Is Wayne a legend? Or will he ever be?

Wayne's name is already embedded in the pop culture of this decade.

Maybe not legendary in a sense of Elvis, the beatles, Hendrix

but to kids growing up right now? Yes he's a legend.

took me a while to realize everyone should stop being a critic and take it for what it is.

im not a big wayne fan at all but he's been killing it the last few years

laugh.gif
the hate on NT is so blatantly FORCED on here
laugh.gif

if you really think about it closely. Wayne has had an enormous impact on modern music genre, and defitnely over UGK, and some of NT refers to them as"legends".

Originally Posted by LDJ

People are getting who they favs are confused with legend. A legend is an undeniable notoriety/acknowledgement or recognition. Like i dont particularly care for the beatles but to say they arent legends is stupid. I aint feeling elvis at all what so ever but i wouldnt say something a stupid as he isnt a legend. As far as wayne go he pretty much is on his way 2 legend status.

What kills me is ppl say stuff like big l,pun, etc are legends(they are great rappers). They werent even household names at the peak of there careers so how can they be legends. Like mj is a legend, u can go ask anyone have u heard of mj or could u name a mj song and they could. Same cant be said about pun, krs1, epmd, etc. 2pac is a legend, folks who dont listen/never owned a rap album know about/of him. I dont care about rolling stones but i know who they are and if i heard a song of theirs i would recognize it. You ask the average person who big daddy kane is or slick rick or special ed and could u name a song, they gonna look at u crazy.

Now if people wanna debate whether he is a hip hop purist fans based legend thats different.

v ^ yup x50

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

if you really think about it closely. Wayne has had an enormous impact on modern music genre, and defitnely over UGK, and some of NT refers to them as "legends".
Yup.

Weezy will go down as one of the best ever, period.

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

all i know is ... lil wayne has more "good material" than any other rapper not named scarface ... hes put about about 48 thousand trillion songs and he goes hard on like 350 of them ...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

if you really think about it closely. Wayne has had an enormous impact on modern music genre, and defitnely over UGK, and some of NT refers to them as "legends".
indifferent.gif
U KNO WHO TAUGHT WAYNE HOW TO RAP?................................................................

bun-b.jpg

Originally Posted by LuigiTheKing

Do you guys understand what it takes to be a legend?

That word isn't to be thrown around lightly.

Wayne is nowhere near a legend at this point in his career.
smh.gif
QFT, he is just a gay pop legend.

Originally Posted by shoepacalypse

jc619er wrote:

If Wayne never went platinum or even gold for that matter he would not even be considered a great rapper. He gets over on popularity and not talent. Saying that he's going to be a legend because he sold a lot of records is saying that Britney Spears is a better singer than Mariah Carey for her albums sales. He's just a pop star in Rap and his record company knows how to market him right. As for legendary status he will never be that. He didn't change anything in the game. And I know everyone is going to say that he did, but believe me he didn't. He's what Nelly was 10 years ago, a great hook and chorus guy rapping about what's hot right now. And yes 50 was bigger than Wayne is right now. 50 took over when GRODT came out. None of the Carter's had the pull that album did and still does today.

Britney Spears is a better singer than Mariah Carey for her albums sales.

Um that is a horrible analogy. One brittany isnt more popular then mariah. And two mariah is the highest selling female artist of all time lol $@+ are u talking bout.

As for legendary status he will never be that. He didn't change anything in the game.

Revolutionizing or changing something isnt the only facet of being a legend. So are you saying elvis isnt a legend? He didnt change the game of rock. All he did was bite and steal styles etc of black artist,yet he is hailed the king of rock. He isnt even the greatest rock and roll artist of all time. Hell will smith off the fresh prince alone will be a legend. Did he change the tv sitcom game?

A legend is known,has a following, popular, wont be forgotten. Recognized by others outside there field/genre. Wayne is becomming a houshold name. If u cant see that i guess ur blinded by the hate.
This

no hell no. Put on "The Chronic" or "Doggystyle", then play one of those BS carter albums. Compare them to each other. You need flow,rhymes, and beats to be a legend. Wayne has NO flow, NO rhymes. Beats are solid however.

When I put on Keak da Sneak's song "Dat Go" and some ignorant lil wayne lover at my school was like "oh snap thats that wayne beat to"@!$$@ I'm the Bomb like tick tick". I played that wayne song, *@+% was trash, no flow no rhymes, bites off a beat by an artist that isn'twell-known in the game. Can't give credit to wayne for that BS he puts up. Recycled verses everywhere.

Snoop and Dre are an example of legends, Wayne is not.

Wayne does have great album sale #'s; but that doesn't make you a legend.

IMO, I don't think he should. However, he will be considered one w/ time. Time makes every rapper who been consistent for even one yr a legend. That'sthe way the sheep make it

When it comes to music and the title "Legend" I think in terms of:
-Elvis
-MJ
-Beatles
...a handful of others

Correlate it to rap and I think:
-Pac
-B.I.G.

Their impact is UNDENIABLE. These dudes didn't have just an extended high point in their careers. These dudes are LEGENDS.

I'll let yall bastardize the term "classic" all you want but "Legend?" No... I dont even think a lot of yall know what that titleentails...

*Edit
And I'm not even a Pac or Big fan...

s0leFUNK wrote:
-Elvis
-MJ
-Beatles
...a handful of others

-Pac
-B.I.G.

Their impact is UNDENIABLE. These dudes didn't have just an extended high point in their careers. These dudes are LEGENDS.

I'll let yall bastardize the term "classic" all you want but "Legend?" No... I dont even think a lot of yall know what that title entails...

*Edit

Exactly and wayne is on that path,and if he continues he will be. Like i said u can ask a old country white lady, a african in the remote parts of kenya,etc(you get my point) to name some rappers, i garantee pac will be mentioned and snoop will be mentioned possible jay z and diddy as well. Wayne can reaach thatstatus. Again this whole chnged the game did something different doesnt make u a legend. Just look at michael jordan it was his impact that made him a legendit wasnt anything particular he did on the court that got him the legend status. Its ppl who dont like sports watch sports but they recognize who he is evenknow about his shoes etc.

To be truthful big isnt even legendary status(outside of the hip hop community). He was deemed a legend by east coast fans and every1 seem to just say yea hewas a good artist in his limied time, and just rolled with it. He didnt have enough longevity to be a legend. Truth be told mc hammer populaity wise and saleswise did more than big.(mc hammer had his own cereal, did the superbowl, had his own cartoon even had his own action figure) Hip hop fans just say big a legendbecause of how talented he was. To be a legend you transcend beyond your field/genre. Saying big a legend is like saying if lebron just up and retired today,he would be considered goat because of what potentially he could have done.

Look at grezky, alot of minorities esp latino/black dont know about hockey,watch hockey but know who he is. Same for golf you ask some1 to name famous golfersmore then likely arnold palmer and tiger woods will be mentioned. Is wayne at that point now, nah not really, he is a legend for this particular generation.But when he dies,or 15 20 yrs from now will his name be remembered, hard to say.

Originally Posted by mattbrink

no hell no. Put on "The Chronic" or "Doggystyle", then play one of those BS carter albums. Compare them to each other. You need flow, rhymes, and beats to be a legend. Wayne has NO flow, NO rhymes. Beats are solid however.
No Flow or Rhymes
indifferent.gif

Wayne is a legend to his generation you think Dre or Snoop is going to have the same success as Wayne now? No, nor do I think the vice versa would happeneither. Change happens. You think Big Daddy Kane will be able to drop an album that takes the whole hip hop industry by storm?

Originally Posted by yungchris504

Originally Posted by mattbrink

no hell no. Put on "The Chronic" or "Doggystyle", then play one of those BS carter albums. Compare them to each other. You need flow, rhymes, and beats to be a legend. Wayne has NO flow, NO rhymes. Beats are solid however.
No Flow or Rhymes
indifferent.gif

Wayne is a legend to his generation you think Dre or Snoop is going to have the same success as Wayne now? No, nor do I think the vice versa would happen either. Change happens. You think Big Daddy Kane will be able to drop an album that takes the whole hip hop industry by storm?

period. yall be happy with yalls. we got ours

Originally Posted by daddywarbukks

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

if you really think about it closely. Wayne has had an enormous impact on modern music genre, and defitnely over UGK, and some of NT refers to them as
"legends".
Yup.

Weezy will go down as one of the best ever, period.

People dont even consider him a legend so how are you saying hes one of the best ever?
laugh.gif

i love how some of yall really think tangible things like album sales, singles dropped, etc. are what makes you a legend. Biggie a legend and dude dropped 2albums

YES he is a legend. Maybe not to people who grew up on Pac/Big/Hov etc.. But to the more younger crowd most definitely.. You cannot denythat

IncredibleEv wrote:
i love how some of yall really think tangible things like album sales, singles dropped, etc. are what makes you a legend. Biggie a legend and dude dropped 2 albums

It doesnt make u a legend. Notoriety, popularity, and general census make u a legend. Like whether u follow bball into it, or no when u ask the general publicaverage person basketball who name comes to mind more then likely it will be michael jordan. That is not the case with biggie. Is he one of my favorite rappersever yes, but he is a legend in the hip hop community and the hip hop community ONLY. People tend to forget the hip hop community isnt the general census ofthe world.

