If Kanye's next album is a classic, is he the GOAT?

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Dudes are gonna realize Kanye is the closest thing to "progression" in the rap game than Pac or Big or Jay ever was. Maybe when he dies or when he stop doing music... but ya'll are going to realize it.

Who you think all these blog rappers wanna be like at some point or another? I'll wait.

The game has changed. No point in acting like it hasnt.

Realize what we all agree he is really good and top 5 right now. But to argue he is the top 5 rapper in the last 30 years? C'mon THE LAST 30 YEARS. Do you think Kanye is better than the following rappers:

Tupac
Jay-z
Nas
Eminem
Biggie
Outkast (as a group which is a fair way to judge this)

All of the following people have more than 1 classic album where Kanye does not.
Artist? Yes.

Rapper...as in rapping ability? No.

I'm not budging on that.

Plus, Tupac is rated too highly as a rapper IMO. As an artist I think his position is justified.
We are only talking as a rapper because its only fair that is the only thing this all guys have in common. Im not sure where people are getting this whole "artist" mess from Kanye. Just cuz dude dropped an Auto-Tune album and made a dumb movie does not make him an artist. PAC has POETRY BOOKS. Think about it dude was a THESBIAN. How can you argue on this who "artist" thing. Kanye tries to be like that PAC WAS that. Just because he didnt sell out and make pop songs out like Kanye has tried to do doesnt make Kanye a better artist.

Dying was the best thing to ever happen to Tupac's , and for B.I.G's for that matter, legacy. I don't see how one can argue that. Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison... the list goes on and on and the point is relevant in so many areas of public life (JFK, RFK, James Dean, Belushi, etc.).
I think the saying goes "Only the good die young..."

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Dying was the best thing to ever happen to Tupac's , and for B.I.G's for that matter, legacy. I don't see how one can argue that. Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison... the list goes on and on and the point is relevant in so many areas of public life (JFK, RFK, James Dean, Belushi, etc.).

Yeah because he died at a high point in his life though. We really have no idea how Pac would be but im judging straight off albums alone. Ive already listed the albums and compared them we can even go into and talk tracks.

Kanye fans compare Kanyes bests tracks to these:

Changes
Dear Mama
California Love
Ambizions of A Ridah
Pain
Brenda's Got A Baby
Hit Em Up
Bombs First

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Yeah because he died at a high point in his life though. We really have no idea how Pac would be but im judging straight off albums alone. Ive already listed the albums and compared them we can even go into and talk tracks.

Kanye fans compare Kanyes bests tracks to these:

Changes
Dear Mama
California Love
Ambizions of A Ridah
Pain
Brenda's Got A Baby
Hit Em Up
Bombs First
I won't argue on track for track or all that stuff...
I can't put Kanye on Tupac's level just for the social relevance (not for me however). It's like The Wire vs. The Sopranos to me. Was one more entertaining and revolutionary for TV? Yes, and it's the Sopranos (changed the medium of dramatic television). Yet, The Wire was too relevant to our times, sacrificing ratings for authenticity. I won't ever understand the authenticity of a Tupac but I do realize its significance and its reach. Kanye is The Sopranos. 
What do y'all think?

And which TV shows would Nas and Jay-Z be? 
nerd.gif

lol @ Pac being in this conversation.

Some of yall need to wake the @!@% up.

Kanye is taking the ENTIRE GENRE to another level.

What Pac lacked in musical prowess, he made up for in inspiration and influence...Just so happens Kanye West does both, really well.

Originally Posted by deepinthajeep

What Pac lacked in musical prowess, he made up for in inspiration and influence...Just so happens Kanye West does both, really well.
End of conversation.

Heh...we're talking about GOAT son, so all rappers are in discussion, Kanye West been hyped up. To put it simply he's an average rapper with above average beats.

