I never knew that......

Microwaving a hard boiled egg (that's not in the shell) basically turns it into a mini bomb. Someone just told me about this so i searched for it on YouTube; some of the explosions were pretty intense and I've heard that they can cause serious burns/scars.

The largest stockpile ogf nuclear weapons in the world is protected by dolphins

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-...uclear-weapons-is-defended-by-dolphins-2015-3

The first anchorman originally had a completely different storyline centering around hippie radicalism. Over 50 percent of the original was cut.
Chuck D had a role.

In law the term "bar" doesny only refer to the exam. It refers to the physical barrier seperating The lawyers and judges from the viewing public. "Passing the bar" gains you admittance to work on the other side

When wolves howl they harmonize, as opposed to howling a single note.
To give the appearance of greater numbers

Microwaving a hard boiled egg (that's not in the shell) basically turns it into a mini bomb. Someone just told me about this so i searched for it on YouTube; some of the explosions were pretty intense and I've heard that they can cause serious burns/scars.

i learned that lesson the hard way as a kid. Tried to heat up a cold boiled egg and after putting it in the microwave all I heard was boom eggs everywhere and the microwave opened up. Joint shook me up as a kid.

Not to mention i put 3 eggs in that joint :lol:

i wonder why that happens tho?

Literally spent about 2.5 weeks at work re-reading the entire thread. :lol:

So many great posts in here. :nthat:

That's dedication!

Give us your top 10 posts in here

Oh man. Caught me off guard with that one!

(top of my head)

- there's a handful of super random fact posts from SC kid SC kid that always trip me out when reading. those posts alone cover about half. LOL
- the owl flying video was dope cause i just learned about owls, hawks and falcons not too long ago at my daughter's school. gained a lot of info and interest for birds of prey.
- toilet seat cover tutorial (or video) was informative. :lol:
- space/galaxy posts are always mind=blown. it'd be crazy/naive to believe we're the only plant with intelligent life on it.
- how dogs drink water was cool as hell too

Be prepared: 400+ interesting historical images.

nthat.gif

Vaguely remember putting a hard boiled egg in the microwave back in the day and can confirm it blows up

Last edited:
311 – 311 is an Omaha, Nebraska, police code for indecent exposure. One rainy day, 311 bassist P-Nut and some friends went skinny dipping in a public pool. They were apprehended by police. One of P-Nut’s friends, Jim Watson, was arrested, cuffed (naked), and taken home to his parents. He was issued a citation for a code 311 (indecent exposure). The band found the incident amusing, so they based their name on it.

ABBA — a palindromic acronym from the initials of the first names of the band members: Agnetha Fältskog, Björn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson and Anni-Frid Lyngstad.

Ace of Base — the band's first studio was in the basement of a car repair shop, and they considered themselves to be the "masters" of the studio. "Ace of Base" was derived from "masters of the basement".

Backstreet Boys — After a flea market in Orlando, Florida.

Beastie Boys — A backronym for "Boys Entering Anarchistic States Towards Inner Excellence"

The Beatles — The Crickets were cited as an inspiration for the name. Additionally, the misspelling of "beetles" was a play on words, describing the "beat" of the band.

Boyz II Men — Originally known as Unique Attraction, they were renamed after a song by New Edition.

Coldplay — The band were called "Starfish" originally and a friend's group was called "Coldplay". When they did not want the name anymore, "Starfish" asked if they could use it instead. The original Coldplay took the name from a book of collected poems called Child's Reflections: Cold Play.

Daft Punk — In 1992, being heavily influenced by The Beach Boys, they recorded songs under the name Darlin', which was a Beach Boys single off their 1967 album Wild Honey. A negative review in the UK's Melody Maker described their effort as "a daft punky thrash", which depressed the pair but unwittingly gave them a name for their next project.

The Doors — The band took its name from Aldous Huxley's book The Doors of Perception, the title of which was a reference to a William Blake quotation: "When the doors of perception are cleansed, things will appear to man as they truly are... infinite."

Duran Duran — The band played at Birmingham's Barberella's nightclub so took their name from the villain of the cult science fiction film Barbarella, Dr. Durand-Durand.

Fall Out Boy — Nameless for their first two shows as a band, at the end of their second show they asked the audience to yell out their ideas for a name. One audience member suggested "Fallout Boy", a reference to the sidekick of comic book superhero Radioactive Man from The Simpsons.

Guns N' Roses — An early incarnation of the band included Tracii Guns whose band was called L.A. Guns. Axl Rose, who had formed Hollywood Rose, combined his band with Tracii's to form Guns N' Roses.

Hootie and the Blowfish — Lead singer Darius Rucker derived the name from two friends from college. One had an owlish face and was nicknamed "Hootie", while the other had puffy cheeks and was called "the Blowfish".

KISS — Peter Criss, the original drummer of KISS and the 3rd member to join KISS, was in a car riding around with Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley and Ace Frehley in New York. All three members knew that Peter used to be in a band named LIPS. They were trying to think of a band name at that time. Paul blurted out, "How about KISS?" Ace Frehley designed the KISS logo in 1973 which is still used today. There was a rumor going around in the early 1980s that it stood for (K)ids (I)n (S)atan's (S)ervice.

Misfits — The band was named after a motion picture released in 1961 entitled The Misfits.[136][137] The Misfits' skull logo was derived from the villain of the 1946 motion picture The Crimson Ghost.

Nirvana — Before settling on a permanent name, the band had played under many different names including 'Throat Oyster' and 'Ted, Ed, Fred'. Nirvana is a profound concept that comes from the Buddhist belief that one can, through spiritual practices and meditation, transcend the cycle of rebirth and human suffering and ultimately achieve nirvana. Kurt Cobain chose the name and defined it to his bandmates as a word that describes the 'attainment of perfection' .

Pearl Jam — The band's first name was "Mookie Blaylock" after the All-Star basketball player, but the name was changed to "Pearl Jam" due to trademark concerns. Vocalist Eddie Vedder claimed in an early interview that the name was a reference to his great-grandmother Pearl Brunner.[154] In 2006 guitarist Mike McCready said that bass player Jeff Ament came up with "Pearl" and that "Jam" was added after seeing Neil Young live.

R.E.M. — Vocalist Michael Stipe drew the acronym randomly out of the dictionary. The term refers to the rapid eye movement phase of sleep. Stipe says that is not the reason why the band is named R.E.M.

Simply Red — The name "Simply Red" came about when the manager of a local venue was confused about the band's name and Mick Hucknall replied that it was "Red, simply Red". The resulting misnomer was printed on publicity posters as "Simply Red", and the name stuck.

Spandau Ballet — The name was coined after a close friend of the band, the DJ Robert Elms, saw the words Spandau Ballet written on the wall of a lavatory in a Berlin nightclub; it is a reference to Spandau Prison and the "ballet" refers to the jerky movements that prisoners made when they were hanged.

UB40 — The UK government's form number for the Unemployment Benefit Attendance Card, as shown on the band's debut album Signing Off.

U2 — Bono once said that the band name came from its interactivity with the audience, as in "you too." U2 is also the name of a famous spy plane, as well as the name of the subway line that connected East and West Berlin, on which Zoo Station (also the name of a song on the album Achtung Baby) is found.

Van Halen — The last name of the band's lead guitarist Eddie Van Halen and drummer Alex Van Halen. Although initially called Mammoth, the band changed its name when it found out Mammoth was already taken by another band.

The Who — Were originally called The Detours, then changed their name to The Who after a suggestion by guitarist Pete Townshend's friend Richard Barnes. Their first manager, Pete Meaden, renamed them The High Numbers, and they released one unsuccessful single, "Zoot Suit", under that name. When EMI dropped them, the band sacked Meaden and went back to being called The Who. Another possible reason was because of Townshend's grandmother, who would always refer to popular bands as "The Who?", due to her impaired hearing.

so a raw egg wont explode. but a peeled boiled egg will? boiled unpeeled egg wont explode?

any boiled egg will explode but what i meant was if you put water in a bowl with uncooked eggs they will boil. also if you crack eggs and put them in a bowl and microwave them they will turn into scramble eggs

3M – from the company's original name, Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company.

7-Eleven – convenience stores; renamed from "Tote'm" in 1946 to reflect their newly extended hours, 7:00 am until 11:00 pm

Amazon.com – founder Jeff Bezos renamed the company "Amazon" (from the earlier name of Cadabra.com) after the world's most voluminous river, the Amazon. He saw the potential for a larger volume of sales in an online (as opposed to a bricks and mortar) bookstore. (Alternative: Amazon was chosen to cash in on the popularity of Yahoo, which listed entries alphabetically.)

AMC Theatres – American Multi-Cinema: the company pioneered multi-screen cinemas

Apple – For the favorite fruit of co-founder Steve Jobs and/or for the time he worked at an apple orchard, and to distance itself from the cold, unapproachable, complicated imagery created by other computer companies at the time – which had names such as IBM, DEC, and Cincom

ASICS – an acronym for Anima Sana In Corpore Sano, which, translated from Latin, means "Healthy soul in a healthy body". Originally the citation is mens sana in corpore sano, but MSICS does not sound as good.

Boeing – named after founder William E. Boeing. It was originally called Pacific Aero Products Co.

Canon – originally (1933) "Precision Optical Instruments Laboratory", the new name (1935) derived from the name of the company's first camera, the Kwanon, in turn named after the Japanese name of the Buddhist bodhisattva of mercy.

Capcom – Capsule Computers, the former name of the company and how they described the arcade machines they manufactured at the time

Caterpillar – originally Holt Tractor Co, merged with Best Tractor Co. in 1925. A company photographer exclaimed aloud of a Holt tractor that the tracks' movement resembled a caterpillar moving along the ground. The name stuck.

Cisco – short for San Francisco.

Comcast – from communications and broadcast

****'s Sporting Goods – named after its founder, **** Stack, who opened a bait and tackle shop in 1948 with a $300 gift from his grandmother

eBay – Pierre Omidyar, who had created the Auction Web trading website, had formed a web consulting concern called Echo Bay Technology Group. "Echo Bay" did not refer to the town in Nevada, "It just sounded cool", Omidyar reportedly said. Echo Bay Mines Limited, a gold mining company, had already taken EchoBay.com, so Omidyar registered what (at the time) he thought was the second best name: eBay.com.

Five Guys – American restaurant chain founded by "five guys" – Jerry Murrell and his four sons. The "five guys" would later become the Murrell sons, after Jerry and his wife Janie had a fifth son two years after opening their first restaurant.

Garmin – named after its founders, Gary Burrell and Dr. Min Kao

IKEA – a composite of the first letters in the Swedish founder Ingvar Kamprad's name in addition to the first letters of the names of the property and the village in which he grew up: Ingvar Kamprad Elmtaryd Agunnaryd.

Jordache – from the first names of the Nakash brothers who founded the company: Joe, Ralph, David (Ralph's first son), Avi, plus che, after the second syllable of "Nakash"

Kinko's – from the college nickname of founder, Paul Orfalea. He was called Kinko because he had curly red hair. The company was bought by FedEx for $2.4 billion in 2004.

Lego – combination of the Danish "leg godt", which means to "play well". Lego also means "I put together" in Latin, but Lego Group claims this is only a coincidence and the etymology of the word is entirely Danish. Years before the little plastic brick was invented, Lego manufactured wooden toys.

LoJack – "LoJack" (the stolen-vehicle recovery system) is a pun on the word "hijack" (to steal a vehicle).

Motorola – Founder Paul Galvin came up with this name when his company (at the time, Galvin Manufacturing Company) started manufacturing radios for cars. Many audio equipment makers of the era used the "ola" ending for their products, most famously the "Victrola" phonograph made by the Victor Talking Machine Company. The name was meant to convey the idea of "sound" and "motion". It became so widely recognized that the company later adopted it as the company name.

Nabisco – formerly The National Biscuit Company, changed in 1971 to Nabisco

Nokia – started as a wood-pulp mill, the company expanded into producing rubber products in the Finnish city of Nokia. The company later adopted the city's name.

Pixar – from pixel and the co-founder's name, Alvy Ray Smith. According to the biography "The Second Coming of Steve Jobs" by Alan Deutschman, the 'el' in pixel was changed to 'ar' because 'ar' is frequently used in Spanish verbs, implying the name means "To Pix". Alternatively, "pixarr" is a common abbreviation for "pixel array," an often used term in computer graphics programming.

Reebok – alternate spelling of rhebok (Pelea capreolus), an African antelope

Samsonite – named from the Biblical character Samson, renowned for his strength

Sega – Service Games of Japan was founded by Marty Bromley (an American) to import pinball games to Japan for use on American military bases.

Skype – the original concept for the name was Sky-Peer-to-Peer, which morphed into Skyper, then Skype.[97]

Smart – Swatch + Mercedes + Art

Sprint – from its parent company, Southern Pacific Railroad INTernal Communications. At the time, pipelines and railroad tracks were the cheapest place to lay communications lines, as the right-of-way was already leased or owned.

TCBY – Originally, the company's name was "This Can't Be Yogurt", but a lawsuit from a competitor named "I Can't Believe It's Yogurt!" forced TCBY to create a new backronym for its initials: "The Country's Best Yogurt".

Twitter – Having rejected the name Twitch for their social networking service, co-founder Jack Dorsey says: "we looked in the dictionary for words around it and we came across the word 'twitter' and it was just perfect. The definition was 'a short burst of inconsequential information', and 'chirps from birds'. And that's exactly what the product was."

Umbro – Umbro was founded in 1924 by the Humphrey (Umphrey) Brothers, Harold C. and Wallace.

Verizon – a portmanteau of veritas (Latin for truth) and horizon.

Back
Top Bottom