Traveling the cosmos doesn’t necessarily make them “more advanced”. In our way of thinking it does, but space travel, moving at the speed of light or what have you could be something that came naturally to them.

I never thought about it like that.

I get what DC’s saying. Traveling the cosmos doesn’t necessarily make them “more advanced”. In our way of thinking it does, but space travel, moving at the speed of light or what have you could be something that came naturally to them.

I never thought about it like that.
I mean we think WE are more advanced than cats and dogs, but they damn sure don't need to use scientific devices to know what the weather patterns are.

They don't need weapons to kill for their food. Who is really more advanced?

The word "advanced" is tricky.

I mean we think WE are more advanced than cats and dogs, but they damn sure don't need to use scientific devices to know what the weather patterns are.

They don't need weapons to kill for their food. Who is really more advanced?

The word "advanced" is tricky.
It's not tricky at all. Cats and dogs don't need "weapons" because of their physical abilities. Not because they're out smarting their prey. Also we don't NEED weapons for food. Fishing rods, traps, etc., are not weapons. We just sometimes chose to use them. We use our intellect to build tools to aquire what we need, hence more advanced.

bernard-hopkins-boxing-bernard-hopkins-vs-karo-murat4.jpg

It's not tricky at all. Cats and dogs don't need "weapons" because of their physical abilities. Not because they're out smarting their prey. Also we don't NEED weapons for food. Fishing rods, traps, etc., are not weapons. We just sometimes chose to use them. We use our intellect to build tools to aquire what we need, hence more advanced.
But the concept of intelligence is a man made concept. So of course man is going to think man is more intelligent than non-humans.

It is tricky because the concepts are not set in stone, they are created by a group of individuals and is then universally used on all other species.

It is almost like saying a financial advisor is smarter than an auto mechanic. Says who? What makes the FA smarter?

Don't take my questions as me saying we are more advanced than them. I would probably make the same assumptions, of them being more advanced.

The point of my questions were to simply put out there that we don't know enough about anything to make the claim and/or have the belief that they have never been here before.

At best, "I don't know" makes more sense than, "I don't believe" they have been here
Gotcha, that makes sense.

But the concept of intelligence is a man made concept. So of course man is going to think man is more intelligent than non-humans.

It is tricky because the concepts are not set in stone, they are created by a group of individuals and is then universally used on all other species.

It is almost like saying a financial advisor is smarter than an auto mechanic. Says who? What makes the FA smarter?
That scenario doesn't really apply because we're talking about intelligence between species. You're making an assumption about to humans without testing their intelligence.
You're right though. Intelligence is a man made concept, but so is time. Just because its man made doesn't mean we can't use it as some type of unit of measure. Also doesn't mean intelligence is static which is key. Just because someone or thing is more intelligent now, doesn't mean the other person or thing isn't capable if gaining intelligence and surpassing them. Back to your previous example about cats and dogs. I said we're more intelligent now, but I never said they're incapable of become more intelligent.

That scenario doesn't really apply because we're talking about intelligence between species. You're making an assumption about to humans without testing their intelligence.
You're right though. Intelligence is a man made concept, but so is time. Just because its man made doesn't mean we can't use it as some type of unit of measure. Also doesn't mean intelligence is static which is key. Just because someone or thing is more intelligent now, doesn't mean the other person or thing isn't capable if gaining intelligence and surpassing them. Back to your previous example about cats and dogs. I said we're more intelligent now, but I never said they're incapable of become more intelligent.
So if you acknowledge that it IS a man made concept, you have to also acknowledge that there is an innate bias when we are determining the "intelligence" of other species?

But back to the original convo, I am simply looking at the word "advanced." We are only basing this off of the assumption that their methods of space travel surpasses ours. Pretend this is true, does the possession of that skill ALONE make them more advanced than us?

What if their people die from common colds?
What if their people aren't able to create means of irrigating water?

The idea that one specific skill makes your superior (advanced/smarter) than another is what I am questioning.

So if you acknowledge that it IS a man made concept, you have to also acknowledge that there is an innate bias when we are determining the "intelligence" of other species?

But back to the original convo, I am simply looking at the word "advanced." We are only basing this off of the assumption that their methods of space travel surpasses ours. Pretend this is true, does the possession of that skill ALONE make them more advanced than us?

What if their people die from common colds?
What if their people aren't able to create means of irrigating water?