Biggie name isnt synonymous with rap. Ask the average person rap and they think pac they think snoop. Thats a fact. Like allen iverson will be a legend in thebasketball world but as a whole he wont be a legend. Its like earl "the goat" he is a legend in the nyc streetball scene, he isnt a bball legend.When u think bball his name isnt the first to come to the majorities mind. Does that mean he couldnt/could ball no. Like i said before when u say golf tigername gets mentioned. When u say blues bb king name comes first to mind, whether u own every work of blues/jazz from muddy waters to etta james/billy hollidayor never listened 2 a blues/jazz record in ur life. \

Ppl gotta think outside the burrough/box. The world doesnt revolve around the particular genre of rap music u like. 8ball and MJG will be seen as legends inthe rap community,moreso southern rap community doesnt mean they are legends period.

I liked bdp, but it would be foolish for me 2 say they are undeniable world renown artist. That is what a legend is. As far as are there any in the rap game..... yes, but quite a few seein 1. rap is a very young and premature genre of music, and 2 its just now becoming world recognized by others outside of the hiphop community. Wayne isnt there yet.

Is he one of the most well known established artist in the game...yes.But thats for right now at this moment. Whose to say when its all said and done when uask random ppl to name a rapper off the top of ur head will they say lil wayne. like mj = pop. Some other ppl might be in the limelight for now brittan spearsetc but when its all said and done when some1 says pop music more often then none mj name will be the first mentioned.

Originally Posted by Mathilda Lando

Legend to a generation...?

You're either a legend or your not.

I guess MC Hammer is a legend too?
Exactly my point. MC Hammer was popular at a time. Same as what im saying about biggie etc. Its like this whether u are a atheist, practicecabala, follow hinduism, when christianity comes to mind the first thought to most is either jesus or god. Ppl puttin they beliefs and opinions first andsaying that is the general census of the world. Every1 doesnt feel believe the same as u do.

Originally Posted by blahzee

Originally Posted by LuigiTheKing

Do you guys understand what it takes to be a legend?

That word isn't to be thrown around lightly.

Wayne is nowhere near a legend at this point in his career.
smh.gif
QFT, he is just a gay pop legend.
roll.gif

God do people do this to incite laughter?

Originally Posted by LDJ

s0leFUNK wrote:
-Elvis
-MJ
-Beatles
...a handful of others

-Pac
-B.I.G.

I'll let yall bastardize the term "classic" all you want but "Legend?" No... I dont even think a lot of yall know what that title entails...

*Edit

Exactly and wayne is on that path,and if he continues he will be. Like i said u can ask a old country white lady, a african in the remote parts of kenya,etc (you get my point) to name some rappers, i garantee pac will be mentioned and snoop will be mentioned possible jay z and diddy as well. Wayne can reaach that status. Again this whole chnged the game did something different doesnt make u a legend. Just look at michael jordan it was his impact that made him a legend it wasnt anything particular he did on the court that got him the legend status. Its ppl who dont like sports watch sports but they recognize who he is even know about his shoes etc.

To be truthful big isnt even legendary status(outside of the hip hop community). He was deemed a legend by east coast fans and every1 seem to just say yea he was a good artist in his limied time, and just rolled with it. He didnt have enough longevity to be a legend. Truth be told mc hammer populaity wise and sales wise did more than big.(mc hammer had his own cereal, did the superbowl, had his own cartoon even had his own action figure) Hip hop fans just say big a legend because of how talented he was. To be a legend you transcend beyond your field/genre. Saying big a legend is like saying if lebron just up and retired today, he would be considered goat because of what potentially he could have done.

Look at grezky, alot of minorities esp latino/black dont know about hockey,watch hockey but know who he is. Same for golf you ask some1 to name famous golfers more then likely arnold palmer and tiger woods will be mentioned. Is wayne at that point now, nah not really, he is a legend for this particular generation. But when he dies,or 15 20 yrs from now will his name be remembered, hard to say.
1) Potential.. a lot have potential..

2) You. Cant. Be. Serious. His impact came from what he did on the court and how consistently he did it during an era in the NBA where there was a fairdistribution of talent throughout the league.

3) Again, that is why I say a lot of you don't know what it means to be a legend but I dont blame it entirely on you. Rap is still a very young genre. Only people you can say are legends are those you founded it and those who expanded it. A legend stands the test of time. You may not have witnessed the riseof the legend, the dominance, etc.. but no matter how many years removed you are you at least know the legend. Do I think Wayne will be that? Personally, nobecause I don't see him as anything more than "whats currently hot in the streets."

Is Wayne on the path to being a legend? If so, he's only at step one.. mass acceptance. How many artists have reached that and faded away? Plenty..

Only potential legend I see right now is Jay-Z.
Jay-Z = Brett Favre (Done did it all, still doing it but when its all over he will be a legend)
Lil Wayne = Adrian Peterson (Best RB out now but I'm not gonna go call him a legend)

Originally Posted by henz0

YES he is a legend. Maybe not to people who grew up on Pac/Big/Hov etc.. But to the more younger crowd most definitely.. You cannot deny that

If Henz$ says so....

Back
Top Bottom