Golden Gate Bridge Suicide Jumpers

I watched this a couple years back and hat guy in all black was super depressed. Always mentioning suicide for years before this happened.

Bleezys and Heem wrote:

To the people laughing and having no sympathy for these people - I understand, but if you mom or someone close to you did this - I bet you would try to understand or atleast feel some remorse. These people's soul just gets lost along the way - they just need a lot of help to get it back.

Real talk.

I also think that it's terribly selfish of that person to do such a thing. Makes me feel so pissed b/c they are given the choice to die, whereas kids with cancer and other diseases are out there fighting for their life. There's so many emotions involved with suicide. But I've never been low enough to feel like ending it all, so I can't know what they are going through.

Just think of who's life they could have impacted in a good way if they didn't do it? But I guess they think the opposite.

Originally Posted by filipin0y

golden-gate-bridge-jumper.jpg
peep the kicks....
nerd.gif

eek.gif
laugh.gif
.. ML your crazy man
dude probably got Demoded
smh.gif

Sad stuff.

Mental illness/serious depression is some crazy stuff. Some people who have never been through it or don't know anyone who has suffered from it, seem to think they should instantly "get happy". It doesn't work like that. It's sad that they think this is the only or easiest way out of it.

Originally Posted by topherr

did not kno that many people did that. sanfran is crzy
People from all over the world come to that bridge to do it, its not like only SFers who are the ones committing suicide off the GG Bridge.

Originally Posted by Prostaffer

Please don't take this the wrong way. Maybe there is no way to say this without sounding insensitive but...

Isn't depression a real problem in the gay community? Or is thereanother reason why SO MANY people choose that bridge in that area?

as for the dying. i suspect they get knocked out from impact and drown.Or can't swim due to broken bones once they realize this sucks worsethan living.

See above.
A buddy of mine from HS jumped off the GG about 2 years ago. He was thestarting point guard for our bball team and was a popular dude backthen and was a good dude. I hadn't talked to him since we left HS and Iguess he had developed a drug problem (meth) and was really depressed.They said he parked his car and just sprinted towards the bridge - thecameras saw him running and then he jumped. Such a shame because I'msure whatever he was depressed about could have been worked out one wayor another. His family is so hurt now, if only these people would thinkabout their families - no matter what you are going through - mostpeople have people who love them and would do all the help they could,but I guess when you get to this point you feel you're all alone andjust can't take it anymore.

To the people laughing and having no sympathy for these people - Iunderstand, but if you mom or someone close to you did this - I bet youwould try to understand or atleast feel some remorse. These people'ssoul just gets lost along the way - they just need a lot of help to getit back.
Acalanes? I think I've spoken to you before....different SN?

filipin0y:
golden-gate-bridge-jumper.jpg
peep the kicks....
"My man, let's get yo back up here one step at a time. First step, remove your shoes and let's get them up here."

laugh.gif

I dont understand though lets say someone pushed you into the river or if someone dives over and does the proper form hands first body straight etc how do they survive.

If you land feet first and keep yourself straight there's a chance you could break your legs but survive. Landing any other way will probably kill you.

Suicides

As a suicide prevention initiative, this sign promotes a special telephone available on the bridge that connects to a crisis hotline.

The Golden Gate Bridge is the most popular place to commit suicide in the United States[sup][42][/sup] and is one of the most popular in the world.[sup][43][/sup] The deck is approximately 245 feet (75 m) above the water.[sup][44][/sup] After a fall of approximately four seconds, jumpers hit the water at some 76 miles per hour (122 km/h). At such a speed, water has proven to take on the properties similar but not equal to concrete. Because of this, most jumpers die on their immediate contact with the water. The few who survive the initial impact generally drown or die of hypothermia in the cold water.

An official suicide count was kept, sorted according to which of the bridge's 128 lamp posts the jumper was nearest when he or she jumped. By 2005, this count exceeded 1,200 and new suicides were averaging one every two weeks.[sup][45][/sup] For comparison, the reported second-most-popular place to commit suicide in the world, Aokigahara Forest in Japan, has a record of 78 bodies, found within the forest in 2002, with an average of 30 a year.[sup][46][/sup] There were 34 bridge-jump suicides in 2006 whose bodies were recovered, in addition to four jumps that were witnessed but whose bodies were never recovered, and several bodies recovered suspected to be from bridge jumps. The California Highway Patrol removed 70 apparently suicidal people from the bridge that year.[sup][47][/sup]

There is no accurate figure on the number of suicides or successful jumps since 1937, because many were not witnessed. People have been known to travel to San Francisco specifically to jump off the bridge, and may take a bus or cab to the site; police sometimes find abandoned rental cars in the parking lot. Currents beneath the bridge are very strong, and some jumpers have undoubtedly been washed out to sea without ever being seen. The water may be as cold as 47 °F (8 °C).

The fatality rate of jumping is roughly 98%. As of 2006, only 26 people are known to have survived the jump.[sup][45][/sup] Those who do survive strike the water feet-first and at a slight angle, although individuals may still sustain broken bones or internal injuries. One young man survived a jump in 1979, swam to shore, and drove himself to a hospital. The impact cracked several of his vertebrae.[sup][48][/sup]

Engineering professor Natalie Jeremijenko, as part of her Bureau of Inverse Technology art collective, created a "Despondency Index" by correlating the Dow Jones Industrial Average with the number of jumpers detected by "Suicide Boxes" containing motion-detecting cameras, which she claimed to have set up under the bridge.[sup][49][/sup] The boxes purportedly recorded 17 jumps in three months, far greater than the official count. The Whitney Museum, although questioning whether Jeremijenko's suicide-detection technology actually existed, nevertheless included her project in its prestigious Whitney Biennial.[sup][50][/sup]

Various methods have been proposed and implemented to reduce the number of suicides. The bridge is fitted with suicide hotline telephones, and staff patrol the bridge in carts, looking for people who appear to be planning to jump. Iron workers on the bridge also volunteer their time to prevent suicides by talking or wrestling down suicidal people.[sup][51][/sup] The bridge is now closed to pedestrians at night. Cyclists are still permitted across at night, but must be buzzed in and out through the remotely controlled security gates.[sup][52][/sup] Attempts to introduce a suicide barrier had been thwarted by engineering difficulties, high costs, and public opposition.[sup][53][/sup] One recurring proposal had been to build a barrier to replace or augment the low railing, a component of the bridge's original architectural design. New barriers have eliminated suicides at other landmarks around the world, but were opposed for the Golden Gate Bridge for reasons of cost, aesthetics, and safety (the load from a poorly designed barrier could significantly affect the bridge's structural integrity during a strong windstorm).

Strong appeals for a suicide barrier, fence, or other preventive measures were raised once again by a well-organized vocal minority of psychiatry professionals, suicide barrier consultants, and families of jumpers after the release of the controversial 2006 documentary film The Bridge, in which filmmaker Eric Steel and his production crew spent one year (2004) filming the bridge from several vantage points, capturing a number of suicide jumps, most notably that of Gene Sprague as well as a handful of thwarted attempts. The film also contained interviews with surviving family members of those who jumped; interviews with witnesses; and, in one segment, an interview with Kevin Hines who, as a 19-year-old in 2000, survived a suicide plunge from the span and is now a vocal advocate for some type of bridge barrier or net to prevent such incidents from occurring.

On October 10, 2008, the Golden Gate Bridge Board of Directors voted 14 to 1 to install a plastic-covered stainless-steel net below the bridge as a suicide deterrent. The net will extend 20 feet (6 m) on either side of the bridge and is expected to cost $40–50 million to complete.[sup][54][/sup][sup][55][/sup] However, lack of funding could delay the net's construction.[sup][56][/sup]

Those shots from the shore were you see the splash were crazy. And it's bugged how casual and nonchalant most of those ppl seemed.

Back
Top Bottom