Full Size Run complex/solecollector YouTube series.

i mean i don't wanna be that guy...

but have you seen OG nike catalogs from da early 90's?

9001%2Bcopy1.jpg

you seen old metallica pics?

Maybe I should’ve used a different word instead of gentrification cuz The point I’m making has nothing to do with white people. Well maybe not NOTHING but you’re making a different point

Yeah no, white kids weren't wearing sneakers like that. Most of them would only buy them for games and then slide right back into their flip flops or busted *** Airwalks or NBs. Sneaker game has been gentrified like a MFer.

White kids would even make fun of the few white kids that would wear sneakers off the court or have more than one pair.

the second part is very true

Thats a very funny and true statement. I remember back when I was heavy on Complex he had a show with Clark Kent I thought was dope. I remember Clark saying in some interview the money wasnt right though so they stopped

Him and Russ Bengston. Yeah, I watched that. But Complex waters down or tries to gentrify everything they touch.

Yeah no, white kids weren't wearing sneakers like that. Most of them would only buy them for games and then slide right back into their flip flops or busted *** Airwalks or NBs. Sneaker game has been gentrified like a MFer.

White kids would even make fun of the few white kids that would wear sneakers off the court or have more than one pair.

I remember when I used to wait for a release and it was just us inline. I used to feel weird, with all of them walking by asking what are you waiting for.

Now it's different. It's both good and bad.

We make everything cool.

Sneakers are an African American thing because of hip hop and our natural propensity to dress fly... the black youth of the 80s and 90s made and influenced the sneaker culture, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Your sneakers were important to your overall look...

Sure there were Caucasian, Asian, and other cats into sneakers back then but they were few and far between... and most of them probably got into it because of hip hop...

It's the same thing now... rap music/hip hop is the #1 genre with young people globally so of course the number of other people into sneakers is way beyond what it used to be... people that you wouldn't imagine being into sneakers.

These new kids follow these hipster doofuses and clowns at Complex and YouTube and regard them as the tastemakers of what's considered cool and take their every word as gospel. So as a result white, black, and every other race of kid is not into sneakers for the appreciation of design or to get fly, but for the sake of re-selling, hype, and pretentiousness. It's just another thing or fad to them... these are the people who make it mad difficult to cop s**t nowadays...

Don’t wanna be THAT guy but....... the people who designed the shoes were white, shoes manufactured in ASIA.... but marketed by black athletes.
Sneaker culture was ALWAYS all inclusive. Can’t say it’s gentrified when the damn shoes were designed by white dudes, at a white corporation. And I’m black, lol.

It was always a culture co-op.....

Some of y’all sound DUMB

Don’t wanna be THAT guy but....... the people who designed the shoes were white, shoes manufactured in ASIA.... but marketed by black athletes.
Sneaker culture was ALWAYS all inclusive. Can’t say it’s gentrified when the damn shoes were designed by white dudes, at a white corporation. And I’m black, lol.

It was always a culture co-op.....

Some of y’all sound DUMB
Legends :nthat:

FSR is funny and it has a crazy host lineup that seems to work so well

Anyways .... The Rayguns are being rereleased and this guy from NIKE SB was at my friends store in Torrance showing them to us.. and he was wearing the Freddy Kruger Dunk SB's....

He told us a funny story about Sandy Bodecker and the real reason the Freddy Kruger Dunk SB's were cancelled.... (Apparently the new ray guns are patterned after a tie dye Raygun hoody Sandy used to wear..... but they just look like ray guns with missing paint)

Tinker Hatfield used to get teased by Sandy Bodecker that he looked like Robert Englund ... the guy who played Freddy Krueger... But it came to a head when the Freddy Krueger SB's were about to be released and Tinker put the claws on that release because he couldn't handle the Ego burn around the nike campus... and apparently everyone got an email warning them to stop singing the Freddy Kruger song with Tinker Hatfield name in it LOL!!!

The designers and manufacturing companies don’t count... I’m talking about the consumer side...

and just because a few TV actors had a pair of kicks don’t mean they into sneakers like say a Bobbito or Clark Kent or the cats who had the freshest collection of new kicks and searched high and low for old stock...

