HDTV & Audio FAQ, Accessories and TV area setup Official Post Vol. That time again...

Samsung 40D6000

I want it, anything comparable within its Amazon pricerange I should consider other than this Sammy?

Does anyone own this set? Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

This questions blows, so I apologize, but what's the best bang for the buck in the $1,500-$1,800 range?

im wondering the same. we currently have an old 65 inch, so im not trying to go any smaller
grin.gif
. i am not dropping 3k+ on a tv
30t6p3b.gif

im considering like an 82 inch DLP, but i dunno
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

This questions blows, so I apologize, but what's the best bang for the buck in the $1,500-$1,800 range?

im wondering the same. we currently have an old 65 inch, so im not trying to go any smaller
grin.gif
. i am not dropping 3k+ on a tv
30t6p3b.gif

im considering like an 82 inch DLP, but i dunno
eyes.gif

Granted, I may be a little biased and I've only had this TV for 24 hours, but this Samsung PN59D7000 (plasma) is awesome.  The blacks are so black, the colors pop, and motion is really smooth.  I'm coming from a 5 year old Samsung 46" LCD.
I ordered off Amazon for $1849 and that included the TV, the 3D starter kit with 2 pairs of glasses and 4 3D Blu-Rays, and a Sammy 3D Blu-Ray player.  The price was $500 than the same deal in Best Buy.

The only difference between the D7000 and D8000 is the D8000 has a QWERTY remote, SKYPE, a web browser (D7000 still has all the internet apps, just no browser), and a different stand.  Both TV's have the same exact panel, processor, settings, etc.

Bump for my new TV:

I have a LG 42LV5500 on the way. I have absolutely ZERO interest in 3D (was originally looking at the LW series). Was turned off by this years Panasonic plasmas because the living room the TV will be in gets really warm (western exposure). I really don't want added heat. Also, I was turned off by the sheer volume of returns I saw EVERYWHERE for the S and ST series.

Started looking into LG and the price was too good to pass up (less than $600 shipped). Will be wall mounting and adding sound bar (probably the LG one).

Stoked..especially for Football season!

Any recommendations for a college dorm/apartment? What size would you guys recommend I'm thinking between 19-24 inch, mostly gaming and watching television though. And how big of a difference is 720p vs 1080p on a smaller screen? I've read that it isn't much but I was just wondering if anyone here has some experience with that.

Have any of you guys had sucess in turning a laptop into a HTPC? I want to use my Macbook Pro as both a laptop and to stream my movies. But if I can't utilize it as both, is my best bet to buy a Media player a la Roku 2 or WD HD tv live player?

Originally Posted by ImGreaterThanYou

Any recommendations for a college dorm/apartment? What size would you guys recommend I'm thinking between 19-24 inch, mostly gaming and watching television though. And how big of a difference is 720p vs 1080p on a smaller screen? I've read that it isn't much but I was just wondering if anyone here has some experience with that.

Unless you plan on using the screen as a computer monitor, there is no need to get 1080 on a TV smaller than 37".

Originally Posted by Icecixz

Have any of you guys had sucess in turning a laptop into a HTPC? I want to use my Macbook Pro as both a laptop and to stream my movies. But if I can't utilize it as both, is my best bet to buy a Media player a la Roku 2 or WD HD tv live player?

i use my Macbook as a htpc. i use Boxee, great app that has alot of the same stuff that roku has. its full screen and works with a remote app for ios that lets u control it. I also use vlc + vlc remote for ios as well. works great, if u just mirror your display and close your laptop.

Originally Posted by QuestLife

Originally Posted by Icecixz

i use my Macbook as a htpc. i use Boxee, great app that has alot of the same stuff that roku has. its full screen and works with a remote app for ios that lets u control it. I also use vlc + vlc remote for ios as well. works great, if u just mirror your display and close your laptop.

Thanks for the info, I have a couple more questions. I was mirring (lol) the apple tv becuase its wireless stream, but the problem is that it only supports 720p (for now anyways). Does Boxee supports 1080p?

Let me post my setup

What you see:
- Samsung 40 inch LED. I believe it's from the 5000 series. It looks kinda smaller than it really is because the tv-stand is huge.
- Yamaha YHT 296 5.1 Home Cinema set. I just got into the home cinema game and I love it. It adds so much more to the watching-experience.
- Xbox 360 with Kinect

What you don't see:
- HP multimedia desktop with Bluray. It's located on the other side of the wall where the study is located. I drilled a hole behind the tv-stand and simply pulled a HDMI cable trough. I controll the PC with my android phone.
- Led strips behind TV. There is too much light to notice them so I didn't turn them on. They switch colours automaticly which looks kinda cool.

How it looks when the tray is open.....
ei115h.jpg

...... and closed.
1z6tbmf.jpg

Originally Posted by k0befomvp

Let me post my setup

What you see:
- Samsung 40 inch LED. I believe it's from the 5000 series. It looks kinda smaller than it really is because the tv-stand is huge.
- Yamaha YHT 296 5.1 Home Cinema set. I just got into the home cinema game and I love it. It adds so much more to the watching-experience.
- Xbox 360 with Kinect

What you don't see:
- HP multimedia desktop with Bluray. It's located on the other side of the wall where the study is located. I drilled a hole behind the tv-stand and simply pulled a HDMI cable trough. I controll the PC with my android phone.
- Led strips behind TV. There is too much light to notice them so I didn't turn them on. They switch colours automaticly which looks kinda cool.

ei115h.jpg

...... and closed.

where are the speakers?

like you said, the TV looks tiny because of the huge stand.   i'd throw that tv in the bedroom and put a 52" or 55" there to fill the open space.

Originally Posted by Based Mod

where are the speakers?

like you said, the TV looks tiny because of the huge stand.   i'd throw that tv in the bedroom and put a 52" or 55" there to fill the open space.

The front speakers are behind the lamp on the left and next to the aquarium on the right. The center-speaker is located in the front of the tv and the subwoofer is underneath the vase.

The tv really looks small on camera but in real-life it's not that bad really. I actually upgraded from a 32" just a couple of months ago
grin.gif
. Also, my livingroom isn't that big as I sit about 13 feet away from the television. Maybe I will upgrade to 46"when I graduate.

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Damn, those speakers are small, lol.
yeah I have seen bigger but like I said, this is my first set which was affordable as a student. I'm not really an audio-freak so this is well enough for me at the moment. It's definetly better than the TV's stereo sound.

Originally Posted by k0befomvp

Let me post my setup

What you see:
- Xbox 360 with Kinect

What you don't see:

...... and closed.
1z6tbmf.jpg

Electronics aside, I LOVE your design/color set up (minus that wood table the fish tank is on).

Thanks bro! I agree that from that angle the table (which actually is a Danish design from the late 50's) seems to be out of place with the rest of the furniture. But on the other end of the room there is a matching dining-table with matching chairs. It adds a bit of warmth to the room with the all the cold white (I also have a white coffe-table which is not in the image).

Back
Top Bottom