If you were playing in the NBA, would you rather have your own signature shoe or play in PEs?

Let's stick to Jordan Brand for a minute. 

If it's retro's and PE's, you're pretty much living in the shadow.  You're wearing a shoe that has already been "established".  You're also being told what to wear.  I'm sure most of these guys don't want to wear what they're given, but it's a business and there's no privilege, unless you're Michael Jordan

If it's a signature shoe, you're bold enough to create from your own style and taste and there's people who follow and buy into it and there's some that don't.  If they're an instant sellout then you'd feel good about your design input.  It's also a gamble on what kind of designer Jordan team assigns you with.  Most of the stuff are Melo and CP3 designed by new grads and rookies- nothing like an Eric Avar, Ken Link, Jason Petrie or Tinker Hatfield. 

It's a toss up, and it varies between people and their personalities. 

first few years i'd have PE1, PE3, PE4, PE5, PE6, PE7, and PE13, then my own sig so the next guys can PE my shoes haha

first few years i'd have PE1, PE3, PE4, PE5, PE6, PE7, and PE13, then my own sig so the next guys can PE my shoes haha

Originally Posted by jonas c8891

If it's retro's and PE's, you're pretty much living in the shadow.  You're wearing a shoe that has already been "established".  You're also being told what to wear.  I'm sure most of these guys don't want to wear what they're given, but it's a business and there's no privilege, unless you're Michael Jordan

If it's a signature shoe, you're bold enough to create from your own style and taste and there's people who follow and buy into it and there's some that don't.  If they're an instant sellout then you'd feel good about your design input.  It's also a gamble on what kind of designer Jordan team assigns you with.  Most of the stuff are Melo and CP3 designed by new grads and rookies- nothing like an Eric Avar, Ken Link, Jason Petrie or Tinker Hatfield. 

So Ray Allen is living in the shadow?
You don't know what you're saying. Please sit down and be quiet. 

Originally Posted by jonas c8891

So Ray Allen is living in the shadow?
You don't know what you're saying. Please sit down and be quiet. 

seeing what happened to the CP and Melo sigs, I'll play with my own Jordan Brand PE's..

then switch to Nike Basketball so Eric Avar can design my own Signature shoe..

seeing what happened to the CP and Melo sigs, I'll play with my own Jordan Brand PE's..

then switch to Nike Basketball so Eric Avar can design my own Signature shoe..

Originally Posted by luvtheshoe

I'd want my own. I wouldn't want to walk/play in anyone's shadows.
If you look at it that way, there's no way around it, when your "own" shoe has a JUMPMAN plastered all over it. You're under MJ's umbrella anyway.

To answer the question, retro PE's. So many memories tied to every shoe from 1-14 for me. Like the idea of wearing some of my favorite shoes while representing MJ's legacy, my team, and myself all at the same time.

Originally Posted by luvtheshoe

I'd want my own. I wouldn't want to walk/play in anyone's shadows.
If you look at it that way, there's no way around it, when your "own" shoe has a JUMPMAN plastered all over it. You're under MJ's umbrella anyway.

To answer the question, retro PE's. So many memories tied to every shoe from 1-14 for me. Like the idea of wearing some of my favorite shoes while representing MJ's legacy, my team, and myself all at the same time.

I think most of the responses are looking at this from a collector's viewpoint as opposed to an NBA player's perspective.  There are several levels of footwear endorsement.  Athletes that wear player exclusives don't necessarily make any more money than players with regular footwear NIKE contracts. 

- free product only
- paid to wear product
- paid to wear product plus bonuses for promoting shoe in media
- signature shoe not specifically named for athlete (Nash, Nowitzki, Stoudemire)
- signature line of footwear, apparel, accessories (Penny, Melo, LBJ)
- own brand (Jordan)

I think most of the responses are looking at this from a collector's viewpoint as opposed to an NBA player's perspective.  There are several levels of footwear endorsement.  Athletes that wear player exclusives don't necessarily make any more money than players with regular footwear NIKE contracts. 

- free product only
- paid to wear product
- paid to wear product plus bonuses for promoting shoe in media
- signature shoe not specifically named for athlete (Nash, Nowitzki, Stoudemire)
- signature line of footwear, apparel, accessories (Penny, Melo, LBJ)
- own brand (Jordan)

Id stick with PE's. Seems like JB cant mess up timeless retros in sick colorways. They can however, jack up shoes they create for specific players. The CP3.1 was the only nice one to me, and only some Melos have done things for me, but IMO two of the best were the .5 lines.

Id stick with PE's. Seems like JB cant mess up timeless retros in sick colorways. They can however, jack up shoes they create for specific players. The CP3.1 was the only nice one to me, and only some Melos have done things for me, but IMO two of the best were the .5 lines.

Given the choice a lot of you guys would choose to be followers instead of leaders? That's what it boils down to when you wear someone elses shoes.

I would want to wear my own shoe. 10 times out of 10.

Given the choice a lot of you guys would choose to be followers instead of leaders? That's what it boils down to when you wear someone elses shoes.

Originally Posted by heelntoe wit my nyks

no...and wouldn't having a sig shoe with a Jumpman make you a follower anyways??? I just think sigs that JB gives players are ugly as hell...I'd want PE's of I-XIV....just my opinion...I mean...I'd love to have my own shoe...who wouldn't...but with what I've seen from JB...I'd have to say no on the sig....Nike on the other hand...I'd take a sig shoe from Nike in a heartbeat

Originally Posted by heelntoe wit my nyks

no...and wouldn't having a sig shoe with a Jumpman make you a follower anyways??? I just think sigs that JB gives players are ugly as hell...I'd want PE's of I-XIV....just my opinion...I mean...I'd love to have my own shoe...who wouldn't...but with what I've seen from JB...I'd have to say no on the sig....Nike on the other hand...I'd take a sig shoe from Nike in a heartbeat

I'd do what gil is currently doing. Rock what I want, when I want! 
But to answer the question, I'd rather have a signature shoe. I'd have more input on the sneaker and who knows, maybe they'll retro them down the line!

I'd do what gil is currently doing. Rock what I want, when I want! 
But to answer the question, I'd rather have a signature shoe. I'd have more input on the sneaker and who knows, maybe they'll retro them down the line!

Back
Top Bottom