Is hip-hop to blame for the youth acting out? bunB and Lupe speak to teacher

I think I know what Lupe is saying, but he just came off a bit too strong...Hip hop's influence doesn't extend to just youth either. Look at all these bums out here nowadays thinking they can rap when all they're doing is writing down garbage rhymes and leeching off whoever to pursue that life

I think I know what Lupe is saying, but he just came off a bit too strong...Hip hop's influence doesn't extend to just youth either. Look at all these bums out here nowadays thinking they can rap when all they're doing is writing down garbage rhymes and leeching off whoever to pursue that life

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Parents! Granted, there are a few exceptions but just because YOU think you can rap doesn't mean you're the next jay-z.  Here in L.A., you have a bunch of parents whoring their children out for a quick buck. A few examples..all these jerk dancers turned rappers who are now fully tatted up without a highschool diploma because their parents wanted them to cash-in on a fad. The other a girl rap group that started at Hamilton High when they were sophomores named Pink Dollaz...all they rap about is sex and how many dudes done ate them out, etc. Where are the parents signing these contracts for their children to perform this type of music.
Los Angeles breeds these knuckleheads into thinking its cool to hang out on fairfax and do the cat-daddy. We teach kids to be the club promoter..not the club owner. 

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Parents! Granted, there are a few exceptions but just because YOU think you can rap doesn't mean you're the next jay-z.  Here in L.A., you have a bunch of parents whoring their children out for a quick buck. A few examples..all these jerk dancers turned rappers who are now fully tatted up without a highschool diploma because their parents wanted them to cash-in on a fad. The other a girl rap group that started at Hamilton High when they were sophomores named Pink Dollaz...all they rap about is sex and how many dudes done ate them out, etc. Where are the parents signing these contracts for their children to perform this type of music.
Los Angeles breeds these knuckleheads into thinking its cool to hang out on fairfax and do the cat-daddy. We teach kids to be the club promoter..not the club owner. 

HankMoody wrote:
It will always be the parents' fault first and foremost... people don't learn because education is not valued in the household. Look at other cultures and educational success rates. It's ingrained in the child's head by those closest to them. People overplay the significance of a show or song while undervaluing the importance of a good parent.

Edit: Lupe should know this first and foremost. Read up on his childhood. Blaming teachers or rappers is a cop-out. It's pathetic.

Exactly i dont see how as esp black ppl began to become single parent households, less time interacting with kids, single parents making more money now and the ever rising trend of 50k a yr living like 100k a year coorelates wth whats going on in society i dont know what to say.

How is the lil wayne fault that a parent buys they baby clothing and shoes they dont even concept or no what they are instead of the baby can read series? Yall are saying its rick ross fault that instead of speanding money on a trip that will enrich there minds, they go out and buy a 52 inch 3d tv? Jeezy is the cause of instead of parents cooking at home and having a family dinner where everyone discuss their day life etc, parent ops for mckie dees, plop the food infront of kid, turn to cartoon network, leave the kid unattending in there rooms, and go on the other side of the house and twit, facebooking etc. Plies is the reason parents say i want you to go to college i believe in you etc... but dont ssave for there college fund, and use said money on a car thats out they budget,going out on the weekend while the grandparents,other parent watch the kids.

I cant see how gucci mane is the reason parents will buy their kid the latest grand theft auto, but not rosetta stone. Please explain to me how waka flocka music makes a parent not be a volunteer at the kids school, help them with homework, be apart of pta, have a working relationship with the teaching/school staff. So its t.i. cd that makes a single mother suffer from parent alienating syndrome. Nicki Minaj music stops parents from not spending money on useless things and prevent them from taking trips/vacations etc to different places states countries, to get exposure to other cultures. A parent was going to make they child go check out and read a book a week everyweek until she popped in that drake cd, is that what ppl are saying?

Ppl keep talking about kids in that teenage preteen demographic, but guess what kids arent 15 at birth. Its parenting,decisions, environment etc which lead to this preteen teen to this detrimental state. A kid who said f school, chances are school wasnt emphasized as far back as k/pre k. A kid who think reading is lame chances are didnt read or was read to as a child. A kid who doesnt believe in themself as far as postsecondary education, chances are parents live nice, or give the illusion that they do, and didnt attend post secondary college, and also dont emphasize the importnce from day one, also probably havent finacially and socially prepared kid for it. A kid who seeks love guidance etc from the streets, chances are arent getting that and attention from home? A girl who grew up hearing and seeing her moms dog/use men degrade baby daddy, think its all about getting money, taken to decent places, shopping etc.. from day one. And shows no proof that it takes education/hardwork to achieve things.

Iuno why ppl think a kid who parents have no education, no one around them does, but yet instill live fab lives, dont instill values etc eucation, a moral compass, expect after a decade, decade in a half it just suppose to just change like the flip of a light switch. Its like having a dog for 12 yrs never played with him never properly trained him spend time with him, then take him in the house and suprise he isnt house broken and peeing everywhere, runs lose and wild in the streets, and chewing up everything in sight.

HankMoody wrote:
It will always be the parents' fault first and foremost... people don't learn because education is not valued in the household. Look at other cultures and educational success rates. It's ingrained in the child's head by those closest to them. People overplay the significance of a show or song while undervaluing the importance of a good parent.

Edit: Lupe should know this first and foremost. Read up on his childhood. Blaming teachers or rappers is a cop-out. It's pathetic.

Exactly i dont see how as esp black ppl began to become single parent households, less time interacting with kids, single parents making more money now and the ever rising trend of 50k a yr living like 100k a year coorelates wth whats going on in society i dont know what to say.

How is the lil wayne fault that a parent buys they baby clothing and shoes they dont even concept or no what they are instead of the baby can read series? Yall are saying its rick ross fault that instead of speanding money on a trip that will enrich there minds, they go out and buy a 52 inch 3d tv? Jeezy is the cause of instead of parents cooking at home and having a family dinner where everyone discuss their day life etc, parent ops for mckie dees, plop the food infront of kid, turn to cartoon network, leave the kid unattending in there rooms, and go on the other side of the house and twit, facebooking etc. Plies is the reason parents say i want you to go to college i believe in you etc... but dont ssave for there college fund, and use said money on a car thats out they budget,going out on the weekend while the grandparents,other parent watch the kids.

I cant see how gucci mane is the reason parents will buy their kid the latest grand theft auto, but not rosetta stone. Please explain to me how waka flocka music makes a parent not be a volunteer at the kids school, help them with homework, be apart of pta, have a working relationship with the teaching/school staff. So its t.i. cd that makes a single mother suffer from parent alienating syndrome. Nicki Minaj music stops parents from not spending money on useless things and prevent them from taking trips/vacations etc to different places states countries, to get exposure to other cultures. A parent was going to make they child go check out and read a book a week everyweek until she popped in that drake cd, is that what ppl are saying?

Ppl keep talking about kids in that teenage preteen demographic, but guess what kids arent 15 at birth. Its parenting,decisions, environment etc which lead to this preteen teen to this detrimental state. A kid who said f school, chances are school wasnt emphasized as far back as k/pre k. A kid who think reading is lame chances are didnt read or was read to as a child. A kid who doesnt believe in themself as far as postsecondary education, chances are parents live nice, or give the illusion that they do, and didnt attend post secondary college, and also dont emphasize the importnce from day one, also probably havent finacially and socially prepared kid for it. A kid who seeks love guidance etc from the streets, chances are arent getting that and attention from home? A girl who grew up hearing and seeing her moms dog/use men degrade baby daddy, think its all about getting money, taken to decent places, shopping etc.. from day one. And shows no proof that it takes education/hardwork to achieve things.

Iuno why ppl think a kid who parents have no education, no one around them does, but yet instill live fab lives, dont instill values etc eucation, a moral compass, expect after a decade, decade in a half it just suppose to just change like the flip of a light switch. Its like having a dog for 12 yrs never played with him never properly trained him spend time with him, then take him in the house and suprise he isnt house broken and peeing everywhere, runs lose and wild in the streets, and chewing up everything in sight.

Lupe's right though... A lot of the stuff taught in schools kids don't use. Sure you have your needs taught in school, but to an extent, everything else isn't as important as teaching kids real life lessons. I think that's the point he was getting at & its true.

Bun B came 100% correct too.

Lupe's right though... A lot of the stuff taught in schools kids don't use. Sure you have your needs taught in school, but to an extent, everything else isn't as important as teaching kids real life lessons. I think that's the point he was getting at & its true.

Bun B came 100% correct too.

Guidance, drugs, apathy, education, jobs, strength, tradition, will, excuses.

I hate rap music of today, and I absolutely refuse to listen to it. The arts are a big influence on our society, and rap music is that, and we can't be naive as to think otherwise. But we still need to teach our children how to navigate in the world of success to be successful in this world, ya dig?

"Don't blame me/ I was given this WORLD, I didn't make it"/ These words have so much behind them, it can be the title and subject of a book especially the word World.

Guidance, drugs, apathy, education, jobs, strength, tradition, will, excuses.

I hate rap music of today, and I absolutely refuse to listen to it. The arts are a big influence on our society, and rap music is that, and we can't be naive as to think otherwise. But we still need to teach our children how to navigate in the world of success to be successful in this world, ya dig?

"Don't blame me/ I was given this WORLD, I didn't make it"/ These words have so much behind them, it can be the title and subject of a book especially the word World.

Lupe is absolutely right. 
Hip Hop is more "real" than school. Especially the schools which operate our current education system. 

Hip Hop offers a glimpse of a slice of society. Whether you like it or not is a different story. 

Hip Hop is more "real" than school. Especially the schools which operate our current education system. 

Hip Hop offers a glimpse of a slice of society. Whether you like it or not is a different story. 

I have much respect for Bun after that 
pimp.gif

Lupe came off as an angry hater, but I know what he was getting at and he could of articulated it more effectively.

Society is always played off against each other. Its always about "who's to blame". In all reality, everyone is... so it's an even playing field. The world was built on the back of slaves, assassinations, slaughters, lies, etc. That's just the world we live in. No one's hands are cleaned. Why is Hip Hop always singled out? Why is Hip Hop the "black sheep" and the "scapegoat" for societal behavior? Rock and Rollers glorified sex, drugs and alcohol back in its hay day. In fact, compare how many Rock stars died from alcohol poisoning/drug abuse to rappers?.....I'll wait...... I can't see it any other way but just a downplay of the african american community through our culture.  

Everything has influence on everyone, from birth to death, everything you are exposed to or accept in your life will mold and shape you along the way. You can't point a finger directly at one thing.

Hip Hop is kind of like how back in the day when we all thought wrestling was real until someone told us it wasn't or we fig'd it out. On the other hand, no one is telling these kids its not (and there's a reason). At the end of the day its entertainment 90% of your favorite rappers never did/do 90% of the stuff they claim they did/do. But they know you like to hear about it, because its entertaining. You can replace the characters of COD or Grand Theft Auto with your favorite rapper.

Kids are kids. They need to be nurtured, its only a matter of them getting the right nutrition. I won't say Hip Hop is a direct influence to all negativity in society but it definitely has an influence on the african american/ community/minorities. We have the largest percentage of broken homes; single parents, dead beat parents, drug abused parents, etc. They NEED a figure to learn from and they'll either turn to the streets' elders or turn to the famous african americans for inspiration (and if its a rapper, they'll usually direct them back to the streets anyway). Look at who runs the country, economically, politically, socially: white folks. Who are the OWNERS, CEO's, LEADERS, GOVERNMENT ELECTIVES(even though the govt's a fraud)? White folks. Lets bring it even down a notch: Who are the majority of DOCTORS, LAWYERS, ACCOUNTANTS, FINANCIERS?: white folks. We don't identify with them. but the little white boys and girls do and that's why they'll just keep being owners, CEO's, leaders, doctors, lawyers, etc. What do we have? Entertainers (rappers, athletes, comedians, actors). 

Now you take a black kid, raised in an impoverished society, single-to-no parent, having little to none of the basic necessities and sit him in front of the tv everyday to watch another black man with everything he wants/needs, but only hyper-inflated. Its obvious what the outcome will be.  

at the end of the day its all a part of the system of hierarchy and keeping everyone in there place but I won't touch on that. you guys don't like "conspiracy theorist" 
laugh.gif

I have much respect for Bun after that 
pimp.gif

Lupe came off as an angry hater, but I know what he was getting at and he could of articulated it more effectively.

Society is always played off against each other. Its always about "who's to blame". In all reality, everyone is... so it's an even playing field. The world was built on the back of slaves, assassinations, slaughters, lies, etc. That's just the world we live in. No one's hands are cleaned. Why is Hip Hop always singled out? Why is Hip Hop the "black sheep" and the "scapegoat" for societal behavior? Rock and Rollers glorified sex, drugs and alcohol back in its hay day. In fact, compare how many Rock stars died from alcohol poisoning/drug abuse to rappers?.....I'll wait...... I can't see it any other way but just a downplay of the african american community through our culture.  

Everything has influence on everyone, from birth to death, everything you are exposed to or accept in your life will mold and shape you along the way. You can't point a finger directly at one thing.

Hip Hop is kind of like how back in the day when we all thought wrestling was real until someone told us it wasn't or we fig'd it out. On the other hand, no one is telling these kids its not (and there's a reason). At the end of the day its entertainment 90% of your favorite rappers never did/do 90% of the stuff they claim they did/do. But they know you like to hear about it, because its entertaining. You can replace the characters of COD or Grand Theft Auto with your favorite rapper.

Kids are kids. They need to be nurtured, its only a matter of them getting the right nutrition. I won't say Hip Hop is a direct influence to all negativity in society but it definitely has an influence on the african american/ community/minorities. We have the largest percentage of broken homes; single parents, dead beat parents, drug abused parents, etc. They NEED a figure to learn from and they'll either turn to the streets' elders or turn to the famous african americans for inspiration (and if its a rapper, they'll usually direct them back to the streets anyway). Look at who runs the country, economically, politically, socially: white folks. Who are the OWNERS, CEO's, LEADERS, GOVERNMENT ELECTIVES(even though the govt's a fraud)? White folks. Lets bring it even down a notch: Who are the majority of DOCTORS, LAWYERS, ACCOUNTANTS, FINANCIERS?: white folks. We don't identify with them. but the little white boys and girls do and that's why they'll just keep being owners, CEO's, leaders, doctors, lawyers, etc. What do we have? Entertainers (rappers, athletes, comedians, actors). 

Now you take a black kid, raised in an impoverished society, single-to-no parent, having little to none of the basic necessities and sit him in front of the tv everyday to watch another black man with everything he wants/needs, but only hyper-inflated. Its obvious what the outcome will be.  

at the end of the day its all a part of the system of hierarchy and keeping everyone in there place but I won't touch on that. you guys don't like "conspiracy theorist" 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Honest Abe Lives

If I were a betting man, I would not bet on the upliftment of the urban community. And when I say urban, I don't just mean black. I mean black, hispanic, south east asian, everyone in the struggle.

Why? Well the main reason is that many people cannot get beyond a victimized mindset. Is the world unfair? Yes. Are some born with much better odds than others? Yes. Those are the harsh realities of the situation.

But how do you react to that? Do you say - "well someone should fix this situation!" Sure, you could. But that's not productive. That doesn't do anything. Nobody will fix it. Because winners never care about the losers. Not in sports, not in entertainment, not in society, not in America. Even if they won by starting with an unfair advantage. They just don't because there is no real incentive to.

So once you understand that nobody is going to give you any REAL sustainable help, what do you do? You just have to work your @%+ off.

But you don't. Because you're distracted. And part of that distraction is the mainstream hip-hop image.

It's not hip-hop's fault, but unfortunately hip-hop IS unwittingly part of the problem.
very well expressed. 

Originally Posted by Honest Abe Lives

If I were a betting man, I would not bet on the upliftment of the urban community. And when I say urban, I don't just mean black. I mean black, hispanic, south east asian, everyone in the struggle.

Why? Well the main reason is that many people cannot get beyond a victimized mindset. Is the world unfair? Yes. Are some born with much better odds than others? Yes. Those are the harsh realities of the situation.

But how do you react to that? Do you say - "well someone should fix this situation!" Sure, you could. But that's not productive. That doesn't do anything. Nobody will fix it. Because winners never care about the losers. Not in sports, not in entertainment, not in society, not in America. Even if they won by starting with an unfair advantage. They just don't because there is no real incentive to.

So once you understand that nobody is going to give you any REAL sustainable help, what do you do? You just have to work your @%+ off.

But you don't. Because you're distracted. And part of that distraction is the mainstream hip-hop image.

It's not hip-hop's fault, but unfortunately hip-hop IS unwittingly part of the problem.
very well expressed. 

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Def agree with this. However, it seems people only learn that slice of reality and don't understand the merits of education. Both entities are good but one needs guidance to realize that.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Def agree with this. However, it seems people only learn that slice of reality and don't understand the merits of education. Both entities are good but one needs guidance to realize that.

nice promotion by bun for lupe
laugh.gif

bun did make a lot of points though.
idk how people say lupe didnt say anything....hes saying how messed up america is..education sucks. poverty is up.....education the way it is bc of hip hop? no

nice promotion by bun for lupe
laugh.gif

bun did make a lot of points though.
idk how people say lupe didnt say anything....hes saying how messed up america is..education sucks. poverty is up.....education the way it is bc of hip hop? no

Originally Posted by ThorrocksJs

Lupe is completely wrong about that school books being antiquated. Teaching kids how to grow plants won't teach them how to write up a contract or set up a business plan.Or teach them figures of speech and what not.Those antiquated history books are to inform folks of the past and of how conflicts can be settled.Its imo for prevention nobody wants another ww3 or vietnam.Most people learn their rights and what the amendments are through those antiquated text books.That knowledge of shapes angles and geometry get applied when people work even the most basic manual labor jobs. Lupe is the main person talking about be the next bill gates,maya angelou and what not but at the same time he is telling kids yall don't need that yall need to be able to farm and work basic jobs.Dude contradicted himself bad.

I agree. I feel that subjects like geometry and calculus are essential for young kids to learn. It teaches them fundamental lessons besides the actual mathematics

1. It teaches kids that there is no hand outs. You work hard, you are rewarded. You slack, you face the consequences
2. I think it opens doors to fields that urban youth are not represented well in (medicine, engineering, applied science etc), instead of just getting them ready for menial jobs
3. And the most important lesson I believe it teaches kids is that they are in control of their own fate. Whether their be prejudices or hindrances in the classroom, nobody can take a right answer away from you. You can succeed despite the odds that are put against you

This is honestly what calculus in HS taught me. There were kids in my class who failed and said "well i will never use this anyway". I don't think they got the real lesson at the end of the day

Originally Posted by ThorrocksJs

Lupe is completely wrong about that school books being antiquated. Teaching kids how to grow plants won't teach them how to write up a contract or set up a business plan.Or teach them figures of speech and what not.Those antiquated history books are to inform folks of the past and of how conflicts can be settled.Its imo for prevention nobody wants another ww3 or vietnam.Most people learn their rights and what the amendments are through those antiquated text books.That knowledge of shapes angles and geometry get applied when people work even the most basic manual labor jobs. Lupe is the main person talking about be the next bill gates,maya angelou and what not but at the same time he is telling kids yall don't need that yall need to be able to farm and work basic jobs.Dude contradicted himself bad.

I agree. I feel that subjects like geometry and calculus are essential for young kids to learn. It teaches them fundamental lessons besides the actual mathematics

1. It teaches kids that there is no hand outs. You work hard, you are rewarded. You slack, you face the consequences
2. I think it opens doors to fields that urban youth are not represented well in (medicine, engineering, applied science etc), instead of just getting them ready for menial jobs
3. And the most important lesson I believe it teaches kids is that they are in control of their own fate. Whether their be prejudices or hindrances in the classroom, nobody can take a right answer away from you. You can succeed despite the odds that are put against you

This is honestly what calculus in HS taught me. There were kids in my class who failed and said "well i will never use this anyway". I don't think they got the real lesson at the end of the day

Back
Top Bottom