is it Really Not OK to Not Know who Paul McCarteny Is???

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

If you can tell me the historical impact Bone, 3-6, Immature, B2K, and Soul 4 Real have had, then I can see your POV. 

Rav, well said. 
3-6: Oscar
Bone: Grammy

The rest not so much I just threw those random names out there. But my point was are people only not well versed in music for not knowing white artists? Because there are people that have contributed significantly to the black music scene that some feel a person "should" know.
None of the people/groups you mentioned are/were as prolific and famous as Paul though. It's like saying you're into basketball but you don't know who Jordan is. 
I still don't see the historical impact of 3-6 & Bone Thugs, even with their awards.  But maybe it's just me.  I mean, it's good that they have those accolades, but there is no comparison.  The Beatles impact was on not only in music, but society. 

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by RavageBX

It's ok not to know who Paul McCartney is. It's not ok to want people to respect your musical opinion afterwards though. That's like wanting to talk politics but not knowing who Abe Lincoln is. In general you should be knowledgeable of people who have had historical impact in all walks of life. It's called being well-rounded.

Basically. It's very embarrassing if you listen to a lot of music. 

well seems kinda racial bias.... seeing esp the month it is... i mean you could go out and ask ppl who is bobby seale or eldridge cleaver.. or missed out on the grammys etta james. and outside a few older heads they would have no clue... so are you saying the vast majority of americans are not well rounded
Yes. I am.

So.....if a "suburban thug" didn't know the names of any of the members of Bone, 36, Immature, B2K, Soul For Real would they be considered musically versed? Or does that only apply for knowing white artists?
If you can tell me the historical impact Bone, 3-6, Immature, B2K, and Soul 4 Real have had, then I can see your POV. 

Rav, well said. 
3-6: Oscar
Bone: Grammy

The rest not so much I just threw those random names out there. But my point was are people only not well versed in music for not knowing white artists? Because there are people that have contributed significantly to the black music scene that some feel a person "should" know.

Ugh. They arent just some white band. Shame on you.

Originally Posted by 0cks

McJagger > McRib

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I still don't see the historical impact of 3-6 & Bone Thugs, even with their awards.  But maybe it's just me.  I mean, it's good that they have those accolades, but there is no comparison.  The Beatles impact was on not only in music, but society. 

It is ok if you don't understand. Unless you lived in the "culture" you probably didn't see their significance. But I would credit Bone with bringing back males wearing cornrows fad. If it weren't for Bone I doubt you would have seen those dudes below. So yea, they mattered. And of course their music mattered. But again, it goes back to my main point of Not knowing White Stars = Not Well Versed. Not knowing Black Stars = Doesn't lose music knowledge credibility. 
images

images

Originally Posted by cap1229

Ugh. They arent just some white band. Shame on you.

Show me where I said they were Captain. 

But you dudes were %!#@$@@+ on those people even though none of those people claimed to be well rounded musically.
As yrs go by it's not out of the realm of possibility that a well rounded person doesn't know who Paul McCartney is.

And though MOST of you will deny it I'm sure the majority of you can't name all the members of The Beatles.
Lettuce be reality.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Basically. It's very embarrassing if you listen to a lot of music. 

well seems kinda racial bias.... seeing esp the month it is... i mean you could go out and ask ppl who is bobby seale or eldridge cleaver.. or missed out on the grammys etta james. and outside a few older heads they would have no clue... so are you saying the vast majority of americans are not well rounded
Yes. I am.

lol i was gonna use religion and say how if you showed most ppl a pic of cesare borgia they would swear its jesus, and i think ppl view see religion more highly then rock and roll/pop music.

Originally Posted by Regis

And though MOST of you will deny it I'm sure the majority of you can't name all the members of The Beatles.
Lettuce be reality.
I can't. Not ashamed of it either.
Ringo

McCartney.

And I probably learned those 2 within the last 3 years (if not more recent than that).

I know the Beetles, didn't know I was supposed to know all individuals. However many there are. 4?

Sue me!

Lettuce be reality.
Ringo

McCartney.

And I probably learned those 2 within the last 3 years (if not more recent than that).

I know the Beetles, didn't know I was supposed to know all individuals. However many there are. 4?

Sue me!
No John Lennon though? 
alien.gif

And I guess not many dudes know George Harrison.

Lettuce be reality.
Ringo

McCartney.

Sue me!
beetleborgs.jpg

It's not about race DC. Stop it.

Actually it is because the majority of people making the claim of not knowing dude were young black people. And I explained WHY young black people would probably not know who dude is. So yes it IS about race. So I will continue.
Thanks. 
pimp.gif

not knowing who Macca is just shows a lack of caring about the past IMO...i also can't talk music with someone who doesn't know who he is.

Originally Posted by Wilroc

No John Lennon though? 
alien.gif

Heard the name before. If I was handed a blank piece of paper with his name of it asking me to write who he was I wouldn't have known before you just told me. 

Sue me.

Some of you Nters are too full of yourselves.

...As if talking music with YOU should be some sort of honor.

laugh.gif
 Right.

Some of you Nters are too full of yourselves.

...As if talking music with YOU should be some sort of honor.

It's not about race DC. Stop it.

Actually it is because the majority of people making the claim of not knowing dude were young black people. And I explained WHY young black people would probably not know who dude is. So yes it IS about race. So I will continue.
Thanks. 
pimp.gif

it does have to do with race before lil wayne recent blown up... i bet the average white person or esp older ones knew what bling bling etc was but couldnt name the members of cash money... same way you ask the average black person bout rock couldnt tell you much, yet have played guitar hero 100 times.

Or avg white person who loves rock couldnt name some ogs of rock outside of maybe jimi hendrix... so this could go back and forth

It has everything to do with race. Growing up in Oakland, you know how many bands I had heard of by the time I was 18? 0. None. Not even one.

I hadn't heard a backstreet boys song or n'sync or any of those dudes who were apparently popular simply because I was never exposed to it. I didn't have
white people at my schools like that so I would never come across. Never watched MTV. It was almost as if I lived exclusively in this rap bubble.

So it's very reasonable to understand how someone would not know who Paul McCartney is.

No John Lennon though? 
alien.gif

Heard the name before. If I was handed a blank piece of paper with his name of it asking me to write who he was I wouldn't have known before you just told me. 

Sue me.

You see the problem is we live in the digital age. In this age ignorance, more often than not, is willful. People like yourselves rather buck and ask "why should I" than take the time to educate yourself. In the time its taking you to argue your point you could've educated yourself fully on Paul McCartney's legacy. And it's not just with music. People are willfully ignorant on many topics. Personally, the way I was raised is if you don't know something you ask. That was before the internet age. Now if you don't know something its your responsibility to school yourself.

Originally Posted by AG 47

It has everything to do with race. Growing up in Oakland, you know how many bands I had heard of by the time I was 18? 0. None. Not even one.

I hadn't heard a backstreet boys song or n'sync or any of those dudes who were apparently popular simply because I was never exposed to it. I didn't have
white people at my schools like that so I would never come across. Never watched MTV. It was almost as if I lived exclusively in this rap bubble.

So it's very reasonable to understand how someone would not know who Paul McCartney is.
that's like saying you don't know who Mickey Mantle is because you only watch Football 

Who said it wasn't okay to not know them? It's perfectly fine. I just don't consider yourself a big fan of music when you can't name the lead singer of the most famous and best-selling band to have ever existed. Yes that is fact. You don't have to listen to any of their songs. You don't have to like them. It just tells me about a bubble. I'm not saying you need to know him but any cursory look into music should reveal The Beatles and Lennon-McCartney. It just should.

I'm trying to think of comparisons on the fly but it's as if a basketball fan does not know of Bill Russell. That tells me a lot.

No John Lennon though? 
alien.gif

Sue me.

You see the problem is we live in the digital age. In this age ignorance, more often than not, is willful. People like yourselves rather buck and ask "why should I" than take the time to educate yourself. In the time its taking you to argue your point you could've educated yourself fully on Paul McCartney's legacy. And it's not just with music. People are willfully ignorant on many topics. Personally, the way I was raised is if you don't know something you ask. That was before the internet age. Now if you don't know something its your responsibility to school yourself.

THIS

No John Lennon though? 
alien.gif

Sue me.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 DC stays one of the most ignorant people on this board. Homie tried to tell me he went to Naval Academy just to prove a point about college rings in that thread. The odds of DC even having an associates degree is about 2%. 

How does he not know who John Lennon is? Even that idiot Lil Wayne made a song about him 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom