Golden Gate Bridge Suicide Jumpers

Originally Posted by Biggie62

If you land feet first and keep yourself straight there's a chance you could break your legs but survive. Landing any other way will probably kill you.

How would you swim afterwards though...

Originally Posted by Mr Kuter

Originally Posted by GTEK

Damn.
smh.gif

I always thought it was
"Build a bridge and get over it"
not
"Build a bridge and jump the hell off"
laugh.gif

I wouldn't waste any energy to mourn for these people though...
Who knows what actions they committed, being so they can't sleep at night.

But on the other end what kind of world we live in today
where folks even ramble up the thought of jumping off a bridge.....

How many more cows are going to have to jump off the cliffedge before we change the route?

ed7154e8585535f0455dae7e8938e9aeef38482.gif

Youre better than that.

Im just being real fam.

Who knows what is the cause for these people wanting to end their lives.
Maybe that old dude hung somebody back in '42 and it was eating him alive everyday...
maybe the cat in the black trench coat molested and raped a couple of children...
you don't know the predicament that these people minds are in for them to be
that close to a forceful death, that was my reasoning for that statement.
Like I said before I would rather not waste my energy in mourning or feeling sorry
for people who decide to such things.
I'm here to help those who are dying to live, not dying to die.
All a person can do to another is help bring them to attention and essentially consciousness.
One cannot occupy another's time and space...neither can they save someone from themselves.
And those who try to do such are wasting much useful energy that can be directed
towards more possible tasks.

its sad but very interesting. I always wanted to know what it looks like (the aftermath) of someone who jumped from abuilding but Im too scared to look...

anyway. if you feelin down and suicidal, please look for help. PM me.

These people just seek that attention.....

so I made a joke about them getting that fame they might desire. Cause you can take your self out in the comort of your sofa...

GTEK wrote:

GTEK wrote:
Damn.
smh.gif

I always thought it was
not
laugh.gif

How many more cows are going to have to jump off the cliffedge before we change the route?

Youre better than that.

Im just being real fam.

Maybe that old dude hung somebody back in '42 and it was eating him alive everyday...
maybe the cat in the black trench coat molested and raped a couple of children...
Like I said before I would rather not waste my energy in mourning or feeling sorry
All a person can do to another is help bring them to attention and essentially consciousness.
One cannot occupy another's time and space...neither can they save someone from themselves.
And those who try to do such are wasting much useful energy that can be directed

Or

maybe the dude in the black coat was molested himself as a child and no one ever tried to help him (or worse yet he was told it was his fault)

maybe the old man's wife pasted away and he just wanted to go see her in heaven again

or maybe the old man had his whole family murdered and didnt see the point of living on earth anymore

the point is no one knows what goes through the mind of another person and no one can truly know why someone commits suicide.

one thing that is for certain however, is that it to try and put motivates of people for their actions then use those made up motives as a tool of judgement is despicable.

I just cant beleive they just jump off in the middle of the day with people walking right beside them. Gotta check that movie out, some crazy stuff.

Originally Posted by AKA King Arthur

GTEK wrote:

GTEK wrote:
Damn.
smh.gif

I always thought it was
not
laugh.gif

Youre better than that.

Im just being real fam.

Or

maybe the dude in the black coat was molested himself as a child and no one ever tried to help him (or worse yet he was told it was his fault)

maybe the old man's wife pasted away and he just wanted to go see her in heaven again

or maybe the old man had his whole family murdered and didnt see the point of living on earth anymore

the point is no one knows what goes through the mind of another person and no one can truly know why someone commits suicide.

one thing that is for certain however, is that it to try and put motivates of people for their actions then use those made up motives as a tool of judgement is despicable.

When did I say or do that?

I was just stating examples as reasoning for my quoted statement.
Of course it goes both ways.
But If these people trully knew anything about life..then they would know the value of one.
As I stated before it is foolish to try and occupy someone else's time and space
because it is impossible. Only they can live their life.
I would much rather the sympathy and attention somewhere else.

GTEK:
Or maybe old dude has just faced a reality he has been trying to sweep under the rug for years: that the woman he's been married to for decades has had multiple affairs.

Maybe dude in the trenchcoat is socially awkward/behind, and he's always just pretended to ignore our laughs as he ket his face buried in book after book.

Presuming something negative about a person while maintaining a lack of emotion towards them because you don't know them is a flawed line of reasoning. That's my first problem w/ what you've said.

My second issue is in the apparent eagerness to help those 'dying to live' right now, as if it's not possible that the company of people you help at any point in time includes a child molester or some dude who hung someone back in '42.

Me personally, I know this about everyone who has committed suicide: they put an end to some sort of trouble in their life.

And I know there are people struggling to live through certain troubles right now, and they could really use some empathy and encouragement.

To tell you the truth, ill be into much shock to even stop a person doing this....then regret it forever.

Wow.. That's incredibly sad.

My heart sunk watching those people jump.

On another sad note.

Do yall remember the Heaven's Gate suicide group? THAT %*%% was insaneeee

What I don't understand is this....

The director filmed these people committing suicide? How can you just stand by and witness that? Isn't there a Good Samaritan law? Either way that's just disgusting and sick, the man deserves to be put in jail.

Just crossed it a few minutes ago on a delivery

after seeing the documentary a couple years back, I just Don't feel the sense of excitement crossing the bridge like I used to when I was a kid. It was kinda like a treat each time cuz we rarely had a reason for going to the north bay. Now, lookin at it, it's weird knowing that I'm using something that hundreds of people used to take their lives.

Originally Posted by MaZA4eVeR14

after seeing the documentary a couple years back, I just Don't feel the sense of excitement crossing the bridge like I used to when I was a kid. It was kinda like a treat each time cuz we rarely had a reason for going to the north bay. Now, lookin at it, it's weird knowing that I'm using something that hundreds of people used to take their lives.

Its just a bridge for pete sakes.
laugh.gif

It is what you make it.
You have some people that just drag themselves up their just for the tradition.
I wonder how many people jump off the Bay bridge?
Exactly.

http://www.youtube.com/v/JlSsbNc0_u0&fs=1&source=uds&autoplay=0http://www.youtube.com/v/JlSsbNc0_u0&fs=1&source=uds&autoplay=0

rjones416 wrote:
why dont they put a fence up?
they have now

there are a lot of new suicide prevention renevations now

i dont know if its cause of the movie or not but it is harder to jump off the bridge now than it use to be

Originally Posted by GTEK

Originally Posted by MaZA4eVeR14

Its just a bridge for pete sakes.
laugh.gif

It is what you make it.
You have some people that just drag themselves up their just for the tradition.
I wonder how many people jump off the Bay bridge?
Exactly.

I'm sure it helps that pedestrians are allowed on the GG.
When the new Bay Bridge span opens, I'm sure they'll have suicides as well due to the side walkway.

i read more on wiki about it here is what wiki said bout a safeguard:
"Strong appeals for a suicide barrier, fence, or other preventive measures were raised once again by a well-organized vocal minority of psychiatry professionals, suicide barrier consultants, and families of jumpers after the release of the controversial 2006 documentary film The Bridge, in which filmmaker Eric Steel and his production crew spent one year (2004) filming the bridge from several vantage points, capturing a number of suicide jumps, most notably that of Gene Sprague as well as a handful of thwarted attempts. The film also contained interviews with surviving family members of those who jumped; interviews with witnesses; and, in one segment, an interview with Kevin Hines who, as a 19-year-old in 2000, survived a suicide plunge from the span and is now a vocal advocate for some type of bridge barrier or net to prevent such incidents from occurring.
On October 10, 2008, the Golden Gate Bridge Board of Directors voted 14 to 1 to install a plastic-covered stainless-steel net below the bridge as a suicide deterrent. The net will extend 20 feet (6 m) on either side of the bridge and is expected to cost $40–50 million to complete.[sup][54][/sup][sup][55][/sup] However, lack of funding could delay the net's construction.[sup][56]"[/sup]

[sup]
[/sup]

[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Gate_Bridge#Suicides[/sup]

[sup]
[/sup]

[sup]
[/sup]

Back
Top Bottom