is it Really Not OK to Not Know who Paul McCarteny Is???

Damn OP how old are you?
laugh.gif

I assumed all those ppl on twitter who didn't know who Paul was were born in 1997 or later.

EDIT

Or maybe if you grew up poor in a broken home/3rd world country

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

RavageBX wrote:. In general you should be knowledgeable of people who have had historical impact in all walks of life. It's called being well-rounded.
So.....if a "suburban thug" didn't know the names of any of the members of Bone, 36, Immature, B2K, Soul For Real would they be considered musically versed? Or does that only apply for knowing white artists?

You stay saying the dumbest *+@@ ever on nt.

HankMoody wrote:
Originally Posted by LDJ

HankMoody wrote:
Who said it wasn't okay to not know them? It's perfectly fine. I just don't consider yourself a big fan of music when you can't name the lead singer of the most famous and best-selling band to have ever existed. Yes that is fact. You don't have to listen to any of their songs. You don't have to like them. It just tells me about a bubble. I'm not saying you need to know him but any cursory look into music should reveal The Beatles and Lennon-McCartney. It just should.

I'm trying to think of comparisons on the fly but it's as if a basketball fan does not know of Bill Russell. That tells me a lot.

i agree with you somewhat but again like i used religion its like saying your a christian and celebrate pagan holidays or have white jesus in your church. shoukd we dismiss and disregard and say most of them are ignorant or shouldnt be taken seriously?

A Christian isn't a fan of religion. He is a fan of Christianity. I completely understand how people will not know Paul McCartney but I am saying that if you consider yourself a big fan of MUSIC, not rap music, not rock music, not whatever, it's basically inexcusable. 

i wasnt saying in the persepctive of being a fan i was saying being die hard about something.... and its die hard christians who worship white jesus and dont know its false... its die hard rock fans who couldnt name one jimi hendrix album. its die hard rap fans who dont know much about blues etc which og rap music... hell its current rappers who couldnt name og rappers past pac.. outside of dre and thats only becaause of the headphones. i mean i like to think im well diverse in some music and yes i know who the beatles are paul etc... but off the top of my head i couldnt name ac/dc breakthrough song. so on and so forth.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

A Christian isn't a fan of religion. He is a fan of Christianity. I completely understand how people will not know Paul McCartney but I am saying that if you consider yourself a big fan of MUSIC, not rap music, not rock music, not whatever, it's basically inexcusable. 
I hear you but the original argument was how can ANYONE not know who Paul McCartney was. Not someone that claimed to be a big music fan. 
"At the end of the day" it is all about certain people not understanding that YOUR WORLD is not equal to EVRYONE'S world. It is very possible for people to grow up in America and not have the same heros and idols that you have. It is very possible. ANd it doesn't mean that the person is any less of an American or any less educated or any more ignorant because there are things in their world that you have no clue of. So it is all about exposure. Exposure. Exposure. 

Agreed. Everyone doesn't know everyone. How anyone could argue otherwise is beyond me. 
But again, if a basketball fan doesn't know Bill Russell, wouldn't that say something to you in the grand scheme of things? 

Agreed. Everyone doesn't know everyone. How anyone could argue otherwise is beyond me. 
But again, if a basketball fan doesn't know Bill Russell, wouldn't that say something to you in the grand scheme of things? 

Not to answer a question with an question but would a baseball fan be in question if he didn't know who Moses Fleetwood was?
And to answer your question, I view the Beetles as 1 group. Not 4 (or however many) individuals. So asking me that question wouldn't get the results you are looking for. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by AlBooBoo5

By the way OP it is Mick Jagger not Mccjagger fyi.

For the Beatles fans who think I'm ignorant, how many of you know anything about the album in this guys avy or the genius behind it?

@StillIn729
I asked what did he contribute to SOCIETY not music. Re-Read before you sass please.
I would like for you to explain your statement of Paul McCartney hasn't gone away. 