The idea that one specific skill makes your superior (advanced/smarter) than another is what I am questioning.
To address your first point no I don't think there's an "innate bais". Were did you get that from?

Anyway I understand your point about being advanced but by advanced I thought we were talking strictly technological advancements. I'm not an expert but since all we're doing is making assumptions. I can assume figuring out how to travel through interstellar space requires a high level of mathematical calculations and engineering. Lower levels of such could be used to figure simpler things like clean water or medicine.

Besides don't you think any species would try to figure out how to stay alive before traveling into space?

Besides don't you think any species would try to figure out how to stay alive before traveling into space?
Try, sure. I (as a human) would assume that would be the order of operations. But what do I know? Nothing.

But what if that isn't a priority of theirs?

To address your first point no I don't think there's an "innate bais". Were did you get that from?

So just looking back at the cats/dogs example I used.

Intelligence being a human concept, means we would be looking at examples of intelligence (human intelligence) in cats/dogs. So when we don't see those, we come to the conclusion that they aren't as intelligent as humans.

I say there is a bias because we are grading them on a scale that didn't have them in mind when it was initially created.

But what if that isn't a priority of theirs?

Priority is what we base our perception of “advanced technology” on.

An alien civilization could be able to travel at the speed of light, but live in mud huts. Are they really more advanced?

Priority is what we base our perception of “advanced technology” on.

An alien civilization could be able to travel at the speed of light, but live in mud huts. Are they really more advanced?

Not sure how we would/should judge that.

Also, who knows how many of them are out there. Maybe they don't care about increasing life expectancy. Who knows.

It is fun to speculate

There are so many assumptions in these statements (of course the entire convo is an assumption, I get that).

1. Why are they PROBABLY so far advanced?

2. Why do you assume that IF they are more advanced, they would probably not want anything to do with us?

IF they come here

If they can travel the speed of light they'e probably far more advanced.

Would you talk to a monkey lol

IF they come here

If they can travel the speed of light they'e probably far more advanced.

Would you talk to a monkey lol
I talk to stray dogs and cats.

I am the wrong person to be asking this question.

I assume they are inquisitive, how would they know they are superior to us if they never came to observe?

Satellite feeds of Earthling TV?

So just looking back at the cats/dogs example I used.

Intelligence being a human concept, means we would be looking at examples of intelligence (human intelligence) in cats/dogs. So when we don't see those, we come to the conclusion that they aren't as intelligent as humans.

I say there is a bias because we are grading them on a scale that didn't have them in mind when it was initially created.
Its not like were giving animals the SATs. I don't know what goes into animal intelligence testing but just because intelligence is man made doesn't mean we're grading them in "human" intelligence.
Strength is also a man made concept and we know silverbacks are stronger than us. Why can't that be applied with intelligence?
Also saying something is intelligent doesn't mean smarter than humans. They discovered that octopus are highly intelligent.

Feats of strength are more tangible than tests of intelligence.

There are more varying instances of multiple intelligences than strength.

I don't think that would be a good comparison.

I totally get that fish don't climb trees, but humans can harness the power of the Sun for electricity and communicate globally through a system of our own design.

we have a giant floating laboratory in space as well as ice cream and cheese fries.

seems pretty advanced to me...we can effectively do anything any animal can do, but it doesn't go the other way around. I feel like that's a defining separation.

now, as it relates to extraterrestrials--which there damn near HAVE to be, mathematically speaking--if they can achieve any effect we can with our technology plus a few extra tricks that we can barely even fathom, I feel like that would make them objectively superior.

if the universal imperative of all known life is to self-perpetuate and build from there, interstellar travel is way way way up the tier list for a society.

hell, a "society" itself is a pretty fair set of advancements.

to tie everything together, we're certainly not ready to meet anything not from Earth...for one, who speaks for the human race?

The videos, all taken from cockpit cameras, show pilots struggling to lock their radars on oval-shaped vessels that, on screen, look vaguely like giant flying Tic Tacs. The strange aircraft — no claims are made about their possible origins or makeup — appear to hover briefly before sprinting away at speeds that elicit gasps and shouts from the pilots

There's a good chance that there is more life in the universe than what's on earth. I'd say it's basically a certainty, but the chances of any public, concrete knowledge coming out in our lifetimes are close to nil. Also, I don't subscribe to the belief that other life would take any form that we could even understand tbh

Back
Top Bottom