Originally Posted by i LyricaLJKilla i

End of conversation.
How does that make him GOAT rapper though? Yall @%*+%+ love making wild statements that don't address the issue then want to /thread /stop discussion
laugh.gif
Might as well log out the same time.

Originally Posted by Master Zik

End of conversation.
How does that make him GOAT rapper though? Yall @%*+%+ love making wild statements that don't address the issue then want to /thread /stop discussion
laugh.gif
Original post said not the greatest rapper or producer.....but hip hop artist overall.

Just because you are perceived to "think out of the box", doesn't necessarily mean you make great art.

Originally Posted by Master Zik

End of conversation.
laugh.gif
Original post said not the greatest rapper or producer.....but hip hop artist overall.
Correction.

How does that make him GOAT hip hop artist though? Lets assume he's taking the genre to another level (I won't even indulge with that argument). Is he the first to do that or the best to do that?

lol'ing @ Pac acting like Ye aint lacking anything
30t6p3b.gif

Average rappers don't get GOAT anything.

Best producer turned rapper sure, but give me a %$!$*+@ break.

...and I love Kanye's work.

End of conversation.
Kanye is taking Rap to another level? Really?

More so than Death Row? Death Row > Good Music if you want to be frank. How can you guys seriously compare Pacs impact on the genre to Kanye West? NONE of you guys have even posted any of Kanyes songs that %$%# with the Pac songs I listed. You guys dont even believe what yall are saying. Straight up talking out of yall !*%$%.

He's a great artist with a great catalogue. He's brought it everytime with his albums & his production makes him one of the best to do it.

At the same time, I can't put him in the GOAT in the "artist" role or "rapper" role. He's great... But I wouldn't label him as the best to do it. 1 of the best is definitly more realistic.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

i wont even give him that while Q-tip is still walking this earth breathing oxygen, and Havoc from Mobb deep patiently awaits his rap brethren to be released from prison.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

i wont even give him that while Q-tip is still walking this earth breathing oxygen, and Havoc from Mobb deep patiently awaits his rap brethren to be released from prison.

Came in here to say he's not even better than Q-tip if u wanna be honest

Originally Posted by KING x RIECE

Came in here to say he's not even better than Q-tip if u wanna be honest
To be considered the best you have to stay relevant while alive. Neither Q nor Havoc have been relevant for god knows how long so they are disqualified..

i like kanye but c'mon now
Id take Ice Cube's first 4 albums & his work on Straight Outta Compton over Ye... I'll take Dre's work on 2 NWA albums, The Chronic & 2001 over ANYthing Ye will EVER make...

BINGO!

I think this whole topic is being looked at wrong...though I agree with most saying he isnt the GOAT anything but....

I think if viewed with every musical genre Kanye as an artist should be placed in a good position, ahead of alot of "rappers" that we all hold high opinions of.

Originally Posted by Ace Rawstein

I think this whole topic is being looked at wrong...though I agree with most saying he isnt the GOAT anything but....

I think if viewed with every musical genre Kanye as an artist should be placed in a good position, ahead of alot of "rappers" that we all hold high opinions of.
But whats the point of being that? To be honest I think Andre 3000 is leaps and bounds way more artistic than Kanye West. Kanye is always trying to throw that image of him in peoples face he pretends to be more artistic than he really is. Plus Andre 300 has that southern twang.

Originally Posted by Ace Rawstein

But whats the point of being that? To be honest I think Andre 3000 is leaps and bounds way more artistic than Kanye West. Kanye is always trying to throw that image of him in peoples face he pretends to be more artistic than he really is. Plus Andre 300 has that southern twang.
i try not to separate 3 Stacks from Outkast that much...so Outkast > Kanye as an artist/group or whatever but.....far as a point, I think ppl should be more objective if they look at in a broader scope than just "rap"....i mean its just stupid to think Kanye would be considered any where near GOAT status if we talkin bout rap....."what we talking bout real issh or we talkin bout rhymes?" 

Lets not forget RZA.

Back
Top Bottom