Is it time to break up the Celtics?

I dunno about you, but the Celtics have been looking pretty old this year.

Jermaino O'Neal barely played until the playoffs.   Shaq has been out almost half the year.  Garnett's knee is a constant problem (it failed him the second half of the game in Miami).  Paul Pierce is not the same player he was three years ago when they won the ring.  And Ray Allen is not as consistent as he was even last year.  The current Celtics team can't compete with the more athletic teams out there, they're constantly injured, and aside from Rondo, their best players (and four of their starters) are all over 34 years old.  When they were put together in 08, they said themselves that they have a 2-3 year window to win as many championships as they could, and this postseason showed that window is closed.   If not for them Murrland Boys (West and Green) they might have been swept by the Heat.

So is it time to blow up this team, like Magic said with the Lakers?  Or are they a piece or two away from contending again?  Mind you, Bill Russell is not walking thru that door. Bob Cousy and Larry Bird are not walking thru that door.  Shaq just walked (hobbled) out that door, and the Celtics have more enemies than friends around the league.

What do you think?

I dunno about you, but the Celtics have been looking pretty old this year.

Jermaino O'Neal barely played until the playoffs.   Shaq has been out almost half the year.  Garnett's knee is a constant problem (it failed him the second half of the game in Miami).  Paul Pierce is not the same player he was three years ago when they won the ring.  And Ray Allen is not as consistent as he was even last year.  The current Celtics team can't compete with the more athletic teams out there, they're constantly injured, and aside from Rondo, their best players (and four of their starters) are all over 34 years old.  When they were put together in 08, they said themselves that they have a 2-3 year window to win as many championships as they could, and this postseason showed that window is closed.   If not for them Murrland Boys (West and Green) they might have been swept by the Heat.

So is it time to blow up this team, like Magic said with the Lakers?  Or are they a piece or two away from contending again?  Mind you, Bill Russell is not walking thru that door. Bob Cousy and Larry Bird are not walking thru that door.  Shaq just walked (hobbled) out that door, and the Celtics have more enemies than friends around the league.

What do you think?

They still have another year left in them imo, they just need a younger more reliable bench.

Shaq/JO are irrelevant anyways, both non contributers.

They still have another year left in them imo, they just need a younger more reliable bench.

Shaq/JO are irrelevant anyways, both non contributers.

I will be appalled if they get much in value for any of the Big 3 in terms of rebuilding or reloading to try and maintain their status.

I will be appalled if they get much in value for any of the Big 3 in terms of rebuilding or reloading to try and maintain their status.

I honestly thought they were cooked after last year and admitted I was wrong for thinking that during the reg season...but then the playoffs started and I remembered why I thought they were cooked in the first place so yes they should be blown up because they are not winning a chip with this core ever again.

I honestly thought they were cooked after last year and admitted I was wrong for thinking that during the reg season...but then the playoffs started and I remembered why I thought they were cooked in the first place so yes they should be blown up because they are not winning a chip with this core ever again.

And they have no big man now with Perk gone.  I dunno how good he would have been anyways his knee is still a problem in OKC

And they have no big man now with Perk gone.  I dunno how good he would have been anyways his knee is still a problem in OKC

After they lose in the 1st round next season.

With Doc's new contract and some ppl thinking he'll be fired a few years later do yall think Ainge gets the boot too? I don't think he's a guy that'll be able to construct a team that can beat the Heat and then win in the finals.

If you break up the Big 4 though I think you can get the right pieces to bounce back quickly if the right person makes the right moves.

After they lose in the 1st round next season.

With Doc's new contract and some ppl thinking he'll be fired a few years later do yall think Ainge gets the boot too? I don't think he's a guy that'll be able to construct a team that can beat the Heat and then win in the finals.

If you break up the Big 4 though I think you can get the right pieces to bounce back quickly if the right person makes the right moves.

Nothing is gonna get blown up this summer. The summer of 2012 is when the rebuilding process begins.

Nothing is gonna get blown up this summer. The summer of 2012 is when the rebuilding process begins.

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

Would hate to see the Celtics suffer through the "re-loading" years just to stay afloat. Word to the Spurs.

Why?  Have nothing against them but it's good to see new teams winning now...

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

Would hate to see the Celtics suffer through the "re-loading" years just to stay afloat. Word to the Spurs.

Why?  Have nothing against them but it's good to see new teams winning now...

How would one go about doing that?

Exactly.
laugh.gif

Even if they wanted to, it's not really possible.

w6trf7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom