If Kanye's next album is a classic, is he the GOAT?

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Originally Posted by JsindaA

LR is OKAY??????
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Wow. And ftr 808's is not a classic but it is musical genius, I'm guessing a lot of you don't understand it (musically that is)
After hearing college dropout and literally having it not leave my Cd player for a good 6 months I was super stoked for late registration.  Then one of the best produced songs i had ever heard was the single (diamonds from sierra lyon).  Then he started rapping.....Late registration was at best a good album.  Nothing special about it.  I listened to it about 4 times then dumped it in the stack of cds in my trunk.

Listening to 90s rap music isn't holding back progression at all.  It's moving along fine.  I'm actually a fan of getting away from Gun Rap and Drug Rap and into more Real Life rap.  That is what is selling now-a-days and that is obvious progression.

If 808s was an instrumental album i think it would have been wayyyyyy better.  Auto-crying ruined it.  One or two depressing songs is ok maybe even 3....a whole album of them.....ehh pass
i refuse to believe tha you (or anybody else here), has the musical capacity to fully take in Late Registration after four listens.
laugh.gif

it's evident that some of us simply are not hearing the same music.

I care more about lyrics then production personally.  I'm not going to pretend like im amazed by a drum loop or a soul sample.  If you say something impactful while your rapping that holds more merit to me then production.  Hence why Lupe is my favorite rapper out now

to me you can get buy with good lyrics and bad beats.  But if you have great beats and bad lyrics the album gets no play  (aka late registration)

LR is OKAY??????
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Wow. And ftr 808's is not a classic but it is musical genius, I'm guessing a lot of you don't understand it (musically that is)
After hearing college dropout and literally having it not leave my Cd player for a good 6 months I was super stoked for late registration.  Then one of the best produced songs i had ever heard was the single (diamonds from sierra lyon).  Then he started rapping.....Late registration was at best a good album.  Nothing special about it.  I listened to it about 4 times then dumped it in the stack of cds in my trunk.

Listening to 90s rap music isn't holding back progression at all.  It's moving along fine.  I'm actually a fan of getting away from Gun Rap and Drug Rap and into more Real Life rap.  That is what is selling now-a-days and that is obvious progression.

If 808s was an instrumental album i think it would have been wayyyyyy better.  Auto-crying ruined it.  One or two depressing songs is ok maybe even 3....a whole album of them.....ehh pass
i refuse to believe tha you (or anybody else here), has the musical capacity to fully take in Late Registration after four listens.
laugh.gif

I care more about lyrics then production personally.  I'm not going to pretend like im amazed by a drum loop or a soul sample.  If you say something impactful while your rapping that holds more merit to me then production.  Hence why Lupe is my favorite rapper out now

to me you can get buy with good lyrics and bad beats.  But if you have great beats and bad lyrics the album gets no play  (aka late registration)
imo some of Kanye's most impactfull songs are on LR (Diamonds, Roses, etc) some powerful @+*%. i could understand your point of view more if Kanye had regressed lyrically from CD to LR, i'm surprised that lyrically he did it for you with his first album and not the second.

again though we all have such different taste. i'm the opposite when it comes to good lyrics/bad production and vice versa.

Originally Posted by DC SOUNDS

Kanye makes Jay Z and Nas look lazy. His body of work is unmatched when it comes to passion and heart. If you want to get technical and breakdown verses and bars of course Jay Z or Nas naturally come out more impressive than him but Kanye is not your typical rapper, he is in another category. He's the kind of artist that old middle aged white people are fully aware of but still has an element of artistic integrity (no MC hammer). I always reference the Glow in the Dark Tour as an example, compare that to any other hip hop show, the dedication can't be matched. Not to mention he played a huge role in making Jay Z's most praised body of work after RD (The Blueprint). What would The Blueprint be without Kanye (or JB), the entire sound and feeling would be lost. As a matter of fact why is rap still even relevant to the average music listener/society, IMO this man alone, hate it or love it, is a big reason why the hip hop genre is still even relevant in mainstream music today, for that, regardless of whether he is technically, bar for bar, not as good as this or that rapper, makes him more important to the genre than anyone else currently doing it right now.

The only post in this entire thread that makes any sense. Kanye transcends the genre of hip-hop at this point and the Glow in the Dark Tour is a perfect example of that, no other hip-hop artists past or present could of done a tour like that. Kanye is to modern day popular music as Michael Jackson and the Beatles were in their time IMO. Everyone arguing whether he has classic albums or not is just wasting their time seeing as how you can't argue against other people's opinions, you either appreciate his albums or you don't. You can't deny his cultural significance tho, he's a living legend whether you like it or not.

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

Originally Posted by Remi23

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

what? ur joking right?

Kid Cudi Album was Not RAP Sir.
not that... about common writing it...

its listed as alternative rap... im not too big on the whole boxing things in so i dont care what genre its in but it was better than every rap album released in 2009...
Dude...Kid Cudi's Album was not better the OBFCL Pt.2.........STOP IT!

LR is OKAY??????
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif

imo some of Kanye's most impactfull songs are on LR (Diamonds, Roses, etc) some powerful @+*%. i could understand your point of view more if Kanye had regressed lyrically from CD to LR, i'm surprised that lyrically he did it for you with his first album and not the second.

again though we all have such different taste. i'm the opposite when it comes to good lyrics/bad production and vice versa.
I think CD was really fresh.  All falls down...his second verse on the  "I ain't even gonna act hollier then thou...."  was so hard to me.  Like wow your actually admitting things that normal people in your position would have done.  "I got a couple past due bills i won't get specific". 

Late registration was just too global.  I just didn't care about diamond trade in lyon and dying people in hospitals

You hear that?
What Gil Scott was hearin
When our heroes and heroines got hooked on heroin.
Crack raised the murder rate in DC and Maryland
We invested in that it's like we got Merril-Lynched
And we been hangin from the same tree ever since
Sometimes I feel the music is the only medicine
So we cook it, cut it, measure it, bag it,sell it
The fiends cop it
Nowadays they cant tell if that's that good !@@$
We ain't sure man
Put the CD on your toungue yeah, thats pure man.

Man Lyrically Ye was 10 steps ahead on LR than CD.

Late registration was just too global.  I just didn't care about diamond trade in lyon and dying people in hospitals
laugh.gif
i guess this is what you get from someone who's listened to a record a total of four times. you're missing out.

Originally Posted by LIVE BOY D

Kanye makes Jay Z and Nas look lazy. His body of work is unmatched when it comes to passion and heart. If you want to get technical and breakdown verses and bars of course Jay Z or Nas naturally come out more impressive than him but Kanye is not your typical rapper, he is in another category. He's the kind of artist that old middle aged white people are fully aware of but still has an element of artistic integrity (no MC hammer). I always reference the Glow in the Dark Tour as an example, compare that to any other hip hop show, the dedication can't be matched. Not to mention he played a huge role in making Jay Z's most praised body of work after RD (The Blueprint). What would The Blueprint be without Kanye (or JB), the entire sound and feeling would be lost. As a matter of fact why is rap still even relevant to the average music listener/society, IMO this man alone, hate it or love it, is a big reason why the hip hop genre is still even relevant in mainstream music today, for that, regardless of whether he is technically, bar for bar, not as good as this or that rapper, makes him more important to the genre than anyone else currently doing it right now.

LR is OKAY??????
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

808's is far from musically genius. Kanye did what he always does. He dug in the crates and found really good obscure samples, added some drums over it but then realized he couldn't sing and took the Zapp and Roger approach to making an album and used a machine to alter his voice. Kanye is the best sampler of the new generation, without a doubt. He started a way of producing no one had done yet back in the Blueprint era with the sped up soul samples. But to call him GOAT because of that, I can't do it. He's an above average MC and a great producer but someone who konws how to keep his mouth running in the public eye so no one forgets who he is.

The one thing I will praise Kanye for, and someone said it a few pages back, is that without a doubt he is the best Hip-Hop showman out. He definitely puts on the most entertaining hip-hop concerts. He really goes out of his way to give you a full show. But past that he's going to have to do a lot more than have another solid album to be GOAT.

^Not to be an @##!+!%,but Kanye didn't start the sped up soul sampling.RZA has ALWAYS done it and Alchemist (before a lot of people knew he even existed) was on that wavelength as well.Again i'm not being an @##!+!%.Kanye and Just did bring the %#+# back in a major way for the 2G era though.I will give em' that.

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

^Not to be an @##!+!%,but Kanye didn't start the sped up soul sampling.RZA has ALWAYS done it and Alchemist (before a lot of people knew he even existed) was on that wavelength as well.Again i'm not being an @##!+!%.Kanye and Just did bring the %#+# back in a major way for the 2G era though.I will give em' that.
Yes This Is True 

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

You hear that?
What Gil Scott was hearin
When our heroes and heroines got hooked on heroin.
Crack raised the murder rate in DC and Maryland
We invested in that it's like we got Merril-Lynched
And we been hangin from the same tree ever since
Sometimes I feel the music is the only medicine
So we cook it, cut it, measure it, bag it,sell it
The fiends cop it
Nowadays they cant tell if that's that good !@@$
We ain't sure man
Put the CD on your toungue yeah, thats pure man.

Man Lyrically Ye was 10 steps ahead on LR than CD.
Was just talkin about this last night.

One of his coldest verses.
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by eghckk

The only post in this entire thread that makes any sense. Kanye transcends the genre of hip-hop at this point and the Glow in the Dark Tour is a perfect example of that, no other hip-hop artists past or present could of done a tour like that. Kanye is to modern day popular music as Michael Jackson and the Beatles were in their time IMO. Everyone arguing whether he has classic albums or not is just wasting their time seeing as how you can't argue against other people's opinions, you either appreciate his albums or you don't. You can't deny his cultural significance tho, he's a living legend whether you like it or not.
These
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I just don't see how lyrically he is anywhere near any of the usual suspects on the "GOAT" lists.

Kanye's status as a legend is solidified. From his work as a producer, his solo albums, his overall impact on the culture (good or bad) his spot is solidified.

But at the same time, I feel like he's already hit his ceiling. He is very consistent, but can you seriously put ANY of his albums up with the Illmatics, Reasonable Doubts, Aqueminis, Ready to Dies, etc. of the rap world?

As far as his catalogue goes, he's very similar to Eminem. He has 3 good/great/arguably classic albums, but it's hard to put them up with the elite albums of the hip-hop genre. Em raps circles around 'Ye, but 'Ye makes Em look elementary on the boards.

Personally, I appreciate what he has accomplished (even though I haven't like anything he's done since Graduation) but I can't say his albums are as good as ______ or his impact comparable to Rakim, Nas, etc.

cliffnotes: Kanye is a first ballot hall of famer...but not the best to ever play the game.

Back
Top Bottom