That is news to me, since you said he hasn't gone away tell me his significance of the last 15 years.

I will wait.

Originally Posted by cap1229

Do you know who Freddie Mercury is? 
ohwell.gif

Never heard of the dude. No BS.
let's see he sells out world tours on the reg; he did the Superbowl halftime show in 2005 (I know it's not the MTV Awards so it's not as big)
total gross of tours in the 2000's 

Total Gross: $238,755,522 
Total Attendance: 1,870,274 
Number of Shows: 106
Number of Sell-Outs: 85

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]
[/font]

he hasn't done much as you can see

[/font]

this concept is dumb, because nobody knows everything. i can rattle off authors, designers at nike, composers, writers and not everybody would know who they are. Like, "you didnt know that the Naruto anime isnt exactly the same as the manga?",  you're ignorant and not a true fan or anime/manga. Etc. Its just that people like to feel superior by thinking they know more than others. Its just snobbery. Like a little while back where those fat losers posted that video during that campout spotting "hypebeasts".

I can name 3 beatles, I never was a fan of them so I cant rattle off more than 1-3 songs. Doesnt mean I dont like music. Why should I force myself to listen to something I dont really like. And Paul hasnt been relevant in ages, At least we still hear MJ songs around every now and then.

I hear you but the original argument was how can ANYONE not know who Paul McCartney was. Not someone that claimed to be a big music fan. 
"At the end of the day" it is all about certain people not understanding that YOUR WORLD is not equal to EVRYONE'S world. It is very possible for people to grow up in America and not have the same heros and idols that you have. It is very possible. ANd it doesn't mean that the person is any less of an American or any less educated or any more ignorant because there are things in their world that you have no clue of. So it is all about exposure. Exposure. Exposure. 

so shouldnt this question the whole jeremy lin phenom... lets be honest the avg person esp of his race who proclaims to be a fan of bball etc couldnt/dont know about the greats yet if this is said and its obvious truth in this it is seen as being a hater....

Originally Posted by LDJ

HankMoody wrote:
Originally Posted by LDJ

i agree with you somewhat but again like i used religion its like saying your a christian and celebrate pagan holidays or have white jesus in your church. shoukd we dismiss and disregard and say most of them are ignorant or shouldnt be taken seriously?

i wasnt saying in the persepctive of being a fan i was saying being die hard about something.... and its die hard christians who worship white jesus and dont know its false... its die hard rock fans who couldnt name one jimi hendrix album. its die hard rap fans who dont know much about blues etc which og rap music... hell its current rappers who couldnt name og rappers past pac.. outside of dre and thats only becaause of the headphones. i mean i like to think im well diverse in some music and yes i know who the beatles are paul etc... but off the top of my head i couldnt name ac/dc breakthrough song. so on and so forth.

Yea but you know who AC/DC is right? You know they were relevant. It's just basic awareness. Not 99. 
You don't have to know anything about the Beatles but for the name Paul McCartney to not ring a bell is inexcusable for a big fan of music. There is no other way to put it. Just ring a bell. Not know that his 2nd wife had her leg amputated. Ring a bell. 

Originally Posted by StillIn729

let's see he sells out world tours on the reg; he did the Superbowl halftime show in 2005 (I know it's not the MTV Awards so it's not as big)

[/font]

[/font]

Selling out concerts means nothing because most people can't even tell you who is currently touring. What has Paul McCartney done to be relevant to someone that is not typically exposed to the Beetles? Someone that didn't have parents that exposed them to McCartney. The original statement was in reference to what a 17 year old person knows. How does Paul touring worldwide increase his relevance among that demographic? It doesn't.
Try again.

SuperBowl? I am sure if that 17 year old (12 at the time) was watching it, they were probably thinking, "Some old white man." Cheetos break.

So again, what has he done to be relevant in the eyes of that 17 year old person?

Nothing.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

For the Beatles fans who think I'm ignorant, how many of you know anything about the album in this guys avy or the genius behind it?

Especially since it has been sampled so many times by artists that NT loves. 
nerd.gif

And Paul hasnt been relevant in ages

This is kind of what I was getting at. Sure, he may still sellout shows, but so does Dipset. But does that mean they're gaining new fans? Are we hearing Paul's new song on the radio? Or his latest whatever whatever. Nope.

Not to mention his "contribution to society." Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single thing he's done for my society.

Originally Posted by LDJ

so shouldnt this question the whole jeremy lin phenom... lets be honest the avg person esp of his race who proclaims to be a fan of bball etc couldnt/dont know about the greats yet if this is said and its obvious truth in this it is seen as being a hater....

And? When did I say the entire Lin bandwagon consisted of well-versed basketball fans? 

nerd.gif

Herbie Hancock deserves respect.

Originally Posted by blakep267

this concept is dumb, because nobody knows everything. i can rattle off authors, designers at nike, composers, writers and not everybody would know who they are. Like, you didnt know that the Naruto anime isnt exactly the same as the manga? you're ignorant and not a true fan or anime/manga. Etc. Its just that people like to feel superior by thinking they know more than others.

I can name 3 beatles, I never was a fan of them so I cant rattle off more than 1-3 songs. Doesnt mean I dont like music. Why should I force myself to listen to something I dont really like. And Paul hasnt been relevant in ages, At least we still here MJ songs around every now and then.
This.
People always want to be critical.

Im certain if you do a random survey on the street many people will not know who this guy is.

I knew about George before I knew about Paul M.

[/font]

[/font]

Selling out concerts means nothing because most people can't even tell you who is currently touring. What has Paul McCartney done to be relevant to someone that is not typically exposed to the Beetles? Someone that didn't have parents that exposed them to McCartney. The original statement was in reference to what a 17 year old person knows. How does Paul touring worldwide increase his relevance among that demographic? It doesn't.
Try again.

SuperBowl? I am sure if that 17 year old (12 at the time) was watching it, they were probably thinking, "Some old white man." Cheetos break.

So again, what has he done to be relevant in the eyes of that 17 year old person?

Nothing.

you just refuse to ever take an L (you do take many on here) so instead you change the argument every time you reply and repeat...it's clear you just like to argue with people on here 
I mean you referenced the Beatles to B2K, enough said 
laugh.gif

This reminds me of that thread where those fat dudes made a video at a sneaker campout and started asking the people online all sorts of sneaker and basketball trivia and started laughing at the people who didnt know.
You guys remember how lame we thought those dudes were for doing that?

Guess what?

Originally Posted by cap1229

nerd.gif

Herbie Hancock deserves respect.

Survival of the Fittest.

you just refuse to ever take an L (you do take many on here) so instead you change the argument every time you reply and repeat...it's clear you just like to argue with people on here 
I mean you referenced the Beatles to B2K, enough said 
laugh.gif

I didn't change any argument. The ORIGINAL statement was a 17 year old didn't know Whitney. You then said Paul has never left the limelight. I didn't change ANYTHING.
So again I ask, what has Paul done within the last 15 years that would cause THAT 17 year old to know who the hell he is?

I will continue to wait. 

Continue to dodge the discussion and throw insults in my direction. I see your game cuz.

Originally Posted by Regis

This reminds me of that thread where those fat dudes made a video at a sneaker campout and started asking the people online all sorts of sneaker and basketball trivia.

Guess what?

Do you know who Elvis is? The name. Not his greatest hits. The name. 
We are talking about the writer of the most covered song in the history of modern music. Yes, McCartney is that. Again. The name. Not his greatest hits. Not the words to "Yesterday." Just the name. 

Originally Posted by Regis

This reminds me of that thread where those fat dudes made a video at a sneaker campout and started asking the people online all sorts of sneaker and basketball trivia and started laughing at the people who didnt know.

Guess what?
laugh.gif

Exactly 

Back
Top Bottom