Is Peyton Manning the most overrated qb of all time?

Does this loss hurt his legacy? Of course it does. You'd have to be delusional not to thing so, but to go ahead and say he's overrated is just foolish. The man has done everything he could do and had one of the greatest seasons a QB can have. But like what Mez said, "...no one was stopping Seattle."

I think us talking about Peyton takes away what Seattle has done tonight. In a pass friendly league, they completely suffocated Denver. There's so much you can do to get around that. Peyton isn't a robot, you pressure him and he'll make mistakes. Any QB will suffer from those same conditions as well.

Championship do mean a lot in professional sports, but it doesn't tip the scale that drastically. I mean look at the whole MJ vs Blll Russell debate. Russell has 11 rings, does that make him better than MJ? Robert Horry has 5 NBA titles. Is he as "great" as Kobe?

Someone else said that Football isn't a 1-on-1 sport either. Denver's defense couldn't tackle anyone and hold the Seattle offense. The Broncos lost this game collectively as a whole. Anyone who focuses this loss on Peyton has no respect for the game and really needs to gain some perspective.

With all this being said, at the end of the day Peyton still has all those records and his numbers will be up in the statical mount rushmore of the NFL. This is most likely not his last Super Bowl either. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets another chance to win it one last. The man will go down as one of the greatest QB's to have ever played and his name will be remembered for generations to come.

Does this loss hurt his legacy? Of course it does. You'd have to be delusional not to thing so, but to go ahead and say he's overrated is just foolish. The man has done everything he could do and had one of the greatest seasons a QB can have. But like what Mez said, "...no one was stopping Seattle."

I think us talking about Peyton takes away what Seattle has done tonight. In a pass friendly league, they completely suffocated Denver. There's so much you can do to get around that. Peyton isn't a robot, you pressure him and he'll make mistakes. Any QB will suffer from those same conditions as well.

Championship do mean a lot in professional sports, but it doesn't tip the scale that drastically. I mean look at the whole MJ vs Blll Russell debate. Russell has 11 rings, does that make him better than MJ? Robert Horry has 5 NBA titles. Is he as "great" as Kobe?

Someone else said that Football isn't a 1-on-1 sport either. Denver's defense couldn't tackle anyone and hold the Seattle offense. The Broncos lost this game collectively as a whole. Anyone who focuses this loss on Peyton has no respect for the game and really needs to gain some perspective.

With all this being said, at the end of the day Peyton still has all those records and his numbers will be up in the statical mount rushmore of the NFL. This is most likely not his last Super Bowl either. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets another chance to win it one last. The man will go down as one of the greatest QB's to have ever played and his name will be remembered for generations to come.

Peyton is one of the greats...IMO he will be one of the great Head Coaches as well. With that being said he is not the greatest QB of his generation nor of all time. There are 3 other qbs to win 2 or more rings during his tenure of 15 yrs. One is his younger, and definitely less talented, brother. Much to the chagrin of my favorite player TB12.

Last edited by a moderator:
They did lose the game as a whole entire unit but Peyton had a very bad game, and this isn't the first or second time its happened in a big game for him. More like the 12th or so.

When a guy puts up amazing numbers like that then plays underwhelming, the criticism is there and inevitable. Before tonight the least points they scored in a game all season was 20. Peyton was getting praised, interviewed, and getting all the individual accolades for how great he was when his entire team beat San Diego and New England. It was seen as Peyton beat Brady to go to the Super Bowl when Denver's defense played amazing in those games but were a footnote in Peyton mannings journey.

Had they won tonight the headlines would've been how Peyton manning cemented his legacy, how Peyton manning made his stamp as one of the all time greats.

All that's fine and all and I don't mind recognizing the individual success of someone but with that he deserves the scrutiny and criticism when they fail.

We gave Matt Schaub crap for throwing back to back to back pick 6's when the texans lost as a team. Peyton manning threw pick 6's in back to back Super Bowls. He shouldn't get a pass that's all I'm saying.

This loss definitely hurts his legacy but he isn't overrated. Peyton is still one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game. No way this One game can just diminish his body of work.

What about the pick 6 to Tracy porter in Super Bowl 44, what about the 41-0 loss to the jets In the playoffs, what about the loss to 8-8 San Diego in 09, what about going 0-4 against Florida while at Tennessee, what about losing to the 6 seed steelers despite getting the break of a lifetime on the phantom no call on a polomalu interception, or the loss to a charger team at home in the playoffs with billy volek starting most the second half and Tomlinson injured, where he had the ball in his hands in the last minute and San Diego stopped them etc.

This one game doesn't define him. That wouldn't be fair. However his playoff track record and history of dissappointing performances does speak volumes and should be taken into consideration.

Probably in the minority here, but I still think Peyton's the greatest QB to ever play the game...

However, that's not to be construed as 'if I had one game to win, I choose Peyton as my QB.' That's probably going to Montana, with Tom as choice #2.

What about the pick 6 to Tracy porter in Super Bowl 44, what about the 41-0 loss to the jets In the playoffs, what about the loss to 8-8 San Diego in 09, what about going 0-4 against Florida while at Tennessee, what about losing to the 6 seed steelers despite getting the break of a lifetime on the phantom no call on a polomalu interception, or the loss to a charger team at home in the playoffs with billy volek starting most the second half and Tomlinson injured, where he had the ball in his hands in the last minute and San Diego stopped them etc.

This one game doesn't define him. That wouldn't be fair. However his playoff track record and history of dissappointing performances does speak volumes and should be taken into consideration.

As a saints fan (new orleans native) the pick to Porter is the singlehanded greatest play in the franchises history. As an NFL fan, the pass Manning threw on that play was one of the laziest I've ever seen. He had no respect for the saints and figured he would drive down and tie up the game at will. How did that turn out? Porter always has a beer waiting in NOLA for me. :tongue:

Probably in the minority here, but I still think Peyton's the greatest QB to ever play the game...

However, that's not to be construed as 'if I had one game to win, I choose Peyton as my QB.' That's probably going to Montana, with Tom as choice #2.

Repped. I agree. At least with Montana and Brady lol.

there wasn't a team in the league that stood a chance against the Seahawks defense tonight.

although i'll say that it didn't seem like the Broncos had a single leader out there, including from the coaching staff.

Last edited:
there wasn't a team in the league that stood a chance against the Seahawks defense tonight.

although i'll say that it didn't seem like the Broncos had a single leader out there, including from the coaching staff.

Outgunned, outmanned, outcoached, outplayed. Most lopsided SuperBowl Ive seen since 93. Didnt watch the Ravens/Giants debacle.

Not liking the disdain towards Peyton. I'll say it's getting harder and harder to defend him, but he's damn near revolutionary for the QB position with all the know-how he possesses.

Quarterback is a *****. Sucks for Peyton supporters to juxtapose against the Brady's and Montana's because regardless of his unprecedented skill level, rings are what talk louder to most than any of the behind-the-curtain nuances this guy has mastered. Just doesn't do it in the SB though, right? I understand.

Not liking the disdain towards Peyton. I'll say it's getting harder and harder to defend him, but he's damn near revolutionary for the QB position with all the know-how he possesses.

Quarterback is a *****. Sucks for Peyton supporters to juxtapose against the Brady's and Montana's because regardless of his unprecedented skill level, rings are what talk louder to most than any of the behind-the-curtain nuances this guy has mastered. Just doesn't do it in the SB though, right? I understand.

Precisely. Peyton is a master of his craft. But much like Lebron before he decided he was the best player not only in the regular season but in the playoffs as well, the older Manning can simply not get it done when it counts the most. Maybe it's chance, maybe it's lack of guts. Whatever it is it will haunt his legacy unless he pulls an Elway.

I don't see any disdain at all. I think we all acknowledge Peyton as a top 10 qb of all time. That's an amazing accomplishment in its own right. I think we all recognize the record numbers he put up and give him props for them. I think we all think he's a great guy who its hard to dislike.

Make no mistake here its no disdain for the guy. But if we're going to praise all the good about him and put him on that high of a pedestal, its only fair to point out his postseason struggles because they are very real and have been occurring regularly for years now.

I don't mind the individual praise of him when its deserved and earned. However pointing out his flaws isn't disdain. Ill admit the most overrated of all time suggestion is a reach on my part but I do feel he's overrated when you consider where alot of people, both regular people and sports media view him in terms of all time great qb's

:lol: at this thread. Peyton didn't play well, but let's not act like he lost the game on his own. The Denver offensive line was atrocious today. He also didn't play special teams

He didn't play special teams last year either when his special teams put up 14 points against the ravens so they could even make it to overtime in the first place in that playoff game.

:lol: at this thread. Peyton didn't play well, but let's not act like he lost the game on his own. The Denver offensive line was atrocious today. He also didn't play special teams

Did the special teams/defense throw two picks? That was enuff to beat their sorry *** offense tonight.

I don't see any disdain at all. I think we all acknowledge Peyton as a top 10 qb of all time. That's an amazing accomplishment in its own right. I think we all recognize the record numbers he put up and give him props for them. I think we all think he's a great guy who its hard to dislike.

Make no mistake here its no disdain for the guy. But if we're going to praise all the good about him and put him on that high of a pedestal, its only fair to point out his postseason struggles because they are very real and have been occurring regularly for years now.

I don't mind the individual praise of him when its deserved and earned. However pointing out his flaws isn't disdain. Ill admit the most overrated of all time suggestion is a reach on my part but I do feel he's overrated when you consider where alot of people, both regular people and sports media view him in terms of all time great qb's

Disdain was probably a harsh word and not the correct one for what I mean to say. You're right.

Now, I didn't read every post so it wasn't towards anyone directly, but just the general tone of the thread seemed to seek trying to discredit Peyton simply because of playoff/SB downfalls. I think there is definite merit to some of the claims, but I don't want the weight of those pitfalls to define Peyton because the load he shoulders is ridiculous.

However, like I have admitted to -- It's harder to defend him after playoff/SB appearances that constantly underwhelm. This sounds silly, but I'm beginning to wonder if Peyton carries too much of the load to a point where it's a detriment. Probably would be a phenomenal coach.

Last edited:

Disdain was probably a harsh word. You're right.

Now, I didn't read every post so it wasn't towards anyone directly, but just the general tone of the thread seemed to seek trying to discredit Peyton simply because of playoff/SB downfalls. I think there is definite merit to some of the claims, but I don't want the weight of those pitfalls to define Peyton because the load he shoulders is ridiculous.

However, like I have admitted to -- It's harder to defend him after playoff/SB appearances that constantly underwhelm. This sounds silly, but I'm beginning to wonder if Peyton carries too much of the load to a point where it's a detriment. Probably would be a phenomenal coach.

Will be an amazing coach. Is an amazing player. Has been to the top of the mountain at all levels possible as a pro. A Marino at best though minus the one ring against a literally ******ed QB.

Malone never won though. He also didn't change a precedent with how effective the mind truly is in terms of preparation and knowledge being a bigger influence on his success than independent skill level and physical prowess.

I see where you're coming from though. Just trying to lessen the blow, to be honest.

Last edited:
On your last part. I do personally feel like he tries to do too much at times and overanalyzes things to the point where it becomes a detriment at times. Example is all the audibiling on the first play. That early I would think its best to establish some type of tempo early before doing all that extra stuff.

I know no losing Super Bowl team has made it back the following year since the 93 bills but last years patriots and this years 49ers came pretty damn close. I think luck is a year away from having the colts as a for sure Super Bowl comtender, the patriots will be in the mix but barring injuries, I wouldn't be surprised to see Denver make it back next season regardless of how hard it is for Super Bowl losers to make it back.

Everything Cedric Ceballos said is right.

The truth and facts upsets some people.

america really has a love for their country southern quarterbacks.

They love the pick up truck driving, trucker hat wearing, dog loving QB's.

Whether Favre or Manning.

weak. smells of troll. Both are first ballot HOFers

On your last part. I do personally feel like he tries to do too much at times and overanalyzes things to the point where it becomes a detriment at times. Example is all the audibiling on the first play. That early I would think its best to establish some type of tempo early before doing all that extra stuff.

This is funny because I definitely remember getting into a debate with my Dad that centered around Manning vs. Brady. My Dad always preferred Brady. "He [Brady] doesn't do all this **** in the pocket (mimics Peyton hopping around) and audible or implement coded cadences that always bring the play-clock to 1 second...He takes the play call, runs it, stands tall and moves efficiently and strikes."

Not those exact words, but definitely along those lines. I would argue in favor of Manning, but always had what he said in the back of my mind. I hate it when he's right. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom