Give/Show examples of the decline of quality in Jordan retros...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj proto j

Banned
ALL i hear anymore is how the quality of retros now is so much worse than OG's and previous retros. but then yesterday i saw someone show graphic evidence of how the 2010 infrared VI was on par with, if not better quality than the OG (it was clear in the pix of the OG that the excess glue, glue stains, sloppy paint jobs, etc., were all still there back then, in fact it was worse).

i also noticed the outrage against the black/infrared VI not having durabuck. but we've had 2 threads now with dozens of people saying that after 6 months of having the varsity reds with the same nubuck material (that's right, it's nubuck, not suede, jb and nike have confirmed this), they are holding up just fine after 30+ wears in some cases. no creasing, easily cleaned off, no wrinkles, no fading, still jet black instead of charcoal grey looking like durabuck, many reporting they still look DS after many, many wears... meanwhile tho, you got guys acting like that material is the worst evar and completely discredits the whole pack.

so it's got me wondering, how much of this is real vs. how much of this is lil' "sneakerheads" just repeating what they hear others say, loving to have something to complain about, but don't actually know what they're talking about.

i know some releases probably are poorer quality, it definitely happens with nikes. i definitely feel like my air max 95's i bought in the 90's feel better, and less stiff than the recent retros (and i still wear my neon 95's from '99's retro so i have a current reference point to compare with, it's not based off memory, which can be way off).

but i'd love to see some examples of this in jordans. specifically graphically, with close up pix and everything (shapes being off, glue problems, crap paint jobs, etc.)

ALL i hear anymore is how the quality of retros now is so much worse than OG's and previous retros. but then yesterday i saw someone show graphic evidence of how the 2010 infrared VI was on par with, if not better quality than the OG (it was clear in the pix of the OG that the excess glue, glue stains, sloppy paint jobs, etc., were all still there back then, in fact it was worse).

i also noticed the outrage against the black/infrared VI not having durabuck. but we've had 2 threads now with dozens of people saying that after 6 months of having the varsity reds with the same nubuck material (that's right, it's nubuck, not suede, jb and nike have confirmed this), they are holding up just fine after 30+ wears in some cases. no creasing, easily cleaned off, no wrinkles, no fading, still jet black instead of charcoal grey looking like durabuck, many reporting they still look DS after many, many wears... meanwhile tho, you got guys acting like that material is the worst evar and completely discredits the whole pack.

so it's got me wondering, how much of this is real vs. how much of this is lil' "sneakerheads" just repeating what they hear others say, loving to have something to complain about, but don't actually know what they're talking about.

i know some releases probably are poorer quality, it definitely happens with nikes. i definitely feel like my air max 95's i bought in the 90's feel better, and less stiff than the recent retros (and i still wear my neon 95's from '99's retro so i have a current reference point to compare with, it's not based off memory, which can be way off).

but i'd love to see some examples of this in jordans. specifically graphically, with close up pix and everything (shapes being off, glue problems, crap paint jobs, etc.)

What I've learned from being on Nt is that 75% of the people who talk about quality have no idea what they are talking about.

Examples:

- Just because a shoe has a different material than it did in the past, it does not mean the quality is any less. None of you are leather experts and none of you have a single clue of how much these materials cost.

- Just because a shoes toebox creases, it doesn't mean it is a bad quality shoe.

- Just because a shoe has slightly less padding does not mean it is bad quality. Go look at some OG Jordan 1s in comparison to newer 1s, or some older 3s in comparison to the cdp's.

To this day my only complaint is when paint chips off after a few wears. Fix that and I would shut my mouth forever about quality.

What I've learned from being on Nt is that 75% of the people who talk about quality have no idea what they are talking about.

Examples:

- Just because a shoe has a different material than it did in the past, it does not mean the quality is any less. None of you are leather experts and none of you have a single clue of how much these materials cost.

- Just because a shoes toebox creases, it doesn't mean it is a bad quality shoe.

- Just because a shoe has slightly less padding does not mean it is bad quality. Go look at some OG Jordan 1s in comparison to newer 1s, or some older 3s in comparison to the cdp's.

To this day my only complaint is when paint chips off after a few wears. Fix that and I would shut my mouth forever about quality.

Originally Posted by dtb00201

Examples:

THIS^ The Complaint really is chipping Paint, and Plastic Feeling Leather like on the CDP XI's. If only they dyed through the Foam like they used to instead of chipping Paint. 95% of complains would go away.

Originally Posted by dtb00201

Examples:

THIS^ The Complaint really is chipping Paint, and Plastic Feeling Leather like on the CDP XI's. If only they dyed through the Foam like they used to instead of chipping Paint. 95% of complains would go away.

Originally Posted by DJ Proto J

Great topic, but...

Let the ignorance begin...

Great topic, but...

Let the ignorance begin...

QFT

QFT

I can't speak on everything, especially the real old stuff, but more than anything the changes of leather seem to be pretty drastic.

Take the 12's for example, both the OG's and first retro run had glorious, buttery soft tumbled leather, which wasn't even attempted on the CDP/2009 retros. I still have some Obsidian Lows from the 1st run of retros and it's truly pathetic how the CDP Taxi's and 09 White/Reds compare.

I can't speak on everything, especially the real old stuff, but more than anything the changes of leather seem to be pretty drastic.

Take the 12's for example, both the OG's and first retro run had glorious, buttery soft tumbled leather, which wasn't even attempted on the CDP/2009 retros. I still have some Obsidian Lows from the 1st run of retros and it's truly pathetic how the CDP Taxi's and 09 White/Reds compare.

back in the day jordans were to ball in, it seems as if now they starting to make them for casual wear

back in the day jordans were to ball in, it seems as if now they starting to make them for casual wear

Well Lets face it the quality of certain retros that JB does is not great, Prime Example Jordan II recent retro. Then we have releases that IMO are way better then the Originals like the White Infrared. Leather is spot on and everything loooks great. I think you have to pick and choose which selections to buy. It seems to me that on some of the OG colorways JB goes cheap on materials cause they know people are gonna buy. EX. II og Colorway and Anniversary IIs. Anniversary IIs have much better quality and are made almost the same as the 2004 release of the OG colorway. Another example is the Powder Blue IXs and the citrus IXs, Citrus joints are again IMO better quality materials. I think JB knows the fact that alot of people are just getting into the Jordan Game and they know that they can make the OG colorways like that cause Newbies are gonna buy them. Not me i look for quality unless it is a pair that is a must Cop like the COOL GREYS. Regardless of what the quality is i gotta get another pair.

Well Lets face it the quality of certain retros that JB does is not great, Prime Example Jordan II recent retro. Then we have releases that IMO are way better then the Originals like the White Infrared. Leather is spot on and everything loooks great. I think you have to pick and choose which selections to buy. It seems to me that on some of the OG colorways JB goes cheap on materials cause they know people are gonna buy. EX. II og Colorway and Anniversary IIs. Anniversary IIs have much better quality and are made almost the same as the 2004 release of the OG colorway. Another example is the Powder Blue IXs and the citrus IXs, Citrus joints are again IMO better quality materials. I think JB knows the fact that alot of people are just getting into the Jordan Game and they know that they can make the OG colorways like that cause Newbies are gonna buy them. Not me i look for quality unless it is a pair that is a must Cop like the COOL GREYS. Regardless of what the quality is i gotta get another pair.

honestly, ive been reading this nubuck, durabuck, suede material issue. but i dont really know the difference. photo comparisons would be great. and "zapatohead408" you are right. it really seems like they make retros nowadays for consumers to rock not play ball in. coz they know that nobody really ball in 150+ $ kicks anymore. its kinda stupid if you do. imo.. i wore my white vreds yesterday for bout 4-6 hours walkin around the mall. all the way laced up. nd it barely crease. i was suprise.. i think these materials they put out is great nd deff. worth the money.. but then agen i wouldnt really know coz i didnt experience the OG touch.,,

honestly, ive been reading this nubuck, durabuck, suede material issue. but i dont really know the difference. photo comparisons would be great. and "zapatohead408" you are right. it really seems like they make retros nowadays for consumers to rock not play ball in. coz they know that nobody really ball in 150+ $ kicks anymore. its kinda stupid if you do. imo.. i wore my white vreds yesterday for bout 4-6 hours walkin around the mall. all the way laced up. nd it barely crease. i was suprise.. i think these materials they put out is great nd deff. worth the money.. but then agen i wouldnt really know coz i didnt experience the OG touch.,,

All I will say is that the leather is of very poor quality. You can't argue that.

I'll add to what GG said... Dye through the foam and give me high quality leather.

But I never complain about the quality. I just won't buy them. I wouldn't buy a dress shirt for work that's crap quality and I won't buy shoes for the weekend that aren't worth it either.

All I will say is that the leather is of very poor quality. You can't argue that.

I'll add to what GG said... Dye through the foam and give me high quality leather.

But I never complain about the quality. I just won't buy them. I wouldn't buy a dress shirt for work that's crap quality and I won't buy shoes for the weekend that aren't worth it either.

Nubuck and durabuck aren't bad materials at all. The thing is, you should treat those types of materials before wearing them for the first time and at least every other month or so to keep up appearances. I think that some retros should've kept their original leather, like the VIs & the bred XIIs. I agree that the reason for the shift is because that retros tend to be used for casual wear and collecting rather than for actual play.

Nubuck and durabuck aren't bad materials at all. The thing is, you should treat those types of materials before wearing them for the first time and at least every other month or so to keep up appearances. I think that some retros should've kept their original leather, like the VIs & the bred XIIs. I agree that the reason for the shift is because that retros tend to be used for casual wear and collecting rather than for actual play.

Jordan's used to be made for hooping purposes. I feel like a majority of people copping now are just for casual wear or to keep ds anyways. 
As far as quality goes, I don't think it is any secret that the leather is harder and creases easier. And yes, the paint chipping is the worst. I do think that the leather and paint could be better, but other than that, I'm not trippin.

Jordan's used to be made for hooping purposes. I feel like a majority of people copping now are just for casual wear or to keep ds anyways. 
As far as quality goes, I don't think it is any secret that the leather is harder and creases easier. And yes, the paint chipping is the worst. I do think that the leather and paint could be better, but other than that, I'm not trippin.

this is a very good topic to bring up, Proto. i agree with GG that the paint chipping/cracking is the real issue. i wore my aqua 3 TIMES and the paint started cracking like crazy. totally broke my heart. other than that, my only other complaint is the lack of pinky toe room in certain kicks. (CDP XI, Playoff VIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom