Illiteracy in Louisiana ?... (don't even try to top this)

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

and Danny Almonte, it took me 30 seconds to find FREE classes being held by volunteers in the Baton Rouge area .
Congrats, bro. You can read. Imagine trying to find something like that without being able to use the internet or anything of the sort. Not saying that's an excuse, but you being able to find free classes has no relevance to this topic.

really? no relevance? I agree that I was wrong to overlook the fact that the people who need these programs might not know they existed. But the point is thatoppurtunities to learn at any age exist, you just have to have the desire to learn.

even if you dont attend classes, not EVERYONE in your community is illiterate...theres always someone who can help out

A lot of you are blaming it on their environment, lack of parenting, the public school system, etc. But shouldn't the person come to a point in life wherethey just need to step up to the plate, swallow their pride, and figure out how to read. My dad came from a third world country where the slums make Louisianalook like Beverly Hills and was forced to drop out of school at a very early age so he could work to survive. He was illiterate but before immigrating here, hedecided to learn how to read because he knew it was a necessity in life. There are no excuses to be made for a 34 year old woman in the US who has a lot moreaccess to schools, libraries, and learning centers. At some point you have to stop blaming the environment and start looking at the person.

Originally Posted by dustblaaze

A lot of you are blaming it on their environment, lack of parenting, the public school system, etc. But shouldn't the person come to a point in life where they just need to step up to the plate, swallow their pride, and figure out how to read. My dad came from a third world country where the slums make Louisiana look like Beverly Hills and was forced to drop out of school at a very early age so he could work to survive. He was illiterate but before immigrating here, he decided to learn how to read because he knew it was a necessity in life. There are no excuses to be made for a 34 year old woman in the US who has a lot more access to schools, libraries, and learning centers. At some point you have to stop blaming the environment and start looking at the person.
thank you...MILLIONS of immigrants came to this country while being illiterate and learned how to read to survive...

i'm 34 and live in livingston parish, have for almost 30 years and i really hope this is a joke. livingston parish has some of the top schools in thestate. if she's from this area, then there is NO reason for her not to be able to read. schools have never been "over crowded" in this area,especially back when she would've been going to school. aside from p.e. i never had more than 25 students in any class. now people are moving to livingstonparish left and right because of the high ratings the schools get and they're building new schools constantly to keep classroom sizes down.
sounds to me like she, and pretty much everyone else who can't read, is just lazy. swallow your pride and ask for help. if you want it bad enoughyou'll find a way to make it happen.

A lot of you are blaming it on their environment, lack of parenting, the public school system, etc. But shouldn't the person come to a point in life where they just need to step up to the plate, swallow their pride, and figure out how to read. My dad came from a third world country where the slums make Louisiana look like Beverly Hills and was forced to drop out of school at a very early age so he could work to survive. He was illiterate but before immigrating here, he decided to learn how to read because he knew it was a necessity in life. There are no excuses to be made for a 34 year old woman in the US who has a lot more access to schools, libraries, and learning centers. At some point you have to stop blaming the environment and start looking at the person.
So he didn't learn til he saw it as a necessity. He had a push to learn which was coming here. These people are already here, and alreadyworking. Who knows maybe once their kids are grown, they will go out and learn, but right now their main focus is most likely working

Originally Posted by imperialh8

Maybe where this lady is from, it wasn't that important to read to get through the days, so it was never her agenda. Communicating verbally was enough.
How is reading unimportant anywhere in the US? I'm narrow minded for expecting a grown woman in the US to be able to read street signs ?
laugh.gif
I thought the whole California Exit Exam being biased against latinos and females theory was ridiculous enough, now people are making excuses for illiteracy
laugh.gif
No because your not taking the time to think about why she cant read. Everything is not as clear as day, some things you have to think about.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

There's no excuse for this I know people who have immigrated to this country and spoke no English that have taught themselves to be fluent in a few years. People in here need to stop making excuses.
people in America are lazy, why do you think the immigrants that do come over here always make more money than most Americans. There's noexcuses for her not being able to read, but i can understand why she cant.

Originally Posted by KanyeWestJayZ4life

There's no excuse for this I know people who have immigrated to this country and spoke no English that have taught themselves to be fluent in a few years. People in here need to stop making excuses.
people in America are lazy, why do you think the immigrants that do come over here always make more money than most Americans. There's no excuses for her not being able to read, but i can understand why she cant.

you basically just repeated what I've been saying throughout the thread
laugh.gif

people in America are lazy, why do you think the immigrants that do come over here always make more money than most Americans. There's no excuses for her not being able to read, but i can understand why she cant.

I was going to counter your arguments, but when you make statements like that....Its not even worth it.

Originally Posted by Diego

I was going to counter your arguments, but when you make statements like that....Its not even worth it.

at least where I'm from, this is mostly true. at the very least they make more than other american minorities.

Originally Posted by Wade187

So he didn't learn til he saw it as a necessity. He had a push to learn which was coming here. These people are already here, and already working. Who knows maybe once their kids are grown, they will go out and learn, but right now their main focus is most likely working
There are jobs where you never have to read ANYTHING EVER? How do you even get a job if you can't read, don't you have to fill out anapplication or give in a resume or something? Isn't there a handbook or something you would need to read? Someone please fill me in on these jobs that donot require ANY reading.

Maybe where this lady is from, it wasn't that important to read to get through the days, so it was never her agenda. Communicating verbally was enough.
How is reading unimportant anywhere in the US? I'm narrow minded for expecting a grown woman in the US to be able to read street signs ?
laugh.gif
I thought the whole California Exit Exam being biased against latinos and females theory was ridiculous enough, now people are making excuses for illiteracy
laugh.gif
No because your not taking the time to think about why she cant read. Everything is not as clear as day, some things you have to think about.

roll.gif
stop trying to justify dumb _s

smh.gif
at people getting upset because some of us are "quick to judge." Of course. When you hear of a 34 year old woman who can obviously speak, butcan't read, it's a fair judgement to consider her a lazy idiot. I mean, what about that doesn't make sense? It's not disrespectful, it'saccurate.

Originally Posted by Diego

at least where I'm from, this is mostly true. at the very least they make more than other american minorities.
Where you from?

got some dudes in here really thinking that a 34 year can not go to a store and buy a $2 Leap Frog book and learn how to read. You have lived for 34years...somehow you are able to recieve income and live. If you can live and get income I'm pretty damn sure you can go to a dollar store and buy a simplebook.

smh.gif

-The Juice

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I agree. That was just an ignorant comment. There's no excuse for illiteracy in this country.

I never said it was an excuse...and I didn't say it was unimportant...I agree everyone should learn to read and the illiteracy rate in this country isridiculous especially for a country that has a standard like us...but this Sh*t happens...

I stated, that to the "INDIVIDUAL" these occurrences are probably true...

Originally Posted by JDocs

Originally Posted by Wade187

So he didn't learn til he saw it as a necessity. He had a push to learn which was coming here. These people are already here, and already working. Who knows maybe once their kids are grown, they will go out and learn, but right now their main focus is most likely working
There are jobs where you never have to read ANYTHING EVER? How do you even get a job if you can't read, don't you have to fill out an application or give in a resume or something? Isn't there a handbook or something you would need to read? Someone please fill me in on these jobs that do not require ANY reading.
cook, busser, seamstress, custodian, greeter, maid.... there are a bunch of jobs you could get by without reading a single work, as long assomeone showed you how to do a few things or pointed some things out.

Back
Top Bottom