If Kanye's next album is a classic, is he the GOAT?

StaXX wrote:
Nas is boring. Yes he's lyrically light years ahead but lyrics aren't everything in music.
Musically I'm taking Ye.

exactly... people act like nas' bad beat selection doesnt bring him down... theres plenty of people who can rap great but if the music aint great it dont mean @*$@... ever heard of eminem?

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Yeah I am mad.

Hip-Hop AINT what you only say it is. Most of ya'll stuck in the 90s and its seriously sad Its the whole damn thing. From Raekwon to Insane Clown Posse to Necro to Nas to Jay-Z to Talib to Lupe to Kanye to Drake

The WHOLE friggin gamut. If you can't respect that and understand one artists aility to come through and straight re-vamp the accesbility of the culture, you're not worth my time.
Quoted for emphasis

Nas could be the GOAT of lyricism thats it. he is probably the best rapper who cant actually rap.

Originally Posted by cartune

Nas could be the GOAT of lyricism thats it. he is probably the best rapper who cant actually rap.

Clarify.

This is my first time hearing that Nas can't rap.

Originally Posted by Garcia y Vega

cartune said:

Clarify.

People say he has a bad ear for beats. Well I see it as him always picking beats that he's comfortable on. the majority of his beats are always around 80-95 bpm. I think thats why alot of people consider Nas boring. You never see him taking risks with different flows but thats his choice. His breath control is flawed as a vet but for example Hero was a track with a higher bpm he damn near suffocated. You cant take anything away from dude lyricaly and thats why I always considered dude as a poet more so a rapper.

^ This is what happens when **%##+ look up to rappers
laugh.gif
That @%!@! dont love you back man

I just read all the pages and I wanna chime in.

Kanye is NOT the GOAT (rapper, producer)
He is a damn good ARTIST, but his albums, to me, have been declining with each release.
As previously stated, he is a 1st ballot HOF, but not the greatest to ever play.

As far as first 4 albums, no he did not release the best ever.
I would put Jay-Z ahead (RD, VOL 1-3)
Tribe (People's, Low end theory, midnight marauders,beats rhymes and life)
and the best 1st 4 rap albums ever
Outkast(southernplayalistic, ATLiens, Aquemini, Stankonia)
ahead of Kanye's 1st 4 albums (CD=classic, LR=very good, Graduation=good, 808=%%! is this crap?)

There is no doubting that Kanye has had a huge influence on pop culture this past decade, but does that make him the GOAT?
IMO.........NO, not at all.
BIG had more impact w/ only 2 releases, Pac has had more influence with what was released AFTER he died, when he had no input of what SHOULD have been released. Nas was good, but c'mon, after ILLMATIC, u can't help but go downhill from that.
Other rap artists that I think are better than Kanye, in no particular order....ALL the ones mentioned above, Geto Boys/Scarface, Gang Starr, EPMD, E-40(personal preference, from being from the bay), Dre, Cube, NWA, Snoop, KRS, thats just going off the top of my head
That puts Kanye out of the top 10 of all time, how would 1 more "good" album make him the GOAT?!?!?

BIG had more impact w/ only 2 releases, Pac has had more influence with what was released AFTER he died, when he had no input of what SHOULD have been released.
To be fair Big died before he had a chance to put out a terrible album but I'm sure if he was alive today he would of put out several sub-par albums because every artist has a few bad albums in their catalog. Same goes for Pac and none of his albums released after he died are anywhere near classic status.
Nas was good, but c'mon, after ILLMATIC, u can't help but go downhill from that.
Can't argue with your opinion but as great as Illmatic is it's not the holy grail of hip-hop albums so I don't get why everyone keeps putting it up on a pedestal and measuring every hip-hop album against it. Nas released many albums since Illmatic that are just as good if not better thematically and lyrically.

Other rap artists that I think are better than Kanye, in no particular order....ALL the ones mentioned above, Geto Boys/Scarface, Gang Starr, EPMD, E-40(personal preference, from being from the bay), Dre, Cube, NWA, Snoop, KRS, thats just going off the top of my head
That puts Kanye out of the top 10 of all time, how would 1 more "good" album make him the GOAT?!?!?
E-40 better than Ye?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
At what?? This is a perfect example of how there are no great rappers just favorite rappers. E-40 though? Really? That's pathetic…reevaluate your life. 

21e15de8345a20a84ab020880ea1c2f906bada0.gif

it was written and illmatic >>>>>>>> kanye's entire catalog....thats indisputable.

and with that said no one can challenge that, so ya can /thread and all this kanye goat nonsense...

Clarify.

People say he has a bad ear for beats. Well I see it as him always picking beats that he's comfortable on. the majority of his beats are always around 80-95 bpm. I think thats why alot of people consider Nas boring. You never see him taking risks with different flows but thats his choice. His breath control is flawed as a vet but for example Hero was a track with a higher bpm he damn near suffocated. You cant take anything away from dude lyricaly and thats why I always considered dude as a poet more so a rapper.
So rap is a sport now? by your standards Bone thugs > Nas
this thread is no place for you go back to your wilt chamberlain mixtape series 

Originally Posted by nicapino

I don't believe any of these are better besides maybe Dre and Snoop... but really with those three?
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Taj gibson

Clarify.

So rap is a sport now? by your standards Bone thugs > Nas
this thread is no place for you go back to your wilt chamberlain mixtape series 
Shut your weird #%! up 

Charles Hamilton > Kanye West

The Pink Lavalamp > Anything Kanye Ever Put Out.

got beef meet me on 119th and Lexington

I mean...what are you dudes judging stuff on?

Lyrics only? Well then yea...Kanye can't hold a candle to most of these people mentioned.

But as an all around artist? 95% of the people mentioned in this thread ain't seeing 'Ye.

Originally Posted by i LyricaLJKilla i

Lyrics only? Well then yea...Kanye can't hold a candle to most of these people mentioned.

But as an all around artist? 95% of the people mentioned in this thread ain't seeing 'Ye.

exactly... if it was all about lyrics $%!! would be poetry... flow, beats, hooks, subject matter, etc... all that $%!! matters...

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

exactly... if it was all about lyrics %%!# would be poetry... flow, beats, hooks, subject matter, etc... all that %%!# matters...
Thats what the hell I was saying before

Originally Posted by eghckk

BIG had more impact w/ only 2 releases, Pac has had more influence with what was released AFTER he died, when he had no input of what SHOULD have been released.
To be fair Big died before he had a chance to put out a terrible album but I'm sure if he was alive today he would of put out several sub-par albums because every artist has a few bad albums in their catalog. Same goes for Pac and none of his albums released after he died are anywhere near classic status.
Nas was good, but c'mon, after ILLMATIC, u can't help but go downhill from that.
Can't argue with your opinion but as great as Illmatic is it's not the holy grail of hip-hop albums so I don't get why everyone keeps putting it up on a pedestal and measuring every hip-hop album against it. Nas released many albums since Illmatic that are just as good if not better thematically and lyrically.

E-40 better than Ye?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
At what?? This is a perfect example of how there are no great rappers just favorite rappers. E-40 though? Really? That's pathetic…reevaluate your life. 
E-40>Ye…reevaluate your life.

Originally Posted by u ttocs

E-40 better than Ye?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

at what? making up words?

Originally Posted by u ttocs

E-40 better than Ye?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

We might have a slight case of mental ******ation here, gentlemen....

I liked college dropout when it came out and thru the wire is still in my top 10 songs of all time.

But after that besides a few songs, i cant stand him. Just doesnt make my type of music

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

exactly... if it was all about lyrics %%!# would be poetry... flow, beats, hooks, subject matter, etc... all that %%!# matters...
Thats what the hell I was saying before
im still laughing at da fact that you still fail to see that illmatic and it was written is better then da entire discography of kanye based on those attributes

Back
Top Bottom