Golden Gate Bridge Suicide Jumpers

damn shame.

it's worse if you actually survive the jump attempt only to live life as a vegetable.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

You win! You got me!
You have fully surpassed me at the Internet.
eyes.gif

You obviously don't have a opposing argument....
So what we talking bout?

Anyways......

Cats see a couple of bodies drop on Vid know they
get all sensitive and start opening up their hearts and what not....

Wake up.

These people threw themselves off a bridge, obviously they let it go and so should you.

40-50 mill on a fence to keep people from killing themselves?
That's whats wrong people keep looking from the outside...
the location or access to the bridge isn't the problem, its their mental state.
Why do these people feel the need to kill themselves?
Whats wrong?
You would be amazed at how similar the problems are.

I would rather save my sympathy and spend energy helping someone who is trying to pull
themselves up, instead of trying to prevent someone from forcefully letting
themselves go.
But maybe that's just me...

Originally Posted by PR0LiFiKz

I have no sympathy for these cowards what so ever...
smh.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I swear this is the "cool" thing to say on NT when it comes to threads like this. [/color]
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Why would the city spend 50 -60 million dollars to accommodate these idiots who care for no one but themselves?

Totally agree. I remember one day on a fishing charter out of the wharf. We were fishing for stripers under the bridge and the coast guard was circling around and the captain said casually "another jumper". So we reeled in and left. 

Suicide...long term solution, to a short term problem.

Suicide is seriously the most selfish thing that one can ever do. #**% is stupid, for real. You only get one life to live and you think your problems are bigger than family, friends, the world, the universe and all the amazing things one can see, do, hear, feel, etc in life.

Some children dont even get to live to realize/come to understand .1115th of any of that, but here YOU are, ready to END the life you were given.
smh.gif
...kill yourself.

Originally Posted by millionuppercuts

Originally Posted by rpjgator

Originally Posted by ccookielover49

so sad. I wonder why people dont try to stop them. But whats really crazy is how the Film maker could just sit by and Film suicide after suicide. like dude must have no emotions after that...
smh.gif
smh.gif

did anyone see how far the guy was from where they jumped? who says he didnt call someone and just keep a camera on them? why is it his job to see someone climb over the rail and go get them that would take forever for him to get there.....
im sure for his documentary he would have loved to interview someone who was about to jump whom he saved......

who says he didnt try to help?
I didn't watch the movie, but I read there is a scene where he films someone PACING FOR 90 MINUTES BEFORE JUMPING. That's INHUMANE. SERIOUSLY? If I was there I would tackle that person and keep them from jumping. I don't care what they do but If I'M THERE I AM NOT LETTING SOMEONE COMMIT SUICIDE IN MY PRESENCE. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night, how does the director?
This is so true, they were filming this Gene guy the whole time.  Although the police did ask them if he was fine, the director could've at least called them and let the cops know.  Throughout the whole film I think they stopped like 1 person from juming but yet filmed 23 suicide, they seem to care more about the film than other peoples lives. 

This GTEK dude is freakin ******ed and ignorant.

After knowing a few people that have committed suicide you still never truly understand it, but you know enough to not be so stupid and cold about it.

Yeah, it's their fault and they chose to do it, but maybe people around them didnt care enough to notice them going through something really tough.

Not everyone that commits suicide is at fault for the way they felt.

So GTEK needs to shut up cuz he sound real dumb.

No it is because people who commit suicide are selfish. They are egotistical and they believe that their life and death with have no impact on anyone. They do not think about the pain, confusion, and turmoil that they will leave on their family and friends. If you have ever had any close to you kill themselves, you would be very angry. The questions you ask yourself: "could I have done anything to have stopped them?" "What could have happened to make them do it?" "How will the family move on?"

You guys that have "no sympathy for these people" should really take a look at the film on Hulu before passing judgment on these people with serious problems

Originally Posted by eeibaby

so sad. I wonder why people dont try to stop them. But whats really crazy is how the Film maker could just sit by and Film suicide after suicide. like dude must have no emotions after that...
smh.gif
smh.gif

did anyone see how far the guy was from where they jumped? who says he didnt call someone and just keep a camera on them? why is it his job to see someone climb over the rail and go get them that would take forever for him to get there.....
im sure for his documentary he would have loved to interview someone who was about to jump whom he saved......

I didn't watch the movie, but I read there is a scene where he films someone PACING FOR 90 MINUTES BEFORE JUMPING. That's INHUMANE. SERIOUSLY? If I was there I would tackle that person and keep them from jumping. I don't care what they do but If I'M THERE I AM NOT LETTING SOMEONE COMMIT SUICIDE IN MY PRESENCE. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night, how does the director?
This is so true, they were filming this Gene guy the whole time.  Although the police did ask them if he was fine, the director could've at least called them and let the cops know.  Throughout the whole film I think they stopped like 1 person from juming but yet filmed 23 suicide, they seem to care more about the film than other peoples lives. 
If you guys had bothered to do any type of reading (even in this thread) or any type of research before assuming, you'd realize the filmmaker does attempt to call the police when he notices a guy that's likely to jump. For that particular guy, he was walking up and down the bridge, typical of a tourist. He wasn't just standing at one spot looking like he was going to hop the rail. If you even bothered to watch the movie or even the 6 minute video on the first page, you'd realize that the guy didn't look anything like a jumper up until the final moment when he hoisted himself up and dived immediately.

obviously there are many people posting that do not know what it feels like to be suicidal. i have never been, and i do agree that it is a very selfish act. but for some of you to sit here a give the
smh.gif
  or say "i have no sympathy" and look at them with disgust, just shows your failure to understand anything. by reading some of your posts i start to learn more and more how some of you have understandings, ideals, and concepts about life that were formed while sitting behind a computer screen. everyone has problems, many problems that others would not begin to understand. even though i know that my personal problems would never get bad enough for me to do that, it doesn't blind me from the fact that there are people out there who have a mental illness, some sort of negative inner feelings, many growing problems, or struggle in everyday life to the point where they feel something like this is the only solution.

Originally Posted by 916kings

On October 10, 2008, the Golden Gate Bridge Board of Directors voted 14 to 1 to install a plastic-covered stainless-steel net below the bridge as a suicide deterrent. The net will extend 20 feet (6 m) on either side of the bridge and is expected to cost $40–50 million to complete.[sup][54][/sup][sup][55][/sup] However, lack of funding could delay the net's construction.[sup][56][/sup]
If it's an actual net, that's probably one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. So they can just roll off the net once they jump on it? lol they need to just make the fences higher.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

smh.gif
smh.gif

If you guys had bothered to do any type of reading (even in this thread) or any type of research before assuming, you'd realize the filmmaker does attempt to call the police when he notices a guy that's likely to jump. For that particular guy, he was walking up and down the bridge, typical of a tourist. He wasn't just standing at one spot looking like he was going to hop the rail. If you even bothered to watch the movie or even the 6 minute video on the first page, you'd realize that the guy didn't look anything like a jumper up until the final moment when he hoisted himself up and dived immediately.
I watched the film but I did not know about the filmmaker actually cared and called. 

suicide is one of those things i've never really understood.

i know some people are going through alot in life and im sure that mindset that things are going to be eff'd up forever is in their head for whatever reason, but to end it all as if theirs no hope for better days is something i just can't figure out.

i've never hit rock bottom like some of these people have and hope that i never get close to hitting it, but truthfully its hard to say how you would react or handle life if you hit rock bottom and felt their was nothing to live for.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

smh.gif
smh.gif

heres what it says on Gene:

Sprague's last day alive was recorded and featured in the 2006 film The Bridge. He is a motif running throughout the film, with the final scene being his leap into the water. Sprague paced up and down the Golden Gate Bridgefor roughly 90 minutes, eventually jumping up on the rail and fallingbackwards into the water. According to the film's director, Eric Steel,"He walked from the south side to the north side, off the bridge, andthen back north to south, which is typical of what tourists do. Ididn't sense he would jump off the bridge, but there must have beensomething about him that caught my attention."[sup][7][/sup]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Sprague

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Why would the city spend 50 -60 million dollars to accommodate these idiots who care for no one but themselves?
How much would their life cost to a family? I think the family would pay twice that amount to bring them back if they had it.

smh.gif
smh.gif
The thing with suicide is that if someone truly wants to kill themselves, they'll find a way to do it.

man GTEK shut your *%$!%+$ *$% up...you know how it feels to have a suicide note from your father? no? then shut the %!%* up.

Are those who ask, "what drives people to commit suicide" literally blind? The answer was  blatant in the clip. There are people sitting on the railing with their feet on the non roadway side and others pass by like nothing is going on. If people are not willing to help or even be inquisitive as to what is going on in an extreme situation such as this, it's pretty safe to assume that people care even less when they come into contact with these folks in less extreme situations.

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

man GTEK shut your *%$!%+$ *$% up...you know how it feels to have a suicide note from your father? no? then shut the %!%* up.

This "it only matters if it hits close to home" logic is killing me right now.

Not to get to personal but yes, I've have had incidents of suicide within my close family
for those of you who uses that as their strong point in debating my opposition against such a act.

Suicide is suicide.
Whether its blood or a pedestrian...
it still doesn't adjust my leniency towards the action.

Back
Top Bottom