How accurate is this portrayal of Muslims?

Originally Posted by Wooly Willy

Just read through the whole thread and I wanna say my thoughts (I'm an African American Muslim born and raised in the US)

Itsthatdude, I seen you post in a few religion threads and that Hinduism thread where you made some unpopular comments (
laugh.gif
) and I understand the message you're trying to put across. You, lobotomybeats and Anton are the vocal Atheists on this board and I respect that completely but I've been noticing you and lobotomybeats feel the need to extra hard and militant for no reason.

this my friend is where i lost you......as long as there are injustices and ignorance perpetuated by religious folks people have every reason to go extra hard and militant.

good day.

Just read through the whole thread and I wanna say my thoughts (I'm an African American Muslim born and raised in the US)

Itsthatdude, I seen you post in a few religion threads and that Hinduism thread where you made some unpopular comments (
laugh.gif
) and I understand the message you're trying to put across. You, lobotomybeats and Anton are the vocal Atheists on this board and I respect that completely but I've been noticing you and lobotomybeats feel the need to extra hard and militant for no reason.

this my friend is where i lost you......as long as there are injustices and ignorance perpetuated by religious folks people have every reason to go extra hard and militant.

good day.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

What did the fool think would happen? That they would take such an association in stride? C'mon now, you don't even know what you're arguing anymore, just let it go.

tired.gif
Noam Chomsky is spinning in his grave right now.

What did the fool think would happen? That they would take such an association in stride? C'mon now, you don't even know what you're arguing anymore, just let it go.

tired.gif

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

laugh.gif

good day.

Makes sense if you're out in the street but this is NT. I doubt there are any religious militants on NT
laugh.gif
. What's the wisdom behind isolating and insulting others on this board instead of engaging in rational dialogue like the goal that is claimed. BTW, notice I excluded you from the "militants" (that was a shot at itsthatdude and lobotomybeats) because I actually remember having a few debates with you and you actually put thoughtful answers and I can respect that. For the most part, you don't try to take meaningless shots at people's intelligence 24/7 like some more vocal Atheists on this board

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

laugh.gif

good day.

Makes sense if you're out in the street but this is NT. I doubt there are any religious militants on NT
laugh.gif
. What's the wisdom behind isolating and insulting others on this board instead of engaging in rational dialogue like the goal that is claimed. BTW, notice I excluded you from the "militants" (that was a shot at itsthatdude and lobotomybeats) because I actually remember having a few debates with you and you actually put thoughtful answers and I can respect that. For the most part, you don't try to take meaningless shots at people's intelligence 24/7 like some more vocal Atheists on this board

Originally Posted by Budweiser

tired.gif

Is this a joke?!
he's still alive.

tired.gif

Is this a joke?!
he's still alive.

This is a seemingly moderate group of Muslims reacting to this video with violence and death threats. It doesn't seem like it's only a few extremists...
don't be coy about it.

just say outright what you feel...you think that Islam is a violent religion.

Originally Posted by th1nk

tired.gif

Is this a joke?!
he's still alive.

laugh.gif

i had to check to make sure he wasn't

This is a seemingly moderate group of Muslims reacting to this video with violence and death threats. It doesn't seem like it's only a few extremists...
don't be coy about it.

tired.gif

Is this a joke?!
he's still alive.

laugh.gif

i had to check to make sure he wasn't

tired.gif

Is this a joke?!
he's still alive.

indifferent.gif
Yes it's a joke.

Chomsky took a lot of heat for defending a Holocaust denier's freedom of speech. AboveLegit disgraces his legacy by suggesting the expectation of a violent reprisal for unpopular opinions is acceptable in a civilized country. He's suggesting the gentleman in question should not have done what he did for fear of retaliation. That's a TRAVESTY.

tired.gif

Is this a joke?!
he's still alive.

indifferent.gif
Yes it's a joke.

Chomsky took a lot of heat for defending a Holocaust denier's freedom of speech. AboveLegit disgraces his legacy by suggesting the expectation of a violent reprisal for unpopular opinions is acceptable in a civilized country. He's suggesting the gentleman in question should not have done what he did for fear of retaliation. That's a TRAVESTY.

Any person or group of people who are offended by something that doesn't actually harm them or threaten to harm them needs to !!%# and simply be offended. Nothing happens when you're offended. People have the right to say things that will offend you. You have the right to be offended. Act like a %%@!%## adult and be offended like a normal %%@!%## person. Anyone who is offended by something that doesn't harm them to the point where they want to cause harm to whoever offended them is very uneducated, irrational, and should not be excused because they have some sort of belief.

Any person or group of people who are offended by something that doesn't actually harm them or threaten to harm them needs to !!%# and simply be offended. Nothing happens when you're offended. People have the right to say things that will offend you. You have the right to be offended. Act like a %%@!%## adult and be offended like a normal %%@!%## person. Anyone who is offended by something that doesn't harm them to the point where they want to cause harm to whoever offended them is very uneducated, irrational, and should not be excused because they have some sort of belief.

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

Nothing, but as I already stated, homosexuality is considered by all the main monotheistic faiths as evil. And to associate an act of evil with one of the religions that expressly forbids and decries it, would obviously lead to outrage. What did the fool think would happen? That they would take such an association in stride? C'mon now, you don't even know what you're arguing anymore, just let it go.
Why is homosexuality evil?  Shouldn't we challenge that kind of teaching?

Yes it would lead to outrage.  It is to be expected.  No argument here.

What I'm saying that there is no place for this kind of thinking and mindset anywhere in the world.  They're actions are wrong, but expectedly so.  There shouldn't be any of this in the world, not just from Muslims/Islam, but from all religions.

Just gotta resond to this before peacing out.

There is no space for hating homosexuals sure, but Lars is provoking the unacceptable reaction by engaging in something else there is no space for, discrimination and openly insulting other religions. These Muslims didnt show up to kill gays, just as many devout Catholics dont walk around looking for gays to hurt. If they want to oppose homosexuality, that is their freedom of choice. As long as they are not preventing people from denouncing Islam to be gay then I cant even really argue against it, although I dont agree with it.

Yes, gays are killed in Saudi Arabia, but gays are still killed in the US just for being gay like minorities are killed in the US just because of their skin color to this day.

What discrimination are you talking about?  How did he discriminate against Muslims?  Why can we not insult religions?  <--- think about that one.
These Muslims showed up to protest.  They fully knew what Lars Vilks was going to show.  This was fully planned out.  

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

Nothing, but as I already stated, homosexuality is considered by all the main monotheistic faiths as evil. And to associate an act of evil with one of the religions that expressly forbids and decries it, would obviously lead to outrage. What did the fool think would happen? That they would take such an association in stride? C'mon now, you don't even know what you're arguing anymore, just let it go.
Why is homosexuality evil?  Shouldn't we challenge that kind of teaching?

Yes it would lead to outrage.  It is to be expected.  No argument here.

What I'm saying that there is no place for this kind of thinking and mindset anywhere in the world.  They're actions are wrong, but expectedly so.  There shouldn't be any of this in the world, not just from Muslims/Islam, but from all religions.

Just gotta resond to this before peacing out.

There is no space for hating homosexuals sure, but Lars is provoking the unacceptable reaction by engaging in something else there is no space for, discrimination and openly insulting other religions. These Muslims didnt show up to kill gays, just as many devout Catholics dont walk around looking for gays to hurt. If they want to oppose homosexuality, that is their freedom of choice. As long as they are not preventing people from denouncing Islam to be gay then I cant even really argue against it, although I dont agree with it.

Yes, gays are killed in Saudi Arabia, but gays are still killed in the US just for being gay like minorities are killed in the US just because of their skin color to this day.

What discrimination are you talking about?  How did he discriminate against Muslims?  Why can we not insult religions?  <--- think about that one.
These Muslims showed up to protest.  They fully knew what Lars Vilks was going to show.  This was fully planned out.  

Wooly Willy wrote:

Who's making up the "us vs. them" scenarios?  In this case, who is making up the "us vs. homosexuals"?  It's religion.  So yes, a world without religion would be better off.  I'm not saying that religion is the root of all violence.  But yes, the world would be less violent without religion.

How would the average Muslim react to a video like this?  That's what I'm mainly concerned about.  Is it even a sin to depict Muhammad as a homosexual?  Going by your verses, I would not expect this kind of reaction from the audience.

And what the hell is a militant atheist?  Why should I respect a person's religion/beliefs when they're wrong? (from hinduism thread
laugh.gif
)  Why does it deserve my respect?

Wooly Willy wrote:

Who's making up the "us vs. them" scenarios?  In this case, who is making up the "us vs. homosexuals"?  It's religion.  So yes, a world without religion would be better off.  I'm not saying that religion is the root of all violence.  But yes, the world would be less violent without religion.

How would the average Muslim react to a video like this?  That's what I'm mainly concerned about.  Is it even a sin to depict Muhammad as a homosexual?  Going by your verses, I would not expect this kind of reaction from the audience.

And what the hell is a militant atheist?  Why should I respect a person's religion/beliefs when they're wrong? (from hinduism thread
laugh.gif
)  Why does it deserve my respect?

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

don't be coy about it.

I thought that was pretty clear.  But I see many many Muslims claiming that Islam is a religion of peace.  If you've followed the recent assassination in Pakistan of a liberal governor, you can see that there is a lot of support for his death because of his opposing views on Pakistan's blasphemy laws.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

don't be coy about it.

I thought that was pretty clear.  But I see many many Muslims claiming that Islam is a religion of peace.  If you've followed the recent assassination in Pakistan of a liberal governor, you can see that there is a lot of support for his death because of his opposing views on Pakistan's blasphemy laws.

Back
Top Bottom