Have Jordans jumped the shark?

retros going on sale 
smokin.gif

That's a strong statement, my g.

People grow. People change.

Jordan brand grew... Jordan brand changed.
It did. And people's taste change as well, not faulting anyone for changing taste. It's just for me personally some things are ingrained in my psyche and are apart of me. Street Fighter will forever be a part of me. Marvel comics will forever be a part of me. Nike Air Jordan's will forever be a part of me.

Last edited:

thats stupid af. 

if i don't want to buy jordans now i never really liked them?
If jordan's don't appeal to you now that you're older and have the funds to acquire them, how did they ever appeal to you in the first place? Was it something you liked because everyone else had them? Legitimate question, not trying to attack you.

How about my style was much different as a 14 year old? Back then I thought Jordans were :pimp: along with my tall tees and jerseys. A bulky pair of colorful Jordans looked good with bootcut jeans and a matching t shirt. I dress like an adult with proper fitting and non tacky clothes now, so most Jordans look ugly to me now. The ones that I do like (1s and 3s) feel like they're made out of plastic and have horrrible shapes and comfort.

It's a ridiculous question. There's tons of things other than Jordans that appealed to me as a kid/teenager that I wouldn't mess with now. If I don't watch Sesame Street now, does that mean I really didn't like it as a 3 year old despite watching it every day?

Last edited:

thats stupid af. 

if i don't want to buy jordans now i never really liked them?
i think maybe he meant in the sense that people were only buying jordans because they were selling out and were more hyped

and now that they aren't selling out and sitting, means you can buy them but those people don't want to buy them because now they aren't cool/hyped anymore 

How about my style was much different as a 14 year old? Back then I thought Jordans were
pimp.gif
along with my tall tees and jerseys. A bulky pair of colorful Jordans looked good with bootcut jeans and a matching t shirt. I dress like an adult with proper fitting and non tacky clothes now, so most Jordans look ugly to me now.

It's a ridiculous question. There's tons of things other than Jordans that appealed to me as a kid/teenager that I wouldn't mess with now. If I don't watch Sesame Street now, does that mean I really didn't like it as a 3 year old?
At 3 years old did you have a choice in what you watching?

At 14 you had a choice in what you were wearing I would assume. What drew you to Jordan's? Tall tees were the style. I knew I looked ridiculous, but so did everyone else. I knew I looked ridiculous in my pink tee, but thats what everyone else was wearing so it was the style. Jordan's for me, were never about what was in or not. Neither were AF1's. When all my peers converted over to Fila's, I got a pair of Fila's. I also still had Jordan's. When all my peers started rocking sperry's, I bought a pair of sperry's...but still bought Air Jordan's. Jordan's never were a fad to me. It was something I liked. I never "outgrew" them. So I figured it became a passion, where as people never had that passion for them. Or it wasn't as strong. That's just my outlook on the matter.

Last edited:
what do u guys mean when someone "tries too hard"

i see that comment used a lot and always wondered what it meant 

I think that's the 2016 version of Hypebeast, but I'm old and boring, so I could be wrong :lol:

Don't understand why people act like there's an age limit on Jordans/sneakers in general. Sure, some Jordans are wild bulky and overly colorful, but certain sneakers work well with a pair of slim-fit jeans and a shirt.

Last edited:
the real situation is sitting on jordans is pointless at the moment

you can walk into any consignment shop and leave with damn near any jordan from the last 15 years for decent prices

there's no reason to hoard them and wait 5 years to break em out

by then they would've re-released 2 more times already

shoes are like going to the grocery store for me now

I just go to the store and get what I need at the moment, I'm not buying and stocking for the future

it's not just Jordan's, it's all shoes

the idea of having 1000 shoes is old news

everybody's slimming their collections down and getting back to the essentials

when I get new kicks I wear em the next day now instead of icing em, shoes are as common and easy to get as bottled water

its no longer about if you can find them it's now about what you're willing to pay

years from now nmds will be the new dunk sbs, the prices will crash and people will be tryna cash out before it's too late

it's all about patience, restocks are weekly and new trends are bout every 3 years

^^ which is all the more reason I don't get the idea of them "going out of style" or pulling the fonzy. Jordan's are easier than ever to obtain now. I'm ecstatic. I'll be here when they're the staple of urban fashion again.

I went to a restaurant yesterday and this kid was going on about how much he loved Jordans and how he has every pair. I asked him did he see any games, and he gave me the stone face. Never seen one. Doesn't even know what MJ looks like. I just shook my head and walked away. It truly...broke my heart. Lol

I went to a restaurant yesterday and this kid was going on about how much he loved Jordans and how he has every pair. I asked him did he see any games, and he gave me the stone face. Never seen one. Doesn't even know what MJ looks like. I just shook my head and walked away. It truly...broke my heart. Lol

who cares

Nike/JB/Mike's intent was obviously for the brand to last beyond the generation that saw him play

Why do people get mad or otherwise concerned when people like the shoes without knowing about the player

Jordan's have probably been a status symbol decades before that kid was born so why is it surprising that he cares more about that aspect than looking up grainy clips of Jordan games on youTube

not saying you were mad seems like you were just making light convo but there are some ****** who legit get mad that kids aren't into Michael jordan the way they are into the shoes

what do u guys mean when someone "tries too hard"

i see that comment used a lot and always wondered what it meant 

when someone does too much and is looking for others approval instead of just being themselves and taking whatever comes with that

who cares

Nike/JB/Mike's intent was obviously for the brand to last beyond the generation that saw him play

Why do people get mad or otherwise concerned when people like the shoes without knowing about the player

Jordan's have probably been a status symbol decades before that kid was born so why is it surprising that he cares more about that aspect than looking up grainy clips of Jordan games on youTube

not saying you were mad seems like you were just making light convo but there are some ****** who legit get mad that kids aren't into Michael jordan the way they are into the shoes

Nah I wasn't mad. I was just saying that he didn't even know who he was making rich. He barely knew he played. It just saddens me that all of these kids just get sucked into trends. I guess I'm getting old. Oh well. That's my gripe session for the day. Peace.

who cares

Maybe I am in the minority, but I can't take anyone serious who wears J's heavily and doesn't know the history of MJ. I am not expecting them to be a walking archive, but to know absolutely nothing just screams "poser". It's similar to all of these new Wu Tang fans who can't name any of the members. I don't get (typical NT claim) mad, but I do look at the person differently.

Maybe I am in the minority, but I can't take anyone serious who wears J's heavily and doesn't know the history of MJ. I am not expecting them to be a walking archive, but to know absolutely nothing just screams "poser". It's similar to all of these new Wu Tang fans who can't name any of the members. I don't get (typical NT claim) mad, but I do look at the person differently.

is a person heavily into the NBA required to have seen Jerry West play? or know who he is?

would they get a sideeye if they didnt?

Jumping the shark” is an idiom used to describe the moment a television show begins a decline in quality, signaled by a particular scene, or episode, in which the writers use some type of gimmick in an attempt to keep viewers' interest.

http://.com/best-tv-shows-series-jumped-shark/?view=all

IMO, Jordan's jumped the shark about 7-8 years ago.

Once the N/A came off the of the I-VI, I was done.  

Tried messing with the Black/Cement IV's from 4 years ago and was so disappointed.  Quality been going down (except it seems like the I's have improved as of lately), while prices and demand have been going up.

Like someone mentioned in the thread already, once people stated saying nonsense like "you got to put in work!" or "If you couldn't cop (insert release here) you didn't try hard enough", I was done.

Never camped for a pair of kicks, never will.

Never lined up for a pair of kicks, never will.

Raffles? Ridiculous.  The Draw?  Please.  I remember when people who worked in shoe stores actually tried to sell you kicks.  They talked to you and weren't afraid to compliment what you were rocking.  Now, I'm lucky if the attendants acknowledge my presence when i'm in the store.

I would probably be considered an old head though (35 years old) but copping kicks has definitely changed, although I've changed as well (priorities, etc.).

TL,DR: Yes Jordans have jumped the shark.

After Black/Cement NA III & IV's come back out, i'm done for good.

then I thought Jordans were :pimp: along with my tall tees and jerseys. A bulky pair of colorful Jordans looked good with bootcut jeans and a matching t shirt.

i dont follow this flimsy logic at all when most must have Jordans originally released when clothing was more fitted in da 80's-early 90's

original

is a person heavily into the NBA required to have seen Jerry West play? or know who he is?

would they get a sideeye if they didnt?

We could play this game all day.

Do you know everything about every designer in your closet?

****** will feel so confident about wearing the zestiest, freaky deeky European designers and then be disgusted at Caitlyn Jenner :lol:.

I don't think someone should have to be a sports fan or a fan of a particular type of music to find aesthetic value in something.

If I like a pair of shoes or a shirt then I like a pair of shoes or a shirt. I don't have to like weird screamo music or old dusty rap because a guy they hired to design shirts for a specific tour did a good job.

Back
Top Bottom