I would pay money to see an episode of FSR with Ninjahood.
I like FSR when they have a good guest, but it’s the editor that really carries the show.

In all fairness, a designer's demographic doesn't always correlate to their intended consumer. Thats not really a good argument. Biggest women's fashion lines were created by men.

That being said, I think sneaker culture (I'm talking all sneakers brands, not just Nike's and Jordans) had everyone in different niche areas. And that extends outside of your neighborhood and city. Everyone liked Michael Jordan and his sneakers.

Sneakers have always been a universal thing. Different races/ethnicities have played a major role in the growth of the sneaker culture. I'm Latino and dude mentioned two of the most notable sneakerheads who happen to be Latinos, one is Puerto Rican (Bobbito Garcia) & the other one Panamanian (DJ Clark Kent). Most of those White celebrities were into sneakers just as much as their Black counterparts. Go to Japan or Europe and folks there have been into sneakers since way back.

I have been into sneakers since I was in 4th grade (the 90s). I remember how I used to draw the logos of Nike, Reebok, FILA, etc. My humble beginnings in Newark, NJ (Brick City) is what molded me into appreciating other brands/sneaker silhouttes, you already know passion over hype.

Man, the gram is a treasure chest filled with a bunch of gems.

Hosts are cool but the show is meh

tried to watch an episode or two, couldn’t really get into it. Forgot who was on the episode I watched, either dude was on a few drugs or something but kinda turned me off

This episode? He was FRIED lol

Sneakers have always been a universal thing. Different races/ethnicities have played a major role in the growth of the sneaker culture. I'm Latino and dude mentioned two of the most notable sneakerheads who happen to be Latinos, one is Puerto Rican (Bobbito Garcia) & the other one Panamanian (DJ Clark Kent). Most of those White celebrities were into sneakers just as much as their Black counterparts. Go to Japan or Europe and folks there have been into sneakers since way back.

I have been into sneakers since I was in 4th grade (the 90s). I remember how I used to draw the logos of Nike, Reebok, FILA, etc. My humble beginnings in Newark, NJ (Brick City) is what molded me into appreciating other brands/sneaker silhouttes, you already know passion over hype.

Man, the gram is a treasure chest filled with a bunch of gems.

excellent point b, da same way that you have to validate da perspective and experience of those Japanese Nike sneaker Bibles that we all have heralded for their granular attention to detail we also praise da perspective of folks like papito Garcia and Clark kent, fat joe, wale and others who participate in sneaker culture in their own unique perspective and are recognized for different aspects/approaches as well as demographics or regional players who contribute to da community as a whole.

SMH, some of y'all just want to argue to argue or hate yourselves.

Sneaker culture has always been an "urban" thing. In the 90s it was black and latinos lining up or having mad shoes, white people weren't out there waiting on line and ****. I don't give a **** about white people designing or making shoes. I don't give a **** about some white celebs wearing a few shoes. White people looked at you crazy if you had 10-20 pairs of shoes. Let's not play stupid and like y'all were in elementary or high school and white kids had 20-30 pairs of shoes cause they didn't. I've literally had white people tell me that other white people made fun of them for having a few pairs of shoes and saying they wanted to be black. Like come on, y'all sound crazy as hell. 2010+ is when you started seeing mad white kids wearing mad shoes and ****.

Sneaker culture has always been an "urban" thing.

what about Vans? does their historic heritage not merit mention in da vanguard halls of all things sneaker culture?

I could give a damn about em, but i cant act like they don't have a lonnnnnnnng history...

sneakers are like cars, they'res one for every type of purpose or style of everyone.

muscle cars got history, but so do beetles...i think we can't lose focus over that...we're NT, but we're merely a planet in da overall solar system.

You’ll never see me, my kids or my wife in Vans

and I feel you, however it doesn't negate nor invalidate Vans rightful place in da pantheon of sneaker culture, and we know thats all burby white people ish.

Back
Top Bottom