I WANT TO ENCOURAGE A MORE CONSTRUCTIVE DISCUSSION OVER RACE RELATIONS ON NT

the blatant racism isn't the issue. it's the subtle bs that's engrained in our US culture.

even people in here w there "light skinned" and "dark sinned" jokes.

My only issue comes when people try to avoid labeling themselves or being labeled 'black' based on some sense of self hatred or attempt to separate themselves from the title 'black.'

I have no problem with anyone not wanting to disregard of their own ethnicity.

As a 3/4 Puerto Rican 1/4 African American person, I can tell you there is a lot of that self hatred and avoidance of being black because of the stigma attached to it in the Latino community. There are even undertones of it in my own family and both my mother and sister married black men. It's just there:

i completely agree. i remember reading how there was a dominican dictator that emphasized there is a clear separation between darker looking residents and that instillation has obviously shown its run off here. it happens in a lot of latin speaking countries just as much as asian countries where people are looked at depending on their complexion.

people need to see that way, and break the stereotype. instead of being so naive to not conceptualize that people get judged for their skin whether it be black/white/asian/native america etc.
THIS.

My girl is full Filipino and there are shades of racism in their culture too. She'd tell me about the more primitive people in her country who happen to be darkskinned and have similar features to someone like ninjahood.

It's not anyone's fault, it's just baked into our society worldwide. It blows my mind how far this kind of thinking spans.

Side note: I usually get the 'middle eastern' too. I'm pretty racially ambiguous so I feel like I tend to blend in in black groups or Hispanic groups pretty easily too, so I've seen a lot of that ignorance from people about blacks and/or Hispanics from people when they feel like they're talking to another 'insider' and not 'one of those people.'

It's just what we've grown to accept as the human race, really. The most important thing we can do is acknowledge that it's happening EVERYWHERE instead of burying our heads in the sand and sheltering ourselves with some alternate sense of reality.

Otherwise we're just spinning our wheels spending the time infighting about it.

the blatant racism isn't the issue. it's the subtle bs that's engrained in our US culture.

even people in here w there "light skinned" and "dark sinned" jokes.

i concur bro. it's just the american system which we are brought up with. it is our duty to break the chain. but there are people who are hell bent on saying otherwise. if you are born here then say that first. which is what i do. i say i was born here but im parents are from ____ first.

understand that you are living in an institution that was structured to be self dividing. like i said it is our social responsibility to realize the not so similarities make us more similar

Reactions: JPS
THIS.

My girl is full Filipino and there are shades of racism in their culture too. She'd tell me about the more primitive people in her country who happen to be darkskinned and have similar features to someone like ninjahood.

It's not anyone's fault, it's just baked into our society worldwide. It blows my mind how far this kind of thinking spans.

Side note: I usually get the 'middle eastern' too. I'm pretty racially ambiguous so I feel like I tend to blend in in black groups or Hispanic groups pretty easily too, so I've seen a lot of that ignorance from people about blacks and/or Hispanics from people when they feel like they're talking to another 'insider' and not 'one of those people.'

It's just what we've grown to accept as the human race, really. The most important thing we can do is acknowledge that it's happening EVERYWHERE instead of burying our heads in the sand and sheltering ourselves with some alternate sense of reality.

Otherwise we're just spinning our wheels spending the time infighting about it.
I'm full filipino,

it's not shades brother it's blatant. They sell soap to make your skin whiter.

when i was out there a couple of weeks ago all the locals tried avoiding the sun, chilling in the shadows. I'm on the beach catching a tan.

Philippines is hella racist

i concur bro. it's just the american system which we are brought up with. it is our duty to break the chain. but there are people who are hell bent on saying otherwise. if you are born here then say that first. which is what i do. i say i was born here but im parents are from ____ first.

understand that you are living in an institution that was structured to be self dividing. like i said it is our social responsibility to realize the not so similarities make us more similar
the toughest thing I'm working on is trying not to say the N word in rap songs. I also trying to stop using the phrase "that's hella gay" too. 

I'm full filipino,

it's not shades brother it's blatant. They sell soap to make your skin whiter.

when i was out there a couple of weeks ago all the locals tried avoiding the sun, chilling in the shadows. I'm on the beach catching a tan.

Philippines is hella racist

which is the point ksteezy and ninjahood are avoiding. i have a close friend from an asian family and they judge each other on their skin color. the more white the more rich you are because you dont work in the fields. i feel that happens all over the world

The fact that people from one of the most densely populated and diverse cities in the country on both sides of the proverbial tracks of 'race' to be oblivious to it just blows my mind.

Yeah I have an Afro-Latino wife so therefore I can't be racist....for sure I just pulled my "black friend" card

Ya stay reaching....whatever man, I already said before I couldn't care less if ya think im racist, because I'm not and I'm not gonna waste time entertaining the thought, do I say ignorant ***? Uninformed??? Yes, I'm not above bein wrong....racist tho? Nah...but whatever b.

I'm not arrogant to the point that I can't admit to being wrong, I've done so before and have public ally apologized, more than what I've seen from some of you on here.

Anyways ya got it man...wasted enough hours trying to fight and get ya to understand how most Latinos are wired and hoping for you to be sensible towards our culture....is not worth the hassle....label us as you wish...I'm white, ninja is black, etc.

The fact that people from one of the most densely populated and diverse cities in the country on both sides of the proverbial tracks of 'race' to be oblivious to it just blows my mind.
lowkey. be honest. are u really surprised lol?

the toughest thing I'm working on is trying not to say the N word in rap songs. I also trying to stop using the phrase "that's hella gay" too. 

i hardly ever said the n word because to me it seemed childish especially since i wasnt black nor did i feel i had the authority to use it.

the word is rather self incriminating, like when women call each other ******* but yet get offended when someone calls them that.

gay is very arbitrary since it has changed throughout the decades

i hardly ever said the n word because to me it seemed childish especially since i wasnt black nor did i feel i had the authority to use it.

the word is rather self incriminating, like when women call each other ******* but yet get offended when someone calls them that.

gay is very arbitrary since it has changed throughout the decades
black and hip hop culture was so engrained in me as a youth. legit, one of my career goals as a child was to become a member of the wu tang clan lmao.

Yeah I have an Afro-Latino wife so therefore I can't be racist....for sure I just pulled my "black friend" card

Ya stay reaching....whatever man, I already said before I couldn't care less if ya think im racist, because I'm not and I'm not gonna waste time entertaining the thought, do I say ignorant ***? Uninformed??? Yes, I'm not above bein wrong....racist tho? Nah...but whatever b.

I'm not arrogant to the point that I can't admit to being wrong, I've done so before and have public ally apologized, more than what I've seen from some of you on here.

Anyways ya got it man...wasted enough hours trying to fight and get ya to understand how most Latinos are wired and hoping for you to be sensible towards our culture....is not worth the hassle....label us as you wish...I'm white, ninja is black, etc.

admit that latin/spanish speaking countries are not so welcoming as you might think it is. you compare middle east people like you have met everyone from and know for a fact they are not so inviting. there are just as much people who are bigot in latin america as in eurasian.

dont make it seem like we are the class model because we are not. no one is.

black and hip hop culture was so engrained in me as a youth. legit, one of my career goals as a child was to become a member of the wu tang clan lmao.
\

i grew up more with a rock background and some hip hop. i would sometimes question my friends use of the n word. it just felt off key.

Like I said, it's part of their modus operandi of the powers that be to keep people like Ninjahood and KSteezy ignorant, because if people act like there isn't a problem nothing will be done to fix it.  There is hatred everywhere, I for one try not to sugar coat it. 

i agree. they have to realize when they step out of their comfort zones they will be subjected to categories. it happens everywhere. you have to the better person and acknowledge the differences and embrace it, instead of distancing yourself from the hate. inform the person you accept your background and meet halfway. but it seems like ksteezy and ninjahood want to recognize themselves as a certain group but can't grasp that it doesnt work that way throughout the world.

Steezy doesn't even understand the conversation:
The guy basically agrees with the prevailing thought in this thread, but is so stubborn and daft he has to go into his loudmouth ratchet routine.

i almost get a sense of i have 'black' friend so therefore i cannot be under the label of "anti-____"

I think there are two different things that happen in these threads.
Lot of you cats only look at it on the surface but you not seeing what's going on behind it.
I'm blazed right now and today I got time:

The parties arguing all seem to be in general aggreance with the topic at hand...thread gets discussed for 40 pages by said parties.

NH, Ksteezy, Rusty, Zik Anton, and a bunch of other regulars are discussing this **** and people are all saying the same **** but these characters always find a way to act like you disagreeing on something.
How is it that you dudes are always on different sides of every topic on NT?

Both parties are always saying the same thing but you all want to focus on different aspects of it and argue wit each other.
I know trolling and Anton trolls like a lil **** to get at those 2 cause he knows theyll always take the bait.

Ya cats don't like each other so you'll always argue about **** just for the sake of not liking each other.
That's why this thread is as long as it is.
Let's not fool ourselves as if it's more than that.

You can throw myself in that mix if you want.
Zik always jock me...

You guys have become the Dems and Republicans of NT.

Youre completely missing the point. To accept the label 'black' is not to disrespect your culture. The two exist on their own. I can be a proud Puerto Rican and still be a proud Black man.

And I hope you don't think I'm trying to call you a racist. This is a discussion, and in order to have a discussion your input is needed, too. I grew up in Spanish Harlem until I was about 16 then moved to the South Bronx by Yankee Stadium.

My mother moved here from Puerto Rico when she was about 11 years old. So I I'm not quite sure what makes you think you have a better understanding of how 'most Latinos are wired.'

Do you disagree that there are people all across our group of Hispanics in Latin America and the United States that shun the idea of being 'black' because of the stigma? That's basically what the discussion comes down to. If you can refute my experience with my parents and my sisters family and my Filipino family that there are deep rooted issues of self-hatred involved with being 'black' in any culture I'll concede.

Last edited:

Shut the hell up, saying I'm not intelligent enough when you just said blatant racism isn't the problem..  you obviously haven't been to the deep south with your ignorant ***. 
if you don't understand why the subtle underlying racism of this nation is a cancerous parasitic vile atomic bomb to this nation then i don't know what to tell you.

the blatant KKK, trump, Mr Highness, Bloc of this country isn't what i fear.  it's the normal everyday "good people" who don't realize they are driving the system of oppression...that's what's more dangerous.

racism is alive and well in the south. i heard a story when a friend of mine was driving through the back roads and was pulled over by some racists and they told her to keep driving and get out of here.

Nah, I suppose not. I see a lot of the same traits in my own family.
I always try to tell my homies. Just bc we live in NJ or NYC... or if we live in a "blue state". Do not think for once racism isn't around.

that's the subtle racism i speak of.

I think there are two different things that happen in these threads.
Lot of you cats only look at it on the surface but you not seeing what's going on behind it.
I'm blazed right now and today I got time:

The parties arguing all seem to be in general aggreance with the topic at hand...thread gets discussed for 40 pages by said parties.

NH, Ksteezy, Rusty, Zik Anton, and a bunch of other regulars are discussing this **** and people are all saying the same **** but these characters always find a way to act like you disagreeing on something.
How is it that you dudes are always on different sides of every topic on NT?

Both parties are always saying the same thing but you all want to focus on different aspects of it and argue wit each other.
I know trolling and Anton trolls like a lil **** to get at those 2 cause he knows theyll always take the bait.

Ya cats don't like each other so you'll always argue about **** just for the sake of not liking each other.
That's why this thread is as long as it is.
Let's not fool ourselves as if it's more than that.

You can throw myself in that mix if you want.
Zik always jock me...

You guys have become the Dems and Republicans of NT.

i believe what it boils down to is that some people cant fathom the idea of meeting half way. a lot of people are help bent on being one way of other. life is not that easy. there are tremendous shades of grey between black and white

And the worst part is while we're fighting about this, claiming not to want to toss away their culture, we just end up even more split up and less organized. Living down the hall from the 'other' people, from the 'other' place when we're all living in the same tiny box on the same struggling *** block in the same struggling *** neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom