is it Really Not OK to Not Know who Paul McCarteny Is???

ham city

Banned
The blatant disgust in the CB thread lead me to google and now I know who Paul McCarteny is. To be fair, I've heard the name before, and if you had given me a multiple choice question asking is Paul McCartney a famous athlete, musician, politician, or historical figure, I probably would have guessed musician.But I still just learned that he was a member of The Beattles and according to Wiki the most succesful recording artist ever.is that really that unacceptable to some of you?Some of the responses in the Chris Brown thread made me think about an exchange I had with a white woman at a party a few weeks back. We had hit it off and had been talking about music for a good min when somehow that pop song by LFO came up or came on and I told her I had no clue who McJagger was and she hit me with equivalent of the "boi bye"
roll.gif
Anybody else not up on game when it comes to these 70s pop icons?

I kno who they are. By face and some music but most def not a fan.
I mean we didnt listen to 70s rock in my household. MJ and Bob were on repeat tho.

It's ok not to know who Paul McCartney is. It's not ok to want people to respect your musical opinion afterwards though. That's like wanting to talk politics but not knowing who Abe Lincoln is. In general you should be knowledgeable of people who have had historical impact in all walks of life. It's called being well-rounded.

I always found it funny that people call others losers for not knowing who someone is. Kind of backwards if you asked me?

But as I said before, young black kids growing up in the hood of TODAY probably wouldn't know who he is. They might know the Beetles, but they probably won't be exposed to them enough to know all of their names. I wouldn't call it a sin at all. They simply aren't exposed to those dudes like that. I don't care if they are the best band of all time. (Depends on who you speak to).

RavageBX wrote:. In general you should be knowledgeable of people who have had historical impact in all walks of life. It's called being well-rounded.
So.....if a "suburban thug" didn't know the names of any of the members of Bone, 36, Immature, B2K, Soul For Real would they be considered musically versed? Or does that only apply for knowing white artists?

McCarteny? McJagger? What the hell is McWrong with you?

laugh.gif
You definitely should be in the know of Sir Paul McCartney if you have any interest in music in general.

Real talk, I've given his new album a few spins, and it's
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

The blatant disgust in the CB thread lead me to google and now I know who Paul McCarteny is. To be fair, I've heard the name before, and if you had given me a multiple choice question asking is Paul McCartney a famous athlete, musician, politician, or historical figure, I probably would have guessed musician.But I still just learned that he was a member of The Beattles and according to Wiki the most succesful recording artist ever.is that really that unacceptable to some of you?Some of the responses in the Chris Brown thread made me think about an exchange I had with a white woman at a party a few weeks back. We had hit it off and had been talking about music for a good min when somehow that pop song by LFO came up or came on and I told her I had no clue who McJagger was and she hit me with equivalent of the "boi bye"
roll.gif
Anybody else not up on game when it comes to these 70s pop icons?
Damn b.

You ain't got the moves like Jagger.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by RavageBX

It's ok not to know who Paul McCartney is. It's not ok to want people to respect your musical opinion afterwards though. That's like wanting to talk politics but not knowing who Abe Lincoln is. In general you should be knowledgeable of people who have had historical impact in all walks of life. It's called being well-rounded.
Well said, Rav. HAM CITY a good dude though.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

RavageBX wrote:. In general you should be knowledgeable of people who have had historical impact in all walks of life. It's called being well-rounded.
So.....if a "suburban thug" didn't know the names of any of the members of Bone, 36, Immature, B2K, Soul For Real would they be considered musically versed? Or does that only apply for knowing white artists?

If you can tell me the historical impact Bone, 3-6, Immature, B2K, and Soul 4 Real have had, then I can see your POV. 

Rav, well said. 

i could only John & Paul out of the Beatles if i was asked without Google to be honest

the people that thought he was Jesse McCartney's father had me rolling tho
laugh.gif

Basically. It's very embarrassing if you listen to a lot of music. 

Pretty much what RavageBX said. Don't expect people to take your musical opinion seriously when you most likely made little effort to broaden your taste.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

If you can tell me the historical impact Bone, 3-6, Immature, B2K, and Soul 4 Real have had, then I can see your POV. 

Rav, well said. 

3-6: Oscar
Bone: Grammy

The rest not so much I just threw those random names out there. But my point was are people only not well versed in music for not knowing white artists? Because there are people that have contributed significantly to the black music scene that some feel a person "should" know.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Rav, well said. 
3-6: Oscar
Bone: Grammy

The rest not so much I just threw those random names out there. But my point was are people only not well versed in music for not knowing white artists? Because there are people that have contributed significantly to the black music scene that some feel a person "should" know.
None of the people/groups you mentioned are/were as prolific and famous as Paul though. It's like saying you're into basketball but you don't know who Jordan is. 

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

None of the people/groups you mentioned are/were as prolific and famous as Paul though. It's like saying you're into basketball but you don't know who Jordan is. 

I know those people weren't on the level of the Beetles. That was the first thing I said. McCartney wouldn't be Jordan though. 
laugh.gif
.  That would be White/Black Mike. 
glasses.gif

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Basically. It's very embarrassing if you listen to a lot of music. 

well seems kinda racial bias.... seeing esp the month it is... i mean you could go out and ask ppl who is bobby seale or eldridge cleaver.. or missed out on the grammys etta james. and outside a few older heads they would have no clue... so are you saying the vast majority of americans are not well rounded

Back
Top Bottom