Gay Rights slams Kobe-- "what a disgrace" Kobe gets fined 100k

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

Why? You guys say don't compare it to the civil rights movement...WHY???

Black%20civil%20rights%20demonstrators%20attacked%20by%20police%20water%20hose_%20Birmingham,%20Alabama%20May%201963_jpg.jpg

vs.

0,1020,953541,00.jpg

that execution just gave me goosebumps....if rappers could only use pictures, you did it
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

there are different levels of minorities now?.. where do Asians, the disabled, & Native Americans rank up on this chart? 
nerd.gif

dj B Milk wrote:
Truth, there are differences, but human rights are human rights right? Wouldn't you agree that the right to be free of discrimination based immutable characteristics is equally as important whether that characteristic is race, sexual orientation, gender, disability, etc?

apparently not. 

there are different levels of minorities now?.. where do Asians, the disabled, & Native Americans rank up on this chart? 
nerd.gif

dj B Milk wrote:
Truth, there are differences, but human rights are human rights right? Wouldn't you agree that the right to be free of discrimination based immutable characteristics is equally as important whether that characteristic is race, sexual orientation, gender, disability, etc?

apparently not. 

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by TruthGetsBusy

Please stop comparing homosexuals to minorites especially african-americans. 
da gay groups STAY reaching for this comparison...all they gonna do is keep pissing people off in da process.
Pissing who off? Blacks that got their civil rights upheld by blacks who fought and died for them?
If those are the people getting pissed then I'm glad they are because it shows how lowly they think of other minority groups other than their own if they are unwilling to see the correlation between gays and blacks.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Please stop comparing homosexuals to minorites especially african-americans. 
da gay groups STAY reaching for this comparison...all they gonna do is keep pissing people off in da process.
Pissing who off? Blacks that got their civil rights upheld by blacks who fought and died for them?
If those are the people getting pissed then I'm glad they are because it shows how lowly they think of other minority groups other than their own if they are unwilling to see the correlation between gays and blacks.

I think people are picking favorites just because they relate to 1 group and not the other

Hasn't it occurred to you that it's entirely possible to be both?

I know that I reference this often, but I consider it tremendously important and it's certainly applicable in this situation:

In Dr. King's final Sunday sermon, the Drum Major Instinct, he describes his attempts to explain how poor Whites have been duped into accepting what Du Bois referred to as the "public and psychological wages of whiteness" to offset the material sacrifice they incurred as a result of their failure to accept people of color into their labor unions etc.  

“I always try to do a little converting when I'm in jail,

I think people are picking favorites just because they relate to 1 group and not the other

Hasn't it occurred to you that it's entirely possible to be both?

I know that I reference this often, but I consider it tremendously important and it's certainly applicable in this situation:

In Dr. King's final Sunday sermon, the Drum Major Instinct, he describes his attempts to explain how poor Whites have been duped into accepting what Du Bois referred to as the "public and psychological wages of whiteness" to offset the material sacrifice they incurred as a result of their failure to accept people of color into their labor unions etc.  

“I always try to do a little converting when I'm in jail,

So we're comparing the fight for freedom after centuries of oppression,persecution and slavery because of the color of a persons skin to someones sexual preference? Really?

For every example of Gays being attacked in today's society I could probably find 10 more examples of the same thing happening to minorities. There is a struggle but it doesn't compare to the struggle of entire RACES.

I understand the fight for gay rights,I really do but you just can't compare it to civil rights.

So we're comparing the fight for freedom after centuries of oppression,persecution and slavery because of the color of a persons skin to someones sexual preference? Really?

For every example of Gays being attacked in today's society I could probably find 10 more examples of the same thing happening to minorities. There is a struggle but it doesn't compare to the struggle of entire RACES.

I understand the fight for gay rights,I really do but you just can't compare it to civil rights.

Deuce King wrote:
I can understand Gays being offended by calling someone a %*+, and they have every right to, but don't even put that on the same level as racism. 
Agreed.  For everyone in here, please DO NOT compare the civil rights movement of the past and even current state to the homosexual movement of today.  It's truly not the same, not even close.  It would be more beneficial if the people that are advocating for gay rights just stated what they feel and what they want without having to lean on the struggle and strife of the civil rights movement. 
  QFT.

kobe was wrong for what he said and its definitely inappropriate for anyone to say those words. but its asinine to even compare all of this to the civil rights. think about this, there are no restrooms that segregate homosexuals or no one tells them to sit in a certain place on a bus.

Deuce King wrote:
I can understand Gays being offended by calling someone a %*+, and they have every right to, but don't even put that on the same level as racism. 
Agreed.  For everyone in here, please DO NOT compare the civil rights movement of the past and even current state to the homosexual movement of today.  It's truly not the same, not even close.  It would be more beneficial if the people that are advocating for gay rights just stated what they feel and what they want without having to lean on the struggle and strife of the civil rights movement. 
  QFT.

kobe was wrong for what he said and its definitely inappropriate for anyone to say those words. but its asinine to even compare all of this to the civil rights. think about this, there are no restrooms that segregate homosexuals or no one tells them to sit in a certain place on a bus.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

You can't be serious? Skin vs sexual preference. 
grin.gif

Actually gay people don't have it that bad.  People that act out for attention and dress outside of social norms are bashed, but that has nothing to do with sexual preference.  If a straight kid has a green mohawk then he's gonna get called names.  It's only the flamboyant and "look at me" gays that get attacked or bashed 95% of the time.  So I don't wanna hear this "hiding" who you are non-sense.  If you step outside of social norms with fashion and behavior then you will have negetive comments directed to you.  Gay or straight. 

Being a minority is completely different.  I can't go anywhere without people knowing I'm black.  Different ball game.

CorrectiveRapeVictim.jpg

So the corrective rapes and assaults on lesbians in South Africa....is because they dress too loud and out of the social norm?

Why don't hipsters get assaulted as much? People in the music industry (eg. Kanye) and prince dress very flambouyant, why don't they get. What exactly is the social norms of how one should dress? Let's hear it smart one.

First of all I said 95% of the time.  Whatever brutal pics you wanna post were probably in that 5%.  Plus that's in South Africa don't bring other cultures into this discussion.  I was speaking on America. 

Second I was speaking on verbal abuse...because that is what started this thread correct?...And Kanye, Prince, and Hipsters ARE made fun of for their looks and dress.  I'm 100% positive Prince and Kanye have been called the f-word. 

Third don't act like you don't understand social norms.  Are you blind? Are you new to this country?  For example a woman wearing a dress is normal.  If a man decides to leave his house and wear a dress then he better be able to deal with the consequences.  Does he deserve to be a victim of violence? Hell no but people will make comments and that's the way it is. 

LOL corrective rapes don't happen in this country, this country is actually more tolerant of homosexuality than most.....so how exactly is this 5 percent of the time. simple math.

How many gay people do you know wear a dress?
ohwell.gif

And you claim they don't deserve violence yet you go out of your way to make reaching excuses and justify why they may be subjected to such violence.

Kanye, Prince and Hipsters get made fun of for their looks, yet there are millions and millions of people who emulate them, so where are the social norms there? You mean the social norms of the person who doesn't dress like them? What exactly is the "prototypical" dressing style that everyone in society should abide by? Long white tees and rocawear jeans?

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

You can't be serious? Skin vs sexual preference. 
grin.gif

Actually gay people don't have it that bad.  People that act out for attention and dress outside of social norms are bashed, but that has nothing to do with sexual preference.  If a straight kid has a green mohawk then he's gonna get called names.  It's only the flamboyant and "look at me" gays that get attacked or bashed 95% of the time.  So I don't wanna hear this "hiding" who you are non-sense.  If you step outside of social norms with fashion and behavior then you will have negetive comments directed to you.  Gay or straight. 

Being a minority is completely different.  I can't go anywhere without people knowing I'm black.  Different ball game.

CorrectiveRapeVictim.jpg

So the corrective rapes and assaults on lesbians in South Africa....is because they dress too loud and out of the social norm?

Why don't hipsters get assaulted as much? People in the music industry (eg. Kanye) and prince dress very flambouyant, why don't they get. What exactly is the social norms of how one should dress? Let's hear it smart one.

First of all I said 95% of the time.  Whatever brutal pics you wanna post were probably in that 5%.  Plus that's in South Africa don't bring other cultures into this discussion.  I was speaking on America. 

Second I was speaking on verbal abuse...because that is what started this thread correct?...And Kanye, Prince, and Hipsters ARE made fun of for their looks and dress.  I'm 100% positive Prince and Kanye have been called the f-word. 

Third don't act like you don't understand social norms.  Are you blind? Are you new to this country?  For example a woman wearing a dress is normal.  If a man decides to leave his house and wear a dress then he better be able to deal with the consequences.  Does he deserve to be a victim of violence? Hell no but people will make comments and that's the way it is. 

LOL corrective rapes don't happen in this country, this country is actually more tolerant of homosexuality than most.....so how exactly is this 5 percent of the time. simple math.

How many gay people do you know wear a dress?
ohwell.gif

And you claim they don't deserve violence yet you go out of your way to make reaching excuses and justify why they may be subjected to such violence.

Kanye, Prince and Hipsters get made fun of for their looks, yet there are millions and millions of people who emulate them, so where are the social norms there? You mean the social norms of the person who doesn't dress like them? What exactly is the "prototypical" dressing style that everyone in society should abide by? Long white tees and rocawear jeans?

Originally Posted by Rolaholic

Just because it statistically has happened to more people, doesn't make it any better or worse.  Injustice is injustice.

Just because it statistically has happened to more people, doesn't make it any better or worse.  Injustice is injustice.

I knew Rex was going to get %#*$ on when I saw his first comment
laugh.gif

I was so confused...

Comparing civil rights struggles is a pointless endeavor. Why not just be for civil rights in any way possible? If that includes invoking the 50s and 60s and King, why the hell not? It's for a good cause right? Right?

Originally Posted by eaalto

that's all we're saying but people in here are acting like first born children who feel they have been neglected after the birth of their baby siblings. No one is comparing the black severity of the black civil rights movement with that of gays, they are completely different. But there is nothing wrong with using one as an inspiration for the other....after all that is what MLK did with Gandhi.

I knew Rex was going to get %#*$ on when I saw his first comment
laugh.gif

I was so confused...

Comparing civil rights struggles is a pointless endeavor. Why not just be for civil rights in any way possible? If that includes invoking the 50s and 60s and King, why the hell not? It's for a good cause right? Right?

Originally Posted by eaalto

that's all we're saying but people in here are acting like first born children who feel they have been neglected after the birth of their baby siblings. No one is comparing the black severity of the black civil rights movement with that of gays, they are completely different. But there is nothing wrong with using one as an inspiration for the other....after all that is what MLK did with Gandhi.

You wanna know why they don't have it as bad? Because of the progress Blacks made during the civil rights movement. Actually gays have it worse than blacks in other countries. In Nigeria for instance you will be sentenced to death for engaging in homosexual activities or pronouncing your homosexual orientation. Your example is lousy because you're implying that people who do those types of things only do it for attention. Hell is it a stretch to think that the kid with the green mohawk actually likes his hair that way? You think he says to himself "how can I get bashed today for being different?"  If that is so then why is the word f****t and gay so prominent in most people's vocabulary? I hardly believe they see that many flamboyant gay people to even be able to say that word on most occasions. When people say those words they are bashing the gay community indirectly. Often implying that they themselves are better than them which is why they would use those words to describe another person.
Yes you will get comments thrown at you but it is up to the individual saying the comments for the comments to be negative or positive. 
You saying that you will get negative comments for being different is what is wrong with society. There is a lot of sheep in our modern society. They are afraid of being different and upholding their individuality. Whatever they perceive as different they call it "weird." Rather than accepting that person's right to be different they will bash it because they are unfamiliar with it.

No actually it's not a different ball game. People don't know you're black. All they know is that you have dark skin.
They can make the assumption that you're black of their own valor as people can assume another person is gay because of their interests.

I'm sorry but I'm only using AMERICAN culture to base my opinions on.  I really can't speak on Nigeria, South Africa, or any other country.

If you choose to look like a peacock don't get made when others look and comment.  How hard is that? I don't know why some people do the things they do but it has nothing to do with their sexual preference.  Fashion is a choice.  or is that something you're born with too
laugh.gif
  I'm all for people being themselves but certain choices will come with certain responses.  Sorry that's life

Did you really try to get specific and say people don't know I'm black?  Bottomline is I can't hide my skin.  Do you understand that? Thats something I was born with.  A tall person who stands out in a crowd can't control his height.  A gay person? hmmmm you tell me the difference.

I'm all for equal human rights but don't compare blacks to gays simple as that. 

You wanna know why they don't have it as bad? Because of the progress Blacks made during the civil rights movement. Actually gays have it worse than blacks in other countries. In Nigeria for instance you will be sentenced to death for engaging in homosexual activities or pronouncing your homosexual orientation. Your example is lousy because you're implying that people who do those types of things only do it for attention. Hell is it a stretch to think that the kid with the green mohawk actually likes his hair that way? You think he says to himself "how can I get bashed today for being different?"  If that is so then why is the word f****t and gay so prominent in most people's vocabulary? I hardly believe they see that many flamboyant gay people to even be able to say that word on most occasions. When people say those words they are bashing the gay community indirectly. Often implying that they themselves are better than them which is why they would use those words to describe another person.
Yes you will get comments thrown at you but it is up to the individual saying the comments for the comments to be negative or positive. 
You saying that you will get negative comments for being different is what is wrong with society. There is a lot of sheep in our modern society. They are afraid of being different and upholding their individuality. Whatever they perceive as different they call it "weird." Rather than accepting that person's right to be different they will bash it because they are unfamiliar with it.

No actually it's not a different ball game. People don't know you're black. All they know is that you have dark skin.
They can make the assumption that you're black of their own valor as people can assume another person is gay because of their interests.

I'm sorry but I'm only using AMERICAN culture to base my opinions on.  I really can't speak on Nigeria, South Africa, or any other country.

If you choose to look like a peacock don't get made when others look and comment.  How hard is that? I don't know why some people do the things they do but it has nothing to do with their sexual preference.  Fashion is a choice.  or is that something you're born with too
laugh.gif
  I'm all for people being themselves but certain choices will come with certain responses.  Sorry that's life

Did you really try to get specific and say people don't know I'm black?  Bottomline is I can't hide my skin.  Do you understand that? Thats something I was born with.  A tall person who stands out in a crowd can't control his height.  A gay person? hmmmm you tell me the difference.

Why just because blacks had it harder?
The end result is the same. Which is: OBTAINING RIGHTS THAT GAYS AND BLACKS SHOULD HAVE ALREADY HAD!
I'm not comparing the severity of any of these groups struggles because at the end of the day that doesn't matter. 
The reason why that doesn't matter is because the end result of these groups' struggles is what matters.
The people saying don't compare gays to blacks because of the blacks struggles were greater need to look at the bigger picture.
Which is what I uppercased above.

Why just because blacks had it harder?
The end result is the same. Which is: OBTAINING RIGHTS THAT GAYS AND BLACKS SHOULD HAVE ALREADY HAD!
I'm not comparing the severity of any of these groups struggles because at the end of the day that doesn't matter. 
The reason why that doesn't matter is because the end result of these groups' struggles is what matters.
The people saying don't compare gays to blacks because of the blacks struggles were greater need to look at the bigger picture.
Which is what I uppercased above.

laugh.gif

You're black=can't hide your skin, so are you implying that gay people are less entitled to justice because they can choose not to express their love in public. You're essentially saying if you had the chance to hide who you are like gay people, your life would be all better. Do you know what it feels like to have to hide who you are? No one is asking you to hide your skin, and no one should tell gay people how to express themselves.

lol @ you acting like homosexuals are the only people that peacock, not even sure why you keep bringing this up. Is peacocking exclusive to homosexuals?

douchebags_turkey.jpg

Certain choices come with certain consequences eh?

The ignorance and lack of perspective in this thread is mind-blowing, but such is life.

Back
Top Bottom